First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Freeway Ricky Ross

Cheltenham, PA

#1 Oct 26, 2012
Read the full article here: http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/19/how-to-...

It was a bad week for Internet trolls.

News of the tragic suicide of 16-year-old Canadian Amanda Todd after an ugly incident of stalking, bullying and blackmail hit just as Reddit’s biggest troll, responsible for numerous highly offensive postings in sections with names like “rape bait,” was finally outed. As word of Todd’s death spread, Reddit’s “Violentacrez” was revealed by gossip site Gawker to be Michael Brutsch, a 49-year-old Texas programmer.

So why do trolls do what they do? The trolls themselves haven’t been studied extensively, but Brutsch seems to exemplify many of the traits that have been included in prior profiles. For one, trolls benefit from the lack of face-to-face interaction on the Web, which allows them to say outrageous things that would get them ostracized or even beaten if said in the real world. For people who are relatively isolated and feel powerless in their ordinary lives — as Brutsch appears to be — the Net provides a world where they can wield power and influence others.

Unlike most real-world bullies, trolls online can find a large ready-made audience that consistently encourages them, without any negative consequences. In fact, Reddit rewards users whose posts generate the most response by promoting them to the “front page.” And public affirmation was certainly a driver for Brutsch. Reddit also offers real-world bonus items for its top participants, which egged Brutsch on.“Honestly, the biggest thrill I got was those meaningless Internet points,” he said, showing off trinkets he’d received from the company for winning those points, like a bobble-head doll in the shape of its alien logo.

Such “reward dependence” is a characteristic seen in many studies of antisocial behavior. And, indeed, trolling may unmask outright psychopathic traits like sadism that otherwise would often remain hidden. Oxford University’s Kevin Dutton, an expert on psychopaths, says,“People who have a nasty streak may have psychopathic traits like ruthlessness and lack of empathy.”

Both are clearly visible in Brutsch, who told CNN,“There are hot-button topics that you can make a comment about and just enrage people. Sadly for me, I enjoyed doing that. I liked going in and making people really mad over what amounted to meaningless things.” One study of real-world bullies, which likely applies to trolls as well, found that the pleasure regions in their brains were activated when they saw other people being deliberately harmed — and the degree of activation was linked to their levels of sadism.

The anonymity of trolling for trouble on the Internet, however, may bring out a particular type of pathological behavior. In full-fledged psychopathy, there is a physical fearlessness that’s lacking in trolls.“They don’t act up in everyday life because they are frightened of sanctions,” says Dutton.“They’re nasty cowards, but when you get them on the Web, that fearlessness doesn’t matter anymore because there are no consequences. That’s the kind of person being unlocked here.”

Like other bullies, trolls also need to get a rise out of their victims if they are to enjoy the interaction. That’s why “don’t feed the trolls” is a constant admonition on many comment boards: their biggest fear is being disregarded and made irrelevant. The best way to stop trolls, then, is to create an unfriendly environment. If removing this content from such sites only drives it underground, good: that’s where such trash belongs, making clear that it is not socially acceptable.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pink Eye

Emmaus, PA

#4 Oct 27, 2012
Close all the restaurants in Gettysburg?
Freeway Ricky Ross

Cheltenham, PA

#5 Oct 27, 2012
Fitus T Bluster wrote:
repete
Thanks for the bump. Keeping this title right up top is perfect. Have you noticed threads are disappearing, posts are disappearing, trolls are disappearing? Pop goes the weasel:)

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Miniveer

Norwood, PA

#6 Oct 27, 2012
Freeway Ricky Ross wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the bump. Keeping this title right up top is perfect. Have you noticed threads are disappearing, posts are disappearing, trolls are disappearing? Pop goes the weasel:)
You seem to be as big of a troll as the rest of them.

Go get'em, killer... lol

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Davenport

New York, NY

#7 Oct 27, 2012
I don't care what the title of the thread reads, I am interested in continuing the Gettysburg Gang Discussions.

It's a sick sick town with many locals who deny the serious violet crime problem that is plaguing the borough and surrounding municipalities.

There aren't enough police to combat the gangs, and many feel that the epidemic is just going to get worse and worse.
Pink Eye

Emmaus, PA

#9 Oct 28, 2012
Davenport wrote:
I don't care what the title of the thread reads, I am interested in continuing the Gettysburg Gang Discussions.
It's a sick sick town with many locals who deny the serious violet crime problem that is plaguing the borough and surrounding municipalities.
There aren't enough police to combat the gangs, and many feel that the epidemic is just going to get worse and worse.
maybe the hurricane will clean things out
Davenport

New York, NY

#10 Oct 28, 2012
Pink Eye wrote:
<quoted text>maybe the hurricane will clean things out
Given the horrible crimes that occurred last night in Gettysburg, I'd now say that it would take a flood of biblical proportions to cleanse this sick, filthy foetid town.

I am now very concerned about the looting that will surely take place in Gettysburg during the storm.
Gettysburg Eddie

Carlisle, PA

#11 Oct 28, 2012
What trolls? This forum has always been very civil and remains so to this day.
Davenport

New York, NY

#12 Oct 28, 2012
Gettysburg Eddie wrote:
Thank you. What is your take on the gangs and violent crime that have engulfed Gettysburg as of late?

I'm worried that the looters will have a field day during the height of the hurricane. There aren't enough police and security to defend Gettysburg if the gangs decide to make a concerted effort to loot stores, banks and residential homes.
Pink Eye

New Tripoli, PA

#13 Oct 29, 2012
Gettysburg Eddie wrote:
thank you for a pleasant post
Davenport

Danielson, CT

#14 Oct 29, 2012
Pink Eye wrote:
<quoted text>thank you for a pleasant post
My property manager in Gettysburg just called me and said that he saw many broken windows in the business district, and that he thinks it was looters, the wind wasn't strong enough to break windows like that.

I am glad that I have someone keeping an eye on things at my property, but I feel bad for the people who are at the mercy of the gang looters.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#15 Oct 29, 2012
Support mental health.

Since: Mar 11

Gettysburg, PA

#16 Oct 29, 2012
Davenport wrote:
I guess it would be to much to ask, where you got this information?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Gettysburg, PA

#17 Oct 29, 2012
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
My property manager in Gettysburg just called me and said that he saw many broken windows in the business district, and that he thinks it was looters, the wind wasn't strong enough to break windows like that.
I am glad that I have someone keeping an eye on things at my property, but I feel bad for the people who are at the mercy of the gang looters.
I think you property manager is telling you stories to get more money from you. I was in town this morning and saw no broken windows on any of the four main streets, or for that matter on any of the back streets I was on.

Keep giving him more money to protect your property an I am sure he will continue to give you more reports of crime and gang activity in the area.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pink Eye

New Tripoli, PA

#18 Oct 29, 2012
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
Security businesses would do well in Gettysburg. They could bring much needed jobs to the area, and provide security to the local homeowners.
Sadly those living in rent will have to rely on some other form of security.
Davenport

Danielson, CT

#19 Oct 29, 2012
11th Pennsylvania wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you property manager is telling you stories to get more money from you. I was in town this morning and saw no broken windows on any of the four main streets, or for that matter on any of the back streets I was on.
Keep giving him more money to protect your property an I am sure he will continue to give you more reports of crime and gang activity in the area.
Prove your allegations, you apologist liar. Prove it.

Gettysburg, PA

#20 Oct 29, 2012
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
I will again be in town tomorrow, and will gladly take pictures and e-mail them to anyone who would like the proof. I will put a copy of tomorrow’s paper in the picture so you can’t claim they are old pictures.

You can even select a specific neighborhood, business or address and I will take the picture showing no looting or other damage, other than something that may be done by the storm.

If you can explain how I can post the pictures here, I will do that also.

I'll bet your property manager can't send you any pictures, unless he caused the damage.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Gettysburg, PA

#21 Oct 29, 2012
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
And since we are having a significant weather event, with high winds, I will reserve the right to take an equal number of pictures for neighboring buildings, since you may be lucky enough to pick a building that has damage from the expected high winds.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Davenport

Danielson, CT

#22 Oct 29, 2012
11th Pennsylvania wrote:
<quoted text>
I will again be in town tomorrow, and will gladly take pictures and e-mail them to anyone who would like the proof. I will put a copy of tomorrow’s paper in the picture so you can’t claim they are old pictures.
You can even select a specific neighborhood, business or address and I will take the picture showing no looting or other damage, other than something that may be done by the storm.
If you can explain how I can post the pictures here, I will do that also.
I'll bet your property manager can't send you any pictures, unless he caused the damage.
Yeah right. Prove that you didn't photoshop the pictures. Everyone here is sick and tired of your baseless allegations. Get a life.

Gettysburg, PA

#23 Oct 29, 2012
Davenport wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah right. Prove that you didn't photoshop the pictures. Everyone here is sick and tired of your baseless allegations. Get a life.
So you are afraid of the truth?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biglerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family, friends charged in multi-year burglary ... Mon Davenport 4
Homeless count to be conducted in Adams County Jan 23 Gettysburglar 5
Local family caught after 3 year crime spree Jan 22 Abe Frohman 5
Gettysburg Child Rape/Violent/Serious Crime List (Sep '13) Jan 21 Costard 393
Police: Arrest made in Gettysburg stabbing Jan 21 Just a thought 10
Gettysburg professor releasing third album Jan 20 Benny Mcloed 5
Former Sheriff Kenneth Markel dies (Feb '10) Jan 16 Peggy Ann Roche 6
Biglerville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web