Missouri's Prop C: Voters Set to Challenge Health Reform

Full story: TIME.com 18,907
Missouri voters go to the polls Tuesday for the first-in-the-nation referendum on President Obama's health care plan. Full Story
are you serious

Bloomfield, MO

#20045 Jan 19, 2014
Are you writing a book or just like to hear yourself talk.
Everyday Joe wrote:
A senior fellow with the Family Research Council says the Obama administration has greatly undermined religious liberty – both home and abroad – and in the process weakened American foreign policy.
Ken Blackwell is the senior fellow for family empowerment at the Family Research Council in Washington, DC. The former secretary of state for Ohio also serves on the faculty of the Liberty University School of Law, and is a senior fellow at the American Civil Rights Union.
"I believe that history may record that the Obama administration is the most anti-Christian, anti-Israel administration in United States history," he tells OneNewsNow.
In a recent column in which he accuses of the president "quenching America's sacred fire," Blackwell appeals to the administration to change course because he believes religious freedom is the most important of human rights and that without it people exist only as political or economic entities – not as free individuals.
Blackwell believes the ObamaCare mandates on people of faith provide a good example, as does the president's omitting any mention of God in speeches and limiting religious freedom in the military.
Looking abroad, the FRC fellow contends President Obama "has been the least supportive of religious liberty as a real strong part of our foreign policy."
The White House supported and provided financial aid to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, which was finally ousted by the people – but ignored was the persecution of Coptic Christians in the same country.
Religious freedom, concludes Blackwell, is a sacred right and "an integral part of American exceptionalism. It is what makes us free," he says, "because we believe that our human rights come from God, not from government."
Blackwell says it can be turned around but people of faith need to push back when government steps on our human rights and that's starting now.
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20046 Jan 19, 2014
Christians in Conflict over Obamacare

It is possible that historians will look back on 2013 as a watershed in the relationship of Christianity to American culture. I say this because, while Christians have always needed to face what we might call "soft persecution" in the form of social and career consequences, it seems that starting this year we may experience official and legal persecution for upholding basic Christian values in the face of intolerant government demands. If this is true, it is essential that Christians not shrink back from facing this affliction. If the time has come for believers to accept the kind of persecution experienced elsewhere in the world - China, the Middle East, and Africa - then true disciples of Christ must embrace this challenge with courage, conviction, and prayer. http://www.reformation21.org/articles/christi...
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20047 Jan 20, 2014
Christians looking for health coverage can skip Obamacare if they have religious objections to buying insurance that covers abortions. But they have to sign up for an alternative, like a health care sharing ministry.

The Affordable Care Act exempts anyone who participates in one of those types of groups.

Health care sharing is not medical insurance. But it does involve like-minded people helping to pay each other's medical costs.

At least three established ministries fit the law's requirements: Medi-Share, Samaritan Ministries and Christian Healthcare Ministries.

Health sharing ministries typically require Christians to sign a statement of faith in Jesus Christ and pledge to live by biblical standards.

For example they must agree not to abuse alcohol or other drugs, and not to have sex outside of a Christian marriage.
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20048 Jan 21, 2014
CNN Blames Christians for Obamacare Problems

CNN has blamed Christians for the problem of Americans without health insurance, calling it "The Obamacare 'scandal' you haven't heard about." In an article on CNN.com 's Belief Blog, CNN writer John Blake says that, while famous pastors "preach in states where crosses and church steeples dot the skyline," they do nothing about "the poor who can’t get the health insurance they would receive if they lived elsewhere."

That refers, in turn, to the decision of twenty-five states not to participate in Obamacare's expanded Medicaid funding. The states were allowed to opt out following last year's controversial Supreme Court decision on Obamacare, which upheld the law as a whole but struck down the mandatory state participation in Medicaid expansion, citing the protection provided to state powers under the Tenth Amendment.

Some Republican states took the funding anyway, which provides health insurance subsidies for households with incomes up to 138% of the poverty level. Though the federal government will initially cover almost all of the cost, many Republican governors are wary of potential future costs, and are also worried about the effect on the federal budget itself. Many are also opposed to participating in the Obamacare program on principle.

CNN seems to think that the choice to opt out of Obamacare is somehow the responsibility of well-known pastors such as Joel Osteen and T.D. Jakes, who declined to comment for Blake's article. One minister, Rev. Phil Wages, said he would not preach that states should accept Medicaid funding because he does not believe that care for the poor is the primary responsibility of the government, according to Christian teachings.

Beyond that, most churches are non-profit organizations whose tax-exempt status might be threatened if they became involved in political causes. Blake recognizes that, but strongly suggests that churches have a duty regardless.(Curiously, he does not suggest that churches should preach against Obamacare because of the millions of families that are losing their health insurance plans, contrary to the president's promises.)

Blake covers different perspectives on the question of speaking out. But the premise of CNN's article is that churches are to blame for Obamacare's failures--not the federal government, not the Democrats who passed it, and not President Barack Obama himself. The thinly-veiled implication--a repeated theme in leftist critiques--is that Christians are hypocrites who care about personal salvation, but not about good works.
seagate

Stover, MO

#20049 Jan 21, 2014
Whatever the reasons for the numbers signing up for the ACA...or Not...the real effects of this legislation will be seen this Fall when the Insurance premiums for 2015 are announced. If large numbers of healthy young people don't sign up, the insurance companies are going to raise rates substantially....or get a huge government bailout. Either way, the taxpayers will be on the hook for even more money going down the drain to support our bloated "For Profit" system.

Since we pay twice as much as most other nations for health care, and rank way down the list in terms of overall quality and results, it shouldn't take a genius to see that our present system isn't working.

Instead of pushing scams like the ACA on the American public, our leaders should be looking at what works in other nations, and modifying our system accordingly.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#20050 Jan 21, 2014
mr clean wrote:
Any time the goverment gets involved with any thing,they screw it up. The goverment can't fix insurance. Or any thing that helps the people. I buy my own insurance. I want the Wright to choose what's best for me!
You mean, the "right" to choose.

As I do recall, Medicare also had a rocky start. Now look at it. People really like it. Try to take it away and see what happens.

Obamacare will, as is Medicare, be successful, even though the republicans continue their attempts at misinforming people and using scare tactics. The GOP used the same antics with Medicare. How did that turn out for republicans. They failed to stop Medicare and they will fail to stop Romney's healthcare plan now called Obamacare (national healthcare). The Tea Party is just pissed off because they failed to create a healthcare program themselves and Obama beat them to the punch.

Just like Ted Cruze said, "They (Tea Party) are afraid that people will get addicted to the sugar and like Obamacare. Tthe Tea Party won't be able to kill the law later on, if they ever get back into the White House." Tough cookies, Cruzerties. Obamacare is here to stay, just lile Medicare. You may as well get over it, because Obamacare is the law and here to stay!

Location hidden

#20051 Jan 21, 2014
Everyday Joe wrote:
Christians looking for health coverage can skip Obamacare if they have religious objections to buying insurance that covers abortions. But they have to sign up for an alternative, like a health care sharing ministry.
The Affordable Care Act exempts anyone who participates in one of those types of groups.
Health care sharing is not medical insurance. But it does involve like-minded people helping to pay each other's medical costs.
At least three established ministries fit the law's requirements: Medi-Share, Samaritan Ministries and Christian Healthcare Ministries.
Health sharing ministries typically require Christians to sign a statement of faith in Jesus Christ and pledge to live by biblical standards.
For example they must agree not to abuse alcohol or other drugs, and not to have sex outside of a Christian marriage.
Sounds like right wing radical fundamentalist christian American Taliban. If you sign a paper stating that you will live your lives the way we want you to, then we will help you.

Just more Teabagging bullying.

Location hidden

#20052 Jan 21, 2014
Brian B wrote:
We are becoming a country of helpless baby birds, beaks pointed upward.. Begging for a handout or a bailout of some sort.
Our founding fathers would be ashamed to see what has become of the United States.
Thanks Democrats and RINO Republicans... You are successfully destroying the greatest country this world has ever seen.
?- did you know Obama is a magical n3gro?... He'll fix all our socirlety's whoes.
And why is that, Brian. Could it be that 85 of the wealthiest people around the world own more assets than 3.5 billion of the people put together. The Tea Party refuses to expand unemployment benefits for millions of unemployed folks, thus forcing them into the foodstamp and welfare lines with those already in poverty. And they cut foodstamps for hungry people. Democrats did not do that. The Tea Party did.

How the hell can people with no incomes, who have worked and paid taxes most of their lives, be expected to go back to work when Boehner refuses to put a jobs bill on the floor for an up or down vote. It is difficult not to believe the Tea Party is trying to destroy the country so they can rebuild it the way they want it to be. They pretend to be Constitutionalist, yet, they totally disregard the "Separation of Church and State" Clause.

Don't blame what these "crazies" are doing on Democrats. To do so is erroneous.
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20053 Jan 22, 2014
Christians need to engage in peaceful civil disobedience against President Obama’s signature health care law. The reason is simple and macabre: Obamacare enables U.S. taxpayer funds to pay for abortions for members of Congress and their staff. That’s right. Pro-life Christians will be forced to subsidize the slaughter of unborn children.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20055 Jan 22, 2014
Target to Drop Health Insurance for Part-Time Workers

Target Corp.(TGT) will end health insurance for part-time employees in April, joining Trader Joe’s Co., Home Depot Inc. and other U.S. retailers that have scaled back benefits in response to changes from Obamacare.

About 10 percent of part-time employees, defined as those working fewer than 30 hours a week, use Target’s health plans now, according to a posting yesterday on the Minneapolis-based company’s website. Target is the second-largest U.S. discount retailer by sales and had about 361,000 total employees last fiscal year, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The U.S. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is the largest regulatory overhaul of health care since the 1960s, creating a system of penalties and rewards to encourage people to obtain medical insurance. The law known as Obamacare doesn’t require most companies to cover part-time workers, and offering them health plans may disqualify those people from subsidies in new government-run insurance exchanges that opened in October.

“You see a lot of retailers making adjustments in contemplation of the full effect of the employer mandate penalties in 2015,” Neil Trautwein, a lobbyist with the National Retail Federation, a trade group in Washington, said in a phone interview.“Even though it is not effective yet, it is already having an effect on the job market and putting companies where they would probably not otherwise want to be.”

The move should also reduce the cost of Target’s health benefits, Trautwein said.

Target fell less than 1 percent to $59.98 in New York. The shares have declined 4.1 percent in the last 12 months.
confused

Half Way, MO

#20056 Jan 22, 2014
GOPer Slayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like right wing radical fundamentalist christian American Taliban. If you sign a paper stating that you will live your lives the way we want you to, then we will help you.
Just more Teabagging bullying.
I thought the big problem with the healthcare issue is that people don't want anyone telling them what to do and now they are going to sign up to not drink or smoke and live completely by Christian rules. Sounds like real freedom to do whatever you think is best for you. I think these folks just want to bitch.
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20057 Jan 22, 2014
I’m a Protestant, and I stand with the Little Sisters of the Poor. You can too.

by Ian Huyett

In a hard-hitting new column, Judge Andrew Napolitano, a traditionalist Roman Catholic, discusses those provisions of ObamaCare that will require American Catholics to finance contraception, sterilization and abortion in violation of Catholic teaching.

I am not a Catholic. As a Christian, however, I agree that there is a mounting government offensive against religious liberty in the United States. I’ve found this complaint increasingly common among Christians around the country. I believe that American Christians of all denominations must, and can, respond by becoming a powerful force for small government.

Let me explain why.
http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/christians-...
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20058 Jan 24, 2014
http://www.christianitytoday.com/women/2013/j...

