Yee talks about tax lightning

County Assessor Donald Yee spoke about the controversial issue of tax lightning for homeowners at the Republican Woman of Otero County monthly luncheon meeting on May 4. Tax lightning is part of a 2001 law viewed by 2nd Judicial District Judge Theresa Baca as unconstitutional. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#1 May 15, 2011
If it's unconstitutional then why do we still have it?

Since: Oct 08

#2 May 15, 2011
it the government and they are here to help!
Alamo senior

Riverside, CA

#3 May 15, 2011
It's not unconstitutional - - - Years ago California passed prop 13 that stated property taxes could not be raised more than two percent per year for owner tenents until the property was sold to someone else. The same thing happened - - - A simular neiboring home occupied by new owners would pay higher taxes than the adjacent neighbor. Prop 13 enabled seniors to keep their homes and not be taxed out of them.
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#4 May 15, 2011
Interesting article.

But, when I first browsed over it, I thought the County was seeking ways to somehow tax God, everytime a storm rolls through here?

Isn't the proper english word that should have been used, "Lightening"?

Was Mr Barbati a fine product of the Alamogordo School System? Doesn't anyone proof read these articles, or have a 3rd grade command of the English Language?
Michael Morris

Tularosa, NM

#5 May 15, 2011
Heisenberg wrote:
Interesting article.
But, when I first browsed over it, I thought the County was seeking ways to somehow tax God, everytime a storm rolls through here?
Was Mr Barbati a fine product of the Alamogordo School System? Doesn't anyone proof read these articles, or have a 3rd grade command of the English Language?
Numbers 2 and 3 weigh heavy.
Michael Morris

Tularosa, NM

#6 May 15, 2011
Just kidding. It is reliance on that spellchecker as a usage checker.
senior person

Rio Rancho, NM

#7 May 15, 2011
Heisenberg wrote:
Interesting article.
I noticed that also. There have been some really bad spelling errors this week. If they need a proof reader, I willingly volunteer.
No error

Alamogordo, NM

#8 May 15, 2011
Heisenberg

Alamogordo, NM

#9 May 15, 2011
Ahh So, So, it's not an "Alamogordo" quirk, but a "New Mexico" quirk, where this entire state has its own unique interpretation of the english language?

What should it be called? "New Spanglish"?
mssl

Lebanon, OR

#10 May 15, 2011
Could someone please be specific on what part of the Constitution is being violated and also what part of the tax law is in violation?
Michael Morris

Tularosa, NM

#11 May 15, 2011
mssl wrote:
Could someone please be specific on what part of the Constitution is being violated and also what part of the tax law is in violation?
"This is not the equal and uniform treatment that the framers contemplated under our Constitution," Arrieta wrote. "Moreover, the effect of 'tax lightning' is to have no limit on the annual increases on similar properties -- a result directly in conflict with the Constitution."
District Judge Manuel Arrieta
Speaking of Judge Arrieta

Phoenix, AZ

#12 May 15, 2011
In the small world department, check this out:
http://nmpolitics.net/Documents/MurphyIndictm...

The report begins on page 7.
Alamo senior

United States

#13 May 16, 2011
Michael Morris wrote:
<quoted text>
"This is not the equal and uniform treatment that the framers contemplated under our Constitution," Arrieta wrote. "Moreover, the effect of 'tax lightning' is to have no limit on the annual increases on similar properties -- a result directly in conflict with the Constitution."
If you think that be the case, please explain California's Prop 13 which has been in place since the 70s'?

“Chained 11 yrs. ~ Free Now!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14 May 16, 2011
senior person wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed that also. There have been some really bad spelling errors this week. If they need a proof reader, I willingly volunteer.
I liked the one where the couple was being "untied in marriage".
Michael Morris

Tularosa, NM

#15 May 16, 2011
Alamo senior wrote:
<quoted text> If you think that be the case, please explain California's Prop 13 which has been in place since the 70s'?
I never tried to explain it. I quoted the judge in order to answer the question to which I replied. I guess you will have to ask the judge to further clarify.

Since: Jul 08

Alamogordo, NM

#16 May 16, 2011
Tax lightning?? How will the lightning be appraised and counted? Will it be considered an energy source for taxation purposes? Unconstitutional because it is impossible to access, to count, and to collect!

“Our nearest star”

Since: May 09

Alamogordo, NM

#17 May 16, 2011
Andy Whiteman wrote:
Tax lightning?? How will the lightning be appraised and counted? Will it be considered an energy source for taxation purposes? Unconstitutional because it is impossible to access, to count, and to collect!
http://www.mindspring.com/~avery/LPmeter.htm

http://www.globeatnight.org/learn_SQM.html

Alamogordo, NM

#18 May 16, 2011
I lived in San Diego County from 1984 to 1992. My understanding of Prop 13 was that property value was assessed and taxes set at the time of purchase of the property. There could be no increase in taxes unless approved by the voters.
I purchased my home in Alamogordo over 2 years ago and my valuation was set then. I have no problem with that buy I object to my valuation going up 3% yearly. With this recession, I don't feel the value of my home has increased over 6%. It should have declined. I have checked home listings ocassioanlly and have noticed that homes are generally priced lower now. I feel mine was way overpriced but I bargained the price down while it was on the market over 2 years before I bought it.

Rather than a 3% yearly increase, home values should be reassessed. Due to the numbers involved the State of MO requires an actual reassessment every certain number of years (I believe 5) and it is rotated by area in the county. I believe actual reassessment based on comparable market value to be more fair. There is already a provision in NM for seniors or the disabled on low income people to freeze the value of their property by filing a request.

Alamogordo, NM

#19 May 16, 2011
BarbMoore wrote:
Is lightning being taxed as an energy source, nuisance, or what? My point is it is a really poor headline. It gets attention and they want to sell papers. Maybe that is the reason for a stupid headline.
mssl

Lebanon, OR

#20 May 16, 2011
Michael Morris wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't see it. Are you talking about the 14th Amendment? No specifics have been presented here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernalillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aubrey Dung for Dog Catcher 1 hr Matthew Morgenthal 1
King: Gov. Martinez "does not have Latino heart" 3 hr nomittrequired 37
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 4 hr Mister Chix 55,527
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 5 hr Mister Chix 106,443
Teacher's letter to student: Class happier when... 5 hr fmer505-1951 3
Parents upset over graphic anti-abortion ad nea... 6 hr fmer505-1951 25
Voter ID ordinances fails to pass 14 hr Eye in the sky 23
Bernalillo Dating
Find my Match

Bernalillo Jobs