|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Ask Butch wrote:
Ask Butch if they can have a TRIBUTE CONTEST. The best look a like or sound a like of singers Precious Bryants and Clydes Barker.
Speaking of Butch, he's making his British debut in a London art gallery shortly:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/28/bu...

"For fans of American folk art, Butch Anthony is already a legend. The 48-year-old ‘artist, builder and picker of things’ hosts Doo Nanny, an annual alt/folk art festival that sees people from around the world flock to his 80-acre home in Alabama. There they are free to camp, party and share art in what the New York Times described as a “self-contained universe” full of his own work, featuring, among other things, the ‘Museum of Wonder’– a barn full of art oddities that includes a replica of a human skeleton and ‘the world’s largest gallbladder’. We challenge anyone to watch the video above and not want to pay a visit themselves. Despite his cult status in America (he’s a minor TV star on the History Channel and has been a muse for documentary maker Les Blank for years), Anthony has never exhibited in the UK - until next month. Intertwangelism opens at London's Black Rat Gallery on 7 February and features his work painting over old photographs. The result is a strange mix of nostalgia and pop art that will offer UK visitors a good introduction to the work of one of America’s most eccentric artists..."

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Smiths Station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

_Zipper_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Started some discussions up here on some ATL music boards about the money making scheme of doonanny and other festivals.
Shoot me an email and I'll provide links
zipperwade@gmail.com
Peace
Its on the way and please keep my email private, thanks.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Ask Butch wrote:
Ask Butch if they can have a TRIBUTE CONTEST. The best look a like or sound a like of singers Precious Bryants and Clydes Barker.
Not a bad idea since they already do Elvis and similar icons.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Those Teeth wrote:
I says LOCATE store. Forgive please. In my country we study English for many year. Often time we do not catch your minutia.
"You a wild and crazy guy!"

--
Smih Station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Thanks for the info, Zipper.

I really wish you could have seen Doo Nanny when it first started before people started seeing it as a way to make money.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Smih Station Panthers wrote:
Thanks for the info, Zipper.
I really wish you could have seen Doo Nanny when it first started before people started seeing it as a way to make money.
So, Panther... what years are you claiming you went to Doo-Nanny?

As Josh Green has revealed, Doo-Nanny has been charging a ten dollar admission for three years.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
Sladeblade

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Doo Nanny sucks, plain and simple.
Avoid at all costs.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Sladeblade wrote:
Avoid at all costs.
Well if you don't like Doo-Nanny, then by all means stay home!

Otherwiae... many do like Doo-Nanny!

Doo-Nanny is being written up in places like the New York Times now, hardy just a "small social event" at this point, and in fact was a world class art and music event years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/garden/08do...

"...LIKE a medieval village, Butch Anthony’s 80-acre family compound is a self-contained universe, and every inch of it is an expression of his prodigious creative spirit. It makes a tempting destination for folk art aficionados, as well as the sort of art world tourists who’ve already ticked Marfa, Tex., or Joshua Tree, in the California desert, off their lists. Mr. Anthony, a lanky and laconic 46-year-old who dresses exclusively in Liberty denim overalls (he owns 25 pairs) and a battered straw hat (he has 10), is a self-taught artist, builder and local hero, whom the state of Alabama once chose to make a Christmas tree ornament for the White House — the Bush 43 version. He is also the host of the Doo Nanny..."

"...Like Burning Man, the extreme art fair held each summer in the Nevada desert, the Doo Nanny offers both a burning effigy and an exercise in creative camping. Mr. Anthony has thoughtfully provided a tepee, an outdoor kitchen, a solar-powered shower, outhouses and a wood-fueled hot tub, all built from and decorated with the sort of handmade trash-into-art pieces — ethereal chandeliers pieced together with cow bones and twigs gnawed by beavers — that are his specialty. It now attracts an intrepid crowd of makers and their fans who gather on the last weekend in March not only to show their work — and sell some, too, if they’re lucky — but to hang out with like-minded friends and partake of Mr. Anthony’s particular brand of Southern hospitality, which is certainly as homespun and country as his accent, but has an impish, renegade backbeat. It is also a chance to see Mr. Anthony on his own, very atmospheric, turf."

No, Doo-Nanny isn't for eveyone... but who would /want/ it to be?
And of course the $$$ will go to the organizers... most likey to Butch Anthony, who owns the farm Doo-Nanny takes place on.
I think this notion that Doo-Nanny should remain "free" is a bit silly, and I wager most other folks will, as well.

--
Ashes To Justice / Will Dockery & Sandy Madaris
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/...
Smith station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

So the New York Times article was about Butch's house and land, how they decorate and their lifestyle, not $Doo-Nanny$

Butch has really moved up in the world hob-knobbing with the NYC times, I think that whole folky alternate lifestyle is a put on anyway but hey, if you can make a buck off it at $doo-nanny$ then go for it, just not from me.
Smith Station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Sladeblade wrote:
Avoid at all costs.
I agree

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Smith Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree
I agree also.

If you don't like Doo-Nanny, do us all a favor and stay home.

Fair enough?

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Smith station Panthers wrote:
So the New York Times article was about Butch's house and land, how they decorate and their lifestyle, not $Doo-Nanny$
Butch has really moved up in the world hob-knobbing with the NYC times, I think that whole folky alternate lifestyle is a put on anyway but hey, if you can make a buck off it at $doo-nanny$ then go for it, just not from me.
No, didn't you read the article?

Doo-Nanny was covered and described at length:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/garden/08do...

"...LIKE a medieval village, Butch Anthony’s 80-acre family compound is a self-contained universe, and every inch of it is an expression of his prodigious creative spirit. It makes a tempting destination for folk art aficionados, as well as the sort of art world tourists who’ve already ticked Marfa, Tex., or Joshua Tree, in the California desert, off their lists. Mr. Anthony, a lanky and laconic 46-year-old who dresses exclusively in Liberty denim overalls (he owns 25 pairs) and a battered straw hat (he has 10), is a self-taught artist, builder and local hero, whom the state of Alabama once chose to make a Christmas tree ornament for the White House — the Bush 43 version. He is also the host of the Doo Nanny..."

"...Like Burning Man, the extreme art fair held each summer in the Nevada desert, the Doo Nanny offers both a burning effigy and an exercise in creative camping. Mr. Anthony has thoughtfully provided a tepee, an outdoor kitchen, a solar-powered shower, outhouses and a wood-fueled hot tub, all built from and decorated with the sort of handmade trash-into-art pieces — ethereal chandeliers pieced together with cow bones and twigs gnawed by beavers — that are his specialty. It now attracts an intrepid crowd of makers and their fans who gather on the last weekend in March not only to show their work — and sell some, too, if they’re lucky — but to hang out with like-minded friends and partake of Mr. Anthony’s particular brand of Southern hospitality, which is certainly as homespun and country as his accent, but has an impish, renegade backbeat. It is also a chance to see Mr. Anthony on his own, very atmospheric, turf."

No, Doo-Nanny isn't for eveyone... but who would /want/ it to be?
And of course the $$$ will go to the organizers... most likey to Butch Anthony, who owns the farm Doo-Nanny takes place on.

I think this notion that Doo-Nanny should remain "free" is a bit silly, and I wager most other folks will, as well.

--
Smith Station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Will Dockery wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree also.
If you don't like Doo-Nanny, do us all a favor and stay home.
Fair enough?
--
I am not going to Doo-Nanny but I will continue to post about it here, go ahead and complain to the moderators about it.
Smith Station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

It seems the New York Times article wasn't $doonanny$ at all.... it was about Butch's house and land. It was still a good article but not about $doo-nanny$
It costs $10.00 to get into $Doo-Nanny$ now BTW.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I am not going to Doo-Nanny but I will continue to post about it here, go ahead and complain to the moderators about it.
That's silly.

I don't need a "moderator" to laugh at you and your whines about Doo-Nanny now having a cover charge.

If you can't afford to attend Doo-Nanny, then stay at home... and since you've repeatedly stated that you didn't even enjoy Doo-Nanny that's all the more reason for your to skip it.

Fair enough?

As for "complaining" to the moderators, as long as you don't get offensive or commit libel or racist hate speech here, I don't think the Topix.com moderators will have a problem with you, since as far as I know, you've never posted libel, slander, forgery or other actual crimes.

Topix.com got a lot of negative publicity from letting a LOT of this hate speech, racism, libel, slander and personal attacks stay posted, so their very likely keeping a closer hold on it now, as the New York times reported:

I've seen posts removed from here days, weeks after they were posted, and the statement from Topix.com gives no such "facts":

"...Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator."

All of which is fine with me, since I think the offensive language, racism and other garbage posted here at times can drive good readers and writers away.

The original post that explained why Topix.com doesn't allow the libel, slander, personal attacks and hate speech to remain posted, and for good reasons, at that:

The "problem and animosity" seems to be a widespread problem with anonymous trolls, hiding behind fake names and posting lies and smears against people.

Unfortunately for you, I fight back and correct your lies and misrepresentations about me... and label you for the trash you are. Truth hurts, eh?

The fact is that I'm just a real person posting here, while anonymous trolls create these threads apparently from some obsessed agenda they have to attempt to smear my name, libel, and otherwise misrepresent me. And from further reading, it appears to be a sort of Topix.com phenomenon that some don't seem to be able to deal with as well as I have.

For example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/us/small-to...

"...a social media Web site called Topix, where they write and read startlingly negative posts, all cloaked in anonymity, about one another. And in Dee’s Place, people are not happy... called Topix a 'cesspool of character assassination.'[...] In rural America, older, poorer remote population lagged the rest of the country in embracing the Internet, the growing use of social media is raising familiar concerns about bullying and privacy... hubs of unsubstantiated gossip, stirring widespread resentment in communities where ties run deep, memories run long and anonymity is a novel concept.'Something about rural culture seems to make people want to have conversations in public,' Topix, a site lightly trafficked in cities, enjoys a dedicated and growing following across the Ozarks, Appalachia and much of the rural South, establishing an unexpected niche in communities of a few hundred or few thousand people..."

And, of course, there's a difference between free speech and
libel. The posts made here and elsewhere on Topix.com by the trolls you asked about generally tend to fall into the latter category.

--

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

It seems the New York Times article wasn't $doonanny$ at all
What, you didn't even read the New York Times article?

Doo-Nanny was indeed covered at length in the article, including, date of the event, and the address:

\http://www.nytimes.com/2010/0 4/08/garden/08doonanny.html
Smith Station Panthers

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

The article was more about Butch than $Doo-Nanny$.
As I have stated before, the article was in the Home & Garden section, not the entertainment section.
That means that the NY Times thought the music wasn't nothing, what they found interesting was Butch, his home and how he lives.
$Doo-Nanny$ is a part of his life, thats why it was included, not the other way around.
You spammed this board with link to this article time and time again stating it was an article about $Doo-Nanny$ which it isn't, its about Butch.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

The article was more about Butch than $Doo-Nanny$.
As I have stated before, the article was in the Home & Garden section, not the entertainment section.
That means that the NY Times thought the music wasn't nothing, what they found interesting was Butch, his home and how he lives.
$Doo-Nanny$ is a part of his life, thats why it was included, not the other way around.
You spammed this board with link to this article time and time again stating it was an article about $Doo-Nanny$ which it isn't, its about Butch.
Wow...

You just can't stop whining about Doo-Nanny, can you?
The cover charge for Doo-Nanny is ten buck this year, get over it.

--
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_115...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

Discuss more wrote:
Discuss more about the inner world of DOONANNY. Tell us lively tid bits and behind the scenes alternate worlds.
Come on out to Seale Alabama the last weekend in March and see, and be a part of it, yourself!

Only ten dollars for a full weekend of entertainment and adventure.

--
Gone Too Far / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_115...

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2013

The Record Straight wrote:
People. Organize to boycott these
People who are interested should come and participate. Those, like you, who are not interested cand and should stay home.

--

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bibb City Discussions

Search the Bibb City Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr silverfox 50,398
Cell Tower Tree Jul 30 Columbus Insider 1
Crime in Columbus Jul 30 Columbus Insider 3
Murder suspect Vashon Walker gets $500,000 bond Jul 22 JANICE 1
Who has the BEST pizza is Columbus? (Jan '13) Jul 22 Columbus Insider 56
Fifty Years Ago Today, July 22, 1964 Jul 22 Columbus Insider 1
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul 16 what 2,045
•••
•••
•••
Bibb City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Bibb City Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••