Town bans hiring and housing illegal immigrants

Providing housing or jobs to undocumented immigrants has been banned in a southern New Jersey town, according to an ordinance adopted Wednesday night. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
George Swireth

Verona, NJ

#1 Jul 28, 2006
Best thing that has happened in a long time. I am tired of paying taxes for illegals.
John Durango

El Cajon, CA

#2 Jul 29, 2006
Congratulations to this great city council of Riverside, New Jersey on enforcing Federal Laws. We are celebrating way over here in California and throughout the entire nation.
Nathan Thomas Fried

Wilmington, DE

#3 Aug 2, 2006
I graduated from Riverside Highschool in 2003 and now I am in the great city of philadelphia studying to become a PhD in gentic research. I lived in riverside my entire life. Before the brazilians, it was portugese. And I have one single thing to say, They have brought something to our little town that no one ever could. They brought pride. They brought business. They brought life. Life to a town that was loosing it.

Before the brazilians, all that I ever saw in my town park was drugs hanging around the jungle gym. By the time I was in my senior year, the only people I saw in the park were drunken kids. Some were my friends but the majority chased children away from the playgrounds. Once the brazilians came, they started putting up volley ball nets and playing games in the park. Some of my friends with no where to go started learning Capuero, brazilian martial arts. There is even a weekly school to teach english to the brazilians and portuguese to americans!

The Brazilians have taken nothing from this town. They have only come in offering what they have. They have opened stores in the deserted up-town region and have made friends with those whom are willing. These are hard workers from a completly different culture that are just looking for a place to call home. A place I call home is a place that I take care of. It is a place that I make as amazing as possible. That is simply what they are doing with riverside. They are making a new and wonderful home.

We need to work together to stop new illegal immigrants and legalize the ones whom are already here.
james

Old Bridge, NJ

#4 Aug 2, 2006
Illegals aliens are a burden on our system, and it takes away from our hard working citizens and legal immigrants who pay taxes. It also slaps in the face immigrants who have come to our country lawfully. I do hope more towns and states do the same.
Sick of it in Riverside

Clayton, DE

#5 Aug 3, 2006
Nathan why do you think we should legalize the people that came here ILLEGALLY? Why should they be rewarded for being criminals and breaking the law?
mccbill

Layton, UT

#6 Aug 3, 2006
Nathan Thomas Fried wrote:
I graduated from Riverside Highschool in 2003 and now I am in the great city of philadelphia studying to become a PhD in gentic research. I lived in riverside my entire life. Before the brazilians, it was portugese. And I have one single thing to say, They have brought something to our little town that no one ever could. They brought pride. They brought business. They brought life. Life to a town that was loosing it.
Before the brazilians, all that I ever saw in my town park was drugs hanging around the jungle gym. By the time I was in my senior year, the only people I saw in the park were drunken kids. Some were my friends but the majority chased children away from the playgrounds. Once the brazilians came, they started putting up volley ball nets and playing games in the park. Some of my friends with no where to go started learning Capuero, brazilian martial arts. There is even a weekly school to teach english to the brazilians and portuguese to americans!
The Brazilians have taken nothing from this town. They have only come in offering what they have. They have opened stores in the deserted up-town region and have made friends with those whom are willing. These are hard workers from a completly different culture that are just looking for a place to call home. A place I call home is a place that I take care of. It is a place that I make as amazing as possible. That is simply what they are doing with riverside. They are making a new and wonderful home.
We need to work together to stop new illegal immigrants and legalize the ones whom are already here.
Nathan, I am a lifelong resident and graduate of RHS. I am impressed that you are in a PHD program just 3 years after graduating from High School. If indeed you are an intelligent person, you would see the drain on our town. The trash created, Take a ride down bridgeboro St after 2 am Friay Morning (Thursday night) and you will see for yourself the MOUNDS of garbage bags, talk to the men who collect it and ask what the impact is. Talk to a PSE&G meter reader and ask him what he sees inside of some of the houses. Think about the illegal vehicles in town and the consequences of one hitting you or someone in your family. Drugs are a problem everywhere in the U.S., that is in part due to our open borders. Ask one of your grandparents to take a walk over to the Madison Pub (a very upscale tavern) after dark and ask them if they were uncomfortable. If you have a sister or female family member ask her to take a walk right on down Scott street at any time of the day and ask her how many lewd sounds are directed at her. Stay in Philadelphia or just keep your head in the sand.
English-only

