Big Spring Smoking Ordinance

Aug 23, 2006 Read more: 216.87.159.46 12
Smoking in a restaurant...a person`s right, or infringing on the rights of non-smokers? This was the big question of the evening. Read more
susan hooper

Stockton, MO

#1 Sep 3, 2006
I have a right to breath.
Nancy Reed

Lakewood, OH

#2 Sep 5, 2006
I feel that though I do agree that people have a right to breathe, I do not understand why it must infringe on my rights to enjoy a cigarette after a meal that I paid for. Most restaurants have non-smoking sections and alot of them have spent thousands on trying to make it comfortable for non-smokers. I positively understand that some people cannot bear smoke. My mother was one due to COPD. But she still went to restaurants with us and we always sat in the non-smoking area when we were with her. I never heard her complain about smoke in a restaurant. Besides that, I don't feel that the City Council should have the right to tell business people that they cannot allow smoking in their establishments which they paid for and pay taxes on. Where will this end? What rights will they take from us next? We should at least have the right to vote for something which will affect so many people!
Kimberly Gonzalez

United States

#3 Sep 16, 2006
I'm a smoker. Howevery I'm for this smoking ordinance in a restaurant. I don't like to see someone smoking in a restaurant because of the kids. They don't need to be a round it. I have a 3 year old son, It's not easy, but I try not to smok around him. So, I hope that this ordinance is past. For the kids that is.
Cy Barg

United States

#4 Sep 28, 2006
The city has more important things to worry about then the smoking issue.
My wife and I feel that the city should have put this issue to the people of Big Spring to vote on.Both of us feel it is not right that 7 council people have the right to decide if resturant owner are going to allow smoking or not.
I myself find it very unfair to go to a resturant and find people drinking beer or wine but I can"t enjoy a smoke with my coffee.
Cy Barg

United States

#5 Sep 28, 2006
Cy Barg
Big Spring Tx.
Marie

Big Spring, TX

#6 Oct 5, 2006
susan hooper wrote:
I have a right to breath.
Yes, You do. But you don't live here.
Holly

Woodway, TX

#7 Jan 16, 2007
Not Fair!! Yes smoke is harmful,What about your sneezing and flatulence. I will get sick when you sneeze and/or feel nautious when you break wind. Are you going to go outside to do either? Doubt it! Therefore smoking should not be banned from public gatherings
just a guy

Big Spring, TX

#8 Jan 16, 2007
Is this the Cy with the shitty computers that enjoys ripping people off? If so, cram it up ur cramhole focker
queenb

Sweetwater, TX

#9 Mar 23, 2007
smoke travels upward. and if people in big spring cares about breathing i don't see how no smoking would help cause of all the toxic waste over there. they need to clean up their land field also
that one chick

United States

#10 Jun 30, 2007
i agree. the ordinence is GOOD. smoking is for H0ES and pimps who ScReWeD then got in that habit. i like don't like life or living, but i'm sure other people in that town do. so i approve of this.
texrealestateguy

Lubbock, TX

#11 Nov 16, 2007
interesting......

www.westtexasfsbo.com
OKC

Pecos, TX

#12 Dec 31, 2010
I agree with Kimberly, smoking is definitely not good at all for young ones, little less the people smoking. Some smoke, just because they enjoy it, not habit. That's ok too, but what's so wrong with a little respect or common courtesy towards others and waiting to take it outside? No one enjoys smelling like a dirty ash tray..
I understand in Austin,TX, smoking is banned even in the bars. That's great...Besides who in the world can afford a pack of cigarettes these days?
Big Spring,TX

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Spring Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 39 min Bubba 786
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 14 hr Fart 629
horrible town, with horrible people Apr 10 upset 1
News Texas Highways features Hotel Settles, Big Spring (Jul '13) Mar 21 Truluck 4
Sean Smith Mar '15 Conserved Citizen 2
Pound puppies in Big Spring doomed to die witho... Mar '15 jeanieb84 1
Best Maternity Hospital ? Mar '15 Olivia Austyn 1
More from around the web

Big Spring People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]