Federal judge to issue Proposition 8 ...

Federal judge to issue Proposition 8 decision Wednesday

There are 1973 comments on the blogs.sacbee.com story from Aug 3, 2010, titled Federal judge to issue Proposition 8 decision Wednesday. In it, blogs.sacbee.com reports that:

U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker will issue a decision Wednesday on the constitutional challenge to California's Proposition 8, the ban on same-sex marriage, according to a court announcement today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at blogs.sacbee.com.

“Fly low and avoid the penguins”

Since: Dec 09

Pasadena

#68 Aug 4, 2010
Not a Founding Father wrote:
<quoted text>
No, just asking why "marriage", the union of a man and woman. If the rights were equal but the name was different, would that be an issue? Would "same-sex marriage" be acceptable?
Then why don't you take "sacred union"? And if so, will you allow churches that do perform gay marriages to use that term?
hello

Encinitas, CA

#69 Aug 4, 2010
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Well your 'vote' infringed on my right to marry the guy I love. The constitution has never been used to TAKE AWAY RIGHTS, only to expand rights for minorities that have been wrongly treated as second class citizens. I'm guessing your religious, bc all of you guys seem to be. I'm not asking to get married in a church by a child molesting priest or anything, that is the farthest thing on my mind. I just want to exchange vows and have my love for my partner recognized by the state and federal governments. Did you know that there are over 1,100 rights that I am not allowed bc marriage is only for heterosexuals. How would you feel if that happened for you? Probably pretty pissed I'd guess. So before you 'pass judgment', try to put yourself in the shoes of a minority who doesn't have all the rights, privileges and protections afforded to the majority by the US Constitution.
I'm hoping that this judge and all the judges will remember the words of the the Declartion of Independence
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
Because being married to my partner for the rest of my life will be my pursuit of happiness.
Wow the only thing I say is ignorance for your post. You don't seem to understand your choice in life is just as bad as the molesting priest. YOU TWO ARE EQUAL! God is the one who created marriage so if you want nothing to do with a church then you should be apposed to our beliefs. and Oh by the way the the constitution was based on a The Bible!

Pasadena

#70 Aug 4, 2010
<quoted text>
Not really, you may have missed the part about the same-sex couple not being able to conceive a child without assistance of a third party.
Also, I'm not really arguing, just posing questions and providing another point of view. Actually, I could defend both sides of this issue. It's the discourse that's of interest.
But a moot point. There's a longer history of surrogacy and assisted pregnancy in the straight world and instances in the bible. Also, there are some gay unions that involve children from past unions.
Not a Founding Father

Claremont, CA

#71 Aug 4, 2010
WPArtist wrote:
<quoted text>
But a moot point. There's a longer history of surrogacy and assisted pregnancy in the straight world and instances in the bible. Also, there are some gay unions that involve children from past unions.
Not moot at all, it's fundamental. Let's move away from scripture and tradition for a moment. Please explain how a same-sex couple can produce offspring without surrogacy. Children from prior unions do not count here. Why the use of the word "union"?

I don't recognize the separation of straight and gay (your word "worlds"), we are all one.

Just to be clear, is it your position that only the word "marriage" be used?
kubla hun

Long Beach, CA

#72 Aug 4, 2010
quote from cougar--you are from pollys class and are a news reporter from stanford--------drop down orca effect unto santa cruz easy mic

Pasadena

#73 Aug 4, 2010
<quoted text>
Not moot at all, it's fundamental. Let's move away from scripture and tradition for a moment. Please explain how a same-sex couple can produce offspring without surrogacy. Children from prior unions do not count here. Why the use of the word "union"?
I don't recognize the separation of straight and gay (your word "worlds"), we are all one.
Just to be clear, is it your position that only the word "marriage" be used?
Children and how one aquires them are secondary issues. Acquiring them is available equally to both straights and gays, there is no condition of marriage that requires them.

And my position is that marriage or the word marriage may not be the exclusive domain of one subset of society.
Pat Robbins

United States

#74 Aug 4, 2010
The Marxist no on 8 crowd will Win on this and anything else that serves to divide us all into mere fractions of Americans.
SomeSay

Arcata, CA

#75 Aug 4, 2010
Carlton Banks wrote:
Such bs...one of the greatest things about this country is we can vote on an issue. Now we have all these laws and propositions that are voted on, win, then get overturned in court. There are a lot of laws that not everyone agrees with, but the people have voted, and that should be the end of the story.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought during the 2000 presidential election.
Oscar S

United States

#76 Aug 4, 2010
Is this what they mean when they say we must beware of Leftists who "legislate from the Bench" rather than uphold the rule of law?
SomeSay

Arcata, CA

#77 Aug 4, 2010
doris wrote:
Unfortunately for those who engage in same sex marriage, God, not the judge will have the final say....Read God's definition of marriage sometime--it may surprise you.
Which God, Which Text, Which Version?

