Alcohol sparking crime in Alaska

Law enforcement authorities in Alaska blame bootlegged alcohol as the main accelerant for crime and other social problems in many of the state's rural villages. Full Story
thebobbob

Portland, OR

#1 Oct 13, 2008
Maybe if their Governor spent more time supporting the State Police and less time looking at Russia from her front door, they would have less of a problem.
Lower48er

Pryor, OK

#2 Oct 14, 2008
Hmmm, alot of us down under have been wondering what the "joe sixpacks" in Alaska do in their free time besides hang out with the Gov....
former_bethelite

Winder, GA

#3 Jan 9, 2010
Whitey brought booze to Alaska, along with fatal (to the natives) cold, flu and other diseases. Do some historical research. We killed thousands and thousands as we did the Hawaiians.

The natural native had and still has a very small tolerance to alcohol. A small bit of it will turn him/her into a slurry speaking, dazed eyed, stumbling drunk.

Not the natives fault though...

They went for possibly thousands of years without the influence of alcohol. Alcohol consumption was and is not part of their genetic make up.

They have absolutely no built up, evolutionary defenses against it as the European, Caucasian types have through ages and ages of high consumption rates.

When all the old Kings and Queens and villagers in Europe were having their fall down drunk ass parties, Yupiks and Native Indians in Alaska were surviving nature's extremes without the so called benefit of "Fire Water".

Now, we (white man) routinely arrest, incarcerate and imprison men and woman of the last frontier for something that we initially forced upon them.

What the hell kinda sense does that make?
concerned too

United States

#4 May 3, 2010
I hear what you're saying former-bethelite but people need to be responsible for their own decisions. Sure, everything would be better off if alcohol had never come here, but that doesn't acquit someone of their behavior, right?

I agree that alcohol is a main factor in much of crime that happens here, but blaming it on white people isn't going to remedy the problem. Change needs to happen. Making Bethel a wet town has certainly not helped, and it obvious through town and even more so in villages. The climate in the villages (at least where I live) has changed drastically since last October.

So what needs to happen to bring about change? I don't have the answer to it, but it is time for people to start being responsible for their own choices.
Former Bethelite as well

San Antonio, TX

#6 May 31, 2010
I agree, in the end you/whoever makes the conscious choice to pick up the bottle and drink. Your explanation is similar to that or a drug dealer on a playground giving the students their first hit or heroine or crack.

Everyone tolerates chemicals differently. Not ALL Natives have a poor disposition for alcohol and if they realize they do, protect yourself! Bethel has a great alcohol treatment center and plenty of support. If someone has an alcohol issue and are intoxicated in public that is a problem that needs to be dealt with, by the court. White, black, brown whatever they are they need to be held accountable and not hide behind an excuse from decades ago. Move forward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bethel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moving to bethel ak Dec 2 Moving 1
Is LKSD Prejudice Against African Americans, As... (Sep '10) Nov '14 Unknown 5
Daniel S Sullivan… LIES, LIES and MORE LIES…wan... Oct '14 Worried voter 1
Housing and Roomates in Bethel, Alaska (Feb '13) May '14 depost 4
Is gas really $5.98 a gallon there? (Oct '13) Feb '14 Will Updegrove 2
Bethel Classified Ads (Nov '13) Nov '13 CJT 1
online dating website (Sep '13) Sep '13 Gail Templeton 1
Bethel Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web