Animals Lose a Friend

Full story: Daily Breeze

Volunteer Jenni Harvey mourns shelter employee Christina Winzer at memorial at the San Pedro animal shelter.
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Mar 7, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jan

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Christina, God Bless you for your care and concern for the animals. You will be missed.
Crystal S

Ridgecrest, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

God Bless the family and friends of such a kind and beautiful person. Christina will be remembered for all of her hard work and dedication towards loving animals. If only there were more like her, then the world would be a better and more beautiful place. Christina is in heaven now as the angel she has always been.

MER

Since: Dec 07

Torrance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

I don't know this lovely person, but I'm heartbroken for her family and the community's loss.
MRC

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

As I read the article, I kept hoping it wouldn't mention kids left behind. Unfortunately there are, they are young and no dad was mentioned. I pray just like she opened her heart and took care of animals, I pray these kids go to a loving home. This is so sad.
Paul Darrigo

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

This is a very sad day. Christina Winzer's way of being was a inspiration that motivates me through the tough times.
Kelly

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

What an incredible tragedy. I know her reunion at The Bridge with all the animals whose lives she touched must have been truly amazing, because Christina was a truly amazing person.
bozeman

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

anyone know if she had a myspace?
Ayla

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Wow, what an incredible life and tragic loss. I am inspired when I hear stories of self-less people like Christina. I am a mother two boys the same age as Christina's, 5 & 7, and we also reside in Long Beach. It's a shame, we never know when it is our time to go...
Rhonda -HUSKY HAVEN OF LA

Sherman Oaks, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Dear Christina,
We never met in person but we spoke on the phone several times in discussing huskies in need. Your love, compassion and dedication to these animals in need and your committment in doing whatever you could to get them out and to forever homes overwhelmed me. Havana, who is one which you cared about and had several homes in a short period is here with me now and will be forever grateful for your efforts. I am deeply saddened, as well as the animal community at your sudden passing and I will be making a contribution to your children in your memory. I have no answer as to "WHY" and only have solice knowing you were doing God's work and you are in his hands now as you join and are reunited with all you have helped on the other side. God's speed Christina and THANK You for everything you did and all the two and four-legged lives you touched while in your short time down here. With deepest sympathy-,
Animal Lover

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

She was one of the best employees in the Department. She really cared about the people and animals. She will be deeply missed. She used to make these flyers for the hard to adopt animals, and they'd get adopted. What a shame. A true animal hero is gone.
KCR

Upland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

My deepest sympathies to Christina's family and co-worker's. What an amazing woman! My hope is that all of her co-workers/volunteers honor her memory by continuing her work with the same passion she had.
Animal Lover

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Here are some of her emails so people can see how great she was.

"Fredy is a one year old blue and white American Staffie. What a cutie! This guy is full of energy and just loves play. He loves to chase the ball, begs you to join in the fun, and then gently drops the ball ready for toss after toss. Fredy LOVES people and will shower his person w/ hugs and kisses but probably needs to be the only pampered pet as he does npt play well with other dogs. He knows how to sit, stay and heal!! Could Fredy be the one for you???? Please come meet Fredy! He's at Harbor Animal Shelter. ID #A911167. This happy guy is hoping to find a place to call "home" in time for the holidays. He would look great hanging out in your home for the holidays!"

"I would Just like to tell everyone that Rose our sweet
Rottweiler(A904558) was adopted !! And our loving old dog Bonez(A898576) was also
Adopted !! And our sweet cat Pierre Luigi (A905748). And those are the
ones we did posters for , The posters are working!!!!! And on another
great note we had 6 dogs 6 cats and 1 rabbit adopted this weekend !!!!
Yea !!!!!:) Thank you to all who helped in placing these wonderful
creatures !!!! A big thanks to our wonderful Volunteer's who make it
Happen !!!"

"Hello everyone, I just want everyone to know that we are holding off in
sending these guys to Texas. I want to say that I am sooo lucky to
have all you wonderful people try and help me send these guys out. Barney
was adopted Thanks to our Volunteer Diane!! I have some time and a
little space so the urgency is not so big right now. So we are going to try
to place them from here. One dog by the name of Buckwheat was and is
too sick to try and transport him anyway. He is not doing so well health
wise :( Again I want to Thank you to everyone for trying to help me
send these guys. If you sent donations, don't worry I will be returning
them to you. Unless you tell me otherwise :) On another note just
wanted to tell everyone good news!!!! Popcorn was rescued, The little Hit
by Car Chihuahua. So yea for pop corn!! Cassie just got adopted and
china went to a really good home and has a brother now Thanks to our
Volunteer Jessica and Eric!! Buddy was adopted also. Brandy too! Tawny too!
And Suzy was placed like 2 weeks ago. I have been so busy I forgot to
spread a happy note on all our adoptions !! We are having sooo much good
luck and I wanted to give Thanks to all our hard working volunteers
who help the Harbor Shelter place these wonderful babies!!! They do a lot
here for them !! So Thanks to all our adoption rate is up up up and
Euthanasia down down down !!!!

Christina Winzer
LA Animal Services
Harbor Animal Care Center
Volunteer Liaison
New Hope Coordinator"
Animal Lover

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Animals Rule

Compton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

Services for Christina Winzer are
as follows:

Viewing – January 20, 2008 after 5:00 pm
Gate 1
Funeral Services -January 21, 2008 at 3:00
pm Gate 17
Rose Hills Rainbow Chapel
3888 Workman Mill Road
Whittier, Ca
dedicated animal lover

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

I am saddened that animal lovers everywhere have lost this valiant and dedicated, and so young, steward of lost and homelesss animals. We weep with her family, friends and loved ones, as do all the animals her life has touched.

On her way to heaven, I'm sure she'll stop at the Rainbow Bridge at the request of animals who have known and loved her, to be thanked for all her efforts.

Good-Bye Chistina... the world is a sadder and darker place without you and the love, light and grace you shared.

Sorrowfully,

L.J. Mercier,
Jacksonville, Florida
how terribly sad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

What a loss for all who knew this lovely devoted woman. It's a very strange thing about tall people and bad hearts...it happens to basketball players too.

I bet she's helping all of the animals in heaven.
Jen Trem - Cleveland

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

All of the animal angels will take care of her.
What a wonderful soul..
So sorry for your loss.
Alabama

Boaz, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

We are all the way across the country, but I feel as if I knew this wonderful lady. Such wonderful heartfelt things have been said. My thoughts and prayers are with her boys, family and friends. God needed some help in heaven taking care of the critters that have gone on.
MKi

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

They say she lived in Long Beach isn't this the Chritina that lived in Los Alamitos, she lived in apartments that her mother and step father are assistant managers. Her beautiful children will miss her so much and her dog where will the dog go? This is so sad.
Christina

Downey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2008

She sounds like an angel and someday I will meet her. May God be with her family and friends..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Beverly Hills News Video

•••
•••

Beverly Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Beverly Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE