12-year old brings gun to school over...

12-year old brings gun to school over I-pod fight

There are 55 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 28, 2007, titled 12-year old brings gun to school over I-pod fight. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

BIG RAPIDS - A fight at a private school ended without injury after a 12-year-old brought a gun to class.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
bjobrn

Mecosta, MI

#42 Nov 28, 2007
As the parent of an almost 12yr old who has been bullied. I say: Keep the Ipods at home, and yes be involved, but some writers are right you don't always get heard when you try to tell what is going on, or get the correct response, I think the kid doing the bullying should be dealt with harshly also. And just so you know kids can be hurt badly physically and emotionally by "physical fights". Kids need to be supervised when on school property, and yes parents need to do a better job of being responsible for their kids. It didn't say who the ipod belonged to but no none better be taking my son's and if my son shows up with something I didn't pay for belive me we are at the school finding out where it came from and returning. ACCOUNTABILITY. I will give you raising kids when both parents work or single parent households is hard but we all need to work together.

“Greg Brady and me!!”

Since: Jul 07

Nunya!

#43 Nov 28, 2007
My son recently had another student pestering him -(they are both freshmen)- throwing trash at my son, walking right behind my son, and poking his finger in my son's chest. My son told him repeatedly to leave him alone. After the other young man hit my son, my son retaliated and hit back.

My son got suspended for three days. WHY? Well, the principal told me the ONLY reason my son was suspended for three days is because he hit this other child back, AFTER the child had hit him first.

I told my son, "if this kid EVER hits you again, make sure you punch his lights out - you are going to get suspended anyways, better make it worth your trouble!"

So, teach your children how to physically fight when confronted in school. Don't bring a gun to school! The best weapons for DEFENSE you have are right at the ends of your arms.
Investigate

Plymouth, MI

#44 Nov 29, 2007
Well said "Jinxed".I agree completely.You have to look at both sides of the story before you make a rash decision on what YOU think the truth of the matter is.
With all due respect

Grand Rapids, MI

#45 Nov 29, 2007
grow up wrote:
<quoted text>
"bad judgement on bringing an ipod to school"??? What about the GUN????????
Apparently we could go round and round with the chicken and egg argument as well...
small business

Rockford, MI

#46 Nov 29, 2007
My kids are in their 20s. Very sadly, because the state of morality, job insecurity, lack of values, lack of quality, lack of educated people, and so much more - they are seriously considering not having children. They had a wonderful childhood, are educated, have decent middle class jobs, as do their fiance(s), but sadly, they are all disenchanted about the future of America. I respect their opinions. I do hope they find a way to have hope and engage in the community to try to make the world a better place, one they want to bring children into. Guns and violence, murders, rapes, lack of strong ethics, etc. are taking this country down a Roman Empire scenario. I struggle to keep my chin up. I wish we all would turn off the television more often so our kids are less exposed to the nastiness. Happy Holidays to All!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#47 Nov 29, 2007
Today's oxymoron: Gun Control
go for the gusto

Lansing, MI

#48 Nov 29, 2007
Why did he point the gun and not fire. I would have stated that I didn't want to fight and waited for the first punch so I could blow his wig off like a cheap Toupee. Worst case senario Me spending 20 years in prison getting out at 32 while he spends the rest of his life in a grave for being a bully.
Julie

Kalamazoo, MI

#49 Nov 29, 2007
Why the teachers? This kid was wrong and has anyone asked who allowed him access to the gun? If he is toting a gun over an ipod incident he needs a shrink, and his parents need to be in jail.
neecer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok... I'll bite...
Why should the teachers be fired? Where in the article did it say that this happened IN the classroom? And how did he get the gun OUT OF HIS HOUSE in the first place? I'm sorry, I check my kids' packs before and after school. I check to make sure they have everything they need and if there are notes that come home. I KNOW if they are trying to sneak something to or from school!
And the one notified the teacher who then called police!
So, why is it the teachers' job to babysit little brats who decide at TWELVE it's perfectly ok to end a fight with a GUN!??!
Julie

Kalamazoo, MI

#50 Nov 29, 2007
Good Point!
Lucy44 wrote:
My son recently had another student pestering him -(they are both freshmen)- throwing trash at my son, walking right behind my son, and poking his finger in my son's chest. My son told him repeatedly to leave him alone. After the other young man hit my son, my son retaliated and hit back.
My son got suspended for three days. WHY? Well, the principal told me the ONLY reason my son was suspended for three days is because he hit this other child back, AFTER the child had hit him first.
I told my son, "if this kid EVER hits you again, make sure you punch his lights out - you are going to get suspended anyways, better make it worth your trouble!"
So, teach your children how to physically fight when confronted in school. Don't bring a gun to school! The best weapons for DEFENSE you have are right at the ends of your arms.
zot

Salt Lake City, UT

#51 Nov 30, 2007
Lucy in Rockford wrote:
Today's oxymoron: Gun Control
zot say.....somewhere man named oxy mad, people think he is a moron.....lol

“Time for work”

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#52 Nov 30, 2007
Lucy44 wrote:
We have taught our children to NEVER start a fight, but if all else fails, they had better do their best to END the fight. They may get into trouble with the school, but if it is in defense of themselves or others, they will not get into trouble at home. Bullies only are made to understand when "spoken" to in their own language in such a way that they cannot miss the point.

“Greg Brady and me!!”

Since: Jul 07

Nunya!

#53 Dec 1, 2007
Exacty Half Days, and I will be the first to admit that my son has gotten in trouble in the past, but this time, even the principal had to stand up for him, and the only reason he got suspended was school policy. I told him to just lay the kid out next time something like that happens, because hell, if you are going to get suspended, may as well make it good!6095

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#54 Dec 1, 2007
Julie wrote:
Why the teachers? This kid was wrong and has anyone asked who allowed him access to the gun? If he is toting a gun over an ipod incident he needs a shrink, and his parents need to be in jail.
<quoted text>
Julie,

I agree with you. I was responding to the person towards the start of this thread who's decided the teachers needed to be fired over this.

“get a life”

Since: Nov 07

Big Rapids, MI

#55 Dec 12, 2007
Joe Joe wrote:
why don't the liberals ban something useful for once, like hip-hop.
gangster culture is bound to breed gangsters.
well excuse me but it dont matter what your children watch on tv or lisen to on an ipod if you teach your kids right that is what they understand stop blaming everything else if make mistakes riasing are kids thats is us no one else get over it people we are raising them lets do it right and help those who need it

“get a life”

Since: Nov 07

Big Rapids, MI

#56 Dec 12, 2007
go for the gusto wrote:
Why did he point the gun and not fire. I would have stated that I didn't want to fight and waited for the first punch so I could blow his wig off like a cheap Toupee. Worst case senario Me spending 20 years in prison getting out at 32 while he spends the rest of his life in a grave for being a bully.
wow what happen to just fighting or going to get help this is f****d up to think that anyone would think like that

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Conservation group calls for statewide hearings... 18 hr Canada 1
Unsolved Murder (Mar '08) Dec 30 Larry 382
Osceola County Prosecutor (Jun '08) Oct '16 Justapril 44
corruption in the osceola county court system (Mar '09) Jul '16 Abigail Hunter 66
Poll Is Sandra Marvin a bad Prosecutor? (Dec '07) Jul '16 Abigail Hunter 85
what's happened to reed city (Mar '08) Jul '16 darkeyes 73
Detective Keathley (Apr '12) May '16 Austin vallad 3

Big Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Big Rapids Mortgages