3 strikes law gaining support

3 strikes law gaining support

There are 23 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Oct 16, 2008, titled 3 strikes law gaining support. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

The sister of Dr. William Petit, whose wife and two daughters were killed in a Cheshire home invasion, told a City Hall rally Thursday morning that the state needs a true "three strikes and you're out'' law for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hang m High

AOL

#1 Oct 17, 2008
How about three strikes and your hung in the town square!
brooke

East Hartford, CT

#2 Oct 17, 2008
why should they be allowed THREE? Once again,these laws are too lenient.
johnny

Fairfield, CT

#3 Oct 17, 2008
Hang m High wrote:
How about three strikes and your hung in the town square!
Exactly, unless the either of the first two strikes involved a death...then it's straight to the head of the line.

Also, a little more corporal punishment wouldn't be so bad either. You wanna vandalize a school or some business, sonny boy? Ok, then you get 30 lashes at halftime of the homecoming football game. Whipped until, your crying your eyes out, you soil yourself and you vomit from the seering pain. Then everyone will laugh at you. How good would that be??? We don't shame criminals enough. Shame can be a helluva deterrence. A lot of the garbage out there celebrates criminals.
srpaulson

Ledyard, CT

#4 Oct 17, 2008
johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, unless the either of the first two strikes involved a death...then it's straight to the head of the line.
Also, a little more corporal punishment wouldn't be so bad either. You wanna vandalize a school or some business, sonny boy? Ok, then you get 30 lashes at halftime of the homecoming football game. Whipped until, your crying your eyes out, you soil yourself and you vomit from the seering pain. Then everyone will laugh at you. How good would that be??? We don't shame criminals enough. Shame can be a helluva deterrence. A lot of the garbage out there celebrates criminals.
How about Caining?
brooke

East Hartford, CT

#5 Oct 17, 2008
johnny wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, unless the either of the first two strikes involved a death...then it's straight to the head of the line.
Also, a little more corporal punishment wouldn't be so bad either. You wanna vandalize a school or some business, sonny boy? Ok, then you get 30 lashes at halftime of the homecoming football game. Whipped until, your crying your eyes out, you soil yourself and you vomit from the seering pain. Then everyone will laugh at you. How good would that be??? We don't shame criminals enough. Shame can be a helluva deterrence. A lot of the garbage out there celebrates criminals.
Touche`!!!
Mark from Jersey

Raritan, NJ

#6 Oct 17, 2008
Political pandering. We already have so many unused laws on the books. Everyone knows that the Cheshire perps (scum) did not qualify for a three-strikes law anyway.

People need to see why the prosecutors are calling for this law so badly: It DENIES people the RIGHT to a TRIAL.

Charging someone on a trumped-up criminal information happens often as a tactic by prosecutors, because prosecutors here can charge anything: we don't have grand jury in Conn. For example kidnapping (Class A felony) versus unlawful restraint (Class B misdemeanor). The line is thin. Read the statute yourself and see.

An accused faced with a third-strike crime, will ALWAYS PLEA GUILTY TO A LESSER CHARGE TO AVOID LIFE EVEN IF 100% INNOCENT. With LIFE hanging over your head, would you risk trial? It is your constitutional right.

Who knows what a jury will return as a verdict? Especially these days where every response is either "hang 'em" or "cut his balls off", and juries convict because they want to "go home early on a weekend"...
Mark from Jersey

Raritan, NJ

#7 Oct 17, 2008
Hang m High, johnny, srpaulson, brooke, et al.:

You must like Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and Iran with statements supporting corporal punishment, and public displays of death like that. With those traitorous statements, you display your disdain for our Constitution, and our laws.

With jurors like you, I would be disgusted to serve with.

Potentially having a juror like any of you, is why I am against the Three-Strikes law. All you have is BLOODLUST. No respect for JUSTICE.

I'd support the death penalty and three-strikes if this was a perfect world and everyone was guilty, there would be no bias, or political, prosecutorial, or police misconduct.

