Our view: 700-mile trail: It all star...

Our view: 700-mile trail: It all starts in Sunland Park

There are 3 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from May 3, 2010, titled Our view: 700-mile trail: It all starts in Sunland Park. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

You call that a river? Well, it might not be the Mighty Missisip, but this area's squirm of the Rio Grande is beginning to serve as a health, recreational and cultural blessing.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

New Mexico

Las Cruces, NM

#1 May 3, 2010
good
Silverback

Santa Fe, NM

#2 May 11, 2010
Sounds like a good initiative. I'm just wondering is the state getting behind the Continental Divide Trail as well?
C Lee Nickel

Albuquerque, NM

#3 May 12, 2010
Silverback wrote:
Sounds like a good initiative. I'm just wondering is the state getting behind the Continental Divide Trail as well?
Not to my knowledge. The Continental Divide Trail passes less than a mile from my backcountry camp at about 8000 feet elevation, and though there is an unpaid volunteer who helps maintain the trail in the area, and it is well marked with rock cairns, people keep stealing the signs, and there is no money to replace them.

I'm told the trail itself is a rough one and tumble one, much more primitive, and much more difficult, then either the Pacific Crest or Appalachian Trails. In nearly five years of visiting the area, and crossing the trail in several places on the roads to my place, I've never seen a single person on the trail. According to folks at the El Malpais Visitor Center, which is along the trail on Hwy. 53 in the area, only a couple dozen hikers a year pass their way on the trail.

http://carynickelsworth.blogspot.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernalillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 9 min Piglet Von Chix 64,094
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 20 min Mister Chix 115,057
TRUMP just POed Many More People 4 hr Drain 113
News #abq4ward: Amid growing crime epidemic, KOB new... 6 hr The truth 1
OJ Get Parole 8 hr Cut Property 1
trump derangement syndrome 16 hr Tad Askew 135
News Iraqi facing deportation after aiding military ... Wed Rishjali 12

Bernalillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance