liliahnic22

Dover, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

I have nothing against the Town of Sanford or the people that live there. I should say hopefully not but I'm afraid many Mainers are going to realize as I did that the nice town officials that represent you will not be there for you when a disaster strikes. Not because of resources, but because of a lack of education, ignorance and in my case refusal to learn. If you have lived in
Sanford for 15 yrs as I had in Berwick without an issue I can see why you would be very content. I was as well. My children went to school in Berwick and until this situation I would have never believed Maine treated the residents like throwaways. We had a disaster in 2006 and 2007 and I was made feel like I was asking for a handout when all I needed was a letter from the town in order to collect my own insurance money. I lived in a fantasy world for 15 yrs because everything was always one sided. As long as you don't need anything from the Town, your all set. And forget about the State because they are even more confused. I have fought this for 5 yrs (even tho there shouldn't have been a need)and will continue. When done I will completely move back to NH. Maine is a poorer state but NH has done so much more for flood victims without begging for 5 yrs. Being a poorer state or town would give preference to homeowners in disaster if town/state cared, but the don't. I am very sorry that I saw Maines true side. It's a beautiful State and I really didn't want to go back to NH but I see no choice. I suggest everyone to ask their town officials how they would help them if a disaster struck. Please don't be suprised as I was.
mainesucks

Monomoy Island, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2011

Judged:

Maine in general is a crap hole. The highest tax rate in the nation and the least in return for it. The state's judicial system has consistently ranked as the most corrupt in the nation - tied with Mississippi and beating out Louisiana and New York for top scumbag honors. This corruption permeates down from the wealthy controlling few at the top to the lowest life forms that inhabit places like Sanfud (yes, I spelled it that way intentionally because that's how a lot of degenerates in Maine pronounce it). Maine has one of the worst education systems, some of the worst environmental controls, highest per capita drug use, and lowest retention rate for students graduating college. The business climate is utterly atrocious. If you don't pay off the right local politicians, lawyers, judges and cops - trying to open a business to compete with business owners who already have these established connections is like pissing in the wind. Business people in New York City think they have it bad. They never tried to open up a Dunkin Donuts on main street in Camden. Which reminds me of the "topless" donut shop that was burned to the ground a few years ago outside of Disgusta (that's Augusta for those who've never had the privilege of living in the crap hole). Some backwoods, deliverance zone, religious nutcase apparently burned down a legally established topless donut shop - almost killing a young mother and child who were sleeping in the apartment attached to the building. And speaking of home schooled, ignorant, wastes of human beings - anyone ever tell you about the lobster drug industry in Maine? It seems that every lobsterman is a drug addict that owns almost as many shot guns as he does lobster traps - cuz you never know how many guns your going to need to fire when yur potectin' yur lobsta traps from otha lobstamen....Yup, Maine is one big toxic mix of poorly educated trash and snobby white collar criminals from away who spend their summer vacations making the place more unpleasant than it normally is. What a friggin crap hole.
bawse

Kykotsmovi Village, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2011

Whoever said that Sanford has 2 dunkin donuts is stupid. There are 5.
agram

Pawcatuck, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 20, 2011

I grew up in Sanford and enjoy my periodic visits for the memories I had and the relatives and friends there.
I moved away for work 60 years ago. The town is changing as they do everywhere, so if you are unhappy living there do something instead of complaining. Get involved and fight against what you do not like about living there.
From Away

Sanford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2011

Judged:

mainesucks wrote:
Maine in general is a crap hole. The highest tax rate in the nation and the least in return for it. The state's judicial system has consistently ranked as the most corrupt in the nation - tied with Mississippi and beating out Louisiana and New York for top scumbag honors. This corruption permeates down from the wealthy controlling few at the top to the lowest life forms that inhabit places like Sanfud (yes, I spelled it that way intentionally because that's how a lot of degenerates in Maine pronounce it). Maine has one of the worst education systems, some of the worst environmental controls, highest per capita drug use, and lowest retention rate for students graduating college. The business climate is utterly atrocious. If you don't pay off the right local politicians, lawyers, judges and cops - trying to open a business to compete with business owners who already have these established connections is like pissing in the wind. Business people in New York City think they have it bad. They never tried to open up a Dunkin Donuts on main street in Camden. Which reminds me of the "topless" donut shop that was burned to the ground a few years ago outside of Disgusta (that's Augusta for those who've never had the privilege of living in the crap hole). Some backwoods, deliverance zone, religious nutcase apparently burned down a legally established topless donut shop - almost killing a young mother and child who were sleeping in the apartment attached to the building. And speaking of home schooled, ignorant, wastes of human beings - anyone ever tell you about the lobster drug industry in Maine? It seems that every lobsterman is a drug addict that owns almost as many shot guns as he does lobster traps - cuz you never know how many guns your going to need to fire when yur potectin' yur lobsta traps from otha lobstamen....Yup, Maine is one big toxic mix of poorly educated trash and snobby white collar criminals from away who spend their summer vacations making the place more unpleasant than it normally is. What a friggin crap hole.
There's not much to add to your assessment, which by the way is quite accurate. Maine reminds me of the old west shows like Wagon Train and Have Gun Will Travel, where a few goobers who rose above the rest of the typical uneducated slime became the big wheel bullies in town. There's a reason why Maine is a rat hole, and it has nothing to do with a small population, but alot more to do with low IQ and substance abuse, especially beer. Seems that beer is the state bird...lmao. Sanford is merely the poster child for everything that's screwed up about Maine. Maine goobers make West Virginia miners look bright by comparison. Oh well, that's the result of constant inter-breeding of drunken morons. You reap what you sow.
Gotta Laugh

