Bicyclist hit at intersection of Lincoln and Washington Blvd

Posted in the Beverly Hills Forum

Andrew Worley

Mclean, VA

#1 Jun 8, 2009
This morning, Monday June 8, 2009, a male bicyclist was hit by a mid-size work truck going approximately 50 mph and trying to beat the red light while going southbound on Lincoln Blvd. The bicyclist was crossing the intersection headed westbound on Washington. It appeared the bicyclist assumed the crosswalk singal would next turn to "Walk" and continued into the crosswalk prematurely at a high rate of speed. The truck was accelerating at the time of impact and the bicyclist flew approximately 5-7 ft in the air and 100 ft, from the northern end of the intersection to the southern end. The truck's view of the interstecting bicyclist was impaired due to the high number of cars stopped and waiting in the two left turn lanes. I do not yet know if the cyclist survived but based on my complete eyewitness of the incident, I don't think there's a chance. Did anyone else see the accident? Do you have anything to add, i.e., the status of the bicyclist?
Jody Kennedy

Culver City, CA

#2 Jun 9, 2009
I was in the left turn lane on Lincoln Blvd ~ turning east onto Washington when the accident occurred. Would like to know if the bicyclist survived. I agree with Andrew, from what I saw, not very hopeful that he did.
Erica Brookhart

AOL

#3 Jul 31, 2009
The cyclist is alive and well. His name is Tom Bry and he is currently rehabilitating his leg (the worst injury.) He was wearing a helmet which saved his life. We are happy that he will make a full recovery!
Jody Kennedy

Culver City, CA

#4 Jul 31, 2009
Erica Brookhart wrote:
The cyclist is alive and well. His name is Tom Bry and he is currently rehabilitating his leg (the worst injury.) He was wearing a helmet which saved his life. We are happy that he will make a full recovery!
Erica, Thanks so much for the update. So glad Tom is alive and will recover. I am happily surprised. Have thought of him almost everyday since the accident. Thanks again.
Tom

Orange, CA

#5 Aug 4, 2009
Hello everybody, I am the cyclist who was in the accident on June 8. I know Erica responded to let you know that I survived the accident and that I'm out of the hospital and recovering at home. But I wanted to post and thank you for blogging about my accident. I don't remember anything from the time of impact until being in the ambulance strapped into the gurney. I think I must have been in severe shock, and reading your account of the accident has given me some much needed perspective on just how grievous this accident was.

After reading this account of the accident, and seeing pictures of my bike I feel extremely fortunate to be alive and escape with only the injuries I sustained. I was severely injured, but my brain, spine and internal organs all managed to avoid serious injury and I am so grateful for that.

Thanks again for the posts, and as noted, please be careful out there. If you're going to get on a bicycle, please put on a helmet. It saved my life.
edbeat

Dublin, Ireland

#6 Sep 9, 2009
wow Glad your ok Tom freaky reading these blogs your so lucky to be alive, luv ed, isn't Camille a sweety
xyz

Harbor City, CA

#7 Apr 16, 2013
abc
Chris

Carpinteria, CA

#8 Apr 7, 2014
I was the first person in the left turn lane that morning. I got out, organized someone to direct traffic, call an ambulance ... I have constant nightmares about this event five years later

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beverly Hills Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Smelly twatttt hi... 19,395
Voto Latino: African Americans and Latinos Unit... (Mar '12) 2 hr who cares 944
Photos: Miley Cyrus Posts a Makeup-Free Selfie 5 hr Big mike 6
It is customary for the men to pay 6 hr Real 6
T r a m a d o l & X A N A X and much more 6 hr Quality 1
Seth McFarlane 6 hr Anna 1
Ocean Facing Resturant for Dinner || Near by Sa... 7 hr arfeen 1

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at October 25 at 9:56PM PDT

Beverly Hills News Video

Beverly Hills Dating
Find my Match

Beverly Hills Jobs

Beverly Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Beverly Hills News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Beverly Hills

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]