Childers killed in car wreck

Childers killed in car wreck

There are 12 comments on the Floyd County Times story from Dec 11, 2009, titled Childers killed in car wreck. In it, Floyd County Times reports that:

PIKEVILLE a ' The GOP lost one of its most ardent supporters Wednesday in Velma Childers, when the former Republican National Committeewoman was killed in a car accident in Pikeville.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Floyd County Times.

Pikeville

Macon, GA

#1 Dec 11, 2009
Wat happened to her
daizzy blue

Irvine, KY

#2 Dec 11, 2009
PIKEVILLE – The GOP lost one of its most ardent supporters Wednesday in Velma Childers, when the former Republican National Committeewoman was killed in a car accident in Pikeville.

Childers, who was 79, was driving south on U.S. 23 near the old Mullins school Wednesday evening when a vehicle pulled out in front of her, said Pike County Coroner Russell Roberts.

The accident involved three vehicles. Childers and six others were transported to Pikeville Medical Center, where Childers eventually died from injuries sustained in the wreck.

A close friend to former President George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, Childers served as a Republican National Committeewoman for Kentucky and also on the Kentucky Republican Party’s executive committee for 23 years.

Across the region and, in fact, throughout the nation, Childers was always active in party politics, a trait that was passed along to her son, Masten Childers II.

Masten Childers II is a Lexington lawyer and was once the secretary of state in the Cabinet of Human Resources.

Funeral arrangements were pending as of press time but will be conducted by J.W. Call and Son Funeral Home in Pikeville.
Sterling

Columbus, OH

#3 Dec 14, 2009
daizzy blue wrote:
PIKEVILLE – The GOP lost one of its most ardent supporters Wednesday in Velma Childers, when the former Republican National Committeewoman was killed in a car accident in Pikeville.
Childers, who was 79, was driving south on U.S. 23 near the old Mullins school Wednesday evening when a vehicle pulled out in front of her, said Pike County Coroner Russell Roberts.
The accident involved three vehicles. Childers and six others were transported to Pikeville Medical Center, where Childers eventually died from injuries sustained in the wreck.
A close friend to former President George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, Childers served as a Republican National Committeewoman for Kentucky and also on the Kentucky Republican Party’s executive committee for 23 years.
Across the region and, in fact, throughout the nation, Childers was always active in party politics, a trait that was passed along to her son, Masten Childers II.
Masten Childers II is a Lexington lawyer and was once the secretary of state in the Cabinet of Human Resources.
Funeral arrangements were pending as of press time but will be conducted by J.W. Call and Son Funeral Home in Pikeville.
A woman of class and taste.
Deepest Sympathies

Phelps, KY

#4 Dec 16, 2009
Such a tragic end for such a distinguished lady...Rest In Peace Mrs Childers...My heartfelt sympathies to her family...
Raised eyebrow

Ransom, KY

#6 Mar 28, 2010
Childers, who was 79

She was 79!!!

ole' mam'ma shouldn't have been driving.

Driver license should be revoked at 70. She probleey had a heart attack that cause the crash. or she couldn't see, or she forgot how to use the break.
really

Thelma, KY

#7 Mar 28, 2010
No, witnesses said that the car pulled out in front of her. Ms. Childers was very aware and capable even though she was 79.
You shouldn't be posting as you cannot even spell. It is brake, like car brake, not break like you break a bone.
SO SAD

Pineville, LA

#8 Mar 28, 2010
wow how can you say stuff like this?? how would you feel if it was your loved one? have some respect!
Floyd County mom of 2

Macon, GA

#9 Mar 28, 2010
Raised eyebrow wrote:
Childers, who was 79
She was 79!!!
ole' mam'ma shouldn't have been driving.
Driver license should be revoked at 70. She probleey had a heart attack that cause the crash. or she couldn't see, or she forgot how to use the break.
all I can say is I hope u never have to experience such a tragedy...and you have to be the biggest jerk off in the county to make such an insensitive statement..
JGC

Rockville, MD

#10 Jul 12, 2012
Raised eyebrow wrote:
Childers, who was 79
She was 79!!!
ole' mam'ma shouldn't have been driving.
Driver license should be revoked at 70. She probleey had a heart attack that cause the crash. or she couldn't see, or she forgot how to use the break.
Velma Childers was my grandmother. As the comments express below, I sincerely hope you never have such a tragic incident occur in your life.
Cat Fish

Red Jacket, WV

#11 Jul 12, 2012
JGC wrote:
<quoted text>
Velma Childers was my grandmother. As the comments express below, I sincerely hope you never have such a tragic incident occur in your life.
People either don't care or are heartless In these auto accidents. the Innocent people are the ones that pay the price with there life or are messed up for the rest of there life. If you do live threw a car wreck your life is never the same. you hurt and when you got to take medication your labeled as a drug head. doctors appointments and pain medication the rest of your life. my wife was in a high speed auto wreck. I started to say accident. when they happen like this one did It's no accident when drugs or a cell phone Is involved In causing these wrecks It's no accident. It's neglect or as the police officer wrote it up as Inattentiveness. these are nice words for stupidity. age of a person Is crazy. people are different. some 90 year old drivers are the safest on the highway. something needs to be done about all these Highway man slaughter. there no money In It. by the time you hire a lawyer and get all your doctor bills your lucky to come brake even. It's pitiful what the Innocent must go threw In these situations. I do hate It for this family. sometimes your better off dead than being butchered up for life. God knows best. the Innocent are truly the guilty until proven Innocent. the pill heads and cell phone drivers are Innocent until proven guilty. good luck with proven that. I can see why someone would go off and kill a hole gang of people. It's one messed up system of justice.
Family

Mount Sterling, KY

#12 Jul 12, 2012
JGC wrote:
<quoted text>
Velma Childers was my grandmother. As the comments express below, I sincerely hope you never have such a tragic incident occur in your life.
I do not know who you are but we are family. Aunt Velma that I called her was my great aunt. Please DO NOT pay any attention to these HEARTLESS PEOPLE that say bad things about your grandmother. She was not only SPECIAL to her family but to EVERYONE WHO REALLY KNEW HER.
suann

Lexington, KY

#13 Nov 13, 2012
SHE WAS MY MOTHER! She was clear and a flawless driving record. F-off you fool w/ the "raised eyebrow". Raise them both and look at yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Betsy Layne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Next 53 min whatever 54
What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... (Jul '14) 1 hr I hate Trump 37,667
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Chalupa Batgirl 167,641
Floyd Cent vs Prestonsburg 3 hr Embarrassed Alumni 56
JK Got Sliced By the Blue Raven 5 hr Politically Correct 24
HRMC administration/management changes 5 hr JAYP 3
Ray Jones for Pike County Judge Executive 7 hr wtf 38

Betsy Layne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Betsy Layne Mortgages