Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 9,147)

Showing posts 182,921 - 182,940 of199,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
1.) When listing a series of opinions, maybe consider taking the time to list them as bullet points.
Understood. Grazie
2.) So, all of the children born outside of wedlock aren't children? What are they?
They'll still children Big Red. The point is marriage is the means by which society regulates in a way the sexual, potentially procreative, union of men and women. Its not a stand alone means for adult happiness.
Done Now

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Loks like were are getting cvisiurd asiuhfuxhd sjhbud 7ns sufbusd89 snbfugsu bdfndf jusgbud fasbndfugs sifrhg shfbusd I'm sure there will be nop more problems.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Understood. Grazie
<quoted text>
They'll still children Big Red. The point is marriage is the means by which society regulates in a way the sexual, potentially procreative, union of men and women. Its not a stand alone means for adult happiness.
Except that procreation is not a requirement, and there are legal marriages that are not just between men and woman, and there is no regulation of how married couples have sex

Every point is wrong.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I am well aware of that, I did not say it was the cause.
My point was I can easily make the case that Christianity was the cause as they can make any other single thing as the cause, which they consistently do
I don’t for a moment think that is actually the case. But it makes as much sense as what they preach ( which is no sense at all )
You know Christianity is not the cause but you can say it is because he blamed it on the wrong cause too.

Priceless.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Because people can be really opinionated horses asses.
NEXT!
"They are not homophobes. They are not scared. They are just a bunch of a**holes." - Jón Gnarr. Mayor of Reykjavic, Iceland
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Jesus-loves-You_ wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, procreation is the state interest that gets the state involved in marriages.
From U.S. law.
“[T]he first purpose of matrimony, by the laws of nature and society, is procreation.” Baker v. Baker, 13 Cal. 87, 103 (1859).“he procreation of children under the shield and sanction of the law” is one of the “two principal ends of marriage.” Sharon v. Sharon, 75 Cal. 1 (1888)(quoting Stewart on Marriage and Divorce, sec. 103.“Procreation, if not the sole, is at least an important, reason for the existence of the marriage relation.” Davis v. Davis, 106 A. 644, 645 (N.J. Ch. Div. 1919).“The great end of matrimony is ... the procreation of a progeny having a legal title to maintenance by the father.” Laudo v. Laudo, 197 N.Y.S. 396, 397 (App. Div. 1919); Poe v. Gerstein, 517 F.2d 787, 796 (5th Cir. 1975)(“[P]rocreation of offspring could be considered one of the major purposes of marriage....”); Singer v. Hara, 522 P.2d 1187, 1195 (Wash. App. 1974)(“[M]arriage exists as a protected legal institution primarily because of societal values associated with the propagation of the human race.”); Baker v. Nelson, 191 N.W.2d 185, 186 (Minn. 1971), appeal dismissed for want of a substantial federal question, 409 U.S. 810 (1972)(“The institution of marriage as a union of man and woman, uniquely involving the procreation and rearing of children within a family, is as old as the book of Genesis.”); Heup v. Heup, 172 N.W.2d 334, 336 (Wis. 1969)(“Having children is a primary purpose of marriage.”); Zoglio v. Zoglio, 157 A.2d 627, 628 (D.C. App. 1960)(“One of the primary purposes of matrimony is procreation.”); Frost v. Frost, 181 N.Y.S.2d 562, 563 (Supr. Ct. New York Co. 1958)(discussing “one of the primary purposes of marriage, to wit, the procreation of the human species.”); Ramon v. Ramon, 34 N.Y.S. 2d 100, 108 (Fam. Ct. Div. Richmond Co. 1942)(“The procreation of off-spring under the natural law being the object of marriage, its permanency is the foundation of the social order.”); Stegienko v. Stegienko, 295 N.W. 252, 254 (Mich. 1940)(stating that “procreation of children is one of the important ends of matrimony”); Gard v. Gard, 169 N.W. 908, 912 (Mich. 1918)(“It has been said in many of the cases cited that one of the great purposes of marriage is procreation.”); Lyon v. Barney, 132 Ill. App. 45, 50 (1907)(“[T]he procreating of the human species is regarded, at least theoretically, as the primary purpose of marriage ...”); Grover v. Zook, 87 P.638, 639 (Wash. 1906)(“One of the most important functions of wedlock is the procreation of children.”); Adams v. Howerton, 486 F. Supp. 1119, 1124 (C.D. Cal. 1980), aff’d 673 F.2d 1036 (9th Cir. 1982)(observing that a “state has a compelling interest in encouraging and fostering procreation of the race”);
Now quote the case where people were refused a marriage license because they lacked either the intent, or ability to have children.

