Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,191

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183821 Mar 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
If homosexuals wish to marry, enter into a legally recognized union of husband wife, at least in 32 states, that is what they should do.
Seriously, "second class citizens"? So if a gay person marries, of their own free will, some one of the opposite sex, are they a first class, or second class citizen?
Or they can marry in the 10 states and one district ( more to follow ) that has entered the 21st century, or the 17 nations that also recognize them ( and more to follow ), California is on the verge of regaining its rights and freedoms.

In the next couple of months Prop 8 will be struck down quickly followed by DOMA

The wording that is now expected will may almost any challenge to the states that have altered their constitution against equality to swiftly succeed in overturning it.

Not a sure thing yet, but the writing is on the wall, 58% of Americans now support gay marriage, the white house advocate general has been allotted time in the arguments, and the republican leadership is swiftly jumping on the bandwagon.

One would have to be blind to not see where this is going.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#183822 Mar 19, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is bound by your religion or traditions other than the people that choose your region or traditions, they are NOT the law of the land, this is the land of the free, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, orientation or national origin.
Let me guess, the "D" is the letter grade you received in school for reading comprehension. The author of that piece, a gay man, stated he avoided using tradition and religion in forming his stance on same sex marriage.
It isn’t a characterization, the polls show clearly who is opposed and it is mostly upon religious grounds.
Not all who oppose legalizing SSM do so on religious grounds.
Marriage remains marriage, a commitment by a couple to one another, to pledge their lives, their love and fortunes together, to be partners in this life.
Sounds like you're trying to define marriage for everyone else. Marriage remains a legally recognized union of husband and wife. At least in 32 U.S. states, and most societies around the globe. All there other items you mentioned, ARE NOT LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.

Also, polygamy is a valid form of marriage practiced in far more place than SSM, even in this country, albeit without legal recognition. Amazing how you omit that.
That is certainly what my marriage is about, my wife is my partner, not my property, she means much more to me than merely a child bearing appliance.
What your marriage is beyond a legally recognized union of husband and wife, is up to YOU AND YOUR wife. The law does not care if you call her your partner, mother of your children,, honey pie, or shnookems.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#183823 Mar 19, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Or they can marry in the 10 states and one district ( more to follow ) that has entered the 21st century, or the 17 nations that also recognize them ( and more to follow ), California is on the verge of regaining its rights and freedoms.
"Freedom"? So submitting one's personal intimate relationship to government regulation is freedom?

By the way, so when will "freedom" be extended to consensual plural marriages?
In the next couple of months Prop 8 will be struck down quickly followed by DOMA
The wording that is now expected will may almost any challenge to the states that have altered their constitution against equality to swiftly succeed in overturning it.
Those states with constitutional amendments,simply recognized men and women are different, each is one half of the marital relationship. They felt no need to turn a man into a woman, or vice versa.
Not a sure thing yet, but the writing is on the wall, 58% of Americans now support gay marriage, the white house advocate general has been allotted time in the arguments, and the republican leadership is swiftly jumping on the bandwagon.
Yet we still have 32 plus states where the voters have said otherwise. Time will tell.
One would have to be blind to not see where this is going.
It's "going" to further devalue marriage, a process that began long before gay marriage came about, it is the reason why it's legal, and Americans as a whole are not marrying at rates they did just thirty years ago. Who knows SSM might become legal nation wide, and it might not. Plural marriage might become legal, thanks in part to legal SSM. The more the merrier.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183824 Mar 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess, the "D" is the letter grade you received in school for reading comprehension. The author of that piece, a gay man, stated he avoided using tradition and religion in forming his stance on same sex marriage.
<quoted text>
Not all who oppose legalizing SSM do so on religious grounds.
<quoted text>
Sounds like you're trying to define marriage for everyone else. Marriage remains a legally recognized union of husband and wife. At least in 32 U.S. states, and most societies around the globe. All there other items you mentioned, ARE NOT LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.
Also, polygamy is a valid form of marriage practiced in far more place than SSM, even in this country, albeit without legal recognition. Amazing how you omit that.
<quoted text>
What your marriage is beyond a legally recognized union of husband and wife, is up to YOU AND YOUR wife. The law does not care if you call her your partner, mother of your children,, honey pie, or shnookems.
You need to learn to read.. is English your primary language? I said a “majority” of the rapidly diminishing number of people that oppose same sex marriage do so for religious reasons, and that remains a fact regardless of your ignorance of the fact.

No I am for letting each individual person the freedom to define their marriage and taking away the tynary of you personally defining it for everyone else.

and to your last point, no I cannot have you arrested for referring to your wife as your child bearing appliance, but I do pity her.

My wife is my very best friend, my partner, the one person I can be open about anything to, never hide anything from. She knows all my hopes and fears and my shortcomings ( my wife teases me that I have absolutely no tolerance whatsoever for the intolerant ) and my strengths. I hope my children have the same kind of marriage I have... so far they have.... we taught them well.

And by the way they all support Same sex marriage along with a majority of Americans, we taught them very well.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183825 Mar 19, 2013
The argument in the country is starting to change, anyone notice.

Now that 11 states and one district recognize SSM, the argument is now, why are same sex couples treated differently in one state than another, isn’t freedom for all Americans?

Perfect :)

That is now what businesses are asking the federal government, they are saying it is a business imperative that they be able to attract and move the best people for the job from state to state regardless of their orientation, that SSM needs to be recognized nationally.
BanOn

La Puente, CA

#183826 Mar 19, 2013
Where did you get your "BanOn's" ??

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#183827 Mar 19, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to learn to read.. is English your primary language? I said a “majority” of the rapidly diminishing number of people that oppose same sex marriage do so for religious reasons, and that remains a fact regardless of your ignorance of the fact.
My response did not contradict what you wrote, retread it. I do not oppose SSM on religious grounds.
No I am for letting each individual person the freedom to define their marriage and taking away the tynary of you personally defining it for everyone else.
Did you not read what I actually wrote? The state defines marriage. In 32 plush states it is DEFINED AS A LEGALLY RECOGNIZED UNION OF Husband and Wife. How a couple wishes to define it beyond that. Are you suggesting the state is "tyrannical"?
and to your last point, no I cannot have you arrested for referring to your wife as your child bearing appliance, but I do pity her.
This from a man who thinks his wife is interchangeable with another man.
My wife is my very best friend, my partner, the one person I can be open about anything to, never hide anything from. She knows all my hopes and fears and my shortcomings ( my wife teases me that I have absolutely no tolerance whatsoever for the intolerant ) and my strengths. I hope my children have the same kind of marriage I have... so far they have.... we taught them well.
Part of that teaching, is modeling behavior, sons learn from their fathers how a husband should treat his wife, and daughters learn the same. I have taught my daughters as well, as well. Tolerance does not mean we ignore differences.
And by the way they all support Same sex marriage along with a majority of Americans, we taught them very well.
Do they support plural marriage as well, or is that crossing the tolerance line?
2013 repubCrooks

La Puente, CA

#183828 Mar 19, 2013
Once again more SCUM BAG republicans are indicted and will face charges, just like the dirt bag calling himself Nick COnway of thesgvCOG stealing seems to be there only job.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183829 Mar 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
My response did not contradict what you wrote, retread it. I do not oppose SSM on religious grounds.
<quoted text>
Did you not read what I actually wrote? The state defines marriage. In 32 plush states it is DEFINED AS A LEGALLY RECOGNIZED UNION OF Husband and Wife. How a couple wishes to define it beyond that. Are you suggesting the state is "tyrannical"?
<quoted text>
This from a man who thinks his wife is interchangeable with another man.
<quoted text>
Part of that teaching, is modeling behavior, sons learn from their fathers how a husband should treat his wife, and daughters learn the same. I have taught my daughters as well, as well. Tolerance does not mean we ignore differences.
<quoted text>
Do they support plural marriage as well, or is that crossing the tolerance line?
So you claim to be in the minority of the larger minority of people that oppose Same Sex marriage, not something to be congratulated for.

There are 11 states that recognize same sex marriages as well, and one district, soon to be followed by California regaining its freedom.

