Bethany kennel raided, state seizes 150 animals

Full story: NewsTimes.com 22
State officials say animal control officials have raided a Bethany kennel, seizing more than 150 puppies and birds. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bought one

Bristol, CT

#1 Dec 11, 2008
I bought a German Shepard puppy from Boyar about a year ago.The dog is now 16 months old has a sensitive stomach but this is common with German Shepards I know this because I have had many.The dog is extremely smart and affectionate with me my wife and 3 children ages 17,15, and 6 I couldnt ask for a better dog.I really didnt like the living conditions the dogs lived in there but I saw the parents and they did look healthy a little thin but healthy.I hope if there is abuse this will be taken care of by animal control and his lisence is taken away.It is sad to buy a puppy and it becomes sick these dogs are not cheap around a thousand dollars and I think the Labs are that or more he shouls step up and help these people who bought sick dogs and not hide behind his daughter.DO THE RIGHT THING
bought one

Fremont, CA

#2 Dec 11, 2008
I also bought a german shepard puppy almost 2years ago and 2days after I brought him to the vet he went into the hospital with gardia and worms, he was there almost a week at a cost of $1,000.00. I wouldn't return him to boyer because of the conditions of the kennels I did put in a complaint to the animal control in bethany and they went out there and investigated. the puppy is fine now but had to have a lot of training and is on meds for his aggression. He is very smart and can be very loving with those he likes. As far as the aggression goes I later learned that it seems to be one of the traits of boyer dogs. I hope this breeder gets what he deserves to never breed dogs again, he is only in it for the money and not for the love of the animals.
Bought one

Bristol, CT

#3 Dec 11, 2008
Breeders do not love teir animals this is a buisiness for profit and they do not care at all about these dogs only the money.This is everywhere you go It is sad to me the way they treat the animals all i can do and will do is make sure my dog is well taken care of
what a world

New York, NY

#5 Dec 11, 2008
Bought one wrote:
Breeders do not love teir animals this is a buisiness for profit and they do not care at all about these dogs only the money.This is everywhere you go ...
No, this is not true of all breeders at all!
mcla2500

East Weymouth, MA

#8 Dec 11, 2008
bought one wrote:
I also bought a german shepard puppy almost 2years ago and 2days after I brought him to the vet he went into the hospital with gardia and worms, he was there almost a week at a cost of $1,000.00. I wouldn't return him to boyer because of the conditions of the kennels I did put in a complaint to the animal control in bethany and they went out there and investigated. the puppy is fine now but had to have a lot of training and is on meds for his aggression. He is very smart and can be very loving with those he likes. As far as the aggression goes I later learned that it seems to be one of the traits of boyer dogs. I hope this breeder gets what he deserves to never breed dogs again, he is only in it for the money and not for the love of the animals.
I also bought a German Shepherd from Boyar and he was also sick with giardia and worms. He had diarrea for almost a year due to his sensitive stomach. The parents looked good but they seemed very aggressive. I feel that is due to being contained with no attention. The breeder demanded cash and wouldn't accept a check because he said he had problems with some people and had some legal problems. I thought the problems were the bad checks! Come to find out later, the legal problems were from people complaining about sick dogs. I, too, didn't bring back the dog because of the conditions there. Hope this guy gets what he deserves.
Boycott WPCA

Montville, NJ

#9 Dec 11, 2008
mcla2500 wrote:
<quoted text>
I also bought a German Shepherd from Boyar and he was also sick with giardia and worms. He had diarrea for almost a year due to his sensitive stomach. The parents looked good but they seemed very aggressive. I feel that is due to being contained with no attention. The breeder demanded cash and wouldn't accept a check because he said he had problems with some people and had some legal problems. I thought the problems were the bad checks! Come to find out later, the legal problems were from people complaining about sick dogs. I, too, didn't bring back the dog because of the conditions there. Hope this guy gets what he deserves.
You all got what you deserved! Sick dogs. Good for you all!

Do not shop - Adopt!
Don't breed or buy while animals in shelters die!
i also bought one

Wethersfield, CT

#10 Dec 11, 2008
i purchased my puppy 3 months ago i sent my wife
daughter and son to pick out the dog. when they
returned it took the pup a good 3 weeks to warm
up to me i thought this was very odd and wondered
what the pup went through and how she was treated.
we spend a lot of time with her and take her to
puppy class's she is still shy around people and
dogs but she getting alot better we just wonder
what the future will be ?
what a world

New York, NY

#11 Dec 12, 2008
i also bought one, Some dogs are just shy - like people. It was not necessarily anything traumatic.

In any event, with time and patients the pup ought to come out of his/her shell. Just take her out a lot to different places where there are people and other animals.(At first places where the pup can observe from a distance and people won't be "in her/his face".)

Puppy classes are great and you both can learn a lot.

Good luck!

Since: Dec 08

Rutland, VT

#12 Dec 13, 2008
My husband purchased a chocolate lab named Ozzy 7 years ago from Mr. Borarsky. At age 2 Ozzy was diagnosed with Addison's disease. He is required to get a monthly injection of Precorin, which cost $150 a month and he gets a daily pill of Predizone (steroid). Now, this disease is not Congenital (not passed down from parents) so one can argue that its not the breeders fault and dogs get sick.. http://www.addisondogs.com/addisons/whatis.ht...
Okay, we agreed and less then two years ago we went back and purchased a yellow lab named Izzy. We had her less then two months and she was diagnosed with a congenital Liver Shunt. Izzy was very small and we believed she was the runt of the litter however she was actually sick. In talking with other breeders we now believe that Mr. Borarsky knew she was sick (maybe not what she had but knew something was wrong). Her symptoms were not gaining weight, acting blind, walking in circles, and withdrawn. After we spent $3,000 it was determined that she did have a liver shunt. A liver shunt affects the liver and does not allow the liver to function properly. No local hospital would operate on her. We went to Tuffs University in Mass and they offered to do the surgery. If we forgo the surgery she would live less then a year. If we had the surgery she would have a 70% chance of a normal life. On top of the liver problem Izzy was also diagnosed with Mange. Mange (Dogs loose their hair and have bald spot) is another congenital disease passed down from the mother. We had purchased dog insurance when she was born however it does not cover congenital diseases. Our local vet and Tuff’s advised us to contact the breeder. 1) To let him know that he needs to stop breeding the mother because she breeding dogs with a liver shunt and mange and 2) to see if he will help with the vet bills. Mr. Borarsky was extremely stand offish and defensive. Our vet sent a letter stating all the problems and the vet recommend that the mother no longer be breed. According to our knowledge the mother was continuing being bred. After many phone calls Mr. Borarsky did give us a refund. This did not even cover the first vet bill. Mr. Borarsky did tell my husband that we could return Izzy and he would give us another dog or if we ever want another dog he will give us a deal. NO WAY IN HELL!!! Two sick dogs are enough. We can't even go to local vet anymore. 95% of our blood work for both dogs we have to go to Shetland Animal hospital or Tuffs. We now go to Petco for all our shots and I am very distrusting of all vets. Lastly after spending a ton of money, driving four hours to Tuff's on a regular basis, going from vet to vet and testing my husband and I marriage I am happy to report that Izzy and Ozzy our both doing well. Izzy is only 40lbs and is really a very small lab. Most people think she is a puppy because she looks like one. I love both my dogs more then anything however; I would not wish our experience on anyone. We were so stupid to go back to this breeder. I guess God knew that we would not put either dog down. The final ironic thing about this whole mess is when we brought Izzy to see Mr. Borarsky (for him to check her out and give us a refund) Izzy would not go near him. She barked and growled. My husband said he could not believe it. She loves everyone and never barks never mind growls. I guess dogs know more then we think.
http://www.malteseonly.com/shunt2.html
EVERY DOG GETS HIS DAY!!!
Jane and Joe

Montville, NJ

#13 Dec 13, 2008
My yellow Lab wrote:
My husband purchased a chocolate lab named Ozzy 7 years ago from Mr. Borarsky. At age 2 Ozzy was diagnosed with Addison's disease. He is required to get a monthly injection of Precorin, which cost $150 a month and he gets a daily pill of Predizone (steroid). Now, this disease is not Congenital (not passed down from parents) so one can argue that its not the breeders fault and dogs get sick.. http://www.addisondogs.com/addisons/whatis.ht...
Okay, we agreed and less then two years ago we went back and purchased a yellow lab named Izzy. We had her less then two months and she was diagnosed with a congenital Liver Shunt. Izzy was very small and we believed she was the runt of the litter however she was actually sick. In talking with other breeders we now believe that Mr. Borarsky knew she was sick (maybe not what she had but knew something was wrong). Her symptoms were not gaining weight, acting blind, walking in circles, and withdrawn. After we spent $3,000 it was determined that she did have a liver shunt. A liver shunt affects the liver and does not allow the liver to function properly. No local hospital would operate on her. We went to Tuffs University in Mass and they offered to do the surgery. If we forgo the surgery she would live less then a year. If we had the surgery she would have a 70% chance of a normal life. On top of the liver problem Izzy was also diagnosed with Mange. Mange (Dogs loose their hair and have bald spot) is another congenital disease passed down from the mother. We had purchased dog insurance when she was born however it does not cover congenital diseases. Our local vet and Tuff’s advised us to contact the breeder. 1) To let him know that he needs to stop breeding the mother because she breeding dogs with a liver shunt and mange and 2) to see if he will help with the vet bills. Mr. Borarsky was extremely stand offish and defensive. Our vet sent a letter stating all the problems and the vet recommend that the mother no longer be breed. According to our knowledge the mother was continuing being bred. After many phone calls Mr. Borarsky did give us a refund. This did not even cover the first vet bill. Mr. Borarsky did tell my husband that we could return Izzy and he would give us another dog or if we ever want another dog he will give us a deal. NO WAY IN HELL!!! Two sick dogs are enough. We can't even go to local vet anymore. 95% of our blood work for both dogs we have to go to Shetland Animal hospital or Tuffs. We now go to Petco for all our shots and I am very distrusting of all vets. Lastly after spending a ton of money, driving four hours to Tuff's on a regular basis, going from vet to vet and testing my husband and I marriage I am happy to report that Izzy and Ozzy our both doing well. Izzy is only 40lbs and is really a very small lab. Most people think she is a puppy because she looks like one. I love both my dogs more then anything however; I would not wish our experience on anyone. We were so stupid to go back to this breeder. I guess God knew that we would not put either dog down. The final ironic thing about this whole mess is when we brought Izzy to see Mr. Borarsky (for him to check her out and give us a refund) Izzy would not go near him. She barked and growled. My husband said he could not believe it. She loves everyone and never barks never mind growls. I guess dogs know more then we think.
http://www.malteseonly.com/shunt2.html
EVERY DOG GETS HIS DAY!!!
Stupid is an understatement.
I only feel very sorry for the dogs.
People like you, who refuse to adopt from shelters are the ones who keep these disgusting, inhumane breeders in business.
You people who have bought from this monster and other breeders call yourselves an animal lovers? What a joke! You have no idea what it is to be an animal lover.

Since: Dec 08

United States

#14 Dec 14, 2008
I aslo bout a German Shepherd Puppy from him in March. After a few days when i brought her home i brought her to the vet and she had Giardia & worms also...Before i bought her i seen that she had a sensitive stomach with a hernia on it. Later on she has had aggrestion problems and is not house broken yet . She seems to be really aggresive to people . I think he should go out of business and never breed dogs EVER AGAIN !!!

Since: Dec 08

Rutland, VT

#16 Dec 14, 2008
Jane and Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid is an understatement.
I only feel very sorry for the dogs.
People like you, who refuse to adopt from shelters are the ones who keep these disgusting, inhumane breeders in business.
You people who have bought from this monster and other breeders call yourselves an animal lovers? What a joke! You have no idea what it is to be an animal lover.
You are right if I new what I new now I would have gone to the shelter and adopted. I will never buy from a breeder nor pet store again.

Since: Dec 08

United States

#17 Dec 14, 2008
Bought one wrote:
I bought a German Shepard puppy from Boyar about a year ago.The dog is now 16 months old has a sensitive stomach but this is common with German Shepards I know this because I have had many.The dog is extremely smart and affectionate with me my wife and 3 children ages 17,15, and 6 I couldnt ask for a better dog.I really didnt like the living conditions the dogs lived in there but I saw the parents and they did look healthy a little thin but healthy.I hope if there is abuse this will be taken care of by animal control and his lisence is taken away.It is sad to buy a puppy and it becomes sick these dogs are not cheap around a thousand dollars and I think the Labs are that or more he shouls step up and help these people who bought sick dogs and not hide behind his daughter.DO THE RIGHT THING
<i feel the same way about my dog.
what a world

New York, NY

#18 Dec 15, 2008
Jane and Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid is an understatement.
I only feel very sorry for the dogs.
People like you, who refuse to adopt from shelters are the ones who keep these disgusting, inhumane breeders in business.
You people who have bought from this monster and other breeders call yourselves an animal lovers? What a joke! You have no idea what it is to be an animal lover.
So, is this post a demonstration of your love for animals?(I specifically have in mind the homo sapiens variety.)
what a world

New York, NY

#19 Dec 15, 2008
Oh, goodness, gracious! One cannot even get anthropological without the censors stepping in?!?!?!? That was h o m o sapiens, of course.
BLAME PARCHIE

New Haven, CT

#20 Dec 15, 2008
what a world wrote:
Oh, goodness, gracious! One cannot even get anthropological without the censors stepping in?!?!?!? That was h o m o sapiens, of course.
You can thank the creative local racists who've found ways to turn the most innocuous terms into hate speech. Topix is such BS.
Heather

United States

#21 Dec 17, 2008
Does anybody know if there is a number or email to contact someone working on the investigation to let them know about other people who have concerns about this breeder? My husband and I purchased our first dog a black lab from this breeder in 2003. With in one week when he was 21 months old he got sick and died of kidney failure. He was at our local vet and then admitted to an animal hospital. It was a horrible experience but we loved this dog more than anything. If anyone has any information please let me know. Thank you.

Since: Dec 08

Rutland, VT

#22 Dec 19, 2008
Heather wrote:
Does anybody know if there is a number or email to contact someone working on the investigation to let them know about other people who have concerns about this breeder? My husband and I purchased our first dog a black lab from this breeder in 2003. With in one week when he was 21 months old he got sick and died of kidney failure. He was at our local vet and then admitted to an animal hospital. It was a horrible experience but we loved this dog more than anything. If anyone has any information please let me know. Thank you.
I have emailed my horrible experience to Ch 8, New Haven Register and Dept of Agricultural. I have not heard back but I am hoping it reaches the right people.
German Shepherd Owner

Shelton, CT

#23 Jul 31, 2009
I just saw the article on Boyer Kennels,albeit late but nontheless wanted to add my two cents-I purchased my German Shepherd from Boyer in 2002, he just turned 7 in May & I just had to let the readers out there know as much as I feel for their bad experience in purchasing their pets from Boyer that my GS has been absolutely wonderful & healthy. I get compliments on him all the time & asked where i got him from,not only is he very well behaved but he is very friendly & doesnt have a mean bone in his body& i'm happy to report that his health has been great-no problems to date & he turned 7 May 20th. I can take credit for the training i've done w/him but I cant take credit for his good breeding & great tempermant thats to the credit of the breeder.
kate

Jersey City, NJ

#24 Nov 12, 2009
I bought two yellow lab puppies and they are the best dogs i have ever owned. No health conditions or problems.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bethany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you approve of Robert A. Mezzo as Mayor? Mon Ed 1
Home Depot Plaza Dec 7 Husky Fan 1
wana buy my dirty wet pantys? Dec 6 baby amy 1
dirtywet panty sell Dec 6 baby amy 1
Review: Craystone Massage Therapy Dec 2 Sal 1
Bridgeport police to hire cops with hearing aids Dec 1 American Gentlema... 11
heyy Nov 29 baby amy 1
Bethany Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bethany People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bethany News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bethany

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:57 am PST