Some L.A. freeway carpool lanes will become toll lanes

Full story: Daily Breeze 82
More than 60 miles of Southland carpool lanes on three freeways will be converted into toll lanes under a contract signed today by federal and local officials, according to the U.S Transportation Department. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Ridiculous

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#1 Dec 11, 2008
So, what happened to the effort of encouraging people to buy hybrids and low emission vehicles? I doubt those of us who invested in these cars and got the stickers will pay extra money to now drive in the car pool lanes. About the only benefit I see in this is that there won't be the delivery trucks and gardener trucks clogging the HOV lanes going 55 mph. Other than that, it is ridiculous.
Bad Move

Carson, CA

#2 Dec 11, 2008
So it's better to have a bunch of solo drivers in their Benz' coming from PV to L.A. than encouraging 5 people to ride in a sedan to the Dodger game?
Break The Law

West Covina, CA

#3 Dec 11, 2008
Don't pay it everyone. Let them throw us all in jail first. This is where the line gets drawn in the sand. A massive revolt shall commence.
Bad Idea

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Dec 11, 2008
Now the regular lanes will be even more crowded...this won't help the fwys... just the pocketbooks of the greedy!
Freeway Toll Revolt

West Covina, CA

#5 Dec 11, 2008
This is enough. I thought Measure R would take care of all the transportation improvements. What do you think of tolls on existing freeways that have already been paid for with bonds 40 years ago?

We need to revolt as a group of citizens and just ignore the law. The media generated by not paying all these traffic tickets will garner world attention and give us the spotlight our local leaders have failed to bring us. We should not stand by idle this time.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/pasadena-ca/T ...

Some L.A. freeway carpool lanes will become toll lanes
From news services
Posted: 12/11/2008 05:38:37 PM PST

LOS ANGELES - More than 60 miles of Southland carpool lanes on three freeways will be converted into toll lanes under a contract signed today by federal and local officials, according to the U.S Transportation Department.

Under the contract, involving Caltrans and the MTA, the federal Transportation Department will provide $210 million to pay for new toll collection equipment, said federal Transportation Secretary Mary E. Peters.

When the project is complete, motorists will have to pay a toll to use what are now High Occupancy Vehicle, or carpool lanes, on 28 miles of the San Bernardino (10) Freeway from Union Station east to the San Gabriel (605) Freeway; and 33 miles of the Harbor (110) Freeway carpool lanes from Adams Boulevard to 182nd Street.

A second phase will convert carpool lanes between Pasadena and Irwindale on the Foothill (210) Freeway into what are being called HOT, or high occupancy toll lanes.

"Los Angeles' willingness to try something new will mean less traffic, better transit and a cleaner environment," Peters said in Washington.

The Bush administration has long sought to tie federal transportation aid to local agencies implementing congestion pricing, where tolls are imposed on motorists willing to pay more to bypass slower traffic. Critics call such efforts "Lexus lanes."

One of the three routes marked for conversion was the subject of an earlier experiment, when the San Bernardino Freeway lanes

----------

Advertisement

----------
were opened up to carpools with just two people, instead of three. After traffic immediately jammed up, the minimum limit went back to three.

“Barbaric as Santa!”

Since: Nov 08

Santa Barbara ,Malibu,Torrance

#6 Dec 11, 2008
I agree with so many of these posts! This is a stupid and greedy move by some bonehead government officials (that probably have never driven in LA) to collect more money for things we've already paid for. I say we just fire the idiots that came up with this idea and save money that way. This is going to turn those freeways into he*l**l and those jams will accordian onto other freeways and side streets. Revolt is a great idea! I think I will drive to LA even less now.
I might as well

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#7 Dec 11, 2008
sell my little NGV and buy some big fat gas guzzling SUV so at least I can sit in comfort out in the regular traffic lanes with everyone else. Oh yes, CA likes to put on this image of trying to be green and encouraging efficient vehicles. But, when it comes down to it, looks like the almighty dollar wins out every time. Maybe I should forget the SUV all together and just get out of this stupid state.
Here we go again

Hawaiian Gardens, CA

#10 Dec 11, 2008
This is so wrong and will only increase congestion.
Westside

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Dec 11, 2008
Haha....Daily Dramaqueens in the Breeze.

Go back to your freshman econ class (you went to college, right?). That supply and demand curve. Price is a crucial component. If you want to fly the Thanksgiving weekend it's going to cost more than a Tuesday in February, right? Rush hour is Thanksgiving weekend every day.

Price is a beautiful and crucial controller of a finite resource that has too much demand.

If you need to get to downtown at a certain time and are in a hurry, you can. Otherwise (1) travel at nonpeak (when there is more freeway supply),(2) pay up,(3) don't use the freeway.

LA County is at risk of losing federal funding because its car pool lanes move sooo slowly. Not to mention our state is teetering on bankruptcy.

