Madison County gets an earful about s...

Madison County gets an earful about smoking at restaurants

There are 27 comments on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch story from Jun 27, 2006, titled Madison County gets an earful about smoking at restaurants. In it, St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that:

COLLINSVILLE The debate over smoking bans shifted to Madison County on Tuesday, with residents making impassioned pleas both for and against a ban on smoking in restaurants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lois Foster

United States

#1 Jun 28, 2006
Two years ago I was diagnosed with asthma. Tobacco smoke has an immediate affect on my ability to breathe. Because of public smoking I can no longer go to many of the functions or places that I used to. I can understand why people who smoke believe their rights are not being considered. What they must try to understand is that what they are doing is harmful to others and no one has a right to purposely harm others. We have laws already in place regarding air polution. Tobacco smoke polutes the air that we all have to breathe, so why wouldn't those laws cover this problem?
Lynda

United States

#2 Jun 29, 2006
Lois Foster wrote:
Two years ago I was diagnosed with asthma. Tobacco smoke has an immediate affect on my ability to breathe. Because of public smoking I can no longer go to many of the functions or places that I used to. I can understand why people who smoke believe their rights are not being considered. What they must try to understand is that what they are doing is harmful to others and no one has a right to purposely harm others. We have laws already in place regarding air polution. Tobacco smoke polutes the air that we all have to breathe, so why wouldn't those laws cover this problem?
They do. Sensitivity to smoke is a separate issue. Which is why everyone agrees (smokers included) that there should be separate bars and restaurants for smokers and non-smokers alike. If the market demands it, then more places would be non-smoking, but there would still be a few places that allow smoking. The bans however, remove THAT option totally by forcing all bars and restaurants to go smoking.

It's not the right to smoke anywhere and everywhere that smokers are fighting for here. We are fighting for a few (note not even the majority just a few) bars and restaurants where we can still socialize AND smoke at the same time.

We are also fighting allowing government to intrude into private property rights, and business, even though they admit the public are not publically owned, they are indeed private and the choice to allow smoking or not should be up to the business owner who has poured his own money and sweat into building his business and client base.

Once we allow government to regulate private property it won't be long before they are in your home.

THAT is what this is really about. We truly don't argue your right to smoke-free entertainment.
Melinda

Saint Louis, MO

#3 Apr 9, 2007
As smokers, we have the right to want our own area to smoke.

I respect non-smokers rights as well. I never smoke if I am sitting next to a non-smoker who doesn't like it. I try to respect everyones views but I will not quit smoking because that is unfair to me...I am an adult and can choose to smoke if I wish.

I can understand restaurants banning smoking...I wouldnt complain to much but at a bar, I don't agree with at all. Non-smokers are there to drink alcohol which too is bad for your body.....but people dont complain about that. If your at a bar drinking alcohol, then your health is already at risk and I am not going to quit smoking. Drunk drivers cause more deaths than second hand smoke.

I have rights as well but do try and be respectful!
Wake up smell the coffee

Greensboro, NC

#4 Apr 9, 2007
Dead set against

United States

#6 Jun 8, 2007
Its about time someone came out against smoking in public restaurants. Second hand smoke is worse than smoking. Nowadays with the medical research its only right not to endanger the lives of other people. If you feel to have a cigarette during a meal whats wrong with stepping outside in a smoking area. Just because your taking your own breathe away doesn't give you the right to take others.
Bill Hannegan

United States

#7 Jun 8, 2007
Wake up smell the coffee wrote:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/previe w/mmwrhtml/mm5307a2.htm
Dear Representative Abbott,

Bars across America are rebelling against smoking bans!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05272007/news/reg...
http://www.topix.com/city/honolulu-hi/2007/02...
http://www.topix.com/content/cbs/330465236137...
http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/20070...
http://www.gazette.com/onset...

The cause of their rebellion is clear. The only peer-reviewed economic study of the effects of smoking bans not derived from data gathered either by public health groups or the bar/restaurant industry, but solely from government employment data, shows the huge detrimental effect smoking bans have on bars. These economists warn that smoking bans could cut bar
jobs in some states 14 percent.
http://www.bepress.com/bejeap/vol7/iss1/art12...
Bill Hannegan

United States

#8 Jun 8, 2007
Melinda wrote:
As smokers, we have the right to want our own area to smoke.
I respect non-smokers rights as well. I never smoke if I am sitting next to a non-smoker who doesn't like it. I try to respect everyones views but I will not quit smoking because that is unfair to me...I am an adult and can choose to smoke if I wish.
I can understand restaurants banning smoking...I wouldnt complain to much but at a bar, I don't agree with at all. Non-smokers are there to drink alcohol which too is bad for your body.....but people dont complain about that. If your at a bar drinking alcohol, then your health is already at risk and I am not going to quit smoking. Drunk drivers cause more deaths than second hand smoke.
I have rights as well but do try and be respectful!
Melinda, please contact me if you want to help keep St. Louis free of a smoking ban:
[email protected]

Since: Jun 07

UK

#9 Jun 9, 2007
Lois Foster wrote:
Tobacco smoke polutes the air that we all have to breathe, so why wouldn't those laws cover this problem?
The problem is that tobacco smoke is such a low grade pollution compared to everything that if OSHA were to set their minimum safe levels to the point where smoking wouldn't be allowed indoors it would decimate the manufacturing industry. Thing like machining and welding would have to be done outdoors as well. It could even force certain types of cooking to become illegal indoors.
I sympathise with smoking irritating your asthma, but it's important to recognise that this is YOUR problem. And whilst I'm all for increasing your choice of non-smoking venues a complete smoking ban, whilst benefitting you will cost other people their jobs or livelihoods.
Does it seem right to force other people out of work because you have an illness?

