CONSOL to lay off 500 miners , but wh...

CONSOL to lay off 500 miners , but who is to blame?

There are 112 comments on the blogs.wvgazette.com story from Dec 9, 2009, titled CONSOL to lay off 500 miners , but who is to blame?. In it, blogs.wvgazette.com reports that:

Just a little more than two weeks before Christmas now, and Pittsburgh-based CONSOL Energy drops a bomb on 500 West Virginia families.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blogs.wvgazette.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
ralph

Beckley, WV

#1 Dec 11, 2009
shows what they think of WV. Now they say its our fault when they control the land the court system and labor.
littlebit

Peach Creek, WV

#2 Dec 11, 2009
its those democrats up there in washington
sure is

United States

#3 Dec 11, 2009
amen to that "littlebit"!
right

Oak Hill, WV

#4 Dec 11, 2009
You guys must not have read the article closely or just choose to look the other way like most pro coal people do.Consol got shut down because they were 2 years late on submitting their mitigation plan for the clean water act that was enacted many years ago to protect water quality at MTR sites.They were even mining the area before it was given to the public for comment.They got away with it for a long time simply because the Busch admin. relaxed the laws of the cleanwater act while he was president and now Obama wants it done right if your gonna do it at all and that is the way it should be.What is wrong with someone being made to perform a task in the correct manner.If they werent so ate up with the greed of money they could have done it right long ago and these people probably would have a job for a long time.Oh well,dont matter now.

“opinions-r-like- azzhollios”

Since: Jan 09

Daniels

#5 Dec 11, 2009
right wrote:
You guys must not have read the article closely or just choose to look the other way like most pro coal people do.Consol got shut down because they were 2 years late on submitting their mitigation plan for the clean water act that was enacted many years ago to protect water quality at MTR sites.They were even mining the area before it was given to the public for comment.They got away with it for a long time simply because the Busch admin. relaxed the laws of the cleanwater act while he was president and now Obama wants it done right if your gonna do it at all and that is the way it should be.What is wrong with someone being made to perform a task in the correct manner.If they werent so ate up with the greed of money they could have done it right long ago and these people probably would have a job for a long time.Oh well,dont matter now.
Not to mention the 10000 fish they killed in Dunkard creek between clay battlle and morgantown, a creek that I personally caught 2 muskie in and will never see that again in that creek. Im not an enverionmentalist, but when that happens to something you can relate too, I changes ones prespective.

“opinions-r-like- azzhollios”

Since: Jan 09

Daniels

#6 Dec 11, 2009
I honesty dont understand why any West Virginian would be for Mnt TOP removal. Forget about the environment, It put 10s of thousands of men out of work because it uses 1/25th of the labor force as traditional mining. West Virginians have been beaten down so bad by the coal industy bigs that now, they actually would kill for the scraps of what used to be a great livelyhood in this state. And then are fooled into believing its great. Thank god railroad companies cant pull up track and move it to beat down the labor force....just so they can come back in 5 or 10 years and put to work 75% less people and pay them 1/2 as much.

“opinions-r-like- azzhollios”

Since: Jan 09

Daniels

#7 Dec 11, 2009
Oh but I forgot, Don B says coal keeps the lights on so we wipe the KY off our but and praise the likes of him for cutting our work force to nothing and being thankful that they allow the few that are working to make a little money.
right

Oak Hill, WV

#8 Dec 11, 2009
Very good points
Whos Lying

United States

#9 Dec 12, 2009
mpkingfish wrote:
Oh but I forgot, Don B says coal keeps the lights on so we wipe the KY off our but and praise the likes of him for cutting our work force to nothing and being thankful that they allow the few that are working to make a little money.
FYI: "Don B" has nothing to do with Consol. So, what's "Don B" have to do with this story?

Furthermore, 80% of the 500 miners who will be laid off are surface miners. The remaining 20% are deep miners. Why is it that the strip employed more than the deep mine? According to most who "think" they know every single thing about mining, state that surface mining employees less than deep. It appears not to be TRUE involving this mine. Hmm...yet another lie!

“opinions-r-like- azzhollios”

Since: Jan 09

Daniels

#10 Dec 12, 2009
Whos Lying wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI: "Don B" has nothing to do with Consol. So, what's "Don B" have to do with this story?
Furthermore, 80% of the 500 miners who will be laid off are surface miners. The remaining 20% are deep miners. Why is it that the strip employed more than the deep mine? According to most who "think" they know every single thing about mining, state that surface mining employees less than deep. It appears not to be TRUE involving this mine. Hmm...yet another lie!
My statement was don b and the LIKES, which includes , basically the coal companies, so unless consol has converted to auto making, includes them. AND, YES, SURFACE MINING GREATLY REDUCES LABOR. Stop promoting company propaganda. Beleive it or not, we folks of WV arent as dumb as you people keep counting on us being. But desperate for work we are so we eat your poop with a smile.
another lie

United States

#11 Dec 12, 2009
Whos Lying wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI: "Don B" has nothing to do with Consol. So, what's "Don B" have to do with this story?
Furthermore, 80% of the 500 miners who will be laid off are surface miners. The remaining 20% are deep miners. Why is it that the strip employed more than the deep mine? According to most who "think" they know every single thing about mining, state that surface mining employees less than deep. It appears not to be TRUE involving this mine. Hmm...yet another lie!
Well there you go. It has to be Obama.

You ask why so many more strip employees, they dont run many deep. They get all they can from strip/surface mine it is cheaper for the company. They do not want the expense of going deep. I dont understand why people around here support mtr either, If the company wants the coal, make them go deep and get it. More jobs for miners.

“opinions-r-like- azzhollios”

Since: Jan 09

Daniels

#12 Dec 12, 2009
Wow, I finally just read the article,ALL of it, and see why the judge did what he did. this is 100% on consols head for completly ignoring the mitigation plan order . this has nothing to do with liberal or conservitive. This has to do with above the law arogance by the Consol leadership.
and 1 whole surfacming opperation employees only 340 people and you say thats a lot. What underground opperations are you familiar with?? Thats not even close to the hootowl and most of the undergrounds except for the little punch holes... PLEASE stop insulting WV work force with distorted blabydablaba

“opinions-r-like- azzhollios”

Since: Jan 09

Daniels

#13 Dec 12, 2009
another lie wrote:
<quoted text>
Well there you go. It has to be Obama.
You ask why so many more strip employees, they dont run many deep. They get all they can from strip/surface mine it is cheaper for the company. They do not want the expense of going deep. I dont understand why people around here support mtr either, If the company wants the coal, make them go deep and get it. More jobs for miners.
because when a labor workforce is beatn down, they become greatful and loyal to what ever pewny bone is thrown at them. And they are so focused on providing for their family, they become brainwashed for fear of losing what they have.
right

Oak Hill, WV

#14 Dec 12, 2009
I can guarantee you mpkingfish that when pro coal reads articles like that....they skip right over the info about why it happened like they always do.
capitalist pig

Rocky Mount, NC

#15 Dec 12, 2009
As much as i dispise the EPA and all the tree huggers in the Obama administration, it appears that Consol is in the wrong on this issue. they know the laws and they should have followed them. If we had any leadership in WV that was worth a damn they would be setting down with the coal industry and the EPA, Army Corp, and DEP and make it clear that the mining laws will be enforced, but then get off the backs of those who are trying to provide jobs. For all the talk about alternative energy, there is no substitute for fossil fuels for at least the next 20 years or more and all this insanity between the coal companies and the EPA is just hurting the economy and the families that depend on the coal industry for their living. The feds and the state need to get to together and have one set of mining laws and enforce them. There needs to be a partnership between government and the coal industry.
Whos Lying

United States

#16 Dec 12, 2009
mpkingfish wrote:
<quoted text>Not to mention the 10000 fish they killed in Dunkard creek between clay battlle and morgantown, a creek that I personally caught 2 muskie in and will never see that again in that creek. Im not an enverionmentalist, but when that happens to something you can relate too, I changes ones prespective.
The Consol mine you are referring to is a deep mine.
informed citizen

Oak Hill, WV

#17 Dec 12, 2009
ok, folks - there's always "more" to any story, so check out these comments from Ken Wards' Coal Tattoo blog

starting with kds - comment 23 and reading down a few more --

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/coaltattoo/2009/12...
Whos Lying

United States

#18 Dec 12, 2009
another lie wrote:
<quoted text>
You ask why so many more strip employees, they dont run many deep.
Understandable. Their deep mine is small compared to their strip mine at the Fola operation. Thanks.
right

Oak Hill, WV

#19 Dec 12, 2009
And i dont really give rats azz about people who think MTR is o.k.BUT..however i do agree with you on your post.If MTR could be done the absolute correct way every single time..i believe i could learn to accept that.But i'd just about bet that IF the rules and laws were strictly enforced all along,that the coal companies would be required to spend alot more money and time to get it done right,therefore they would probably stop doing it all together cause they wouldnt be able to line their pockets so thick with money.Either that or you would see workers out there doing it for a lot less money.Thats what MTR was all about to begin with....more money..less people.These coal company owners arent concerned about getting it done the right way,they see nothing but money and consol is proof of it.I believe in time your gonna see alot more fall to the way side for the same kind of reasons.
Whos Lying

United States

#20 Dec 12, 2009
another lie wrote:
<quoted text>
They get all they can from strip/surface mine it is cheaper for the company. They do not want the expense of going deep.
Is this just for the Fola operation? Because I know that Consol Energy is mostly deep mines with very few surface mines. Plus, Consol has only had ownership of Fola for a year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bickmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 7 hr Hickabilly BR549 1,341
Anybody know James J. Ramsey (Jan '10) May '16 Disgusted 10
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in West Virgi... (Oct '10) Mar '16 tom 75
tisha tanner (Feb '15) Feb '15 citizen 1
find lo ve free here! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Hai Odegard 1
james e king (Oct '12) Oct '12 sunny falling rock 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in West Vir... (Oct '10) Feb '11 neveragain 35
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bickmore Mortgages