Olson wants Burke to renounce candidate

Full story: NewsTimes.com 69
Democratic first selectman candidate Dave Olson wants his Republican opponent -- incumbent Bob Burke -- to renounce a man running for the school board. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
lilee

United States

#1 Oct 12, 2007
When all else fails,,, cry "racist"... pathetic
Getreal

Boston, MA

#2 Oct 12, 2007
Duff is a self centered jerk, but he has a right to free speech. I think anyone who knows him will not vote for him. Let people dig their own holes instead of whining about it.
localguy

United States

#3 Oct 12, 2007
In years past JR would get his first Daisy BB gun and dad would say "you can only shot cans". Today Grampa Duff gives JR his first AK47 and tells him you can only shot cans thats mexaCANs and portorekCANs. He is selling guns out of his store front operation in Bethel. This is the type of guy you want on your school board. This is the type of leadership you want in Bethel? With all of the gun violence in schools this is sending the wrong messege. Step down Mr. Duff! Bethel is to good for you.
captain obvious

United States

#4 Oct 12, 2007
Oh Mr.Olson!You can't be serious about supporting individuals who openly flought our nation's immigration laws or those who use the Islamic religion as a reason to kill,can you?Certainly you wouldn't be trying to influence ignorant voters with sleazy political tactics,would you?
Concerned

United States

#5 Oct 12, 2007
How can the Bethel Republican Party, ProBethel Party and The Independent Party endorse Mr. Duff for the Bethel Board of Ed. – Do we have to question all their candidates – I guess so.
Timster

Guilford, CT

#6 Oct 12, 2007
Mr. Olson
Is it true you watched the Amos and Andy show on TV when you were a kid?
Tell the truth.....we'll find out if you don't!!!!!!!!
But the real question here is.....
Who would vote for a politically opportunistic jerk like you?
This TYPE of BS must be stopped.
timster

Guilford, CT

#7 Oct 12, 2007
Mr. Olson.......just an FYI
Mr. Duff's website has a link to a company that sells Panama hats!
Please tell us.......what is SOOOOOooooooooooo
Politically Incorrect about that?
Olson......
We await the drivel of your reply with barf bags at the ready!
Little Sam

United States

#8 Oct 12, 2007
Danager Dave Olson Danger the Bethel Republican Spin machine has started it's engines. This will be your fault that Duff is a BIGOT and sells AK47's by the end of the day!
MyrtleBeachBobby

Myrtle Beach, SC

#9 Oct 12, 2007
Is Olson that desperate that he has to resort to name calling? If the US had stringent immigration policies like Mexico, there would be no Mexicans here. Mr. Olson, if you cannot tell the difference between using the absurd to prove a point on illegal immigration and reality, can you even find your way downtown?

It is a sad commentary when local politicians are infected by national DUMBOcratitis - the disease which supports illegal aliens and constitutional rights for terrorists so they can kill Americans at will, while they want to take away from AMERICANS their constitutional right to bear arms for self defense.

Never has the right to bear arms becomes so important for self protection than during this war on terror. Muslim murderers maim and kill innocent men, women and children in their homes, schools and public places.

And you, Mr. Olson are worried about one honorable, military veteran with a long history of public service and a valid federal firearms license??????

Mr. Olson, you should withdraw from this race. Get a life. Actually, get a road map and slink out of town in the middle of the night so nobody notices or misses you.
Concerned

United States

#10 Oct 12, 2007
As usual the Republican have lost sight of the issue – The selection of candidates is paramount to the Town's well being – Gun Dealers do not make good BOE candidates.
Sir Nick

Danbury, CT

#11 Oct 12, 2007
lilee wrote:
Well, when you SEE a racist, cry 'racist', no?
Sir Nick

Danbury, CT

#12 Oct 12, 2007
Timster wrote:
Mr. Olson
Is it true you watched the Amos and Andy show on TV when you were a kid?
Tell the truth.....we'll find out if you don't!!!!!!!!
But the real question here is.....
Who would vote for a politically opportunistic jerk like you?
This TYPE of BS must be stopped.
We are talking Racism and Hatred Today, endorsed by a person RUNNING FOR THE Board of ED!!!! Time for the Voters to decide.
Oscar

Danbury, CT

#13 Oct 12, 2007
Just the mere fact that Bob Burke sees nothing wrong with this guy is the most telling thing of all. Also, how about the fact that he offered his endorsement to this guy and did not ever look at the guy's website (which really does appear to be an official town website).

It's much better for everyone that this is out in the open. If Duff is the 'honorable' veteran that the voters want for the Bd of Ed, that's what we'll get.
Webster

Danbury, CT

#14 Oct 12, 2007
Here is a DIRECT, un-edited quote from the website in question-

"Now too many immigrants come here with demands. They demand to be taught in their own language. They demand special privileges--affirmative action. They demand ethnic studies that glorify their culture."

To whom does this refer? It says "immigrants". Does this refer to his wife from Chile? Says nothing about "illegal". Is affirmative action OK if the the beneficiary is US born? Would that do?
whowhatwhere

Boston, MA

#15 Oct 12, 2007
I just looked at that website, and it says "Breaking the law is not what this country is all about. Being fair and open minded is. The far left will attack anyone who demands that our immigration laws be upheld. " It then goes on to show the severity and one-sided nature of Mexico's laws compared to the lax enforcement of our own. It then quotes statements made by some that appear to be views some Mexican nationals have of the US. Olson then goes on to assail Mr. Duff's lawful business activities.

Can someone on this BLOG please please cite specific racist statements or prove his assertions wrong or unlawful?(I've only just started to look at Mr. Duff's website)

I don't like racism.

I do respect freedom of speech, the right to disagree and the right to engage in lawful business activities.
Pat Buchannan

Danbury, CT

#16 Oct 12, 2007
Sure, he has the right to say what he wants and no one is challenging that. You should know that the ugliest, most vile stuff was removed within the last year, as election time neared. Last year the site quoted false statistics about how 95% of all murders in L.A. are committed by "immigrants" and other such out-and-out lies. There were false "quotes" and bogus "statistics" from the F.B.I.

His comments about "terrorists" were only recently changed from "Muslims" to "Terrorists".

But the main point is how well suited someone of this disposition is for the Bd of Ed. The point is NOT does he have the right to say this stuff. Sure he does. He can believe as he wishes and publish his beliefs as he sees fit.

I read the site, especially his long list of "quotes from Hispanic leaders" and see it as an attempt to engender suspicion and animosity towards Latin American immigrants. Many of these Latinos are here legally, many of whom are US citizens (having been born in Puerto Rico) and many are US citizens having been born in the US of immigrant parents. The site seems to try to make us fear and resent them all.

But he IS entitled to his opinion and to publish them. That I firmly believe and that's what Olson has stated as well.
faceit

Exeter, NH

#17 Oct 12, 2007
lilee wrote:
How about when you can't face the truth cry "political"? Every time someone who doesn't agree with Bob Burke or one of his cronies they are labelled "political". Fact: Bob is endorsed by and endorses a bunch of creeps. Ooh, I'm political!!!
JustME

Danbury, CT

#18 Oct 12, 2007
The fact that Mr. Burke did not qualify Mr. Duff by even visiting his web site says lots of things about Mr. Burke. He said that was the first time he has visited his web site on Thursday. <br> How could Mr. Burke not know about his web site that is all about the town that he works for? <br> Or if he did know about the web site then why would he not visit it to help qualify Mr. Duff? Someone with a very opinionated web site should could be used to shed some light on someone's character. I am all about free speech that is one of the core principals that makes this country so great.
So true

Pearl River, NY

#19 Oct 12, 2007
The whole thinng about immigrants on Mr. Duff's website was taken directly fomr Bill O'Reilly. That alone is enough for me to know he doesn't belong on the BOE or in any other publicly elected position.
whowhatwhere

Boston, MA

#20 Oct 12, 2007
"The site seems to try to make us fear and resent them all."

Does it really do that? Or does it only show some objectionable examples for the reader to think about and consider?

seems it is geared to make us fear and resent those who really are out to "get us", rather than all Latinos or rather than all Muslims" There really are SOME in those communities who are activists... Hugo Chavez and his minions, etc etc.

I really do fear those who actively want to destroy our country.

I do not fear discussion and debate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bethel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Newtown school board greets Sandy Hook skeptics... (May '14) Jan 28 Another photo ano... 17
FIFA Ballon d’Or 2014 awards cheap fifa 15 coins Jan 23 OUW LEE 2
Gov. Malloy Says Widening I-84 in Danbury is Cr... Jan 22 Newtownmark 1
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) Jan 20 Here Is One 12,165
Newtown Music Forum: All You Need Is Love (Dec '12) Jan 18 Musikologist 17
Site gets it for you wholesale (May '09) Jan 7 Connecticut Tippy 3
Review: KRA Field Services LLC (Jan '13) Jan 2 morninglory 5

Bethel News Video

Bethel Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bethel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News