200 Second Amendment supporters gathe...

200 Second Amendment supporters gather for rally

There are 16 comments on the Chambersburg Public Opinion story from Apr 6, 2013, titled 200 Second Amendment supporters gather for rally. In it, Chambersburg Public Opinion reports that:

Mercersburg resident Greg Rotz stood in the front of the crowd of about 200 people bearing a tactical-style 12-gauge shotgun, a 9 mm semi-automatic pistol and the end of a folding knife poking out of his pocket.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chambersburg Public Opinion.

Since: May 12

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Apr 8, 2013
These three sentences from the article completely sum up the mindset of the rabid pro-gun crowd...

----------

"...he never likes to assume he is safe anywhere.

"I don't really believe that there really is such a thing as a safe place," he said. "You never know when you might need to protect yourself."

----------

I simply have no interest in living with this kind of fear and paranoia. I go about my life, day in and day out, every day without worrying for a second about my personal safety.

Why? Because, given the violent crime statistics where I live and work, being constantly vigilant and on-guard about my personal safety is simply not a rational mindset.

It's frustrating that a small group of fearful, paranoid individuals are responsible for preventing this nation from doing something meaningful about gun safety.
Say What

York, PA

#2 Apr 8, 2013
"..........It's frustrating that a small group of fearful, paranoid individuals are responsible for preventing this nation from doing something meaningful about gun safety."

You're 100% correct with this statement!

It's really a pathetic statement that nothing, absolutely NOTHING is being done to address the mental health problem.

Just read the latest on the Lanza family and issues!!!!

But oh no, instead of addressing this problem, let's violate the rights of the responsible citizens!!!

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Apr 8, 2013
Say What wrote:
"..........It's frustrating that a small group of fearful, paranoid individuals are responsible for preventing this nation from doing something meaningful about gun safety."
You're 100% correct with this statement!
It's really a pathetic statement that nothing, absolutely NOTHING is being done to address the mental health problem.
Just read the latest on the Lanza family and issues!!!!
But oh no, instead of addressing this problem, let's violate the rights of the responsible citizens!!!
Of course - as you know - I was referring to the paranoid rabidly pro-gun lobby that is preventing ANY action on gun safety in this country.

As to your point on mental health...

It is already illegal for persons who have been involuntarily committed to the hospital for mental health to own guns.

And the President's gun safety proposal includes initiatives to improve mental health services. It's the Republican Congress who is preventing that from happening.

As far as I know, Adam Lanza didn't have a mental illness. What's "the latest" that you heard?

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Apr 8, 2013
NOW IS THE TIME
The President’s plan to protect our children and our communities by reducing gun violence

4: IMPROVING MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES

A. MAKE SURE STUDENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS GET TREATMENT FOR MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES
• Reach 750,000 young people through programs to identify mental illness early and refer them to treatment
• Provide “Mental Health First Aid” training for teachers
• Make sure students with signs of mental illness get referred to treatment
• Support individuals ages 16 to 25 at high risk for mental illness
• Help schools address pervasive violence
• Train more than 5,000 additional mental health professionals to serve students and young adults
• Launch a national conversation to increase understanding about mental health

B. ENSURE COVERAGE OF MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT
• Finalize requirements for private health insurance plans to cover mental health
services
• Make sure millions of Americans covered by Medicaid get quality mental health coverage

----------

If you want to see more being done to help persons with mental illness, press you local congressmen to pass the President's plan.

Of course, the vast, vast majority of incidents of gun violence have nothing to do with mental illness. Blaming persons with mental illness for gun violence in this nation is a form of bigotry.
Concerned citizen

Clearfield, PA

#5 Apr 8, 2013
Dan the Man Chambersburg wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course - as you know - I was referring to the paranoid rabidly pro-gun lobby that is preventing ANY action on gun safety in this country.
As to your point on mental health...
It is already illegal for persons who have been involuntarily committed to the hospital for mental health to own guns.
And the President's gun safety proposal includes initiatives to improve mental health services. It's the Republican Congress who is preventing that from happening.
As far as I know, Adam Lanza didn't have a mental illness. What's "the latest" that you heard?
Over 20,000 gun laws on the books and you want more? Go after those who commit crimes with guns...send them to prison, go after the liberal judges who let them off lightly. If you don't break into my home or business or try and harm my family you have no reason to worry.

