Area colleges on 'Best of' list

Area colleges on 'Best of' list

There are 2 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Aug 22, 2008, titled Area colleges on 'Best of' list. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Several Michigan colleges showing up on the new list of America's Best Colleges from U.S. News & World Report .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

Chad

Grand Haven, MI

#1 Aug 23, 2008
And now they have one MORE excuse to raise tuition.
anderson

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Aug 25, 2008
I never could quite understand this college rating system. For example, during the first two years at Michigan or Michigan State you are more likely than not to have classes where there are hundreds of students in the same classroom, have an instructor who may or may not have a clue on how to teach, or have a foreign instructor who may or may not be understandable. I suspect that Harvard might not be that different.

What is different is that places like Harvard are heavily favored by the rich and powerful. These people expect their sons and daughters to also become associated with wealth an power and thus you find that many leaders coming from Harvard. It is no secret the lengths to which the parents of these sons and daughters will go to prepare them for (1) getting into Harvard and (2) staying enrolled.

But to make sure the institute does not fall victim to inbreeding, a significant number of up and coming "poor" people are admitted on merit thus allowing the school, in future years, to boast on their achievement and allow them to demonstrate that they are truly the uno school.

A lot of this rating system is just plain bogus and full of self-deceit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berrien Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jeremy Park (Nov '13) May 23 Rhonnieleigha 8
Smell in Sister Lakes area Mar '17 Y Riggs 1
News Berrien County Recount Set For Wednesday Jan '17 Lloyd 1
Pennellwood Resort (Jul '07) Aug '16 Robert L Wiltfong 59
News Where Michigan's fishing, heading into the Apri... (Apr '16) Apr '16 GayGrandpa 2
Worldwide Rally For Cecil: Berrien County, MI (Jan '16) Jan '16 Razz Amatazz 1
Review: Bob Cooper Automotive (Apr '11) Apr '15 America 2

Berrien Springs Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berrien Springs Mortgages