Pasadena

#78 Aug 4, 2010
Oscar S wrote:
Is this what they mean when they say we must beware of Leftists who "legislate from the Bench" rather than uphold the rule of law?
I think you're mistaking a mob rule for the rule of law. It still needs to pass the Constitution test.
SomeSay

Arcata, CA

#79 Aug 4, 2010
Sam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't fret about this situation. It is expected that in a lunatic left failed state of disgrace like what remains of Calfiornia neither the rule of law or the expressed will of the people count for anything.
We knew we were committing civic suicide when we allowed the far left of chairman mao crowd, the illegal invaders, and the union owned politicians to run our state into nohtingness.
We own the shame of voting to be less than other Americans. Most believe our families just don't mean as much to us as American families mean to citizens in the proud Aemrican States.
So, how do you explain Iowa? Gay Marriage Exists There (In The Heartland, Gasp!)
From CA

Los Angeles, CA

#80 Aug 4, 2010
Hey all you good Christians of the lips but not the heart:

What did Jesus say about judging or casting stones?

While the gay lifestyle isn't for me, I for one can't deny their right to marry.
John e Dee

Rowland Heights, CA

#81 Aug 4, 2010
Why do we Vote? We passed Prop 187 to stop illegals destroying the State and a Judge over turns it declaring it Unconstiutional. We Vote to NOT allow Gay Marriage (which I support) and a Judge Rules on it , Why do we even Vote on anything, we Dont want Government run Healthcare but it gets crammend down our throats.
John e Dee

Rowland Heights, CA

#82 Aug 4, 2010
I love my Dog but ...................
GSXR

Longmont, CO

#83 Aug 4, 2010
Marry Me wrote:
Illegal aliens have more rights in this country. Tax paying gay adults shoud have the right to legally marry
What is all the fuss about? Gay adults have the right to get married to someone of the opposite sex just like everyone else, they just don't have the right to redefine marriage.
sneaky pete

United States

#84 Aug 4, 2010
John e Dee wrote:
I love my Dog but ..........
OMG LOL

Good luck with that.
One More Time

Sacramento, CA

#85 Aug 4, 2010
Your pursuit of happiness should and can not be limitless no matter how you feel about it. And you already have the right (freedom) to marry. The fact that you decide on a set of abnormal, deviant criteria in selecting a mate does not make it discrimination.

Everyone is equal in that everyone can marry a person of the opposite sex and no one can marry a person of the same sex. What you are really asking for is a NEW right - the right to marry a person of the same sex.

Marriage is between a man and a woman no matter how you want to pervert it. The same way the colon is part of the digestive tract and not a sex organ. Arguing any different is silly.

Pasadena

#86 Aug 4, 2010
One More Time wrote:
Your pursuit of happiness should and can not be limitless no matter how you feel about it. And you already have the right (freedom) to marry. The fact that you decide on a set of abnormal, deviant criteria in selecting a mate does not make it discrimination.
Everyone is equal in that everyone can marry a person of the opposite sex and no one can marry a person of the same sex. What you are really asking for is a NEW right - the right to marry a person of the same sex.
Marriage is between a man and a woman no matter how you want to pervert it. The same way the colon is part of the digestive tract and not a sex organ. Arguing any different is silly.
Last I read, the vagina & penis are part of the digestive system.
One More Time

Sacramento, CA

#87 Aug 4, 2010
I said TRACT, and you must be hanging around with girls very different from the ones I am.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beverly Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
los angeles suxxx 1 hr Well Well 3
Looking at vinyl replacement windows in Los Ang... (Jan '09) 4 hr bev RPV 354
Review: Metrolink's Southern California Regiona... (Dec '16) 5 hr METROLINK VV LINE 45
Review: Fidelity Locksmith Services (Mar '16) 8 hr arlieorse6775 128
Review: Inglewood Lanes Bowling Center 11 hr INGLEWOOD LANES B... 30
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Dave spano 21,017
Medical Errors May Be Third Leading Cause of De... Wed WATCHDOG 1

Beverly Hills Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beverly Hills Mortgages