Biglerville wants to snuff out minors' tobacco use

Full story: Evening Sun 42
It is illegal for a minor to buy a pack of cigarettes in the Borough of Biglerville, and everywhere else in the commonwealth, according to state laws. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the real eagle

AOL

#1 Apr 11, 2011
good i was in b-ville tonight and saw 3 minors smoking cigaretts right down from the high school they were toking on them like they been smoking along time
yea

Carlisle, PA

#2 Apr 11, 2011
its still not gonna stop them from smoking
Loser Fool

Hanover, PA

#4 Apr 11, 2011
Unoemsane wrote:
Now that's what all respectable Police departments should be doing. Wasting taxpayers money on minors using tobaco. Hell, forget about meth labs, and pot growing, this tobaco use must be stopped!
Not wasting tax payers money. They are saving a life. Nothing wrong with good pot and good meth. Besides, this is for adults only.
Joe

Carlisle, PA

#5 Apr 12, 2011
Well they might as well go ahead and pass a measure to ensure the kids wear belts to keep their pants up near the waist .
joe

Hanover, PA

#6 Apr 12, 2011
Loser Fool wrote:
<quoted text>Not wasting tax payers money. They are saving a life. Nothing wrong with good pot and good meth. Besides, this is for adults only.
we need more laws protecting us from ourselves.
Anonymous

Towson, MD

#7 Apr 12, 2011
Absolutely ridiculous, & who is going to pay this fine???? The parents because they are minors, let's keep our kids in our sight at all times, away from the real world, you can teach & preach all you want, bottom line is, they are going to do what they want to do regardless. Teens give in to peer pressure and that's a fact. Teen pregnancy is more of a health issue then smoking, are we going to fine everyone under 18 male & female for not using protection? So, instead of looking for real criminals, police are going to be riding around looking for underage smokers? What a waste of time & money for everyone. You can join the Military when your 17, but you can't smoke, or drink, but you have a license to kill and defend OUR freedom. Really does not make sense, everythig is so a** backwards.
tired

Carlisle, PA

#8 Apr 12, 2011
Once again, people trying to dictate how we live. Try this, MIND YOUR BUSINESS!!!!!!!! There are much bigger problems with our youth today then smoking butts!!!! Lets see, teen pregnancy, drugs, alcohol, truancy!! The list goes on. If you do not want YOUR child smoking, start there. Do not worry about what my child does. That is my job, not yours.
Stacy

Red Lion, PA

#9 Apr 12, 2011
hahaha! Awesome! I agree. They go too far! I don't want kids to smoke either but government has no business here. It's not about their health and safety. It's about revenue. Not one fine is going to make a kid think, "Dang, I better not do that anymore"! You people are absurd and power hungry. Let the parents do what they are suppose to be doing and deal with their own children. Biglerville.......butt out!
Joe wrote:
Well they might as well go ahead and pass a measure to ensure the kids wear belts to keep their pants up near the waist .
old codger

Boiling Springs, PA

#10 Apr 12, 2011
Sneak another STUPID LAW in!! Were not only TAXED to death in this F*&KING state but they are taking our freedom away 1 by 1 everyday. If the cop fines a kid for smoking,,they're just gonna do it behind closed doors the next time. If they continue to get caught,whats it gonna be? Jail Time?? A feloney on your record? then you can't get a job or buy a gun!! And they have the guts to call the way we have to live FREEDOM!!!!
Scooter

Newville, PA

#11 Apr 12, 2011
Well, why just stop with KIDs...lets make it for adults too..! Just make it that you can't smoke in the Borough of Biglerville. Except on your own property..that would make it fair to everyone...that way kids could smoke with mom and dad..they all could look stupid together. I'm really getting tired reading in the obituary about donating to the American Cancer Society...I'm not against the donating just end results from smoking....!
chaz

Carlisle, PA

#13 Apr 12, 2011
Like the police in Biglerville don't have enough to wory about. I think they should check for green cards. See how many Mexicans are paying taxes. That we support,(schooling, medical bills, housing). We should start to worry about where the tax payers money goes. Instead of worrying about a minor smoking or dipping. Thats the parents job. If the boro wants to be everyones parent let them pay the fines.
deketl

Orrstown, PA

#14 Apr 12, 2011
The only thing Gary and Craig have to do is chase kids who are smoking? If the police department has degenerated into this, then it begs to question why have police.
Stacy

