Loss of federal money could trim Rail...

Loss of federal money could trim Rail Runner service (7:47 a.m.)

There are 22 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 14, 2011, titled Loss of federal money could trim Rail Runner service (7:47 a.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

A loss of $1.2 million in federal funding has operators of the Rail Runner Express rethinking weekday train service to save money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Still Standing

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jun 17, 2011
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
"WE in Las Cruces..."??? Have you a **** in your pocket? Amusing, you claim LC as your residence yet your ISP is Abq, and your handle "Still Standing" is that of an earlier TWIT that used to post the same senseless liberal garbage all over this Topix forum...
If the rail runner is built it will be used. I would love to be able to go to go to crappy meetings in Albuquerque without putting up with the crappy drive. I know a lot of other people who would use it too. The world has changed and will continue to change even if some people don't like the changes. Although the 1966 Fairlane is good to look back at, it is outdated and impractical. Although the high school diploma is a good thing, it is outdated and not enough any more. Although Fossil fuels built this country, it is not practical for the future. Old people in their 90's have seen so many changes. It is a different world than they were born into. It didn't progress overnight. It progressed step by step. What would have happened if the previous generation would have stood in the way of tv, computers, X rays, and Radiation therapy? By the way, Albuquerque just pops up when I type, I live in Cruces. I don't know why either. If it starts to bother me, I'll ask a kid why.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#22 Jun 18, 2011
Still Standing wrote:
<quoted text>If the rail runner is built it will be used. I would love to be able to go to go to crappy meetings in Albuquerque without putting up with the crappy drive. I know a lot of other people who would use it too. The world has changed and will continue to change even if some people don't like the changes.
I don't have a problem with trains or mass public transportation. Buses are great, so are trains - when they make economic sense. I also understyand and support public subsidies for such, up to a point. What I do have a problem with is the cost when it is very very excessive and accomplishes very little.

An example is the FailRunner. The cost has been horrendous exceeding $500mil. It currently serves less than of 1% of the corridor population. Even the figures in today's Journal article today tend to back that up. They use one-way figures because it makes the numbers appear bigger at a glance but we all know that if you go on it, you'll return on it, and THAT is NOT two riders, that's one doing a round trip. It says:
- 2500 Saturday one way trips(that = 1250 people)
- 1000 Sunday one way trips(that = 500 people)
- 4500 weekday boardings(that = 2250 people)
Keep in mind that many of these SAT/SUN riders are children who are also riding for free, and weekdayers are state employees.

All in all it doesn't provide enough for what it costs, nor will it as the population of this state is not enough to make much of a dent in the costs, even with the massive subsidies it already gets. Santa Fe is not the alpha and omega of the world as some seem to think. There is life outside the corridor.

Also keep in mind that a tax was passed a few years ago to fund maintenance of the FailRunner, some $20mil annually. The very day after it was passed, we were told it wasn't enough. Why didn't they ask for what they needed instead in the first place? Because they knew if they did, it'd likely be rejected by the voters. And that lack of money has manifested itself in part as an upcoming stoppage of weekend service. Add to it the number of stations, how often they're used, why they are where they are($Bills buds), how much they cost and how they impact travel time.

Bottom line is it's a great concept, but its simply not economically viable for NM, at this point in time anyway. It serves too few for the cost. We have too many other more important needs to spend our tax dollars on than a train that moves mostly state employees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernalillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 4 hr Mister Chix 57,985
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 4 hr Cooties 108,673
bandido support clubs (Nov '11) 5 hr Monty 163
News Giddens Leads New Mexico Over UNLV, 59-45 (Mar '08) 8 hr Fartin24 7 22
News Same-Sex Marriage Trumps Religious Liberty in N... (Aug '13) 17 hr Sally 1,047
APS Leadership Disgraces Itself Yet Again (Nov '06) 17 hr Jill 4
White House looks like a circus lit up 17 hr Paulie 31
More from around the web

Bernalillo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Bernalillo Mortgages