A truck full of stories

A truck full of stories

There are 113 comments on the Evening Sun story from May 2, 2011, titled A truck full of stories. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

Eighteen-month-old Aaliyah Wood, of York, left, waits with her balloon while driver John Wyatt, of York, gets ready for Sunday s Make-a-Wish Truck Convoy for Wishes in Gettysburg with this stepson, Michael Schilberz, 10.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
sad

Everett, PA

#1 May 2, 2011
This is such a wonderful event. My heart goes out to those involved in the accident. If you haven't been able to attend this wonderful event in the past, there's always next year. Our family has been going since we discovered it 6 years ago and it's an event that will remain on the calendar for years to come. Your money can't be any better spent than helping these precious children to "make a wish" while you have a great time as well! Once again, thank you to all the volunteers that helped our family have a terrific time.
Lois

Carlisle, PA

#2 May 2, 2011
was there any make a wish kids in accident
I HOPE NOT they all sweet kids god bliss.
Duh

Newville, PA

#3 May 2, 2011
Lois wrote:
was there any make a wish kids in accident
I HOPE NOT they all sweet kids god bliss.
Uh--yeah! I'd bet that one of them was actually steering one of these rigs. They've done it before and the photos appeared in this news paper. We'll see what the State Police find out. Lawsuits will increase the costs of Potato Chips and golf carts for sure. No children belong in any type of huge vehicle. This is why Fire Departments --except those who are insured--have ceased giving rides on fire trucks.
David B

Chambersburg, PA

#4 May 2, 2011
How Long are we going to continue this FOLLY, which has become more a ADVERTISING SCHEME for the trucking firms, than a "Thing for the kids". Look at some of those injured in the accident. NO "WISH KIDS" in a many of the vehicles.

In fact MANY of the vehicles in these convoys have NO KIDS in them. It has just become an advertising STUNT for many of the companies whose names are splattered all over the trucks. Most of these vehicles DO NOT have the safety restraints required for these kids either, and ARE NOT designed to transport them.

My son participated in a couple of the first convoys until he realized the folly of them. Often there are kids in less than half of the trucks, and frequently it is the small vehicles that the kids are assigned to rather than the Big Rigs they want to ride in.

YES, time to re-consider this "Dog & Pony Show"! The thousands of $$ worth of fuel that was wasted on this "Show" not only contributed to air pollution, along the route, but also to breathing problems on the parking lots before and after the run, especially for those with breathing problems. Most of these big rigs only get 5 to 8 miles per gallon of fuel.

Soooo.... shut it down? I am not saying that, but LIMIT it to trucks that actually have "Wishes Kids" in them.

If these firms that have trucks in the "Parade" are TRULY dedicated to the kids, than gather them at the same points, Gettysburg, Lancaster, etc, Load "The Kids and parents" on Motor Coaches (which will be almost an equal thrill for most) and take them to a special day at Hershey (or some other) place for a day JUST for them....preseason before the park opens full time to the general public.

That will show which firms are actually interested in the kids, and which are only doing it "for the Glory (advertising) of it"! Many of these kids cannot be taken to Hershey Park on a regular day because of their physical condition, and would really love the day there WITH a great Picnic Lunch.

I am Sure that Hershey Park would be very happy to offer a very special package for such a cause too.
Go ahead! Blast the idea, but also, sit back and think about it!
Purple Ravens in Valdosta

Streator, IL

#5 May 2, 2011
The truckers that wrecked must have thought they were out on the interstates driving like a maniac just to get that product there on time for their deadline. Good God, they could have just calmed down for the kids for one darn day.
Wish Childs Mom

Hanover, PA

#6 May 2, 2011
Thank You to all who organized this event! The smile on my son's face as the firetruck pulled away was priceless! To forget about his condition for a day is a gift that I cherish!! "I had so much fun today Mommy!" were the words that came out of his mouth. I praise God he is here to say those words to me and I praise God for the organizers and the drivers for doing all that they do for the kids! Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting a twinkle in his eye and a HUGE smile on his face! God bless you all!!
sad

Everett, PA

#7 May 2, 2011
To Wish Childs Mom - thank you for sharing your comments. (and ignoring the ignorance of the other posters). I do not have a wish child but I certainly enjoy watching all the smiles on the childrens faces and knowing my donations are well spent. This event just brings to light how we take our health for granted. I've always taught my family at the sound of a siren to stop and say a little prayer for those in need. I will be sure to remember your son in that prayer as well. God bless your family.
Okay

Hanover, PA

#8 May 2, 2011
Purple Ravens in Valdosta wrote:
The truckers that wrecked must have thought they were out on the interstates driving like a maniac just to get that product there on time for their deadline. Good God, they could have just calmed down for the kids for one darn day.
That's what happened.
I Wish Not to be Injured

York, PA

#9 May 2, 2011
David B wrote:
How Long are we going to continue this FOLLY, which has become more a ADVERTISING SCHEME for the trucking firms, than a "Thing for the kids". Look at some of those injured in the accident. NO "WISH KIDS" in a many of the vehicles.
In fact MANY of the vehicles in these convoys have NO KIDS in them. It has just become an advertising STUNT for many of the companies whose names are splattered all over the trucks. Most of these vehicles DO NOT have the safety restraints required for these kids either, and ARE NOT designed to transport them.
My son participated in a couple of the first convoys until he realized the folly of them. Often there are kids in less than half of the trucks, and frequently it is the small vehicles that the kids are assigned to rather than the Big Rigs they want to ride in.
YES, time to re-consider this "Dog & Pony Show"! The thousands of $$ worth of fuel that was wasted on this "Show" not only contributed to air pollution, along the route, but also to breathing problems on the parking lots before and after the run, especially for those with breathing problems. Most of these big rigs only get 5 to 8 miles per gallon of fuel.
Soooo.... shut it down? I am not saying that, but LIMIT it to trucks that actually have "Wishes Kids" in them.
If these firms that have trucks in the "Parade" are TRULY dedicated to the kids, than gather them at the same points, Gettysburg, Lancaster, etc, Load "The Kids and parents" on Motor Coaches (which will be almost an equal thrill for most) and take them to a special day at Hershey (or some other) place for a day JUST for them....preseason before the park opens full time to the general public.
That will show which firms are actually interested in the kids, and which are only doing it "for the Glory (advertising) of it"! Many of these kids cannot be taken to Hershey Park on a regular day because of their physical condition, and would really love the day there WITH a great Picnic Lunch.
I am Sure that Hershey Park would be very happy to offer a very special package for such a cause too.
Go ahead! Blast the idea, but also, sit back and think about it!
Thanks for the plug, obvious Hersheypark employee. If you want to hold an event at Hersheypark why not contact the Make-A-Wish Foundation instead of posting statements on this message board where they may never be read by the right people?

This particular region of the Make-A-Wish Foundation is managed by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Greater PA and Southern WV chapter based in Pittsburgh ( http://wishgreaterpa.org/ ) but I have Ann's contact information for the York/Adams/Franklin County region if you need it.

I'm sure they would be more than happy to work with you on creating an event like this. That is granted there is no Make-A-Wish chapter in the Hershey area. If there is that chapter would be responsible for all programming in that region and you would have to contact them about holding an event. That's the unfortunate part of the whole scenario - that chapters are generally limited to creating events in their region only to prevent any conflict and confusion as to what chapter the funds from the fundraising would go to.

I think it's a great idea though and I can't say that I haven't thought of it myself.
I Wish Not to be Injured

York, PA

#10 May 2, 2011
It would be great to be able to have all of the Make-A-Wish chapters come together for a day at the park!
Just Saying

Hershey, PA

#11 May 2, 2011
He obviously wasn't a Hersheypark employee because he spelled it Hershey Park, which is wrong.
Peyjad

Chicago, IL

#12 May 2, 2011
We too are the proud parents of a wish child. This was our first convoy and we had a blast! It left me speechless that these kind people take the time to make my child feel on top of the world, without expecting anything in return. I also was moved to tears during the convoy seeing all the faces standing in the rain "cheering on" our kids! It was a well organized,safe event that had a very unfortunate accident. I pray for all the families and hope everyone can put this unfortunate incident behind us. Thank you Make-a-wish, Kinard Trucking and all the friendly faces who welcomed us! It was a day my family will never forget!

As for the safety issues
Okay wrote:
<quoted text>That's what happened.
You OBVIOUSLY weren't there, if speeds reached 40mph we were lucky. Took us 1 1/2 hours to go 40 miles.
Maybe instead of just complaining about it, go out and volunteer next year. See for yourself e kindness of strangers
Bobby

York, PA

#13 May 2, 2011
David B wrote:
How Long are we going to continue this FOLLY, which has become more a ADVERTISING SCHEME for the trucking firms, than a "Thing for the kids". Look at some of those injured in the accident. NO "WISH KIDS" in a many of the vehicles.
In fact MANY of the vehicles in these convoys have NO KIDS in them. It has just become an advertising STUNT for many of the companies whose names are splattered all over the trucks. Most of these vehicles DO NOT have the safety restraints required for these kids either, and ARE NOT designed to transport them.
My son participated in a couple of the first convoys until he realized the folly of them. Often there are kids in less than half of the trucks, and frequently it is the small vehicles that the kids are assigned to rather than the Big Rigs they want to ride in.
YES, time to re-consider this "Dog & Pony Show"! The thousands of $$ worth of fuel that was wasted on this "Show" not only contributed to air pollution, along the route, but also to breathing problems on the parking lots before and after the run, especially for those with breathing problems. Most of these big rigs only get 5 to 8 miles per gallon of fuel.
Soooo.... shut it down? I am not saying that, but LIMIT it to trucks that actually have "Wishes Kids" in them.
If these firms that have trucks in the "Parade" are TRULY dedicated to the kids, than gather them at the same points, Gettysburg, Lancaster, etc, Load "The Kids and parents" on Motor Coaches (which will be almost an equal thrill for most) and take them to a special day at Hershey (or some other) place for a day JUST for them....preseason before the park opens full time to the general public.
That will show which firms are actually interested in the kids, and which are only doing it "for the Glory (advertising) of it"! Many of these kids cannot be taken to Hershey Park on a regular day because of their physical condition, and would really love the day there WITH a great Picnic Lunch.
I am Sure that Hershey Park would be very happy to offer a very special package for such a cause too.
Go ahead! Blast the idea, but also, sit back and think about it!
These are children with LIFE THREATENING conditions.
Some of these children may not make it to next year and for you to be concerned about the pollution generated from the trucks is ridiculous. None of the trucks sat and idled very long. 15 minutes tops. None of the trucks were travelling at a high rate of speed. My guess is that since you convinced your son this was just a "folly" you probably did not even attend. I presume your opinion is based on heresay which makes it worthless. All of those trucks donated money to be there. Money that could help with research which may prolong a child's life or provide him with another day of happiness in an otherwise life filled with pain and Dr appointments. Maybe a child's happiness is worth a little air pollution. Hershey Park may be a good idea but what about the resources necessary to operate the equipment at the park. Hey it's for the children. Wouldn't it be ridiculous to worry about that? I understand you are entitled to your opinion. All I ask is that you base it on fact and not what you heard. If you were there and your comments are based on what you saw, Why go to a "Dog & Pony Show"? Perhaps because it really is for a good cause. No one complains when an athlete starts a charity. We praise them. The companies that attended took time on the weekend to make a difference in a child's life. For that I thank them. I'm sure when your son was younger, before he saw it for the "folly" you claim it to be he enjoyed it. Perhaps you should think back to that smile he had on his face when he climbed up into that rig and felt on top of the world. Just remember the children man.

Since: Aug 08

Hanover, PA

#14 May 2, 2011
Very well said, Bobby!
Unless you were there, don't hate just to hate,this was a great day in United States for more then 1 reason.
Bobby wrote:
<quoted text>These are children with LIFE THREATENING conditions.
Some of these children may not make it to next year and for you to be concerned about the pollution generated from the trucks is ridiculous. None of the trucks sat and idled very long. 15 minutes tops. None of the trucks were travelling at a high rate of speed. My guess is that since you convinced your son this was just a "folly" you probably did not even attend. I presume your opinion is based on heresay which makes it worthless. All of those trucks donated money to be there. Money that could help with research which may prolong a child's life or provide him with another day of happiness in an otherwise life filled with pain and Dr appointments. Maybe a child's happiness is worth a little air pollution. Hershey Park may be a good idea but what about the resources necessary to operate the equipment at the park. Hey it's for the children. Wouldn't it be ridiculous to worry about that? I understand you are entitled to your opinion. All I ask is that you base it on fact and not what you heard. If you were there and your comments are based on what you saw, Why go to a "Dog & Pony Show"? Perhaps because it really is for a good cause. No one complains when an athlete starts a charity. We praise them. The companies that attended took time on the weekend to make a difference in a child's life. For that I thank them. I'm sure when your son was younger, before he saw it for the "folly" you claim it to be he enjoyed it. Perhaps you should think back to that smile he had on his face when he climbed up into that rig and felt on top of the world. Just remember the children man.
Wish Childs Mom

Hanover, PA

#16 May 2, 2011
sad wrote:
To Wish Childs Mom - thank you for sharing your comments.(and ignoring the ignorance of the other posters). I do not have a wish child but I certainly enjoy watching all the smiles on the childrens faces and knowing my donations are well spent. This event just brings to light how we take our health for granted. I've always taught my family at the sound of a siren to stop and say a little prayer for those in need. I will be sure to remember your son in that prayer as well. God bless your family.
Thank you for donating to this great organization! It's people like you (ya know, one's with a heart and kind words to others) who make this world a great place. Thanks also for the prayers! May God bless your family also!
Ashley Kress