There are millions of such cases in the US, show me the case where one of them was refused a marriage license.
suzanne henderson

Lincoln, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Jesus-loves-You_ wrote:
<quoted text>Actually once again you are lying.
Are you educated or are you new to this planet?
Here is how it works. Books are written in subject matters and chapters are written to express related ideas.
The book is Leviticus and the chapters are 18 and 20.
Let us look at Leviticus 18. It deals only with sexual sins.
So, if you have a problem with homosexuality being forbidden then you also support incest, bestiality, necrophilia and sex while women are on their periods.
So, the context of homosexuality relates to the laws forbidding incest, bestiality, necrophilia and sex while bleeding.
Think about AIDS and how it relates to blood. It is apparent that if gays followed Leviticus 18, they would be heroes in the gay community.
Thank you Jesus-loves-you for defending God's Word. It is amazing when people say that they are Christian and then they try to remove Scripture. For God's Word is the "SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER". These amazing writings are to show us how to live, how to have God's Love and how to have Salvation through God's Son Jesus so that we can have Eternal Life. I tell people all the time that you cannot deviate God's Holy Word ever. Who are we that can pick and choose what we do not like in Scripture to support our life style? If we start removing Scripture, then there will be nothing left and if everything in Scripture means something else, then we have no Scripture left and then it would be confusion and God said he is NOT the author of confusion. I would warn people that God will not allow you to start taking Scripture out to fit thier lifestyle for they will have to face our Creator someday in the second Resurrection which is the ones who did not ahere to God's Word and did not believe. People that say that they have accepted Christ as their Savior and Lord of their lives, then I would ask them if you Love Christ, OBEY HIS COMMANDMENTS. Some will say that the Word is written in their hearts, that is true, but the Word written in their hearts MUST not go against Christ.

Thank you again for your stand for God Word through His Son Jesus. Praise His Holy Name!!
Done Now

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Then it was said tha the crazys spouting talk of snakes etc would come out asnifj9 s aihfuishi sojfi738hidufh8sn dfuhgs784ehs hje8yh8shf shr8h8ushf sjf8huuiw3ehnfd sifhdys fnhsihf8hxd snhufhudhf sifhisdofj skjhf s98h3hf sdxjhiufh83y dfhfd 8e4y sifh8e48h fish8e8 xihfi993 fhd e8hf 8idy ei8yrf8di d e8yhf8 sdhjf893e fhnusy8e4 shfis9 e9sdhf then the snakes were banished to the hinder world of pagans.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

YUK!YUK!YUK!~Whoop!~Whoop! Ah good times.

Since: Nov 12

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
We may not respond to you anymore because we are not sure what your intent is. We do try, but we feel because all of you seem to have Bibles that you are quoting from, the Holy Spirit is the teacher, so why ask us anyway? That is found in First John 2:27.
I will leave you with something that may help your journey and it has been more than a Blessing to us and that is a book that was a debate in April 1829. The book is "THE EVIDENCES OF CHRISTIANITY" and the debaters were Alexander Campbell the Christian and Robert Owen, the Athiest. It is well worth reading, but you may have to find it on the internet because the last time I tried to buy one, it was not available anymore. This was probably the best debate on Christianity that has ever been. There was a big crowd of people that came to this debate and when it was over, Alexander Campbell had overwhelmingly got the votes in his favor. They had the crowd stand for Alexander Campbell or Robert Owen. For those who believed Alexander Campbell, all stood up, but 3 and those were in favor of Robert Owen. Mr. Campbell was a genius and my husband has used some of the material from this book in many times in our discussions in our Home Bible Studies.
May you find what you are looking for and May the Lord help you find it.
I don't think an old debate in the 1820's about believing in God vs, not believing has ANYTHING to do with my post. If you can't answer and debate here, why do you respond?
Quit a

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Frnkie me boy how heck are you today, I hear you took quit a beating last night.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Now quote the case where people were refused a marriage license because they lacked either the intent, or ability to have children.
There are millions of such cases in the US, show me the case where one of them was refused a marriage license.
That's because procreation is not a requirement for marriage dummy. But is is one of the main reasons marriage exists.
suzanne henderson

