Report looks at how NM courts handle ...

Report looks at how NM courts handle DWI cases

There are 7 comments on the The Deming Headlight story from Jul 28, 2010, titled Report looks at how NM courts handle DWI cases. In it, The Deming Headlight reports that:

The latest report from a project analyzing how New Mexico courts handle driving-while-intoxicated cases found some defendants were pleading to reduced charges, sentences were deferred, and cases were dismissed because officers didn't come to court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Deming Headlight.

thegoodbob

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Jul 28, 2010
I see too many on the news with 8-12 DUI charges how is this possible ? We have courts not doing their jobs !
Que Loco

Los Gatos, CA

#2 Jul 28, 2010
I want to start up an organization, how do I do this? Iwant to call it it DAMM. Drunks Against Mad Mothers. I know this will offend some of you but as long as there is liquor and beer being sole in this country there will be people drinking and driving,You will Never stop this.
I also see Repeat Offenders in the police blotter and I have questioned that myself. How do this same guy's get off so easy and go and do it again. I think I would be afraid to drive if I did drink just at the thought of getting thrown in jail or have to pay those fines. and have an interlock placed on your vehicle. I see this at the local stores where there are guy's and girls walking out with a 30 pack and then blowing into that device to get your car started.
I guess someone is making money with those devices.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#3 Jul 29, 2010
thegoodbob wrote:
I see too many on the news with 8-12 DUI charges how is this possible ? We have courts not doing their jobs !
not too long ago, there was an Albuquerque man with 27 DUIs that finally did some time in jail after finally killing someone.

stricter laws are definitely needed!
RacerX

United States

#4 Jul 29, 2010
No they are not. Current laws need to be ENFORCED and judges need to be held ACCOUNTABLE.
Justice4no1 wrote:
<quoted text>
not too long ago, there was an Albuquerque man with 27 DUIs that finally did some time in jail after finally killing someone.
stricter laws are definitely needed!
good point

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jul 29, 2010
RacerX wrote:
No they are not. Current laws need to be ENFORCED and judges need to be held ACCOUNTABLE.
<quoted text>
I agree. Law enforcement also needs to SHOW up for the court dates that are set. Too Many of these cases are dropped because the people who wrote the citations in the first place are no shows and do not finish seeing it to completion. Often it means you have to go in on your day off. Not fun.
Call the Local Sheriffs department and the State police they have the statistics on their men who do not show up in court on the date they are supposed to. They have no problem with it.There are some men who do take it to task. Ask how many cases in the last seven months have been thrown out. It seems the City police are doing a very good job and are following through. Look at the cases they are closing compared to LCSO.
It is just not a priority right now or they would follow through. How ever, that will change during election time.They will step up their game and will be in the front page of the paper every other day. Free advertizing.
RacerX

United States

#6 Jul 29, 2010
I will go as far as to say that law enforcement is not the problem here. Most LE guys do show up, but the revolving door of justice, lawyers, judges and their ilk is the real problem.
good point wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. Law enforcement also needs to SHOW up for the court dates that are set. Too Many of these cases are dropped because the people who wrote the citations in the first place are no shows and do not finish seeing it to completion. Often it means you have to go in on your day off. Not fun.
Call the Local Sheriffs department and the State police they have the statistics on their men who do not show up in court on the date they are supposed to. They have no problem with it.There are some men who do take it to task. Ask how many cases in the last seven months have been thrown out. It seems the City police are doing a very good job and are following through. Look at the cases they are closing compared to LCSO.
It is just not a priority right now or they would follow through. How ever, that will change during election time.They will step up their game and will be in the front page of the paper every other day. Free advertizing.
Pedro

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 Aug 20, 2010
I remember listening to a police scanner where a girl was pulled over for DUI, driving on an expired license, reckless driving, and one other minor thing (I forget what it was). I heard the officer say he was going to drop the DUI and just ticket her on the rest of it. That was in Albuquerque. It shows what they think of DUI. When are we going to change it from a misdemeanor to a federal offense? Even a first time DUI can kill innocent people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernalillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Gary Johnson Just a Smidgen Gay? (Aug '11) 1 hr Nunya 50
News New a Breaking Bada balloon coming to the sky 2 hr Bart K 7
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 3 hr Raymond 6,908
hillary endorsed by grand dragon kkk - tim kane... 4 hr Yep 15
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 4 hr Mister Chix 62,258
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 4 hr new parrot 113,113
News Ex-inmate sues Bernalillo County officials over... 5 hr wow 4

Bernalillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance