East Berlin residents: 'Slow down!'

East Berlin residents: 'Slow down!'

There are 85 comments on the Evening Sun story from Sep 8, 2010, titled East Berlin residents: 'Slow down!'. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

A speed limit sign is pictured along King Street in East Berlin, where residents say through traffic is regularly speeding through the borough and causing danger for themselves and those who live downtown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
duh

Hanover, PA

#1 Sep 8, 2010
If the current speed limit is 35mph and people are not doing that (as several people stated in the article) then what makes you think lowering the speed limit to 25mph is going to help?? Why not find out WHY the police department in that area is NOT enforcing the speed limit and issuing tickets for speeding to "everyone" who is not doing the speed limit. Why is the police dept. not doing their job by enforcing the laws is where I would start--I would not start with lowering a speed limit that people pay no attention to, to begin with...start enforcing the speed limit--word will get out and I bet many will slow down. Think of Littlestown
Rocket Science

Hanover, PA

#3 Sep 9, 2010
duh wrote:
If the current speed limit is 35mph and people are not doing that (as several people stated in the article) then what makes you think lowering the speed limit to 25mph is going to help?? Why not find out WHY the police department in that area is NOT enforcing the speed limit and issuing tickets for speeding to "everyone" who is not doing the speed limit. Why is the police dept. not doing their job by enforcing the laws is where I would start--I would not start with lowering a speed limit that people pay no attention to, to begin with...start enforcing the speed limit--word will get out and I bet many will slow down. Think of Littlestown
I agree. If the current speed limit of 35mph is not being driven or enforced why would anyone think a lowered speed limit of 25mph would be driven or enforced. The article sounds as if it was written more concerned with speeding then if 35mph is a safe speed for in town driving.
Resident of EB

Reading, PA

#4 Sep 9, 2010
o shut it Doris find something else to work on
The Facts

York, PA

#5 Sep 9, 2010
More TAX Dollars to be spent on the Legal Team.
Sabine you need to move to a rest home and take the 4 with you, Richards, Calyton Woodward & Phillips. That way you can all take your walkers and complain to other rest home residents, and you wont smell Hog Wild.
This is just another way for the Borough to spent money thay do not have. How much more are the citizens going to put up with. if you dont like the speed on 234, then MOVE OUT OF EAST BERLIN.
RUSTY46

Reading, PA

#6 Sep 9, 2010
Enforcement enforcement enforcement. Start enforcing the speed limit and people will slow down.
local

Pittston, PA

#7 Sep 9, 2010
EB is a one cop town. Only PSP can run radar, so what do you do?

Speed limit enforcement as a whole for the state is a joke.
Joker

Waynesboro, PA

#8 Sep 9, 2010
Try placing meat smokers on the sidewalks; perhaps people will slow down and check them out.

Since: Jul 09

East Berlin, Pa

#9 Sep 9, 2010
Love the picture Evening Sun. Thanks!
Strausy

Hanover, PA

#10 Sep 9, 2010
Ah yes, once again the Hysterical Society in panic mode. Hey let's remove the asphalt road surface and go back to dirt with horses and buggies. We have you to thank that there isn't a bridge over the Conewago on Kuhn Fording.
Ich bin ein East Berliner

Gettysburg, PA

#11 Sep 9, 2010
I personally loved the comment from Michael Crochunis, PennDOT spokesman, "If we go out there and a municipality wants the speed limit set for 35 (mph) and everyone's going 50, that's what it's going to be set at."

REALLY?! When will they be bumping up the speed limit on Hiway 15 to 80 mph....cuz that's what everyone is doing out there!

Beer Baroness...hahaha! I know, great pic!:) Although our dog thinks you are the "Biscuit Distributor." :)
Dover boy

Mechanicsburg, PA

#12 Sep 9, 2010
duh wrote:
Couple of problems here - state law requires local police give 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit before writing a ticket so 35 really means 45. Also people mistakenly perceive vehicles are speeding when they are not. Size of vehicle, moise, lighting conditions, all play a role in the perception of speed which is often inaccurate.
Street Racer

Hanover, PA

#13 Sep 9, 2010
LOL! Something hasn't happened yet in 11 years and now this person is worried something is going to happen now.

The police need to put dummies in police cars to slow people down.
DueDiligence

Harrisburg, PA

#14 Sep 9, 2010
I have pointed out on many occasions that what appears to be speeding happens to be the speed limit. There are many times as I travel PA283 that I am passing cars at 65mph, which is the speed limit and get the bird from other drivers. As far as enforcement options, there is VASCAR, or pacing speeding vehicles and that timing thing smaller townships use called a stop watch. So tell the cop to head on out and write some hazardous movers or just park his car along the route. If your speeding and see a cop most will slow down.
@ Dover its +6 for speeds under 55 MPH and +11 at 55MPH with a state max of 65.
Wow

Hanover, PA

#15 Sep 9, 2010
Dover boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Couple of problems here - state law requires local police give 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit before writing a ticket so 35 really means 45. Also people mistakenly perceive vehicles are speeding when they are not. Size of vehicle, moise, lighting conditions, all play a role in the perception of speed which is often inaccurate.
Sate law doesn't mean anything when you have the local police and Zepp handling citations. They work together very well when it comes to taking your money.
DueDiligence

Harrisburg, PA

#16 Sep 9, 2010
Street Racer wrote:
LOL! Something hasn't happened yet in 11 years and now this person is worried something is going to happen now.
The police need to put dummies in police cars to slow people down.
They already are!! Sorry could not resist, No offense to all my brothers (and sisters) in blue.
East Berlin Resident

Parkton, MD

#17 Sep 9, 2010
Like listed in other post. These people can't tell me that they know people are speeding. They can tell that from looking? Give me a break! I bet they would be suprised how many people aren't after a study. There is parking on both sides of 234 and 194, plus sidewalks. If she needs to be further away from the traffic go buy a place, not in town, where the house and flower beds are 100 yards from the road.
Quit irritating others because you have nothing better to do!
Dan

Gettysburg, PA

#18 Sep 9, 2010
If nobody does 35 MPH through East Berlin, what makes anyone think that LOWERING the speed limit is going to stop it?? Perhaps they are just trying to hurry up and get through town before they are asked by the council to remove any offensive bumper stickers, flags, signs, etc.. from thier vehicles!!
mjh233

United States

#19 Sep 9, 2010
I propose the boro council PAY Hog Wild to put their cooker back on the sidewalk so the smell of barbeque wafting in the breeze will cause traffic to naturally slow down......
Wow

Hanover, PA

#20 Sep 9, 2010
Dover boy wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the law that says this? Even if there is a law that says ?? miles over the speed limit before giving a ticket, they can at least pull them over and give them a warning to make them and others aware they are keeping an eye on it.
FRED

Mechanicsburg, PA

#21 Sep 9, 2010
I think East Berlin is in dire need of some good publicity... and an enema.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Biglerville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Adams County woman charged in fatal shooting of... Fri Jitterbug 1
News Gettysburg Burning Apr 28 Fitus T Bluster 6
News Gettysburg (PA) racino proposed for third time Apr 22 Gay Gettysburg Guy 17
Gettysburg Child Rape/Violent/Serious Crime List (Sep '13) Apr 17 Pink Eye 565
News Gettysburg professor arrested for arranging sex... (Aug '14) Apr 14 Pork 45
News Man charged with child rape after boy reportsa Apr 9 Badlands 4
gettysburg strippers? Apr 8 Male dancer 11

Biglerville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Biglerville Mortgages