Lincoln, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

julianna mungo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bless You! You have captured the very essence of the church of the Sepulchre and the Scriptures. You and We Who Know do not let the shadows overtake you. Bless You. The true believer knows that all others who refrain from complete commitment and who do not bow down to the Lord are indeed the offal in the slaughterhouse of life and they are stench and vile and ghastly and deserving not at all of compassion or mercy for they are cursed because they are not as we are and we are as God has made us, which then means that they who are not as we are as they are made that way by Satan. We cannot tolerate this, He has said unto us; Go Forth and Strike Down All Such Sinners that Ye Shall Know Them. Do unto others before they do unto you, and cleanse the path for the righteous. BLESS YOU.
Thank you so very much for your response. I can't tell you how encouraging your comments are. I have said in this forum even with all the bad language, harrasment & profanity that there is someone out there that needs help because they might be hurting, crying, guilt that they cannot live with, attempting to maybe try suicide and many other reasons that they cannot live with, and with that in mind, my husband and I want to help those people. We do not know all the answers for we are still learning even after 55 years of being in God's Grace, but we do know what is the most important thing in life is having God through His Son Jesus to be there for us for Salvation and help us along in our journey to learn how to have God's Love, learn to live and learn on how to help others.

We are very strong in our faith and when most of this forum thinks that they are attacking me and my husband, actually the most sad thing about this is that they are attacking the Creator of the World, His Son who Sacrificed Himself and Suffered to set us free from our past sins and the Holy Spirit who guides us along the way. We are only here to help someone out there that needs Salvation that can take care of all their problems now and forever.

Thanks so much, for my husband and I really needed to hear from you and others that are on the same path of Serving God through His Son. Praise His Holy Name.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Except that procreation is not a requirement, and there are legal marriages that are not just between men and woman, and there is no regulation of how married couples have sex
Every point is wrong.
What is "wrong"? That courts througouth the last for over 100 years have understood the link between marriage and procreation, long before Big D climbed the mountain and began pontificating from on high?

http://www.volokh.com/posts/1129571505.html
A New Jersey court waxed lyrical on this point:“Lord Penzance has observed that the procreation of children is one of the ends of marriage. I do not hesitate to say that it is the most important object of matrimony, for without it the human race itself would perish from the earth.” Turney v. Avery, 113 A. 710, 710 (N.J. Ch. 1921)

Some evidence on the anthropological point:“Although the details of getting married – who chooses the mates, what are the ceremonies and exchanges, how old are the parties – vary from group to group, the principle of marriage is everywhere embodied in practice.... The unique trait of what is commonly called marriage is social recognition and approval ... of a couple’s engaging in sexual intercourse and bearing and rearing offspring.” Kingsley Davis (ed.), Contemporary Marriage: Comparative Perspectives on a Changing Institution (New York: Russell Sage Foundation)(1985).

"Marriage is a universal social institution, albeit with myriad variations in social and cultural details. A review of the cross-cultural diversity in marital arrangements reveals certain common themes: some degree of mutual obligation between husband and wife, a right of sexual access (often but not necessarily exclusive), an expectation that the relationships will persist (although not necessarily for a lifetime), some cooperative investment in offspring, and some sort of recognition of the status of the couple’s children. The marital alliance is fundamentally a reproductive alliance." Margo Wilson & Martin Daly, Marital Cooperation and Conflict, in Evolutionary Psychology, Public Policy and Personal Decisions 197, 203 (Charles Crawford & Catherine Salmon eds., Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc. 2004)

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

suzanne henderson wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you Jesus-loves-you for defending God's Word. It is amazing when people say that they are Christian and then they try to remove Scripture. For God's Word is the "SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER".
You Can’t Quote Leviticus to Prove God Hates Homosexuality
The apostle Paul taught that we are no longer under the Law. Period.

The verses are Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13. First, Thou shalt not lie with a man, as with a woman: it is abomination. Second, If a man lie with a man, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Let me ask you: Since you believe God's word is the same, do you want gays put to death?

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

We do not live our Christian life by following the Old Testament Law. If we did, then we too might be flying planes into buildings.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Bigot!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Hater!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Hohophobe!

Sacramento, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2013

Judged:

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law by becoming a curse for us. (Galatians 3:13)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 182,921 - 182,940 of199,073
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Beverly Hills Forum right now

Search the Beverly Hills Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
'Hiccup girl' charged with murder in Florida (Oct '10) 59 min nope 1,788
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Samuel 17,713
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 2 hr Activity 15,657
Think You're A Britney Fan, Bitch? Take The Quiz 2 hr Britney Spears 4
Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 5 hr Whittier Lover 1,223
Officials: Famous Griffith Park Mountain Lion S... 5 hr Guest 1
Taylor Swift's Secret Relationship Ends Because... 12 hr Taylor Swift 5
•••
•••

Beverly Hills News Video

•••
Beverly Hills Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Beverly Hills Jobs

•••