Sanford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2011

gryphon wrote:
You do not know how good you have it in Sanford-Springvale. I live in the area when not deployed to place referred to as the "sand box". A lifetime of traveling around the US and world grants a good chance to compare and contrast. Do not like your local law enforcement? Try a place without it or aligned with terrorists, organized crime, etc. Hate school? Try to figure out what you would do with out one. You would not be able to read and post your blogs. Do not like the way your groceries are packed? Go a month or so without a market or clean water to use your dish washing soap improperly packed. If you fall down in Sanford, figuratively or literally someone will help or assist you. I have meet many professional and fair people doing business and making a life in the area. Socially I have meet nice, considerate people that return common courtisies and sense when given to them. It amazes me someone would take the time to complain about there town and do nothing about it besides complain. You post a weak contribution on the internet, a tool and means to educate and help yourself do what you want, maybe depart (?), yet can not see the blessing of being in Sanford. I was away from New England for many years and it was a blessing to return, find, and earn a place in Sanford-Springvale.
Your argument is based on the typical "It ain't perfect, but it's a lot better than other places" quote that's been beaten to death.
I would suspect that no one else but you is comparing Sanford to a location in some other country. There are plenty of places in the US that make Sanford look good by comparison, but that hardly means that Sanford is a desirable place to live. It's simply less ratty than another rat hole. Like Einstein said, everything's relative. There's a reason why a lot of Mainers call Sanford a rat hole amoung other things. Maybe because it is. Sometimes it's that simple.
Massachusetts Refugee

Phillips, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2011

Judged:

I moved HERE from GLOUCESTER, MASS. Heck, this is Mayberry, R.F.D. compared to where I'm from. Think it's rough here? Read the Gloucester Daily Times online. Or the Salem News. Jeez.
staytru

Sanford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2012

THEN GO.
blondie

Sanford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

My husband and I recently bought a house in Sanford. We moved here from Beverly Ma. My husband had friends that live in Portsmouth N.H and Kennebunk Me..we'll they all told us that Sanford had a bad rap and not to move here. Well we found a beautiful home right on the border of Wells and we love it! Even when we lived in Beverly Ma. we noticed that every town/city has more crime and more problems..,Every Town Does! When you get that many people cogested in a small area .,it just ignites issues! And "Queen" is so right when she calls for personel accountability!! I witnessed{even in Ma.}that people would keep having children just to stay on welfare. I say Have some damn respect for yourself and help your child realize the meaning of self worth! And for "Pete".,it's not the NEW people that move into town that cause the problems..that's the mind set of someone who has lived in a awkward cicumstance for so long and hasnt tried to make a difference{or you would have boasted about it} I actually try to appreciate people in "whatever" cicumstance they come from or are in. Point blame on those who choose to rely on the "system" and keep all of us that have some self respect paying for it!
Queen wrote:
Cudo's to you! Finally someone gets it! Where has personal accountability gone? I'm so tired of hearing everyone whine and complain! Bottom line- if you don't like YOUR life-CHANGE it! Why do people sit around and whine whine whine? What go is it doing.
The problem with the "lose" people in Sanford, and I'm talking about a relatively small portion, is that they are from generations of people who are content living on the state, not working, having children to raise their income, and creating another generation of "losers".
I know people have hard times, I'm all for "helping" out until they get back on their feet. I am NOT, however, in agreement with the system that allows and even encourages people to not work, have more kids and live off the state. But, is that the problem of the "losers" or is it a state and federal problem? I had a friend that lost their job and had to take a minimum wage job, lost her fiance, and was 8 months pregnant. She needed to find a place to live, and was actively searching for a better job. She went to the DHS to see about getting some temporary help so she could get on her feet. They actually told her that she would be better of NOT working, as they could give her a housing allowance, food stamps, unemployment, fuel assistance and when the baby came, she'd get more benefits, including free health care.
You tell me: who's the problem here? So is it really the "losers" of Sanford, or is it the ridiculous requirements of the assistant programs?
I continually hear people say "you can't change the system, so you may as well take advantage of it". That mentallity is the downfall of this city, county, state and country!
Anyway, like I said I'm with you, it's not Sanford, it's the generations of "losers" that continue to populate the city, who give nothing back, but suck it dry, who give Sanford a BAD name.
<quoted text>
Taxes

Sanford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2013

Its Sanford city now, open up your wallets and pay your high property taxes, so the city will have all of its dream projects paid for.
bobkat863

Sanford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2014

Lving in sanford with the property taxes at 22% number 1 in the state. There is no room for develompment growth at such high tax level . The only thing left is despare,, crime and high welfare,.only a fool will stay in a sinking ship
Finally gone

Portsmouth, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Skankford sucks....all u see is young pregnant girls walking around with baby carriages around town....and two other kids in tow...while I'm paying for them to keep spreading their legs to support their kids...while I go into hannaford after working my ass off to pay for groceries to feed my two children...oh from the same father I might add...and they are buying name brand shit...steak, and whatever else it can't afford....then guess what? Here comes the EBT card....enjoy eating your fucking prime rib on my dollar bitches!!!!
zoe

Sanford, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2014

bawse wrote:
Whoever said that Sanford has 2 dunkin donuts is stupid. There are 5.
at the time the post was written there were only two :/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Berwick Discussions

Search the Berwick Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
t-bow Jul 15 Concerned Citizen 1
Varney Nursing Home (Jun '13) Jul 15 State Law Violation 2
ME Who do you support for Governor in Maine in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul 9 American Bob 111
Guess Who is Back! Jul 2 kiggleman 3
Review: Guitar Lessons W/ Randy Browning Jun 30 Sara 2
Sanford man sentenced for Berwick bank robbery Jun '14 Jill 1
Trains Wreck Tavern on 202 (Nov '11) Jun '14 Jill 51
•••
•••
•••
•••

Berwick Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••