In Connecticut, Stimulus Projects Are...

In Connecticut, Stimulus Projects Are Speeding Along, But In Time?

There are 41 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Apr 16, 2009, titled In Connecticut, Stimulus Projects Are Speeding Along, But In Time?. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

If you see road pavers or asphalt-laden dump trucks in the Buckland Hills area of Manchester, or along the Farmington River Trail in Canton, or on Episcopal Road in Berlin this summer, take heed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
cameo35

Bloomfield, CT

#1 Apr 16, 2009
..The DOT won't hire anymore than what they have. The same workers will still keep on working. Laborers and truckers, WoW! big deal! How about the real trades like Pipefitters, electricains,millrights ,tin knockers ,plumbers,boilermakers ,ironworkers, and then some.We need real projects like powerhouses and hospitals and factories ,not road work!..
ANGEL

United States

#2 Apr 16, 2009
Oversight....oversight
HEAVYWEIGHT

United States

#4 Apr 16, 2009
I really can't beleive anyone is giving money to east hartford...in the paper last week it was reported that the police dept also received money...CHIEF SIROUS was quoted in the newspaper...

I just shake my head...I cannot beleive SIROUS is still on the job...

Shake my head...hard to believe!.
Corey Matthews

United States

#5 Apr 16, 2009
what about the 1-84 expansion from Cheshire to the Brass Mill Center in waterbury....yeah..the state doesnt want to get involved with another 1-84 construction project in that area huh.
Reality Check

Newington, CT

#6 Apr 16, 2009
cameo35 wrote:
..The DOT won't hire anymore than what they have. The same workers will still keep on working. Laborers and truckers, WoW! big deal! How about the real trades like Pipefitters, electricains,millrights ,tin knockers ,plumbers,boilermakers ,ironworkers, and then some.We need real projects like powerhouses and hospitals and factories ,not road work!..
I did not realize there was such a thing as a real or unreal trade? Hmmmp...
NEs Rising Shell

Ellington, CT

#7 Apr 16, 2009
Nobody can apply for "shovel ready" government projects faster than Connecticut's bloated public bureaucracies.

To Angel's point, getting them done right....not so good.

The funds will be spent paying existing state workers overtime. New jobs? I'll believe 'em when I see 'em.

And if the construction company bosses are halfway smart, they already live in Florida 6 months and 1 day out of every year, enough to keep their business profits from going back to Hartford.
Waldo 313

Marietta, GA

#8 Apr 16, 2009
A large part of this money will be spent on hiring cops for traffic duty. As you know, in CT you need a cop for any work in, or near, the road. At upwards of $75/hr and a minimum 4 or 8 hour callup, this gets really expensive. Her in Georgia, cops aren't needed. So more of the money wil be spent for its intended purpose.
Reality Check

Newington, CT

#9 Apr 16, 2009
Waldo 313 wrote:
A large part of this money will be spent on hiring cops for traffic duty. As you know, in CT you need a cop for any work in, or near, the road. At upwards of $75/hr and a minimum 4 or 8 hour callup, this gets really expensive. Her in Georgia, cops aren't needed. So more of the money wil be spent for its intended purpose.
Sworn Police are needed because you will not slow down in the work zone.
Pat

Manchester, CT

#10 Apr 16, 2009
After all these paving jobs are done Connecticut's economy will be better than ever!
PLD

West Hartford, CT

#11 Apr 16, 2009
There are no projects on the Excel spreadsheet you link us to on the front page. Help!
bam bam

United States

#12 Apr 16, 2009
So if you're in the paving business, you're in fat city. What about contractors that aren't in the paving business?
Drones

United States

#13 Apr 16, 2009
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
Sworn Police are needed because you will not slow down in the work zone.
oh comon. those police are useless. they stand around and watch the other guys watch the other guys work,(productivity No 1 in USA!) sit in their cruisers, rarely a speeder do they stop. Your tax dollars at rest. enjoy.
FAV

East Hartford, CT

#14 Apr 16, 2009
Two giveaways in and around that cancer on the land called Buckland Mall. Why not put those investments in the cities. {After all the malls destroyed city businesses and the Feds played ball by building these special roads to take you to Developers Gold Mine Inc, national mall owners}.
todays sarcasm

Long Beach, NY

#15 Apr 16, 2009
Get your asphalt tampers ready boys, We're going to work!
Richard

United States

#16 Apr 16, 2009
I guess we can figure out who has the most political pull these days; those are the people whose projects got the funding.

Isn't it wonderful that Uncle Sam can take the money of our fellow citizens in Alaska, New Mexico, Missouri, Alabama, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Tennessee, among other states, and whisk it our way with nary a chance for any of those citizens to ask:

"Why is our tax money going to Connecticut?"

Ah, yes, the power of the federal government ... to lavish its cash on whomever it likes.

What happens when the teat is withdrawn?
Richard

United States

#17 Apr 16, 2009
The other good thing about the federal money, of course, is that politicians don't have to degrade themselves by asking the people to endorse taxing more or borrowing more.

No, sirree, Uncle Sam just creates it out of thin air.

Ain't it grand ... while it lasts.
Reality Check

Newington, CT

#18 Apr 16, 2009
Drones wrote:
<quoted text> oh comon. those police are useless. they stand around and watch the other guys watch the other guys work,(productivity No 1 in USA!) sit in their cruisers, rarely a speeder do they stop. Your tax dollars at rest. enjoy.
You only see a brief portion of the work day...when you drive through. I suggest you work out on the road for a week, then let me know how you feel.
FeggeTime

Cheshire, CT

#19 Apr 16, 2009
We will rush, piss this away on cockamayme projects and on graft and corruption.

Let's take our time, critically and objectively evaluate where it's going and police the heck out of how it's spent.
Brandon

Valley Farms, AZ

#20 Apr 16, 2009
I find it funny so many here are sayign they will use the same workers. These rpojects are overseen by CTDOT they aren't done by them. All these jobs will be done by private contractors for the state not by the state itself, so yes this will help the economy. Also to the chucklehead above who asked why there were no real trades let me know when you want a job on a paving crew adn think you can handle 130 degree temps for 8 to 12 hours a day while being on your feet adn inhaling deisel and asphalt fumes...the job is yours for the taking big man.
Tim

Wethersfield, CT

#21 Apr 16, 2009
Of course the DOT uses the money for paving when other states are using it for rail. Jodi Rell and this state are just in a timeward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snow plowing Mar 15 Joanie 1
Looking for a Wilson santiago Mar 11 KING9771 1
News Volunteers Needed for Tax Preparation Assistance (Nov '14) Mar 9 BenjiMarshall 3
Plainville pervert arrested (Sep '16) Mar 4 Concerned citizen 4
News 'My Bar' To Move (Mar '08) Feb '17 Ryan R 45
News Newington preschooler left on school bus, again (Sep '08) Feb '17 America Gentleman... 33
New Britain Music Thread (Apr '14) Feb '17 Musikologist 6

Berlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berlin Mortgages