United States

#7 Aug 3, 2006
I am soooooo sick of these illegal aliens coming here and taking over. They trash neighborhoods, they close hospitals, they lower test scores in our schools, and they DO increase crime. I've often wondered how much housing we would have in this country if they could all be rounded up and shipped back to Mexico, or wherever they come from.
I applaud those states that are standing strong against the invasion of our country.
lori hetman

Manorville, NY

#8 Aug 4, 2006
Get them OUT of our country. They are ((((INFESTING)))))) our land and destroying our neighborhoods. They litter of towns and don't care. They come here and sponge from our government. It sickens me to see that every Mexican woman is either pregnant or pushing a stroller with a few kids in tow. It also kills me that they don't learn the language of our country. They are a mennice and need to get out. Each one of them should take a canadian goose with them and go back to their country. Is it only a few that see this??
Peace
Sick of it in Riverside

Clayton, DE

#9 Aug 7, 2006
When I walked down Bridgeboro on Friday from Burke to the train station, when I got to the section of the Brazilian stores, it smelled like trash and urine. It was not like that past those stores and not before it. I will never walk that section of the street again. It was so putrid I wanted to vomit.
Cindy

Pennsville, NJ

#10 Aug 7, 2006
GO GO GO RIVERSIDE. Hope they sock it to the residents that permitted the congregation of illegals in the house. Its NOT always the landlord. These "illegals" are like cockroaches scurrying around into houses at night. Hope they clean out the blocks on Kossuth too.
Cindy

Pennsville, NJ

#11 Aug 7, 2006
Funny how NO demand is made on them to learn ENGLISH, but Police Officers, and personnel have to learn their language and provide translators at taxpayers expense. The IRS needs to give these "illegals" a tax number so that they can be employed and OMG " PAY TAXES", until the federal government gets the thumbs out of their ass's.
Patrick

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Aug 15, 2006
I have lived on the border of Riverside for 25 years. I pretty much grew up in the town that now seems to be bringing so much attention to itself, and while I am ashamed of them, I am not suprised. It has always, ever since I remember had a loser mentallity, where it was cool to be the bad one. The hatred most people in Riverside have for the Brazilians is for their own lack of work ethic and family values they have been forced to watch by the Brazilian people.

I know many of the Brazilians and I speak a good deal of their language, so I know how they feel. The business owners are going to be ruined they tell me, and in a town that hasn't had that many stores open since 1966. 40 years of bars, proof being the Guiness book record of having the most liquer licenses per 1.5 square miles some time ago. Along with the shafting of a pipeline called a light rail that didn't do sqwat for any economy it runs through, nor eliminate any major traffic burden. In fact, it's the biggest pain in the ass to deal with living in Delran near the tracks, or driving by them.

So get your heads out of your asses and look at places like Newark that embraced the community and now has an entire section of the city with businesses flourishing and people of all races bustling and buying items which creates tax revenue for everybody. Unlike the welfare that has genrally funded the section 8 housing in Riverside with little improvement if any amongst the poor whites and blacks. Remember, some of these Brazilians have to pay rent, food, plus a large fee to get in the country if they came illegally, or legally. It isn't cheap to come and set up in America at the exchange rates for the Rio to the Dollar, but they make it. So stop the hate and go to work Riverside. Buy your own white vans and bust your asses, or shut the hell up.
cyndeelouwho1972

New Brunswick, NJ

#13 Aug 15, 2006
lori hetman wrote:
Get them OUT of our country. They are ((((INFESTING)))))) our land and destroying our neighborhoods. They litter of towns and don't care. They come here and sponge from our government. It sickens me to see that every Mexican woman is either pregnant or pushing a stroller with a few kids in tow. It also kills me that they don't learn the language of our country. They are a mennice and need to get out. Each one of them should take a canadian goose with them and go back to their country. Is it only a few that see this??
Peace
U can thank your politicians! Vote them all out and push for candidates that will do the bidding or OUR communities. The only way to change this is to take back our voting power. Voting for a two party system is like having a dictatorship, we only get to pick the lesser of two evils.
mccbill

Layton, UT

#14 Aug 15, 2006
Patrick wrote:
I have lived on the border of Riverside for 25 years. I pretty much grew up in the town that now seems to be bringing so much attention to itself, and while I am ashamed of them, I am not suprised. It has always, ever since I remember had a loser mentallity, where it was cool to be the bad one. The hatred most people in Riverside have for the Brazilians is for their own lack of work ethic and family values they have been forced to watch by the Brazilian people.
I know many of the Brazilians and I speak a good deal of their language, so I know how they feel. The business owners are going to be ruined they tell me, and in a town that hasn't had that many stores open since 1966. 40 years of bars, proof being the Guiness book record of having the most liquer licenses per 1.5 square miles some time ago. Along with the shafting of a pipeline called a light rail that didn't do sqwat for any economy it runs through, nor eliminate any major traffic burden. In fact, it's the biggest pain in the ass to deal with living in Delran near the tracks, or driving by them.
So get your heads out of your asses and look at places like Newark that embraced the community and now has an entire section of the city with businesses flourishing and people of all races bustling and buying items which creates tax revenue for everybody. Unlike the welfare that has genrally funded the section 8 housing in Riverside with little improvement if any amongst the poor whites and blacks. Remember, some of these Brazilians have to pay rent, food, plus a large fee to get in the country if they came illegally, or legally. It isn't cheap to come and set up in America at the exchange rates for the Rio to the Dollar, but they make it. So stop the hate and go to work Riverside. Buy your own white vans and bust your asses, or shut the hell up.
<P>
OK, let's be like newark<BR>NEWARK has 5741 crimes per year per 100,000 people, national average is 3983<BR>1024 are violent crimes including 30 muders and 26 rapes national averages are 466 violent with 6 murders and 32 rapes. <BR>now these are 2004 stats, so they are probably on the low side. If you do indeed live in delran and support the brazilian ILLEGAL population, then ask them all to move into Hunter's glen, they would fit right in with the rest of the scumbags there. As far as work ethic and family values, what makes you qualified to make a judgement like that about anyone. You need to rethink some of your statements, remember Delran has twice the number of rental units that Riverside has, so it would be logical to think that the section 8 funded housing would follow (look at hunter's glen, how many section 8 rentals are in that hole?)
Patrick

Philadelphia, PA

#15 Aug 15, 2006
They hoped this old town would be rediscovered someday. That new life would course through the tired streets, revive the aging storefronts, fill the burnt-out, boarded-up buildings.

And when they learned that a new light-rail line was coming - the first passenger service in 40 years - their hope soared. Mark our words, community leaders said, the train will bring people back.

In their dreams, this blue-collar burg on the Delaware's banks, a place the booming suburbs drained long ago, would be bypassed no longer. The town once called Progress would prosper yet again.

First, the developers would come. Then the young professionals and empty nesters, filing into new lofts and townhouses and restoring the lonely downtown to a vibrant business district.

Tiny Riverside, Burlington County - a destination. That's what they wanted.

And they got their wish. People are coming.

They're just not the ones anyone here was expecting.

They're immigrants from Brazil. And over the last five years, as many as 5,000 of them have flooded in and around Riverside's 1.5 square miles, catching off guard the town and its 8,000 souls.

Most of the newcomers are young men and have come here illegally to take jobs as carpenters. Many of the pioneers came on tourist visas and stayed. The most recent arrivals sneaked across the Mexican border.

In early-morning darkness, they camp on doorsteps with their lunch coolers, waiting for vans to take them to the latest construction frontier. At dusk, they return, trudging into rented dwellings next to the siding-clad homes their neighbors decorate with American flags. Downtown, they gather outside multiservice shops, entering to wire money home, peruse products with labels in Portuguese, banter with clerks who speak nothing but.

Their arrival, in such large numbers over such a short period, has engendered mixed feelings. Community leaders, who have been waiting years for a rebirth, are thrilled with the shops and restaurants that have sprung up, run by and for Brazilians. But the influx of so many people who don't speak the language and don't share the culture has also left residents reeling.

"They're everywhere. There's more of them than there are of us," lifelong resident Carolyn Chamberlain exclaims from behind the counter at Riverside News Agency. "Brazilians are taking over this whole town."

This town and others. Brazilians have become one of the fastest-growing groups of illegal immigrants to the United States. Farmhands and accountants, clerks and lawyers, they have been coming - as did generations of dreamers before them - for a decent wage and a better life.

And, as town leaders hoped it would, word has traveled - not to striving professionals working in New York and Philadelphia, but to struggling families in faraway states named Minas Gerais, Goias, and Rondonia - that little Riverside, New Jersey, is a good place to land.
Patrick

Philadelphia, PA

#16 Aug 15, 2006
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/speci...

Read the rest of the article here.
Lsn2me

Lawrence, KS

#17 Dec 13, 2006
I work for the IRS and I can tell you that large numbers of immigrants do pay taxes. In fact when they do they are not give the Marriage Deduction or the Child tax credit. I can't get into details about why, but they do get certain numbers which denote if they are immigrants, we know when we see the number. They pay an increased tax rate so it almost seems like a disincentive for them to pay tax. They are not allowed to take the Earned Income Credit either. Please never cheat on your taxes, we can find you and have records of every single stock you own, and have ever owned not to mention every address you have ever lived at. It is kind of scary how much and how detailed the information the government has on Legal citizens and Illegal immigrants. The most fraud I have seen is from small business owners who use the EIC to pay their taxes. I evaluated about 80K returns from immigrants last year. They really get screwed when they try to pay taxes. You would be upset if you had to pay their tax rates.
Scott

Vista, CA

#18 Jan 4, 2007
AMNESTY FOR ALL CRIMINALS! WHY NOT? BUSH, KENNEDY and McCAIN SHOULD ALL BE GIVEN THE BENEDICT ARNOLD AWARD! THIS COUNTRY IS BEING SCREWED! COMPRENDE?
contessa

AOL

#19 Jan 26, 2007
It's abouttime that local elected officials do the job the federal government refuses to do, that is put the safety, health and welfare of U.S. citizens (you know the ones that voted and put you in office?)and legal residents above those of illegal aliens, foreign governments, professional illegal alien advocates and all the profiteers of illegal immigration (inlcuding unions, churches, landlords, etc.). Si se puede.... build the fence! Si se puede...enforce the law!
italianpride

Auburn Hills, MI

#20 Feb 13, 2007
I think some people lack education and should do some research before talking about illegal immigration. Unless you are a freaking indian you should not talk about illegals because your just one of them now if you really love your country stop talking trash and get to work where you spend the whole day sitting on your ass all day for the huge bucks you make and leave those dishwashers and cleaning people break their backs for their honest money in peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beverly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
W'boro man arrested after police chase Sat Th Man 1
Former W'boro track star murdered Nov 17 The Man 1
W'boro house shot up Nov 17 Crack Corn 4
Who do you support for U.S. House in New Jersey... (Oct '10) Nov 16 Eddie Dobz 17
what happened to willingboro ???????????? (Jul '07) Nov 13 Efegirl 845
ANOTHER elderly woman mugged by a W'boro resident! Nov 8 The Man 1
Burlington Twp hang outs and memorable places (... (Jun '08) Nov 7 ron 140

Beverly News Video

Beverly Dating
Find my Match

Beverly People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Beverly News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Beverly

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:39 pm PST