But guess what? THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN. I will not jeopardize ONE innocent's life or liberty, even if it means letting a HUNDRED guilty getting leniency.
srpaulson

Ledyard, CT

#8 Oct 17, 2008
Mark from Jersey wrote:
Hang m High, johnny, srpaulson, brooke, et al.:
You must like Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and Iran with statements supporting corporal punishment, and public displays of death like that. With those traitorous statements, you display your disdain for our Constitution, and our laws.
With jurors like you, I would be disgusted to serve with.
Potentially having a juror like any of you, is why I am against the Three-Strikes law. All you have is BLOODLUST. No respect for JUSTICE.
I'd support the death penalty and three-strikes if this was a perfect world and everyone was guilty, there would be no bias, or political, prosecutorial, or police misconduct.
But guess what? THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN. I will not jeopardize ONE innocent's life or liberty, even if it means letting a HUNDRED guilty getting leniency.
You must be an attorney or a current guest of the Local, State or Federal prison system. The current result of being convicted of most crimes in America means three meals a day of your choice, cable TV, internet access & training, excellent gym facilities, conjugal visit, you can even earn a law degree on the tax payer and you can even maintain or join the street gang of choice to keep business going.
Your disparaging remarks about those posting here as being "Traitorous" and against the US Constitution is laughable, as you obviously don't believe in Freedom of Speech or Expression.
Many of us do not feel that justice is served these days and there is no real deterrent for these mental defects that walk among us.
You statement reveals that although you claim to support a three strikes law, you also feel that no human will ever be capable of implimenting this law. You need to sh*t or get off the pot on this issue. Good luck with your justice conundrum! By the way, get off your high horse.
softees

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Oct 17, 2008
Willnever happen with Democrats running Hartford. They are soft on crime because the majority of it is caused by black and hispanics. So the jails population would disproportionately skewed by them.

This is why affirmative action is wrong.
Mark from Jersey

Raritan, NJ

#11 Oct 17, 2008
FACT: No cable television in Connecticut's prisons.
FACT: No internet in prisons with few exceptions.
FACT: No gym facilities in prison.
FACT: No conjugal visits in Connecticut's prisons.
FACT: Only basic reading/GED classes in prisons.
FACT: Gangs in Connecticut's prison are on lockdown.

Where do you get these silly ideas?

From what I hear from my C.O.(correctional officer) friends, it is a dangerous, overcrowded hellhole. For the C.O.'s as well as prisoners.

I'm not an attorney and have never been in jail/prison. I pay my taxes and am a law-abiding citizen. However, I'll defend those that are poor, those trampled upon, and those unable to defend themselves. This includes the rights of those accused but not yet convicted. Those trying to get back into society after they served their time. Those with a mental illness who are warehoused in the criminal justice system when all they need is medication and treatment.

I'm not against punishment for those who deserve it. The Cheshire perps (scum) deserve death, and the evidence is overwhelming. I'm against punishment because of a political means, or punishment because it is politically popular. What are we, Communist China? Should we be like those countries whom execute people who are mentally ill or deemed "undesirable", without committing anything short of a heinous crime?

I respect your opinion, and am NOT calling you a traitor personally. I'm sure you're an upstanding citizen.

I'm just trying to get out both sides of the story.
johnny

Fairfield, CT

#12 Oct 17, 2008
"What are we, Communist China?"

Say whatever you want about China, but if you kill someone there on Tuesday, you're hanging on Thursday. And guess what??? Real low murder rate in China. Real low. I have no problem with that. That's the sort speedy justice we're supposed to have under according to our laws, my constitutional-scholar friend.
Robin Hood 2

Asbury Park, NJ

#13 Oct 17, 2008
When Obama is in the house there will be peace and love around. We will all hold hands and sing happy songs.......while my hands dig in your pockets for change!

.....share the wealth!
Demorat

Middlefield, CT

#14 Oct 17, 2008
This is why I want to change my affiliation from Democratic to Independent. I can't stomach their weasle policies any longer, always protecting the bad guys. They give chance after chance to these bastards. In the end their weak policies take the lives of more innocent victims. What's so hard about a Three Strikes Law? The Democrats want prosecutorial discretion, but giving discretion to the court means bad people get off, because politics comes into play, or it's turned into a media circus racial issue. The Democrats have turned into a party of the spineless, more interested in making their inner-city, minority, and liberal constituents happy instead of protecting all the citizens of this state equally. It's absolutely disgraceful!
Mark from Jersey

Raritan, NJ

#15 Oct 17, 2008
johnny wrote:
"That's the sort speedy justice we're supposed to have under according to our laws...
No. The laws say nothing about "speedy justice".

An accused has the right to a "speedy trial". This means, if he is held on phony, fabricated charges, he can quickly clear his name, and not rot in jail.

However, if his case is more complex, and his lawyer needs years to prepare, he can waive that right.

Also preventing your call to "speedy justice" is the right to due process under the law, which means a right to suppress illegal evidence, appeal from trial, and a right to post-conviction relief.

All of these are fundamental constitutional rights that everyone enjoys, and which can NEVER be stripped.

Summary executions are human rights violations that occur in third world hellholes. Most occur for political, and not criminal reasons.

If you're a Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian, you'd get shot in the face for being too LIBERAL :D

Of course in France we'd be all right wing!
Mark from Jersey

Raritan, NJ

#16 Oct 17, 2008
IN CHINA, If you're a Republican, Democrat, or Libertarian, you'd get shot in the face for being too LIBERAL and SUBVERSIVE :D

Fixed that.
Level Play

Bronx, NY

#17 Oct 18, 2008
Why would any American want to implement foreign laws in America???

We have different society than China or Saudi Arabia. It is easy to spout off simple minded solutions to real problems instead of understanding the underlying root causes and addressing them.
Level Play

Bronx, NY

#18 Oct 18, 2008
"We have a different society than China and Saudi Arabia".

Mark,

I agree with you 100%!!
srpaulson

Ledyard, CT

#19 Oct 20, 2008
Mark from Jersey wrote:
FACT: No cable television in Connecticut's prisons.
FACT: No internet in prisons with few exceptions.
FACT: No gym facilities in prison.
FACT: No conjugal visits in Connecticut's prisons.
FACT: Only basic reading/GED classes in prisons.
FACT: Gangs in Connecticut's prison are on lockdown.
Where do you get these silly ideas?
From what I hear from my C.O.(correctional officer) friends, it is a dangerous, overcrowded hellhole. For the C.O.'s as well as prisoners.
I'm not an attorney and have never been in jail/prison. I pay my taxes and am a law-abiding citizen. However, I'll defend those that are poor, those trampled upon, and those unable to defend themselves. This includes the rights of those accused but not yet convicted. Those trying to get back into society after they served their time. Those with a mental illness who are warehoused in the criminal justice system when all they need is medication and treatment.
I'm not against punishment for those who deserve it. The Cheshire perps (scum) deserve death, and the evidence is overwhelming. I'm against punishment because of a political means, or punishment because it is politically popular. What are we, Communist China? Should we be like those countries whom execute people who are mentally ill or deemed "undesirable", without committing anything short of a heinous crime?
I respect your opinion, and am NOT calling you a traitor personally. I'm sure you're an upstanding citizen.
I'm just trying to get out both sides of the story.
You list of "Facts" are anything but. Correction officers will tell you that weight rooms, basketball hoops, televisions, radios and other pleasantries are used as management tool, and they occupy prisoners' time. Many of these facilities not only in CT, but NY and NJ are more like a college campus than a prison. I greatly differ with your view on prison life. Let's just agree to disagree.
r u kidding me

Stamford, CT

#20 Oct 20, 2008
something like this should be 1 and done
Asbestos Head

Girard, OH

#21 Oct 20, 2008
Mark from Jersey wrote:
Political pandering. We already have so many unused laws on the books. Everyone knows that the Cheshire perps (scum) did not qualify for a three-strikes law anyway.
"...
They qualified for over 3 strikes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bethany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to the great Cheshire Football? (Nov '13) Thu Seen it before 3
News One dead in Conn. house fire Aug 26 flaca 1
News Connecticut High School Football - Crosby beate... (Oct '06) Aug 20 Norbert of Norview 2
News Dems endorse Bielik for another term Aug 20 Brainiac of Beaco... 1
News Former city woman found dead in Ansonia (Aug '08) Aug 18 Concerned and cur... 3
Ansonia Jukebox (Jun '12) Aug 6 Musikologist 15
News Teardown Of Terminal B At Bradley Airport Begin... Jul '15 Larry 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bethany Mortgages