Oil may be cheap today, but in the long run long commutes hurt us all and should be discouraged.
Westside

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Dec 11, 2008
I might as well wrote:
sell my little NGV and buy some big fat gas guzzling SUV so at least I can sit in comfort out in the regular traffic lanes with everyone else. Oh yes, CA likes to put on this image of trying to be green and encouraging efficient vehicles. But, when it comes down to it, looks like the almighty dollar wins out every time. Maybe I should forget the SUV all together and just get out of this stupid state.
Hey there's more room on the freeway already!
No Toll Road

Whittier, CA

#13 Dec 11, 2008
its true, the rich will use their toll passes and the average Off Duty Police Officer will be stuck in traffic, because our corupt political figures feel that we need to convert regular freeway lanes into Toll Lanes, its gonna make alot of people angry because that is my bloody tax money. what can i do?, time to build better schools in urban areas so that they will be educated and understand what the Political Figures want to do with their tax money.

No Toll Roads Please, the rich will get richer and the middle class american is going into debt. haha
realtor

Redondo Beach, CA

#14 Dec 11, 2008
$210M??
Where does this money come from in today's tight budget environment.
This is obviously some contractors conspiring with CALTRANS and The Transportation Department to waste more of our trax money on projects nobody want but them!!
Join the Revolt!
Finally innovation

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Dec 11, 2008
There is no inalienable right to be able to move across the most densely populated metropolitan area in the United States at 60mph.

I only wish there was political will, like in Europe, to impose further congestion charges.

This is not a toll road, you can drive as slow as you want in the other lanes for free.
Suckers

United States

#16 Dec 11, 2008
I will travel the toll lanes because I can afford it. All the complete idiotic stupid jerks that voted yes for Measure R are going to be paying more in sales taxes and driving slower on the freeways because the HOV lanes will be less traveled. This is government's solution.....stoplights at the 605 to 210 transition ramps and toll lanes. When will the electorate wake up and clean house starting with the public employee unions that protect the jackass government engineers that come up with these absolutely absurd ideas!!!
Hmmmm

Manhattan Beach, CA

#17 Dec 11, 2008
If you stop electing morons, it will get better.
No Toll Road

Whittier, CA

#18 Dec 11, 2008
haha I just got to say that its true that CALTRANS Really can't do anything correctly, just look at the 405 Freeway going towards UCLA from LAX, its taken them 10 years to add two lanes to the freeway, come on, 10 years, thats a long time, the Chiness built the whole Olymipic Building in less then 16 months, haha

Corruption, Corruption, Corruption, and a Lack of Education, haha

No Toll Roads, and Lets Recall California Governor Schfhdjdkf.
Interesting

Los Angeles, CA

#19 Dec 11, 2008
Good god you people are reactionary.

"sell my little NGV and buy some big fat gas guzzling SUV so at least I can sit in comfort out in the regular traffic lanes with everyone else. Oh yes, CA likes to put on this image of trying to be green and encouraging efficient vehicles. But, when it comes down to it, looks like the almighty dollar wins out every time. Maybe I should forget the SUV all together and just get out of this stupid state."

Awww....someone's going to take their toy and go home.

This isn't a new concept to our region -- 91 has had express lanes for quite a while. I use them when I need to come over to Orange County in the mornings. They're great.

The freeways are public goods, yep. So are the telephone lines, sewer systems, buses, etc and you still pay to use those. The puny gas tax does not cover your necessity to slow down traffic by using the freeways at peak AND YOU CAN STILL USE THE FREEWAY FOR FREE.

Grow up, this is not 1950.
HITHUM

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Dec 11, 2008
We the People should be Up in Arms over this, instead of continuiing to act like Sheep !!
This is California, where we pay a-hell of a Gas Tax to pay for our roads & Freeways. This isn't New York or New Jersey where you can charge a Toll on every Road & Bridge we Cross.

With a Joke of a Public Transport Shitsim (System) that Can't get US anywhere, the MTA, Caltrans & the Cities of Greater LA & surrounding Counties are playing with FIRE.
The Dept of Transportation can go to ....(you know where?)

It's Bad Enough that they let them charge US for Fast Track, as well as a whole bunch of other Privatized Freeways.

Perhaps it's time to think about amending the California Costitution, to Banish any Thought any Public Official may ever entertain about Charging me (or anyone else) more Fee$ or Money to get on the Freeway$.

Peace, Love & Respect.
Interesting

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Dec 11, 2008
Stand up

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#22 Dec 11, 2008
Oh, this makes me sad. In addition to paying more sales tax to improve our "infrastructure" we now are going to have toll roads instead of HOV. I feel bad for people in the Harbor area. Not only does not one cent of Measure "R" money go to the harbor but now they are imposing this toll on the 110. The 110 is really the only way to get to and from the harbor and downtown. San Pedro is the red headed step child once more. I wonder what Janice Hahn thinks about this? My guess is she doesn't care or her ambition of being a congresswomen won't allow her to cause a fuss.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beverly Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 55 min Chuck 19,485
Bill Cosby accused by model Janice Dickinson of... Nov 21 Strange World 2
Robert Pattinson gets weird haircut Nov 18 Abrahammock Regions 6
Rihanna Will Host Diamond Ball at The Vineyard ... Nov 17 Sophia Paymen 1
Patty Duke to play twins again on TV Nov 14 Catchers Catch 2
Whitney Houston hologram? Head of estate says y... Nov 13 Waldo Simmons 1
Madonna's clothes from films, wedding auctioned Nov 10 nikkihomeland 1

Beverly Hills News Video

Beverly Hills Dating
Find my Match

Beverly Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Beverly Hills News, Events & Info