Bethel Park, teachers still talking

Bethel Park, teachers still talking

There are 4 comments on the Business Journal story from Sep 6, 2012, titled Bethel Park, teachers still talking. In it, Business Journal reports that:

Teachers and the Bethel Park School District will continue their negotiations toward a new contract tonight, two years after the last contract ran out.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Business Journal.

concerned

West Mifflin, PA

#1 Sep 8, 2012
It's about time support is given to the teachers. Comments have been made that BP is not as affluent as Peters, Upper St. Clair, etc. Well it seems that Baldwin, Steel Valley and McKeesport value their teachers and their CHILDREN more than BP.
When is the community going to realize the BOARD
should put aside their vendettas and settle this
contract? Isn't three years long enough to go without a contract?
least we forget

West Mifflin, PA

#2 Sep 8, 2012
Get real

Mystic, CT

#3 Sep 9, 2012
As someone that grew up in Bethel Park and went in to education as a result, I realize what a great district it is to grow up in. However, I have also left the "bubble" that is the south hills. What these teachers need to realize is the pay they receive for the low cost of living in the area is a gift. In my 5 years of teaching I've had 3 straight hers of a pay freeze, increased contributions to both my insurance and state pension as well as a pay scale that tops out nowhere near that of any of these schools. These teachers need to take what they can get and be thankful they have a job! And in a state where it's still legal to strike. This whole ordeal is making me happy I moved out the area.
concerned

West Mifflin, PA

#4 Sep 13, 2012
Since you have left the south hills "bubble" and are no longer in the BP school district, you have no idea what the teachers are or not earning, what their benefits are and what they are being offered.Three years without a contract is a pay freeze.Also, you do not know what concessions the teachers have agreed to make.This includes contributions to both insurance plans and pension funds in addition to other issues. I do not profess to know how the state of CT. compensates
its educators nor do I care. My concern as a resident of BP is in the best interest of the education of its children and its dedicated teachers. Like you say you went into the teaching profession with the education you recieved at BP. So it is you that should be thankful. There needs to be a FAIR settlement for ALL parties

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bethel Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama Liberal Reject 1 hr Michelle-s Penis 2
WTAE Weekend News - Appreciation Thread (Dec '13) Sat ned smith 267
Do People Really Cry About 'Stolen Valor'? May 24 Anonymous 43
Black people (Oct '16) May 24 Jammer 22
Peduto (Nov '16) May 23 liberals are racist 13
Looking to get numb May 22 nutty buddy 28
Should PA incease taxes on dividends, capital g... May 22 Overtaxed 5

Bethel Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance