NM study finds many sober drivers go wrong way

This Oct. 31, 2007, picture shows a wrong-way sign in New Mexico. A statewide study on fatal wrong-way crashes on New Mexico's thousand miles of interstate highway wasn't that 59 percent of the crashes were caused by drunken drivers, or that 79 people died, but that 41 percent of the crashes were caused by people who managed to drive the wrong way ... Full Story

Since: Jan 10

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Apr 18, 2010
The "spikes that puncture the tires of a vehicle that travels the wrong way on an exit ramp" solution presented is not practical when you consider the speeds allowed on most ramps.

Notice that where there are tire spikes you have to go SLOW over them (10 mph is the highest I have ever seen). Put them too far down the ram and they won't retract properly as the speeds the ramp is designed for. Put them too far up the ram and you risk somebody puncturing a tire as the car goes back slightly as they relieve the break and apply the gas as a ramp with a light or stop sign.

Never mind you have the issue of maintaining these things and they doesn't stop someone from using the emergency turn around points to go the wrong way.
Rich White Guy

United States

#2 Apr 18, 2010
Two words: Senior Citizens.
great research

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Apr 18, 2010
wow.. so the majority are drunk.. and the rest are not.. really what exactly were they thinking they would find? Majority not drunk? majority from mars.. this is such a waste of space.. let's start looking at those that speed. i bet they will find similar results..
Dave

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Apr 18, 2010
Interesting that almost 60% happen on I40. That leaves around 40% for I10 and I25. Why the disparity?

More people travel on 140? Greater number of drunks on I40? More sucky drivers on I40????
Yar

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Apr 19, 2010
Drunkeness makes you stupid. When you're stupid, you drive stupidly; for instance, you may drive the wrong way on the freeway.

Other things make you stupid. No surprise people who are naturally stupid (as opposed to needing alcohol to get there), also drive stupidly.

The DMV gives away drivers' licenses like candy. If they would quit that (also stupid) practice, and require real training and proficiency for a drivers' license, we would get rid of most of our traffic injuries and fatalities. From my observations, at least half the drivers in New Mexico should never be allowed behind the wheel. They simply have not earned the right to drive.

Such a simple solution. Nobody is listening.

Since: Oct 09

Los Alamos, NM

#6 Apr 19, 2010
I mentioned this in another thread:

right on the entrance to an off-ramp, place big reflective arrows showing the direction of travel. If you turn on it going the wrong way, hopefully they will see the arrows pointing the wrong way and stop before they get down to the highway.

That would only help if people pay attention to how they drive, so as Yar said, it wouldn't help the stupid ones much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernalillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 24 min fmer505-1951 56,109
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 14 hr Mister Chix 106,923
The Grinch that Stole Christmas 15 hr fmer505-1951 4
Albuquerque police say homeowner shot intruder (Aug '13) Wed Willothewisp 11
Tourism boss takes over CYFD Wed I guess 2
Going to California Wed _hellbilly_ 1
Co-workers help burglary victim replace Christm... Wed oh-please 1

Winter Storm Warning for Sandoval County was issued at December 26 at 5:27AM MST

Bernalillo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bernalillo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bernalillo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bernalillo

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
NFL Week 17 Picks: Rounding Up Top Experts' Predictions
Yahoo! Sports 6:13 AM
Cardinals now plan to start Lindley, not Thomas, in season finale
Bleacher Report 6:28 AM
Oakland Raiders vs. Denver Broncos: Complete Week 17 Preview for Denver
NBC Sports 8:05 AM
Report: Drew Stanton being treated for infection
NFL 8:06 AM
Drew Stanton could be out for rest of Cardinals' season