Big-city students benefit disproporti...

Big-city students benefit disproportionately from lottery

There are 10 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Apr 17, 2011, titled Big-city students benefit disproportionately from lottery. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

San Juan County residents are scratching away more than they are winning back. Locals spent $8.2 million on New Mexico Lottery games in 2010, down from the $8.6 million county residents spent on the six available lottery games in 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Apache Grad

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Apr 17, 2011
I can not see any point to this article - the student choses the school, and that school gets the lottery money.

SJC was part of NMSU until Henderson decided differently - now we have what is locally known as Totah Tech, and a degree from here does not mean much. So take it up with Henderson !!!
Sunset

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Apr 17, 2011
Apache Grad wrote:
I can not see any point to this article - the student choses the school, and that school gets the lottery money.
SJC was part of NMSU until Henderson decided differently - now we have what is locally known as Totah Tech, and a degree from here does not mean much. So take it up with Henderson !!!
You missed the point.
Mikeylikesithere

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Apr 17, 2011
The article makes it "sound like" more residents of larger communities should 'play' the lottery more often. Most people realize the folks in San Juan County are not playing the lottery with the express purpose of "sending my kid to college". They are playing to win some money. In larger cities the levels of poverty, confidence, or spending of money on a game of chance are different, because the population is larger/different. A smaller group of low-income residents cannot be compared to a larger population of higher income residents. It's the economy "silly". The reporter is comparing apples and oranges and calling it "soup". Next time, take smaller chunks. I recommend taking your cues from "less education leads to lower economic status" and "higher education leads to higher paying jobs". Sometimes gambling is fun. Sometimes it's just gambling, but dreams will always be dreams.
Jess Saying

Tuba City, AZ

#4 Apr 17, 2011
Most of the points are being missed or I am in the fog also. Fist, only 30% of the lotto money goes to college education grants. The college is the one that doles out the "prize money" for students. San Juan students are getting less that students from the larger towns. I would guess that is because the people that are doing the selecting are FROM those larger towns that happen to have the colleges students desire to attend. I do agree big time with the poster that said totah tech was once part of NMSU. Now it is jack nothing. A degree is almost useless. I went two years to San Juan Branch of NMSU, main campus two years and bingo, I go an NMSU BS degree.
curry

Florence, AL

#5 Apr 17, 2011
Bill Richardson's fault
Do not forget

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Apr 17, 2011
curry wrote:
Bill Richardson's fault
Clinton got an air start too!
Rhyanna Boatall

Sykesville, MD

#7 Apr 18, 2011
Mikeylikesithere wrote:
The article makes it "sound like" more residents of larger communities should 'play' the lottery more often. Most people realize the folks in San Juan County are not playing the lottery with the express purpose of "sending my kid to college". They are playing to win some money. In larger cities the levels of poverty, confidence, or spending of money on a game of chance are different, because the population is larger/different. A smaller group of low-income residents cannot be compared to a larger population of higher income residents. It's the economy "silly". The reporter is comparing apples and oranges and calling it "soup". Next time, take smaller chunks. I recommend taking your cues from "less education leads to lower economic status" and "higher education leads to higher paying jobs". Sometimes gambling is fun. Sometimes it's just gambling, but dreams will always be dreams.
You're certainly moving in the right direction. I think comparing the distribution of lottery money among counties is a worthy goal, but that's not what Ryan has done. He's taken data on which counties buy how many lottery tickets and data on how much lottery scholarship money is going to schools from those counties (at least that's the indication I get from his writing).

THEN, and I love this, he tries to stir thing up by saying benefits are disproportionate. It's a big word, a great word, but I'm not sure Ryan knows what it means. Proportions take disparate data and turn them into something a bit more equal. For instance, Ryan really should have been looking at percentages: what percent of high school graduates from X and Y counties are going to college? in New Mexico? taking lottery scholarships? The questions can go on and on, and they're all interesting.

However, to say that Albuquerque is getting more money than San Juan County...is a waste or your time. More people = more money = obvious fact. Figure it out Boetel.
Joe Shmoe

Crossroads, NM

#8 Apr 18, 2011
The Lottery Scholarship was not set up by county contribution. The Scholarship does not care where the student goes to school(cheap or expensive)as long as the school is state funded and on the approved list.It is surely impossible to please everyone...
Dr Who

Bloomfield, NM

#9 Apr 18, 2011
Very well said
Rhyanna Boatall wrote:
<quoted text>
You're certainly moving in the right direction. I think comparing the distribution of lottery money among counties is a worthy goal, but that's not what Ryan has done. He's taken data on which counties buy how many lottery tickets and data on how much lottery scholarship money is going to schools from those counties (at least that's the indication I get from his writing).
THEN, and I love this, he tries to stir thing up by saying benefits are disproportionate. It's a big word, a great word, but I'm not sure Ryan knows what it means. Proportions take disparate data and turn them into something a bit more equal. For instance, Ryan really should have been looking at percentages: what percent of high school graduates from X and Y counties are going to college? in New Mexico? taking lottery scholarships? The questions can go on and on, and they're all interesting.
However, to say that Albuquerque is getting more money than San Juan County...is a waste or your time. More people = more money = obvious fact. Figure it out Boetel.
ABQlib

United States

#10 Apr 19, 2011
Uh ... yeah. There are actual colleges and universities in the larger NM towns (and even several towns that are smaller than Farmington). Go figure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernalillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 49 min Frmr-fmer505-1951 115,054
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 1 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 64,091
News Iraqi facing deportation after aiding military ... 8 hr Rishjali 12
News Church offers free school supplies (Aug '09) 9 hr Nubui 104
Have the Cicadas returned to Albuquerque? 9 hr Nino 3
trump derangement syndrome 17 hr Bull Durham 134
Review: Adults On Rio Bravo (Nov '10) Tue Nino 829

Bernalillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bernalillo Mortgages