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Apr 8, 2013
Concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text> Over 20,000 gun laws on the books and you want more? Go after those who commit crimes with guns...send them to prison, go after the liberal judges who let them off lightly. If you don't break into my home or business or try and harm my family you have no reason to worry.
Which of the existing laws do you think would make a difference in reducing gun violence if they were enforced properly?
TaxNoMore

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Apr 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Which of the existing laws do you think would make a difference in reducing gun violence if they were enforced properly?

This post is like the incoherent ramblings of a crazy person.
Say What

York, PA

#11 Apr 9, 2013
".....As far as I know, Adam Lanza didn't have a mental illness. What's "the latest" that you heard?"

Dan, you're computer savvy, search it and read some of the new materials, emails etc!

While at it, search for James Holmes also and check his history and the miserable falire of the mental health system that clearly was responsible for the Aurora shooting!!!

The present Leahy-Schumer-Reid bill is an abomination!!!

It calls for taxing of all gun owners, a tax rate to be set by the AG, really???

It also bans loaning or borrowing guns, even for legal purposed and makes it a FELONY!!

If you have a gun stolen or lost, YOU have 24 hours to report it to local police (which they should be), plus YOU must report it directly to DOJ. ANY violation is a FELONY!!

Hmmmmm, any idea why they want ALL the violations to be classed as a FELONY??????

Read the bill these 3, the Annointed One and the rest of the anti-gun establishment are pushing and you will CLEARLY see this is not about "back ground checks" !!!!

Chambersburg, PA

#13 Apr 9, 2013
Say What wrote:
".....As far as I know, Adam Lanza didn't have a mental illness. What's "the latest" that you heard?"
Dan, you're computer savvy, search it and read some of the new materials, emails etc!
Adam Lanza was autistic. That is not a mental illness and there is no connection between autism and violence. Blaming the killing at Newtown on mental illness is false.
Say What

York, PA

#14 Apr 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Adam Lanza was autistic. That is not a mental illness and there is no connection between autism and violence. Blaming the killing at Newtown on mental illness is false.
HORSESHIT!

Read the news, it was more than autism and you're doing exactly what the left is famous for, spin it away from the true cause to further your anti-gun agenda and TOTALLY IGNORE THE PROBLEM that caused this AND every news worthy-mass shooting pushing this BS emotional gun grab!

Since: Jun 08

Not Waynesboro or Hagerstown

#15 Apr 9, 2013
NOW IS THE TIME
The President’s plan to protect our children and our communities by reducing gun violence
4: IMPROVING MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
A. MAKE SURE STUDENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS GET TREATMENT FOR MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES
• Reach 750,000 young people through programs to identify mental illness early and refer them to treatment
• Provide “Mental Health First Aid” training for teachers
• Make sure students with signs of mental illness get referred to treatment
• Support individuals ages 16 to 25 at high risk for mental illness
• Help schools address pervasive violence
• Train more than 5,000 additional mental health professionals to serve students and young adults
• Launch a national conversation to increase understanding about mental health
B. ENSURE COVERAGE OF MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT
• Finalize requirements for private health insurance plans to cover mental health
services
• Make sure millions of Americans covered by Medicaid get quality mental health coverage
----------
If you want to see more being done to help persons with mental illness, press you local congressmen to pass the President's plan.
Of course, the vast, vast majority of incidents of gun violence have nothing to do with mental illness. Blaming persons with mental illness for gun violence in this nation is a form of bigotry.
Is Obamacare going to pay for all this?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#16 Apr 9, 2013
Revelations About Adam Lanza's Mental Health Still Don't Explain the Violence
By Adam Clark Estes | The Atlantic Wire – Tue, Feb 19, 2013

