Single mom needs help with home

There are 20 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Apr 9, 2009, titled Single mom needs help with home. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

A contingent of home improvement professionals is coming together to help a Belmont Road woman with the Valley's version of an extreme home makeover.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Sabrina

Franklin Square, NY

#1 Apr 9, 2009
Every body is feeling the slump economy, but in hart times like this turn to your survival instinct and wait for the storm to pass the best you can. Thing are going to get better soon...

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#2 Apr 9, 2009
"The family had to leave the home in mid-February and has been staying at the Homewood Suites by Hilton on Main Street in Stratford. Homewood Suites gave the family a room free for the first month, and Bethany-based Compassionate Community Services picked up the tab.

But Wednesday Sussan and her children will be homeless, as well as penniless ..."
Sad

Danbury, CT

#3 Apr 9, 2009
My heart goes out to this woman. She was on TV before Christmas, the house was ripped apart, I think snow was coming in, the conditions were absolutely deplorable. Now it's Easter, almost 4 months later, and I can't believe she's still in this predicament. As a blind woman with children who aren't well, she seems like an easy target for shady contractors, I hope they're doing a thorough investigation on this. And it's great to see people coming together to help her, but it's a real shame the Valley's only shelter can't take her. I'd like to know how many of the shelter's current residents are out-of-towners referred from social service agencies in Bridgeport and New Haven? There was a recent article about people from Branford staying there. Come on folks, this was supposed to be for Valley residents, for people like this poor woman, or for people displaced by fire or domestic violence. The least the shelter can do is set aside 50% of its beds for Valley people! Anyway, I wish this woman luck and hope things work out for her family.
scammer

North Branford, CT

#5 Apr 10, 2009
I know this family. Their house has always been nasty!! Now people are listening to her sob story and bailing out someone who beats the system. Great.

Please, take this with a grain of salt. This lady is a scammer
single and childless

Peekskill, NY

#6 Apr 10, 2009
while I think this is great that they are helping, I wish there was more help available if for single and childless people who are struggling. I matter even though I dont have kids
The Other Side of It

Hamden, CT

#7 Apr 10, 2009
Performing home construction without a permit is one of the most common civil crimes going.
Two sides

North Branford, CT

#8 Apr 10, 2009
There are two sides. The family is at fault. Their house was a mess before the work!
Ask the neighbors, friends of children.
This is NOT what it seems to be and a shame they are beating the system.
chance

Budd Lake, NJ

#9 Apr 10, 2009
It is hard times for many Americans. Help, help, help, thats one of the reasons why we are in debt to our ears. She better be happy she was able to get the help she got. Help yourself lady!
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#10 Apr 10, 2009
Sad wrote:
My heart goes out to this woman. She was on TV before Christmas, the house was ripped apart, I think snow was coming in, the conditions were absolutely deplorable. Now it's Easter, almost 4 months later, and I can't believe she's still in this predicament. As a blind woman with children who aren't well, she seems like an easy target for shady contractors, I hope they're doing a thorough investigation on this. And it's great to see people coming together to help her, but it's a real shame the Valley's only shelter can't take her. I'd like to know how many of the shelter's current residents are out-of-towners referred from social service agencies in Bridgeport and New Haven? There was a recent article about people from Branford staying there. Come on folks, this was supposed to be for Valley residents, for people like this poor woman, or for people displaced by fire or domestic violence. The least the shelter can do is set aside 50% of its beds for Valley people! Anyway, I wish this woman luck and hope things work out for her family.
copied from article in paper:
She is legally blind, as are two of her three children. And her oldest son has FG Syndrome, a genetic condition similar to autism.

the woman is legally blind, there's a difference, someone I knew who was "legally blind" was not "blind" and getting a LOT of assistance from the state.. I just wanted to clarify that. By the way, who was paying the contractor to do this work on the house?
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#11 Apr 10, 2009
scammer wrote:
I know this family. Their house has always been nasty!! Now people are listening to her sob story and bailing out someone who beats the system. Great.
I do not know this family but did know someone who was "legally blind", used that excuse for everything under the sun & got it too...guess what? she could detect a piece of lint on the carpet (which I myself didn't even see!)
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#12 Apr 10, 2009
Two sides wrote:
There are two sides. The family is at fault. Their house was a mess before the work!
Ask the neighbors, friends of children.
This is NOT what it seems to be and a shame they are beating the system.
Knowing the person I knew who was "legally blind", I was appalled at what our system gives them at the expense of you got it...good ol taxpayers
Confused

Avon, CT

#13 Apr 10, 2009
If she has been living FREE for 2 months, why hasn't she saved any money? Obviously before February she was getting some type of income. Where is that money now? I wish I could live somewhere for free and save 2 months of household bills, rent, etc.

She's a pathetic scam artist. She's known as one and I can't believe the post wasted their time.
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#14 Apr 10, 2009
Sad wrote:
from article:
She is legally blind, as are two of her three children. And her oldest son has FG Syndrome, a genetic condition similar to autism.,,,,,,,,,

The Woman is "legally blind" not "blind", there is a difference.
I knew someone who was legally blind and used it as a stepping stone for numerous "hand outs"
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#15 Apr 10, 2009
scammer wrote:
I do not know this family, but knew someone who was "legally blind" (mind you, not blind) and you'd be suprised and astonished at how much they got as a result.! By the way, this person was able to see a piece of lint on the carpet that I didn't even see! Go figure!
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#16 Apr 10, 2009
Confused wrote:
If she has been living FREE for 2 months, why hasn't she saved any money? Obviously before February she was getting some type of income. Where is that money now? I wish I could live somewhere for free and save 2 months of household bills, rent, etc.
She's a pathetic scam artist. She's known as one and I can't believe the post wasted their time.
because if she's like this person I knew who was "legally blind", she was ALWAYS out shopping and buying things (and having things) that I couldn't even afford!...if they don't have money in the bank, they don't have the bank statements to show assistance people
Carl

Peekskill, NY

#17 Apr 10, 2009
ZELDA wrote:
<quoted text>from article:
She is legally blind, as are two of her three children. And her oldest son has FG Syndrome, a genetic condition similar to autism.,,,,,,,,,
The Woman is "legally blind" not "blind", there is a difference.
I knew someone who was legally blind and used it as a stepping stone for numerous "hand outs"
Enough Zelda. So you knew someone who was legally blind but not blind. Maybe you'd like to change places with this woman from the Valley so you can get some of those "hand outs". Take care of her children for a week and see how you feel.
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#18 Apr 10, 2009
Carl wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough Zelda. So you knew someone who was legally blind but not blind. Maybe you'd like to change places with this woman from the Valley so you can get some of those "hand outs". Take care of her children for a week and see how you feel.
no, for some reason, dups were made of my postings, only meant to go in ONCE!
and yes, I've had enough already...after hearing and seeing what this "legally blind" person could actually see (as I said, I didn't even see the lint she pointed out to me), it baffles me what we allow people to get away with.
and if you look at some other postings, I'm not the only one who encountered this...
If a person has a legitimate handicap and not just "beating the system", I'm the FIRST to help,(as I've done MANY MANY times)
Have a Nice Easter
ZELDA

Cromwell, CT

#19 Apr 10, 2009
Confused wrote:
can you believe the reply I got from Carl of Bpt?
My so called friend was a known scam artist and he thinks I should be ashamed of my posting...I call a spade a spade...trust me, it sure woke me up to reality
mariannefrfl

Clearwater, FL

#20 Apr 10, 2009
Where is the husband? Why was she having kids if she couldn't care for them?
pwilson

Trumbull, CT

#21 Apr 10, 2009
She's going to be penniless but.....where did she get 70,000 dollars?

I think there's (once again) more to this story.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bethany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Connecticut electrician to appear in 'Shark Tan... 5 hr American Gentlema... 3
Steve Joseph Of Cheshire, CT Sanofi harassment ... (Feb '13) Fri jackofalltrades 11
Review: Video Temptations (Apr '14) Apr 25 sue 17
What is Prospect like? Apr 7 Rae 1
News MySpace In Sex Assault Probe (Feb '06) Apr '15 spen 424
News Obituary: John M. Moffat Sr. Mar '15 Barbara Holycross 1
News State Police Searching For Suspect In Bethany B... Mar '15 Anonymous 1
More from around the web

Bethany People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]