Since: Jun 07

UK

#10 Jun 9, 2007
Dead set against wrote:
Its about time someone came out against smoking in public restaurants. Second hand smoke is worse than smoking. Nowadays with the medical research its only right not to endanger the lives of other people. If you feel to have a cigarette during a meal whats wrong with stepping outside in a smoking area. Just because your taking your own breathe away doesn't give you the right to take others.
You clearly don't understand rights. No don't have the right to demand smoke free air in somone else's property - you never did and a smoking ban doesn't magically grant you it.
If you don't want to smell smoking during your meal then DON'T GO TO PLACES THAT ALLOW SMOKING. Why is that such a difficult idea for the anti side to wrap their head around. it's a simple agreement, we won't smoke in places that choose to go non smoking if you don't demand everywhere be non-smoking and then EVERYONE has a choice.
Though that's not good enough for people who don't like the idea of freedom and yearn for conformity.
just candid

AOL

#11 Jun 9, 2007
In todays world todays people no longer think of smoking as cool ,not even "Kool". Today most people think of SMOKING as a rather DUMB thing to do.As would be expected this thought about smoking carries over to the people who still smoke.
just candid

AOL

#12 Jun 9, 2007
Some fools still profess the 'right' to befoul the air,to engage in actions which harm others and in general be total boors.Most of them are smokers.
Melinda

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Jun 11, 2007
just candid wrote:
In todays world todays people no longer think of smoking as cool ,not even "Kool". Today most people think of SMOKING as a rather DUMB thing to do.As would be expected this thought about smoking carries over to the people who still smoke.
Let's get this right....I don't smoke to be "cool/kool" this might be one of the dumbest statements on this site! I do it because I choose to and I do not have to defend my reasoning for it at all to you or anyone else. All the non-smokers need to quit your freaking whining and sit in the NON SMOKING section of places. God I am so sick of all of this crap!
Melinda

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Jun 11, 2007
just candid wrote:
Some fools still profess the 'right' to befoul the air,to engage in actions which harm others and in general be total boors.Most of them are smokers.
I believe you are the fool here! You non-smokers think you are high and mighty and can take the smokers rights away....you think you can take MY rights away....I don't agree with you in the least! Go to a non-smoking establishment (they do exist) and quit your bitching already!
Melinda

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Jun 11, 2007
Dead set against wrote:
This is a dumb statement too....second hand smoke is more dangerous than the actual smokers huh...we are the ones smoking all you are doing is getting a whiff of smoke.....the research is flawed!
just candid

AOL

#16 Jun 11, 2007
Melinda wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe you are the fool here! You non-smokers think you are high and mighty and can take the smokers rights away....you think you can take MY rights away....I don't agree with you in the least! Go to a non-smoking establishment (they do exist) and quit your bitching already!
Sorry lady but you smokers have to learn you have no 'right' to befoul others air with your tobacco smoke.Smoke at home or some back ally,not around others.PS pick up your cig.butts ,we don't want them in the ally or on the street either.

Since: Feb 07

Carlisle, PA

#17 Jun 11, 2007
NAZIS were BIGOTS. They spewed INTOLERANCE and HATRED, just like the ANTIS do.

ANTIS = NAZIS

BIGOTRY, INTOLERANCE, & HATRED will only be allowed against SMOKERS. Otherwise it is not PC to be any of the above.
SmokeFree

Lake Mary, FL

#18 Jun 11, 2007
Bill Hannegan wrote:
<quoted text>
Melinda, please contact me if you want to help keep St. Louis free of a smoking ban:
[email protected]
Hey Willie,
Many, Many posts ago you said you didn't own that dive in St. Loius. You said you sold it many years ago. You are a FRAUD my friend, plain and simple. Your ship is sinking, better toss out the life rafts.
Smoking Bans are coming and I will check out your dive just to make sure you are following the laws!!!
Spend less time Posting and clean up your smokey dive. Can you spell LIAR. I sure can...
Melinda

Saint Louis, MO

#19 Jun 12, 2007
just candid wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry lady but you smokers have to learn you have no 'right' to befoul others air with your tobacco smoke.Smoke at home or some back ally,not around others.PS pick up your cig.butts ,we don't want them in the ally or on the street either.
And you have NO right to tell us smokers that we cannot smoke. I pay taxes to have freedom not to be told I cannot do something that is LEGAL. If the government wants to tell me that I can not smoke in a public place, then they need to make cigarettes ILLEGAL but will they NO because they want the tax money from the cigarette sales. You should get over your high horse....you are not more important because you do not smoke....this country is supposed to be about EQUAL rights and people like you PISS me off!!!! Get over yourself!!!
Fat Lady Welfare Smoker

United States

#20 Nov 20, 2008
dont tell me what to do. you dont own me. i want to smoke
Don Osborn

Granite City, IL

#21 Nov 23, 2008
Smokers Melinda and Fatass Welfare sucker go smoke in the banned establishments and go to jail, now that will fix the problem and you have each other for loving.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bethalto Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chris krieder Jul 27 Ethan 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Jul 26 OldManBenny 72
i just found a cool free site Jul 24 keith 1
Angela or Angie Raines Jul 22 Smitty 1
kristin duich (Aug '15) Jul 19 Idk 2
Elisa Marie Tate Jul 18 Yankee Liberal 1
Elisa Marie Tate Jul 18 Yankee Liberal 1

Bethalto Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bethalto Mortgages