Loss of federal money could trim Rail...

Loss of federal money could trim Rail Runner service (7:47 a.m.)

There are 22 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jun 14, 2011, titled Loss of federal money could trim Rail Runner service (7:47 a.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

A loss of $1.2 million in federal funding has operators of the Rail Runner Express rethinking weekday train service to save money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Barnes

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Jun 14, 2011
I ride almost every day. Good changes.
Ricky Tafoya

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Jun 14, 2011
Scrap it and sell it as parts. What a money pit.
Jack

Rio Rancho, NM

#3 Jun 14, 2011
The libs up north talk the talk now they need to walk the walk.
Meanwhile

Edgewood, NM

#4 Jun 14, 2011
Ricky Tafoya wrote:
Scrap it and sell it as parts. What a money pit.
While you are at it, dismantle I-25 between Belen and Las Cruces. what a money pit.
Reader

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Jun 14, 2011
How dare those feds take away our money. The rest of the U.S. deserves to subsidize our commuter rail service! RAISE TAXES ON THE RICH! RAISE TAXES ON THE RICH! Anyone making more money that me must pay more taxes!

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6 Jun 14, 2011
The FailRunner, aka state employee express, provides little useful service, for too few people, costing WAY too much money for everyone! A complete waste of NM taxpayer dollars. Derail the funding!
Don

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Jun 14, 2011
The Railrunner is a step forward...it's the future like it or not...somebody should be looking at all the dollars Obama has set aside for rail projects and bid on it...connect Las Cruces to Belen and have a stop at the spaceport...then our locals can compete with T&C for spaceport traffic and tourism...I used to ride the train to ABQ to meet with friends and go to meetings,..one up early in AM and one back late...sure beats spending money on gas and pounding up the highway!
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#8 Jun 14, 2011
Reader wrote:
How dare those feds take away our money. The rest of the U.S. deserves to subsidize our commuter rail service! RAISE TAXES ON THE RICH! RAISE TAXES ON THE RICH! Anyone making more money that me must pay more taxes!
Good post! Enjoy the sarcasm.

Wouldn't it be something if this fed money could've been used for funding our NM educational institutions instead of paying for the failed blunder?
Don

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Jun 14, 2011
The Railrunner could be funded nicely by taking dollars from Hillary's foreign aid budget...especially those dollars that support our competitors like China and the corrupt heads of state
Reader

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jun 14, 2011
Don wrote:
The Railrunner is a step forward...it's the future like it or not...somebody should be looking at all the dollars Obama has set aside for rail projects and bid on it...connect Las Cruces to Belen and have a stop at the spaceport...then our locals can compete with T&C for spaceport traffic and tourism...I used to ride the train to ABQ to meet with friends and go to meetings,..one up early in AM and one back late...sure beats spending money on gas and pounding up the highway!
How can a transportation system that can't be operated and maintained without enormous taxpayer subsidies be the way of the future? You just don't get it. You are saying the taxpaying citizens of the United States should open their wallets and pay the bill for transporting a select few to their destinations. Have you ever stopped to consider where the money comes from?

Commuter rail only sort-of works in Europe because the population densities are much higher and the cost of owning/operating a private motor vehicle is astronomical compared to our country. People in Europe choose where they live based on where they work or go to school so they can be close to the public transportation that works best for them. Even with a quarter or more of the population riding public transportation to work and school, Europeans are struggling with crushing costs of operating, maintaining and modernizing their infrastructure.

We don't need a taxpayer funded public transportation network designed primarily around transporting government employees to their workplace. And we certainly don't need a publicly funded rail network to connect Las Cruces with Albuquerque/Santa Fe because a couple people may want to travel north to visit friends once in a while. If you want to go north but don't want to drive – take the Americanos bus; don't ask me to pay more taxes so you can take a train. If there was a sustainable business model for rail service to the north, don’t you think a business would be providing it?

If you like/expect the government to provide you with all the services your heart desires, move to North Korea or Cuba – the only communist states left.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#11 Jun 14, 2011
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post! Enjoy the sarcasm.
Wouldn't it be something if this fed money could've been used for funding our NM educational institutions instead of paying for the failed blunder?
A grand and noble idea, however an informed and educated electorate is detrimental to politicians.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#12 Jun 14, 2011
Don wrote:
The Railrunner could be funded nicely by taking dollars from Hillary's foreign aid budget...especially those dollars that support our competitors like China and the corrupt heads of state
There are more worthy project such money could be used for besides a choo choo that serves less than 1/4th of 1% of the current corridor population. NEWS FLASH - there is more to NM than the area between LC and SF. NM has an EW width too so wake up and smell the roses, grab a geography book - you might be surprised there are 49 other states. Your train doesn't expand people's choices, it limits them when competing for tax$$$!
Still Standing

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Jun 14, 2011
Don wrote:
So many people around here don't see past their 1966 Ford Fairlanes. They just cannot see progress. They also don't see past the boundaries of New Mexico. The rail runner needs to grow so we in Las Cruces can use it. It would be a great asset to the tourist industry.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#14 Jun 15, 2011
Still Standing wrote:
<quoted text>
So many people around here don't see past their 1966 Ford Fairlanes. They just cannot see progress. They also don't see past the boundaries of New Mexico. The rail runner needs to grow so we in Las Cruces can use it. It would be a great asset to the tourist industry.
I wish I had a 66 Fairlane.

And just why is it everyone in the state should pay an exorbitant amount towards expanding the FailRunner so LC w/ a population of 95k can use it? MagLev trains are cool too, but not economically viable either.

Get on a bus, ride Amtrak, carpool, or get/rent an econo model for your once in awhile trips to here. A train between LC/Abq is NOT an inexpensive viable mode of travel to heap upon taxpayers when we have schools that turn out fools - may I remind you our graduation rate is 49th of 50, even though the article said 51 states. Seems the reporter needs a geography lesson too. NM has too little money to address too many issues, and Billy Triple Chins ego-train isn't one of them.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#15 Jun 15, 2011
Still Standing wrote:
<quoted text>
"WE in Las Cruces..."??? Have you a turd in your pocket? Amusing, you claim LC as your residence yet your ISP is Abq, and your handle "Still Standing" is that of an earlier TWIT that used to post the same senseless liberal garbage all over this Topix forum...
Jupiter Jones

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jun 15, 2011
I'd rather see a high speed train from El Paso to Denver. High speed. It takes longer to ride the Rail Runner from Alb. to Santa Fe than it would to drive. The Rail Runner is good if you don't or can't drive, but it takes about 30 minutes longer than driving.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#17 Jun 15, 2011
Jupiter Jones wrote:
I'd rather see a high speed train from El Paso to Denver. High speed. It takes longer to ride the Rail Runner from Alb. to Santa Fe than it would to drive. The Rail Runner is good if you don't or can't drive, but it takes about 30 minutes longer than driving.
High speed sounds good but (1), the tracks can't handle speeds of that nature,(2) NM can't afford the cost of replacing, realigning and regrading the tracks to accommodate HS rail,(3) we can't afford to purchase HS trains, and (4) the various pueblos would not allow them to travel @ HS on their land. Along with the multitude of unnecessary stops at unnecessary stations is why it takes longer to ride between Abq/SF than it does to drive.
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#18 Jun 16, 2011
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I had a 66 Fairlane.
And just why is it everyone in the state should pay an exorbitant amount towards expanding the FailRunner so LC w/ a population of 95k can use it? MagLev trains are cool too, but not economically viable either.
Get on a bus, ride Amtrak, carpool, or get/rent an econo model for your once in awhile trips to here. A train between LC/Abq is NOT an inexpensive viable mode of travel to heap upon taxpayers when we have schools that turn out fools - may I remind you our graduation rate is 49th of 50, even though the article said 51 states. Seems the reporter needs a geography lesson too. NM has too little money to address too many issues, and Billy Triple Chins ego-train isn't one of them.
I very very strongly disagree with you. You need to get your facts straight before you post! Richardson has 4 chins! Not three!

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#19 Jun 16, 2011
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
I very very strongly disagree with you. You need to get your facts straight before you post! Richardson has 4 chins! Not three!
Are you POSITIVE? Could that really be one of the burrito's he stored for later consumption (or crushed crumb accumulations) that's getting squeezed out of the folds of the other three chins<G>??? OMG, the visual of that would be so NASTYYY!!!! Ewwwwww...

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#20 Jun 17, 2011
Effective this coming August, the FailRunner will stop offering weekend service due to money constraints. That's a good start, now lets get rid of weekday service too since it costs so much and serves so few(as in state employees). Outstanding!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bernalillo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How About Those Big shots at APS! 2 hr gregory 14
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 3 hr Mister Chix 63,766
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 3 hr new parrot 114,721
Thinking of moving to NM - Read This 1st 7 hr CallousOneToo 5
Safety Dance 16 hr Women with hats 6
Chelsea Clinton Says Female Genital Mutilation ... Sat Yeah 3
News Maggie Toulouse Oliver runs for SOS seat (Aug '16) Aug '16 Gary J 12

Bernalillo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance