12-year old brings gun to school over...

12-year old brings gun to school over I-pod fight

There are 55 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Nov 28, 2007, titled 12-year old brings gun to school over I-pod fight. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

BIG RAPIDS - A fight at a private school ended without injury after a 12-year-old brought a gun to class.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Batch 37 Pain is Good

United States

#1 Nov 28, 2007
He obviously read about kids getting killed over sneaker.
barbie

United States

#2 Nov 28, 2007
well, thank god this sh*t doesnt just happen in the ghetto schools of our nasty grand rapids.

it is a shame that this is what our kids are doing instead of just an old fashion fist fight. luckily no one was hurt. parents... now it is your turn to give him an old fashion whoopin. we cant continue having things like this happen any place in our schools.
Brains

Big Rapids, MI

#3 Nov 28, 2007
Obviously the teachers arn't doing their JOB! Mabe they should be FIRED! Sounds like a BULLY was on the wrong end of the handle. Not that the boy that had the gun was right,but mabe it will put an impact on the BULLY for the rest of his life. When he gets older mabe he wont live a life of crime because he will never know who has a gun and will use it.
Jamie2

Kalamazoo, MI

#4 Nov 28, 2007
Try him as an adult.
Brains

Big Rapids, MI

#5 Nov 28, 2007
Jamie2 wrote:
Try him as an adult.
Obviously you missed the part that said "He did not want to fight" In plain english: He felt like he was going to be beat up so he brought a gun to school to equal his odds. Why didn't he tell a teacher? Because they probably wouldn't listen to him any way.
Ron

Holland, MI

#6 Nov 28, 2007
kids don't know how to loose any more.
the liberal schools have made it that way, games with no winners or losers-
no games on school grounds with "touching".
thank a liberal for teaching your kids-nothing about life.
Jon

Holland, MI

#7 Nov 28, 2007
the liberal response will be to ban ipods at school.
april

Ogden, UT

#8 Nov 28, 2007
this is why i home school my kids.
tony tubbs

Holland, MI

#9 Nov 28, 2007
i think that it stupid to fight over an i-pod and to bring the gun to school the schools should have cops or more people watching the kids
Maria

Holland, MI

#10 Nov 28, 2007
Jon wrote:
the liberal response will be to ban ipods at school.
:) Funny, but sadly true.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#11 Nov 28, 2007
Brains wrote:
Obviously the teachers arn't doing their JOB! Mabe they should be FIRED! Sounds like a BULLY was on the wrong end of the handle. Not that the boy that had the gun was right,but mabe it will put an impact on the BULLY for the rest of his life. When he gets older mabe he wont live a life of crime because he will never know who has a gun and will use it.
Ok... I'll bite...

Why should the teachers be fired? Where in the article did it say that this happened IN the classroom? And how did he get the gun OUT OF HIS HOUSE in the first place? I'm sorry, I check my kids' packs before and after school. I check to make sure they have everything they need and if there are notes that come home. I KNOW if they are trying to sneak something to or from school!

And the one notified the teacher who then called police!

So, why is it the teachers' job to babysit little brats who decide at TWELVE it's perfectly ok to end a fight with a GUN!??!
Working Dad

Grand Rapids, MI

#12 Nov 28, 2007
april wrote:
Amen to that April.
mark

Battle Creek, MI

#13 Nov 28, 2007
The parents of this kid should be tried for their negligence!! The kid got the gun somehow didnt they? And the kid should be immediately expelled. Teachers have enough CRAP these days. They are not the 'enforcers'! I'm so sick of lousy parents laying all the responsibility on teachers to "direct" their BRATS. I'd kick that kids ass out of this school and take their parents to court and make them pay dearly. The only problem is that the rednect parents would probably beat the kid, as they obviously lack parenting skills!

Since: Jun 07

United States

#14 Nov 28, 2007
Well said Neecer. Most parents I know are pretty aware of what is in their children's back packs when they leave and when they come home.

“Go TIGERS!!”

Since: Nov 07

Caledonia, MI

#15 Nov 28, 2007
april wrote:
I am with you on that one.
FEELINGS

Cheboygan, MI

#16 Nov 28, 2007
neecer wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok... I'll bite...
Why should the teachers be fired? Where in the article did it say that this happened IN the classroom? And how did he get the gun OUT OF HIS HOUSE in the first place? I'm sorry, I check my kids' packs before and after school. I check to make sure they have everything they need and if there are notes that come home. I KNOW if they are trying to sneak something to or from school!
And the one notified the teacher who then called police!
So, why is it the teachers' job to babysit little brats who decide at TWELVE it's perfectly ok to end a fight with a GUN!??!
YOU ARE RIGHT, THE TEACHERS ARE THERE TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN AND THE PARENTS NEED TO TEACH RIGHT FROM WRONG, AND IT IS WRONG TO FIGHT WITH A GUN, PLAIN AND SIMPLE IT IS JUST WRONG..........WHAT WILL THIS CHILD DO WHEN HE GETS OLDER, HE NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT THAT YOU CANT USE GUN IN A FIGHT, IF HE KNEW THAT HE WAS GOING TO BE IN A FIGHT AND THATS WHY HE BROUGHT THE GUN THEN HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD HIS PARENTS, TEACHER AN ADULT, SOMEONE.
common sense