Red Lion, PA

#15 Apr 12, 2011
And I'm sure SCOOTER that you have never done a single questionable thing in your life! Not every person afflicted with cancer is so because of smoking. Stop posting! You are just making yourself look like an @$#.
Scooter wrote:
Well, why just stop with KIDs...lets make it for adults too..! Just make it that you can't smoke in the Borough of Biglerville. Except on your own property..that would make it fair to everyone...that way kids could smoke with mom and dad..they all could look stupid together. I'm really getting tired reading in the obituary about donating to the American Cancer Society...I'm not against the donating just end results from smoking....!
Wow

Perkiomenville, PA

#16 Apr 12, 2011
We have given our little local municipalities/townships WAY TOO MUCH power! It's ridiculous...
My Humble Opinion

Hanover, PA

#17 Apr 12, 2011
Wow wrote:
We have given our little local municipalities/townships WAY TOO MUCH power! It's ridiculous...
I could not agree with you more!!!! Who do they think they are? People of Biglerville I know you don't want to see teenagers smoking because of the long-term health problems but this ordinance goes far beyond that. Think outside the box. They are enforcing their morals and values onto you while taking away your rights to parent. YOU should be able to tell YOUR child that if YOU find cigarettes, etc. YOU will determine the punishment. You don't need the police dept. to cite them and fine them $100. It's not just children who come from smoking parents who sneak a cigarette to look cool so don't blame teenage smoking on bad parenting. They're being kids trying to test the waters. And law enforcement wonders why the youth is losing their trust and respect for them. Well blame it on these power crazy council people who are making your town a Nazi community and the police the Gestapo! Hope the people of Biglerville pack the next council meeting and tell them to mind their own business on this one.
JUST SAYING

Philadelphia, PA

#18 Apr 12, 2011
rediculas waste of taxpayers money.....kids are gonna smoke they have been doing it since the dawn of day......u arent gonna stop them they know its illegal.... and where do you expect these minors to get $100.00 if they get caught ..just another burden you are putting on parents. I have enough financial burdens. If you think you can stop a kid from smoking that wants to smoke. you are living in a dream world. Just another opportunity for cops wasting their time...just like in hanover ..giving kids a 230 dollar fine for sitting outside of walmart on a saturday night another rediculas waste of taxpayer money.
JUST SAYING

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Apr 12, 2011
Wow wrote:
i totally agree...why not do your job of being policemen instead of hall monitors....
thats like the time my son was riding his bike home...got to close to the shed selling place on baltimore street in hanover.....four cop cars for two kids on bikes...really?
and had them sitting on the curb interogating them like they were drug dealers or something....rediculas...the powers that be are getting way out of control. cant ride you bike or scooter in the park...then why do we have parks....but do you think they bust the drug dealers in wirt part or the park in littlestown.....no they are to busy chasing bicycles and kids talking in a parking lot at walmart......
Let Me Help

Hanover, PA

#20 Apr 12, 2011
deketl wrote:
The only thing Gary and Craig have to do is chase kids who are smoking? If the police department has degenerated into this, then it begs to question why have police.
In Abbottstown the police go after skate boarders.
Scooter

Newville, PA

#21 Apr 12, 2011
Stacy...you have a good point..HOWEVER...I did not say that,... "every person afflicted with cancer is so because of smoking"...But...I will say that I have seen and known many friends that have a related illness do to smoking!...I have lost a parent do to related illness of smoking. And I have parent that has related illness from smoking and he quick smoking over 30 yeas ago....so I'm still sticking to my guns on my posting early.....you can take what you want for it and this one too....and you can also read the small print on the pack of smokes....then maybe you see where I'm coming from....!
Bryan J Felix

Frederick, MD

#22 Apr 12, 2011
If they have money to pay for the cigarettes, they have money to pay the fine!

I agree, it is ridiculous (spelled correctly).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biglerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gettysburg Child Rape/Violent/Serious Crime List (Sep '13) Tue Costard 408
Gettysburg school board pays Hall (Mar '11) Feb 26 Costard 37
Organized Criminal Gang Targeting Gettysburg Ar... (May '12) Feb 24 Ghettosburg 566
Former Bermudian Springs teacher sentenced for ... Feb 24 Ghettosburg 3
New Oxford man in prison following domestic ass... Feb 22 Just a thought 3
Police: Gettysburg masseuse faces prostitution ... Feb 22 Just a thought 6
Fire damages Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum in Adams ... (Jul '10) Feb 22 Davenport 16

Winter Storm Warning for Adams County was issued at March 05 at 3:21PM EST

Biglerville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Biglerville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:00 am PST

NBC Sports 5:00AM
Former Eagle Trent Cole to visit Buccaneers first