Hobby Lobby: The First Martyr Under Obamacare?
concerned

Springfield, MO

#20059 Jan 24, 2014
Shut obamacare down
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20060 Jan 25, 2014
OBAMACARE DISCRIMINATES AGAINST CHRISTIANS AND JEWS BY DENYING THEM SPECIAL EXEMPTIONS EXTENDED TO OTHER RELIGIONS.

If you are a mainstream Christian or a Jew, you need not apply to Opt Out of ObamaCare; that exemption is reserved for Muslims, Scientologists, Amish, Christian Scientists and Native American Indians who have a “conscientious objection” to surance. A conscientious objection to theft committed by rogue politicians under the color of law with the threat of violence for non-compliance isn’t suf-ficient in America today to exempt average Americans from the stranglehold of government.

Believe it or not, if you are a Muslim you may claim a special religious exemption to Obama-Care that is denied to main-stream Christians and Jews. Or if you prefer a New-Age religion to Islam, you may become a Scientologist and Opt Out of ObamaCare’s mandatory pur-chase of health insurance. Or, if you happen to be of Native American Indian extraction you too can opt out of the insurance laws by which everyone else in America must abide.

As explained in this blog: http://socialsecurityinstitute.com/blog/chris...
Constitution Party

Park Hills, MO

#20061 Jan 25, 2014
The Constitution Party position on Obamacare:

http://www.constitutionparty.com/our-principl...
Everyday Joe

Park Hills, MO

#20062 Jan 26, 2014
The unveiling of the dictatorial debacle that is Obamacare absolutely flabbergasts me. It is stunning on so many levels, but the most shocking aspect of it for me is watching millions of free Americans stand idly by while this man, his minions in Congress and his cheerleaders in the press systematically dismantle our Constitution, steal our money, and crush our freedoms.

The President, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid (with no small help from Justice John Roberts) take away our health care, and we allow it. They take away our insurance, and we allow it. They take away our doctors, and we allow it.They charge us thousands of dollars more a year, and we allow it. They make legal products illegal, and we allow it. They cripple our businesses, and we allow it.They announce by fiat that we must ignore our most deeply held beliefs – and we allow it.

Where is your spine, America? http://www.christianpost.com/news/obamacare-s...
anonymous

United States

#20063 Jan 28, 2014
Obamacare sucks
Norton

Chillicothe, MO

#20064 Jan 28, 2014
Everyday Joe wrote:
The unveiling of the dictatorial debacle that is Obamacare absolutely flabbergasts me. It is stunning on so many levels, but the most shocking aspect of it for me is watching millions of free Americans stand idly by while this man, his minions in Congress and his cheerleaders in the press systematically dismantle our Constitution, steal our money, and crush our freedoms.
The President, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid (with no small help from Justice John Roberts) take away our health care, and we allow it. They take away our insurance, and we allow it. They take away our doctors, and we allow it.They charge us thousands of dollars more a year, and we allow it. They make legal products illegal, and we allow it. They cripple our businesses, and we allow it.They announce by fiat that we must ignore our most deeply held beliefs – and we allow it.
Where is your spine, America? http://www.christianpost.com/news/obamacare-s...
I wonder the same thing! Why are we Americans allowing this to happen. It's almost like we have Hitler in the White House. Where are our leaders? The only thing I know to stop this trainwreck is to vote........if it's not too late by the time we get to vote! Then I wonder who do we vote for!!!!! This is a big mess!
CHEERS!
demo

Belleville, IL

#20066 Jan 29, 2014
Obamacare????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Billings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MO Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Missouri ... (Oct '10) 3 min Chilli J 97,262
MO Ferguson Police Chief Just Shocked Everyone Wit... 1 hr Maple Resident 567
MO Ferguson Police Are Being Relieved Of Their Dut... 9 hr OldCrow 3,168
MO Powerful Photos Blast The Media's Portrayal Of ... 10 hr FyI 304
Republic Monitor 18 hr guest 1
Police Chief change in clever (Dec '07) Sep 25 Jjt 18
MO Missouri Proposition B: The Puppy Mill Bill (Oct '10) Sep 23 Jenny 6,937

Billings Jobs

Billings People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Billings News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Billings

Personal Finance