Newville, PA

#17 May 2, 2011
This was a freak accident, yes it happened and yes people were hurt but things like this happened. We do not know what happened inside of the snyders truck. Maybe something went wrong, maybe he was destracted we dont know. Therefore until we do PLEASE PLEASE dont judge. We didnt condem the 6 flags park that has the spiderman ride which severed a girls legs, so please do not condem this event. The truck convoy bring great joy to the Make a Wish children, along with the truckers. This year was my first time truely attending the event, usually I watch it along the road. This year I spent Saturday with my boyfriend and his family. Watching as his brother washed and cleaned his truck. Shinning it up for the event in which he would participate. He stated "you cant have a child riding in a dirty truck" and you could see the pride in his eyes as he finished. The drivers in the convoy dont drive for advertisment they drive because the WANT to help these children. These drivers take great pride in this event! Please do not judge them as a whole... dont judge them until you attend and see there faces as the children climb into there trucks, blow the horns and have there dreams come true!! God Bless All the Make a Wish Children, and COnvoy Drivers... as Well as there families.
Former T

Hanover, PA

#18 May 2, 2011
Just Saying wrote:
He obviously wasn't a Hersheypark employee because he spelled it Hershey Park, which is wrong.
Are you saying they only hire good spellers?
Right

Hanover, PA

#19 May 2, 2011
Ashley Kress wrote:
This was a freak accident, yes it happened and yes people were hurt but things like this happened. We do not know what happened inside of the snyders truck. Maybe something went wrong, maybe he was destracted we dont know. Therefore until we do PLEASE PLEASE dont judge. We didnt condem the 6 flags park that has the spiderman ride which severed a girls legs, so please do not condem this event. The truck convoy bring great joy to the Make a Wish children, along with the truckers. This year was my first time truely attending the event, usually I watch it along the road. This year I spent Saturday with my boyfriend and his family. Watching as his brother washed and cleaned his truck. Shinning it up for the event in which he would participate. He stated "you cant have a child riding in a dirty truck" and you could see the pride in his eyes as he finished. The drivers in the convoy dont drive for advertisment they drive because the WANT to help these children. These drivers take great pride in this event! Please do not judge them as a whole... dont judge them until you attend and see there faces as the children climb into there trucks, blow the horns and have there dreams come true!! God Bless All the Make a Wish Children, and COnvoy Drivers... as Well as there families.
When Officer Thome got hit by a car, that was an accident too.
Just Me

Gettysburg, PA

#20 May 2, 2011
I really wish that you would read the story you are posting your comments to...not everyone...just the negative people. This story was about the "stories" found throughout the event...go on over to the article about the accident if that is what your comments are going to be about. Mr. Stonesifer found some great people and great moments and wrote a great article to share them with us. Maybe your comments should be to thank God that little Amy Miller was healthy enough to ride with Jason Peifer again this year. Or perhaps you should acknowledge young Jeremiah Mann who thought he wanted to help children less fortunate than himself get to have a wish...or how about thanking Sherri Keller for the endless hours I am sure she spends each year on this event. Or how about Brittany...or Peyton...or maybe, just maybe, you ought to bow your heads and say a little prayer for the Hock family who shows up every year to continue making wishes for other kids even years after their own son and brother lost his battle. Maybe, just maybe for once in your lives you can be thankful for the health you have and for the kindness of others...and leave your dreadful opinions out of it. How about for one day, we let the kids be kids, let the truckers help the kids be kids, and perhaps we can all find Mr. Mann and see if he's begun collecting donations for next year, because as I hear it he has the right idea...He told Ms. Ann Waltman that "I want to give it for the kids"...and maybe we can all learn something from the mind of an 8 year old....When life sends you snow, you find a way to give a sick child 'one more wish'...even if it causes a little bit of pollution.
local

Gettysburg, PA

#21 May 2, 2011
What a bunch of self centered,nonsupportive butt heads. Your just angry that you dont have anything to offer these kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biglerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roy Keefer Feb 19 U B Lying 4
News History or haunting: FOX43 looks into strange h... Feb 17 Dooshy 3
News Two rob apartment in Gettysburg, 'pistol whip'a Feb 17 Friend 6
News Two suspects break into food court shops Feb 3 Pink Eye 6
News Two Adams Co. men charged in string of 17 cara Jan 30 Davenport 3
Gettysburg Child Rape/Violent/Serious Crime List (Sep '13) Jan '18 Gettysburg Gang C... 565
News Man shot at Gettysburg rally aims to replacea Jan '18 Allah licks pig s... 6

Biglerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Biglerville Mortgages