Yes we modeled our behavior, we were open, and accepting of people different from ourselves, we were inclusive of people of different religions, orientations even politics, our modeling that behavior was instilled our children who are also unafraid of and accepting of people different than themselves.

Ignore... no, accept and welcome, yes. They put love before hate, acceptance before fear, and they cherish the American values of Justice, Freedom and Equality
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183831 Mar 19, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
And he is back to the old religion created playbook against SSM! Wooo Hoooo!

Lost on procreation, lost on gay judges, lost on tradition so it is back to the slippery slope argument’s!

ROFLMAO

Those are the most fun

let’s cut to the chase, I want to hear about your desire to marry your goat.:P

we can talk about Plural when there are enough responsible people campaigning for it, when you have enough signatures on a petition to put it on a ballot, but please take video of your getting the signatures, we want that for You Tube
2013 repubCrooks

La Puente, CA

#183832 Mar 19, 2013
Republicans’ self-analysis: The party of ‘stuffy old men.'
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#183833 Mar 19, 2013
Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
We are not limited to those beliefs held by the founding fathers.
Our freedom of the press is not limited to only ink presses, but has been extended to include the internet.
Freedom expands.
In the history of this country there has been one amendment which sought to curtail freedom. It is also the only amendment we've had to repeal.
Gay marriage is a done deal. Conservatives lost.
Nuggin.

Yes. Your expressed view runs parallel to Christian belief. Those views hold that God created the world perfect, but because man transgressed his law, sin was allowed to creep in. It has been downhill ever since. Can we single out Republicans for imposing their infamous 14th Amendment which overturned the Constitution - thereby allowing tyranny to reign in the land, when the nature of the "anti-White" Republicans only embody the fallen condition of man?

According to the historical record:

" And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." (Genesis 1:31)

"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels," (Revelation 12:7)

"And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven." (Revelation 12:8)

"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." (Revelation 12:9)

"Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" (Genesis 3:1)

"And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:" (Genesis 3:2)

"But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die." (Genesis 3:3)

" And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:" (Genesis 3:4)

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." (Genesis 3:5)

"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat." (Genesis 3:6)

"And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." (Genesis 3:7)

"And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat." (Genesis 3:13)

"Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken." (Genesis 3:23)

"And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." (Genesis 2:23)

"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (Genesis 2:24)

"If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:" (James 2:8)

"But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors." (James 2:9)

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10)

Incidentally, Nuggin. The Defense of marriage Act is an Act of the Congress. It is not an amendment to the Constitution.

Ronald
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183834 Mar 19, 2013
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuggin.
Yes. Your expressed view runs parallel to Christian belief. Those views hold that God created the world perfect, but because man transgressed his law, sin was allowed to creep in. It has been downhill ever since. Can we single out Republicans for imposing their infamous 14th Amendment which overturned the Constitution - thereby allowing tyranny to reign in the land, when the nature of the "anti-White" Republicans only embody the fallen condition of man?
According to the historical record:
" And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day." (Genesis 1:31)
"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels," (Revelation 12:7)
"And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven." (Revelation 12:8)
"And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him." (Revelation 12:9)
"Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?" (Genesis 3:1)
"And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:" (Genesis 3:2)
"But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die." (Genesis 3:3)
" And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:" (Genesis 3:4)
"For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." (Genesis 3:5)
"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat." (Genesis 3:6)
"And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." (Genesis 3:7)
"And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat." (Genesis 3:13)
"Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken." (Genesis 3:23)
"And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." (Genesis 2:23)
"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (Genesis 2:24)
"If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:" (James 2:8)
"But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors." (James 2:9)
"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10)
Incidentally, Nuggin. The Defense of marriage Act is an Act of the Congress. It is not an amendment to the Constitution.
Ronald
and those rules apply to those that choose to follow your religion... and no one else.
2013 repubCrooks

La Puente, CA

#183835 Mar 19, 2013
There really tryinghard to shut down the most interesting thing in the news right now, crooked Republican.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#183836 Mar 19, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
and those rules apply to those that choose to follow your religion... and no one else.
Big D, how's it going these days?

I see you're still up here, making excellent points and making complete sense. Good for you! You certainly have more patiene than I.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#183837 Mar 19, 2013
GoingGoing wrote:
Current U.S. Census data shows that 1,135 of the nation's 3,143 counties are now experiencing "natural decrease," where deaths exceed births.

That's up from roughly 880 U.S. counties, or 1 in 4, since 2009.

This data trend is already apparent in Japan and many European nations.

Now this natural decrease is evident in large swaths of the U.S., much of it in rural areas or sections of the USA.
Correct!

But Muslims are making up the difference!

We should have ZERO Muslim immigration, not a continued open door to potential enemies.

But as a recent Pew study showed, more Muslims is what we are getting. A disturbing major point is that the world’s Muslim population will grow at double the rate of non-Muslims over the next 20 years. Demography is merciless, and history has shown that the higher the proportion of Muslims in a country, the worse the social conflict.

The main page for the Pew report is The Future of the Global Muslim Population, Projections for 2010-2030.

commonpeeps

Monrovia, CA

#183838 Mar 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Another fair-weather friend:
The question of marriage is one that historically has been left to the states....
I believe gay and lesbian couples should have the same rights and responsibilities as all Americans and that civil unions are the best way to achieve this goal...
Hillary Clinton
http://www.politico.com/pdf/PPM42_benhrc.pdf
m Oh yeah, and she's asking for your vote also when she runs for president.Promises promises.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183839 Mar 19, 2013
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D, how's it going these days?
I see you're still up here, making excellent points and making complete sense. Good for you! You certainly have more patiene than I.
It is funny you say that, because I am not known for patience.

Maybe it is just that I get a lot of enjoyment watching the extreme religious right wriggle in their own contradictions.

They have become the center of hate, the center of intolerance, the center of bigotry, everything that they used to oppose when I was younger. The world has grown, and they are shrinking, but they won’t go quietly, and the louder they shout, the more obvious their shortcomings are.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#183840 Mar 19, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D.

Exactly. It is always darkest before the dawn. According to the historical record:

"Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors." (Isaiah 46:8)

"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me," (Isaiah 46:9)

"Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:" (Isaiah 46:10)

"Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.(Revelation 12:12)

"And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child." (Revelation 12:13)

"And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." (Revelation 12:17)

"Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake." (Matthew 24:9)

"And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another." (Matthew 24:10)

"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many." (Matthew 24:11)

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12)

"But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." (Matthew 24:13)

Ronald
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183842 Mar 19, 2013
Ronald wrote:
<quoted text>
Big D.
Exactly. It is always darkest before the dawn. According to the historical record:
"Remember this, and shew yourselves men: bring it again to mind, O ye transgressors." (Isaiah 46:8)
"Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me," (Isaiah 46:9)
"Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:" (Isaiah 46:10)
"Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.(Revelation 12:12)
"And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child." (Revelation 12:13)
"And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ." (Revelation 12:17)
"Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake." (Matthew 24:9)
"And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another." (Matthew 24:10)
"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many." (Matthew 24:11)
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12)
"But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." (Matthew 24:13)
Ronald
You can stop quoting your bible, I have read it, and the Koran, and parts of the Talmud, and much of the Bagividad Ggita and several other religious works

I view all of them about the same, right along with worshipers of a volcano and natives dancing naked around a fire.

The darkness is indeed passing the religious bigotry of the middle ages is finally being swept aside, it is long past time that man put aside his reliance on religion.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beverly Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr True blue 19,387
WARNING ALERT!: Ebola hits NYC: CrossFit Solace... 4 hr ALERT 1
Hollywood is Mutilating Women in the War on Women 5 hr Tnhellbilly69 4
Los Angeles upholstery cleaning and repair (Jun '08) 7 hr Jerry Boggs 4
Boy, Man Found Dead Inside Hemet Home 8 hr Chris 3
LA Earthquake Prediction November 2014 12 hr Rainbows 3
I like Beverly Hills as a NZer Oct 17 Michael K Mair 1

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at October 24 at 2:27PM PDT

Beverly Hills News Video

Beverly Hills Dating
Find my Match

Beverly Hills Jobs

Beverly Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Beverly Hills News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Beverly Hills

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]