Greenville, SC

#17 Nov 28, 2007
Great job parents!! Now you have a 12 year old that WILL be expelled from school because you weren't paying attention to what was going on in his life and didn't make yourselves accessible to him to come to you with his problems. I am always aware of when my kids are troubled over something - your kid WILL show signs, then it is up to us as parents to TALK to them to find out what is going on with them. Yes it might take several tries to get them to open up, but if you keep talking to them, they will.
west MI mom

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Nov 28, 2007
common sense wrote:
Great job parents!! Now you have a 12 year old that WILL be expelled from school because you weren't paying attention to what was going on in his life and didn't make yourselves accessible to him to come to you with his problems. I am always aware of when my kids are troubled over something - your kid WILL show signs, then it is up to us as parents to TALK to them to find out what is going on with them. Yes it might take several tries to get them to open up, but if you keep talking to them, they will.
Almost exactly my first thoughts when I read this story.....how sad that a 12 year old thought first about bringing a gun to defend himself rather than talking to his parents first,(or a teacher/school counselor or other adult that he could confide in) Both of my sons have experienced bullys in the past but when threatened, they new enough to go to an adult to intervene rather than let things become violent. And how did they know to do that?? Their parents are involved in they're lives and talk to them.

“"Do Right Be Right"”

Since: Nov 07

Rockford Michigan

#19 Nov 28, 2007
FEELINGS wrote:
<quoted text>YOU ARE RIGHT, THE TEACHERS ARE THERE TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN AND THE PARENTS NEED TO TEACH RIGHT FROM WRONG, AND IT IS WRONG TO FIGHT WITH A GUN, PLAIN AND SIMPLE IT IS JUST WRONG..........WHAT WILL THIS CHILD DO WHEN HE GETS OLDER, HE NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT THAT YOU CANT USE GUN IN A FIGHT, IF HE KNEW THAT HE WAS GOING TO BE IN A FIGHT AND THATS WHY HE BROUGHT THE GUN THEN HE SHOULD HAVE TOLD HIS PARENTS, TEACHER AN ADULT, SOMEONE.
My Grandfather was a truck driver who owned his own company. He was murdered for the payroll after he slid off in a snow storm in Ohio.

My Husband is truck driver today, and Thankfully they dont carry large amounts of cash due to advances in checking, wire tranfers and the like.

The reason for this comparison is that times have changed good and bad for all professions. My husband is faced with a whole new set of problems that were not a part of Grandpa's world.

When we chose a profession, we must be willing to change with the times. Otherwise we chose another profession.

Teachers have this choice every day.

It is so naive to say: "teachers are there to teach".. HAH! B.S.! No way... theirs is a profession of managing children, and education is an afterthought.. and a whimsy.

As Mangers of children, they should be vigilent in thier observations of the children they are charged with.

If their is blame to be placed, it must be a 50/50 split. Both Manager and Parent.

We dont know in this case whether the parent has called many times, to report concerns of bullying, and those concerns were summarily dismissed.

We dont know if the Teacher contacted the Parent, numerous times, and found them unresponsive, or indifferent and unwilling to relinquish dollars or other things, to have a meeting.

Either way the blame rest's squarely on Parent and Manager.

Until we figure out a way to get parents back in school we will be doomed to repeat this scenario.

Parents are NOT welcome in School.

They are locked out of the building, and are highly discouraged from "popping" in. We have not figured out a way to get them involved, and to make them feel welcome and RESPONSIBLE!

Today you have an opportunity to "think tank" on ideas to change this.. will you take up the charge?

Or will you feel better blogging blame on someone, or something?

Parents need to serve in school... like Parochial ones, it should be a law. They should do actual work with children. Not just the stay at home parent, but the working parent.

Employers must cooperate and support this law, in order to facilitate this.

But then... the Managers will have to let them.

[[[[[[[[[< thats the unions and such rumbling..

Taylor

Chesterfield, MO

#20 Nov 28, 2007
For two students to fight over an iPod is stupid. Parents should keep waepons locked up. If parents allow for somthing like this to happen they need to go to a parenting classes or get help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Rapids Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Reed city motel information please (Apr '15) Dec 8 Julie Simmons 2
Internet outages yesterday and today Oct '17 Wolf 1
Unsolved Murder (Mar '08) Aug '17 Mariah 385
News Mecosta-Osceola teacher arrested for alleged se... (Nov '12) Aug '17 Mee 13
News Manistee County Sheriff's Office arrests man fo... Jun '17 WATCHING LIVONIA 1
motorcycle/truck accident this morning (Jun '07) May '17 Uranus 4
1970's murder (Sep '14) Apr '17 Lore 6

Big Rapids Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Big Rapids Mortgages