Pit Bull Laws in Montana

Posted in the Billings Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tami

United States

#1 Mar 19, 2006
My husband is thinking about taking a job in Billings, MT. He would like to know what the laws are there in regards to Pit Bulls. Any information would be greatly appericiated. I can also be emailed at [email protected]
2POK4SURE

AOL

#2 Jun 2, 2007
Tami wrote:
My husband is thinking about taking a job in Billings, MT. He would like to know what the laws are there in regards to Pit Bulls. Any information would be greatly appericiated. I can also be emailed at [email protected]
NONE...NO LAWS...THEY ARE ALL OVER AND ALWAYS 4SALE IN THE PAPERS..HAVE FUN IN BILLINGS, ITS A GREAT TOWN.
Sophies Mom

Hamilton, MT

#3 Jul 1, 2007
While there are no Pit Bull laws, per se, there are laws within the city limits of Billings regarding dogs running loose and off the leash. We do have an active animal control department. Dogs must be kept on leashes and under control of their owners. A good secure, fenced in yard is a plus. But if your pet gets loose and someone calls animal control, don't be surprised at the hefty fee to get them out of doggy jail.
Make sure their rabies shots and other vaccinations are up to date to reduce these fines.
As a home owner in a nice middle class residential area, I beg, even plead with you, don't allow your dog piles to make a mess of other people's lawns! It's an issue here, especially with neighbors who don't care where their animals go, as long as it's not on THEIR own lawns.
As a former owner of a pit bull, I know that not every animal in the breed is a disaster waiting to happen. Mine was a big, goofy looking clown with an ugly mug and a love of my son and all his little friends. She was wary of strangers and a good watch dog, but a big softy where little ones were concerned.
Bring on your Pit Bull! Just remember responsible ownership and you'll get on in Billings just fine.
Michelle

Clifton, CO

#5 Jan 21, 2009
Unfortunately Billings and the rest of Montana is trying to pretend to be a large metropolis. They are trying to ban them. It's sick
Elisabeth

Alamosa, CO

#6 Jan 22, 2009
H.B 191 was presented in an open hearing today in Helena. It is a bill being sponsored by a Billings legislator. In essence, the bill would ban all pit bull and pit bull-like dogs in the state. Not only would they be banned, but they would be rounded up and euthanized. I went to the Capitol, there were throngs of people opposed there. Only 3 people (including the sponsor) spoke for the bill. I urge everyone to contact the legislators and express your opinions. Hopefully this proposed bill will be tabled, but keep an eye on it!
BobinHelena

Helena, MT

#7 Jan 23, 2009
The proposal to ban American Bull Dogs was killed in committee this go round, however you will want to keep an eye on the local city dog ordinances. Cities and Counties in Montana tend to be more papel and autocratic than the state government.
sweetfilla28

La Junta, CO

#8 Jan 27, 2009
I am a billings resident and an American Pitbull Terrier owner. My dog is a loyal companion and good natured. What people need to understand is that you need to punish the deed not the breed. Any dog can have aggressive tendencies. It's how they are raised and cared for that decides how they react in a particular situation. Breed specific legislation does absolutely no good in addressing the real issue. BSL is like hitting the "EASY" button. My dogs would rather lick you to death than actually bite. Yeah move to B-Town. It's a great place with friendly faces.
Stephanie

Billings, MT

#9 Feb 2, 2009
I am a proud owner of an adopted Staffordshire that no one wanted. He was a little goofy, but all he needed was a little training and a LOT of love. This whole issue of banning "pit bulls" is not a new one.I owned a wonderful dog in the mid 80's and early 90's when my oldest son was just little and guess what? The state I lived in at the time tried this same exact thing! These dogs were originally bred to be protectors of our children and homes, and it is a shame that SOME people have ruined the reputation of these beautiful animals by teaching them to be "bad". The government should go after the humans that are causing the problem, not the dogs who have no choice but to do what they are taught! Besides, don't we have better things to worry about in this day and age? P.S. I will take my dog anywhere, anytime to prove that all "pit bulls" are not bed!
wags

United States

#10 Feb 3, 2009
You must know the view on pit bulls if you live in Texas. Except for pit bull owners they are not wanted here either.
BigDaddyPit

Anaconda, MT

#11 Feb 21, 2011
wags wrote:
You must know the view on pit bulls if you live in Texas. Except for pit bull owners they are not wanted here either.
look dude just cuz you don't like pit bulls keep your comments to your self pit bulls are one of the sweetest dog anyone can own i've had my 2 year old pit around my 3 month old nephew and he protects that kid as he would me, people like you are not welcome nor wanted here
Dogsrcool

Billings, MT

#12 Feb 22, 2011
Any dog can be aggressive doesn't matter the breed! Whatever u train the dog to be is up to you.
BullyDogLover

Bronx, NY

#13 Apr 17, 2011
It because of the ignorance of people like wags that wonderful animals are euthanized an these ignorant breed specific laws are passed. If you know nothing about the breed then you really don't have an accurate opinion to give. I'v grown up around them, rescued them from bad owners and horrible abuse. To solve the real problem ban bad owners from owning them an abusing them an pass specific dog "owner" laws regarding vicious dogs to put it on the owners to be responsible for their dogs of ALL breeds. An educate lanlords so these breeds are allowed homes instead of rescue shelters.
wags

United States

#14 Apr 27, 2011
BigDaddyPit wrote:
<quoted text>
look dude just cuz you don't like pit bulls keep your comments to your self pit bulls are one of the sweetest dog anyone can own i've had my 2 year old pit around my 3 month old nephew and he protects that kid as he would me, people like you are not welcome nor wanted here
Just because you want to own a dangerous dog doesn't mean that most of Billings wants them here! People like you and your killer breed are not welcome nor wanted here (that is the opinion of most of the city's residents). I hope that you've informed your nephew's parents the danger your putting your nephew in when you bring you pit bull around him. Keep "your" comments to your self, pit bulls are the number one dog causing death to other animals and dog caused injuries to people in Billings, they account for the majority of animal calls in Billings and Yellowstone County.
chadly

Bozeman, MT

#15 Apr 27, 2011
wags wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you want to own a dangerous dog doesn't mean that most of Billings wants them here! People like you and your killer breed are not welcome nor wanted here (that is the opinion of most of the city's residents). I hope that you've informed your nephew's parents the danger your putting your nephew in when you bring you pit bull around him. Keep "your" comments to your self, pit bulls are the number one dog causing death to other animals and dog caused injuries to people in Billings, they account for the majority of animal calls in Billings and Yellowstone County.
your just bein ignorant.... First Do You own A pit Ive Owned @ and i own a 7 week old red nosed pit. My SON can climb all over him yank his ears and lay on him with no protest our labs arent even that patient with my little ones ... People like you Fear the unknown until youve been there done that try growin a pair buyin one an seein how it does cuz the vet took my female on a report of a stray brought her back to me and told me she was the nicest tempered dog "DOG" hed ever met and she would start a fight but if a fight was started she would certainly finish it this came from a 72 hour qaurintine that proved that my pit was nicer than most labs or other breeds .... so instaed of being afraid try embracing these animals a pit truly is mans best friend they are fiercly loyal to there owners and will protect you in any matter of threat .... my opinion ive owned german shepards labs chiuahuas and pits of all the pit has best my best companion
chadly

Bozeman, MT

#16 Apr 27, 2011
2 my bad ive owned 2 pits before i got my 7 week old male pit pup
chadly

Bozeman, MT

#17 Apr 27, 2011
an she wouldnt start a fight but she would finish it if it came to her "lots OF TYPOS LOL"
chadly

Bozeman, MT

#18 Apr 27, 2011
and im in billings not gillete
Stella

Billings, MT

#19 Jan 28, 2012
Leave Pit Bulls alone!!! They are not bad dogs, they just get stuck with bad owners because they look tough. If your going to ban a breed ban a chiuaua they are more likely to bite someone.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#20 Jan 30, 2012
All pit bulls should be euthinized, they are very dangerous animals
Save our children

United States

#21 Jan 30, 2012
Pit bulls need to be sent to Korea for food.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Billings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Iso opiates (May '16) Nov 15 Loulou2018 3
Hilleary lapp Nov 8 Curious 1
girls looking to sext guys (Oct '15) Oct 23 young fm 78six877... 4
Poll Are White people superior to Black people? (Feb '09) Sep '17 mythoughts 228
beware--city has slanderous policies (Mar '16) Aug '17 Teej 4
Hilleary lapp Aug '17 Curious 1
Has anyone seen this guy? Please look! (Mar '09) Jul '17 tiger_-_dad 3

Billings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Billings Mortgages