Frontline finally aired the findings of its weeks-long investigation into Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza, his mother and his mental health on Tuesday night. Answers were not among the findings. Okay, that's exaggerating the situation slightly. In the first part of "Raising Adam Lanza," produced by PBS and The Hartford Courant, we did learn more about Adam Lanza's childhood, and his mother's failure in "failing at bringing him out of his little world," to borrow the words of one Newtown school official. We learned more about Nancy Lanza's private life and even got to read some of her emails. Perhaps most enlightening of all, we learned more about Adam Lanza's mental health history, and how that affected his life at home and at school. What's less enlightening, though, is how this mental health history is related, if at all, to his decision to open fire on a school full of children on that cold December day, two months ago.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#17 Apr 9, 2013
Lanza was diagnosed with sensory integration disorder (SID) as a young boy. This condition essentially heightens sensory perception to the point that they can become overwhelming.

SID is is not listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM), and the medical community is currently at odds over whether it's actually its own condition or simply symptomatic of another condition, perhaps autism or Aspberger's. This would explain why Lanza was diagnosed with Aspberger's after being diagnosed with SID. Again, Aspberger's is not linked to violent behavior and neither is SID, but there is a chance that it contributed to anger or anxiety problems.

So is that it? Adam Lanza didn't like to be touched, got bullied, got angry and decided to go on a shooting spree? No, it's not, and it's still disadvantageous to suggest that Adam Lanza's mental illness drove him to homicide.

Chambersburg, PA

#18 Apr 9, 2013
Say What wrote:
<quoted text>
HORSESHIT!
Read the news, it was more than autism and you're doing exactly what the left is famous for, spin it away from the true cause to further your anti-gun agenda and TOTALLY IGNORE THE PROBLEM that caused this AND every news worthy-mass shooting pushing this BS emotional gun grab!
Sorry friend, but that's all I can find. I asked you earlier for more information, but you decided you'd rather be a smartass than answer a simple question.
TaxNoMore

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Apr 17, 2013

“Boston Marathon Massacre” families to fly to D.C. with Obama

Family members of victims of the Boston Marathon Massacre plan to lobby lawmakers on Capitol Hill to support measures to tighten laws on HIGH CAPACITY pressure cooker IED devices.

WASHINGTON — At least 15 of the 170-plus victims of the Boston Marathon Massacre bombing will fly from Boston to Washington with President Obama aboard Air Force One on Monday night, according to White House spokesman Jay Carney.

Obama is headed to Boston on Monday to deliver an address on pressure cooker IED device control at Boston University.

The speech comes nearly four days after the Boston Marathon bombing massacre, that left three people killed and more than 170 injured.

Obama has been pushing to bolster HIGH CAPACITY pressure cooker IED device laws in the aftermath of the tragedy, and the Senate is expected to debate HIGH CAPACITY pressure cooker IED device legislation later this week or next.

Several Boston Marathon Massacre families had planned on traveling to Capitol Hill this week to press lawmakers to back several measures to tighten IED device laws — including establishing a universal background checks on all persons involved in the purchase of HIGH CAPACITY pressure cooker, BBs, ball bearings, razor blades, gun powder or black backpacks.

The White House extended the invitation to the Boston Marathon Massacre families, so they could attend Obama's speech and still get to Washington in time to lobby lawmakers concerning the banning of HIGH CAPACITY pressure cookers, Carney said.

There my not be a right to "feel" safe, but we most certainly have a right to BE safe.
El Coronel Juan J Lopez

Shippensburg, PA

#21 Apr 21, 2013
Some Americans just can't fully comprehend what the word "Freedom" means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Big Cove Tannery Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
white jeep patriot (Feb '14) May 25 martz family 22
News Mecersburg man to have hearing on charge of ste... Apr '15 dumper heinbaugh 1
vincent e martz Mar '15 martz family 1
harold martz jr.family Jan '15 harold martz 1
Trail Life USA and American Heritage Girls - Gr... (Nov '13) Oct '14 sec287 3
Buy/Sell Tannery machines & equipment (Apr '13) Apr '13 Machines2find 1
News Looking Back 1942: Catching moonshiners in the ... (Feb '12) Feb '12 fancy 1
More from around the web

Big Cove Tannery People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]