Good as gold

United States

#1 Sep 16, 2012
I got a chance to come to the Union game Friday night and sit near their band. I have to say I was pretty impressed by their show and how much fun they seemed to be having. I was a member of the Lee High Band in high school and I'm always excited to see and hear a good, big, band. Props to the students and their director. He's doing a great job!
band fan

Huntersville, NC

#2 Sep 16, 2012
Good as gold wrote:
I got a chance to come to the Union game Friday night and sit near their band. I have to say I was pretty impressed by their show and how much fun they seemed to be having. I was a member of the Lee High Band in high school and I'm always excited to see and hear a good, big, band. Props to the students and their director. He's doing a great job!
The director is a female.
Good as gold

United States

#3 Sep 16, 2012
band fan wrote:
<quoted text>
The director is a female.
Oops...sorry. I didn't kow they got somebody new. You don't see many females teaching high school band around here. Good job, though.
BearDroppings

United States

#4 Sep 16, 2012
Love seeing so many kids in the band. Makes the games so much fun. They do a fantastic job! Keep it up!
band fan

Huntersville, NC

#5 Sep 17, 2012
She isn't new..... She was the director of Appalachia before consolidation.
Band Mom

United States

#6 Sep 17, 2012
band fan wrote:
She isn't new..... She was the director of Appalachia before consolidation.
I completely agree they are doing a great job let's not forget what a good job Travis is doing in turning this team into a team remisacent of the Tom Turner Coach Bolling ERA. Goooo Bears. Definitely making their mark this year.
Wonderful

Bristol, TN

#7 Sep 17, 2012
They do a great job!!
Bears

Wise, VA

#8 Oct 15, 2013
Union has a good band but the brass is very weak. Also, I don't like the idea of having a competition band separate from the football band. I understand the reasons, due to the apparent attendance problems they had at rehearsals in prior seasons. If there is an attendance problem, get rid of the problem.

Union is not DB.
BandSupporter

Norton, VA

#9 Oct 15, 2013
I think 2 bands are an excellent idea, this is their first year doing this so there are a few kinks to work out but I think they are awesome. And as far as brass goes I don't think they are weak, and I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to be DB.

I just wish they got more respect from our football fans. I have personally witnessed those kids be cursed at because people were asked to move out of the seats that were reserved for the band. Its a shame grown adults think they can speak to anyone much less a child like that. The band has traveled with the football team for years and have always set in a section together, these people know and each and every week park their butts on the top row and make ugly comments about those kids. wish they would say something to me, i wouldn't be nearly as nice as those kids.
agreed

United States

#10 Oct 15, 2013
The Band certainly deserves more respect than they get. Hard working kids doing what they thrive on. They got a lot of energy and cheer louder than anyone there.
Bears

Wise, VA

#11 Oct 16, 2013
BandSupporter wrote:
I think 2 bands are an excellent idea, this is their first year doing this so there are a few kinks to work out but I think they are awesome. And as far as brass goes I don't think they are weak, and I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to be DB.
I just wish they got more respect from our football fans. I have personally witnessed those kids be cursed at because people were asked to move out of the seats that were reserved for the band. Its a shame grown adults think they can speak to anyone much less a child like that. The band has traveled with the football team for years and have always set in a section together, these people know and each and every week park their butts on the top row and make ugly comments about those kids. wish they would say something to me, i wouldn't be nearly as nice as those kids.
I respect the band too and support them but I am also going to be honest, even if it is brutal.

They are good. Just not as good as they think.

Yes it is a shame that that grown adults feel the need to be ugly and the students deserve more respect. But like I said, I will be honest even if it has to be brutal.
BandSupporter

Norton, VA

#12 Oct 16, 2013
That is the great thing about opinions, everyone has a right to theirs. Not going to argue about that, but in my opinion I think the band is great and from what I can tell there may be a few that think they are better than everyone but as a whole I think they are a great bunch of kids.

I'm not sure if you have had a chance to see the competition band perform, if not then if you get a chance you should. It is a 360 from the football show ans shows the strengths of the older band members. Difficult music and complex marching, definetely my favorite of the two shows they do.

But thank you for agreeing about the respect thing, maybe if a few of the football fans that were also band supporters would speak up to these rude adults they would get a clue of how disrespectful they are being.
Love them

Wise, VA

#13 Oct 17, 2013
the band is terrific and Travis did a great job of making those two rivals come together. Exactly right reminds me of his Dad and coach Bolling ....Phil Robbins who ? lol

So glad to see the bears doing so well !!
Kathy

Norton, VA

#14 Oct 28, 2013
The band is one of the best high school bands I have ever heard. I enjoy watching their 1/2 time performances. I hold off on going to concessions until 3rd quarter just to hear them play!
Reality

Salem, VA

#15 Oct 29, 2013
To hell with the band! Taking up monies that should be used somewhere, well, somewhere besides the band! They need to sit the band, if they have one, waaaaaay away from real football fans and quit taking up room so football fans can have a seat. No one wants to hear that their crap....see what happens at halftime??? Fans would rather take a piss then listen to the band! Bands have their shows on Saturday showcases and you do not see football players interrupting them do you? It is the worst feeling in the world to get ready to watch a good high school game and having someone who can barely carry or play and instrument sit beside you and blast or honk like a duck!!! GO AWAY BAND!!!!
Bears

Greenville, SC

#16 Oct 29, 2013
You are stupid.
beth supporter

Norton, VA

#17 Oct 29, 2013
BandSupporter wrote:
hi big mouth beth!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Stone Gap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
on craigs who knows me wants me casual hookup y... 2 hr xxx 5
johnathan pilkenton jl pilkenton (Aug '14) 7 hr shenna pilkenton 11
Planet Vapor 9 hr Robert 1
Romano's 11 hr Jason 5
Looking for work Thu sassie 3
BSG movie news (Apr '14) Apr 21 they not speak tr... 25
Soldier Apr 16 JEb 2
More from around the web

Big Stone Gap People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE