Hope Chapel parishoners sue ex-pastor, church for investment fraud

Full story: Daily Breeze

Also named in the lawsuit, filed this week in Los Angeles Superior Court, is the church itself - the plaintiffs say leaders told them it would be "un-Christian" to sue, among other allegations - and its denominational body, the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel based in Los Angeles.
Comments
1 - 20 of 334 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2014
First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Dan

Hermosa Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2009

Judged:

Hmmm, Rev Turner claims church leadership did not become aware of this scheme until November of 2007 yet this article states an associate pastor was one of the investors. I'm sure this pastor mentioned his investment to someone on staff (maybe even the Sr. Pastor). So, in my mind, based on this fact alone it would seem church leadership would have known about this investment solicitation much earlier than Nov 2007 and were probably very aware what pastor Maffe was doing given the enormous amount of the investment. It sure makes Rev Turner's comments seem untruthful. Rev Turner claims the church wants to resolve this ordeal in a biblical manner but yet doesn't appear to be telling all of the truth. Very sad, very sad indeed.
Judge Dread

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

The lord givith, and the lord taketh away?
What if_

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

So the congregation finally met the Reverend Seemorecash, or was it the Reverend Fleecethchurch? This fleecing happens a lot more often than is reported; isn't GREED one of the Seven Deadly Sins?
Cthulhu

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

He wants to solve it in a biblical fashion? What's keeping him from doing that? Are they out of rocks?
Fleece the Flock

Arcadia, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

The biggest crooks are religious leaders. Using the name of God they collect cash to enrich themselves.

Since: Jun 08

Thailand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

As far as I know it is not "un-Christian" for parishioners to seek court redress when they have been swindled by their pastors. I'm curious as to the scriptural basis for the "un-Christian" assertion from Hope Chapel and its denominational body, the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel based in Los Angeles. Is it conceivable that Hope Chapel and its parent body are just a bunch of thieves?
ChurchGoer

Harbor City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Hope won't give you any money back but think of it this way, you gave with good intentions and will be blessed while they aren't. That's the only positive thing I can tell you.
Also, it isn't "unChristian" to sue or have our issues discussed in court. That's a STUPID thing for the church to say. Of course it is ALWAYS better to try to solve things other ways but sometimes you can't specifically when the criminal fless, spends your money and there is little to do but to sue and get a judgement that will stand for quite a while!
See

Buena Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Can't trust those dang religious people, they are no better than anyone else! Church brain washes people into giving their money away for God...
Open Your Eyes

Buena Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

You can believe in God without going to church and giving your money away.

The churches are a business and businesses make money for profit. Giving your money away at church is making someone rich...
Pierre

Belfort, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

These gullible imbeciles deserved to lose their money. Peoplee always looking for a free lunch
apolitical

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

"Nothing to do with the church?" Yeah, right. This church is notorious for wacko beliefs and absurd attempts at religious conversion (printing false million dollar bills with lame religious messages). Typical.
Rocky

Monterey Park, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

It behoves us (and the police) to look beyond the facade. If there is a hint of corruption among the Church's leaders, problems most likely exists elsewhere within the organization. This is not only a simple theft, but it possibly hints of criminal conspiracy within the Church's administrative and accounting staff. I would sincerely hope that the Church will open its books to members of its congregation. To do otherwise, will always invite suspicion.
What Facts Dan

Corona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Dan wrote:
Hmmm, Rev Turner claims church leadership did not become aware of this scheme until November of 2007 yet this article states an associate pastor was one of the investors. I'm sure this pastor mentioned his investment to someone on staff (maybe even the Sr. Pastor). So, in my mind, based on this fact alone it would seem church leadership would have known about this investment solicitation much earlier than Nov 2007 and were probably very aware what pastor Maffe was doing given the enormous amount of the investment. It sure makes Rev Turner's comments seem untruthful. Rev Turner claims the church wants to resolve this ordeal in a biblical manner but yet doesn't appear to be telling all of the truth. Very sad, very sad indeed.
Wow Dan. You make some strong inferences based on "your mind" alone and completely absent of any "facts" (although you wrongly call it that) and then call Rev Turner's comments "seem untruthful". Very sad. very sad indeed. Especially if you ever met or knew Rev Turner.
RAE

Costa Mesa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

The Flock was Fleeced. The haters in that church must also be kind of stupid as well.
Where in the Bible

Corona, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Stanley Engel wrote:
As far as I know it is not "un-Christian" for parishioners to seek court redress when they have been swindled by their pastors. I'm curious as to the scriptural basis for the "un-Christian" assertion from Hope Chapel and its denominational body, the International Church of the Foursquare Gospel based in Los Angeles. Is it conceivable that Hope Chapel and its parent body are just a bunch of thieves?
Stanley, I am sure you meant well. But perhaps you should read the Bible (at least once).
1Cor6:1-4
1 Corinthians 6
Lawsuits Among Believers
1If any of you has a dispute with another, dare he take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the saints? 2Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, appoint as judges even men of little account in the church!
wilm citizen

Lomita, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Its unfortunate that these people are being so misguided. Every investment has a risk. I would like to refer all those involved to Joshua 1:8 "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night that you may observe to do all that is written in it FOR THEN YOU SHALL PROSPER AND HAVE GOOD SUCCESS."

God is our source of prosperity - "lean not on the arm of flesh."

I implore those suing to please be careful, lawyers are slick, they promise they can do so much for you, but what they don't tell you is you also run the risk of losing your investment in them as it depends on either the other party settling this out of court or left up to a panel of your peers or the judge. There is no guarantee you will win.
get the facts

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

i know the people suing in this case, and this story is so exaggerated it is not even funny...why don't you think the other people are NOT suing? If you knew Rev Turner, you would see that he is a very truthful man.
get the facts

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

apolitical wrote:
"Nothing to do with the church?" Yeah, right. This church is notorious for wacko beliefs and absurd attempts at religious conversion (printing false million dollar bills with lame religious messages). Typical.
you don't know any of these people....i used to live in that area and attended that church. Rev. Turner is an honest man...i also know the people suing and they are not giving all the facts, or at least their lawyer did not....Hope Chapel is the only church i know of that takes care of the poor, feeds the hungry and cares about the Souls of man....the message on those million dollar bills is not a lame religious message. I hope one day you will see the Truth.
Eddie

Northridge, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Can't all donations to a church be considered investment fraud? Theyre just figuring this out now?
Blinded

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2009

Judged:

Someone was a cheet, they found out and tried to cover it up. Don't use "the biblical way" to cover solve it. God gave us state and civil laws to follow. Catch a crook...call the cops...no matter who it may be! What a bunch of WEAK christains. God made us strong!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Beverly Hills Forum right now

Search the Beverly Hills Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
easy jobs from home 2 hr $$$ 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 10 hr Twilight sun 7,851
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 10 hr sheepers 200,341
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 10 hr Facts facts 15,927
A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Jul 23 PEE PEE PETE 4,483
Taylor Swift's Secret Relationship Ends Because... Jul 23 boss hogg 7
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Jul 22 Ronald 2,251
•••
•••

Beverly Hills News Video

•••
•••

Beverly Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Beverly Hills People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE