To Avoid Layoffs, Some Companies Turn to Work-Sharing

Jun 15, 2009 | Posted by: Iria | Full story: www.nytimes.com

As companies struggle to make it from recession to recovery, many are turning to a novel but unheralded program that cuts their costs while sparing their workers’ jobs.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Sep 7, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

It's nice to share. Didn't we learn that in kindergarten?
Duh Vinci

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 15, 2009
 
Isn't that independant contract labor?
Duh Vinci

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 15, 2009
 
So the companies have to do some work too?
Duh Vinci

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 15, 2009
 
Or a Mexican pickup after the union workers are laid off..
Duh Vinci

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 15, 2009
 
PooPoo Platter wrote:
It's nice to share. Didn't we learn that in kindergarten?
Who will share with Frankenstein? From Transylvania?
Duh Vinci

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 15, 2009
 
PooPoo Platter wrote:
It's nice to share. Didn't we learn that in kindergarten?
Maybe Selma Bartlett will share?
Duh Vinci

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 15, 2009
 
Is that like a gas exchange?
Lance Winslow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Yup, some work gets shared with China, some work gets shared with Mexico...

“Headlines are for commerce...”

Since: Feb 09

Sicily, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 16, 2009
 

Judged:

1

no, I guess when you are a high pay IT proffesional you do the same job for 20% pay and keep 2 janitors employed with their 20% pay, again with their full janitorial work.

Do you expect that janitors will clean only 20% of restrooms or IT professionals will check 20% of computers?
Les Claypool

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 16, 2009
 

Judged:

3

Sounds logical to me. I would use my spare time off to find a better job.
A Perspective

Oscoda, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 16, 2009
 

Judged:

1

How about four-day weeks? Cuttin out overtime pay, for say, one year or so? No paid lunches. No uniforms for one year.

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 16, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

A Perspective wrote:
How about four-day weeks? Cuttin out overtime pay, for say, one year or so? No paid lunches. No uniforms for one year.
Sometimes I wonder if the hard times companies are moaning about are real. Where I work we've gotten the "woe is me" speeches from management and how tough things are and how raises will probably not happen and how lay-offs might happen. No holidays parties this year, no unnecessary expenses.

So, I offered up a suggestion. I came up with the idea of letting everyone, on a voluntary basis, take one unpaid day off a month. That won't kill anyone, but it would save the company a lot of money. They weren't interested. Didn't even grunt at the suggestion.

I'm of the opinion that all this bitching and moaning is just to get people to work harder for less. Companies aren't hurting that bad. They can still pay multi-million dollar salaries to those at the top. All this crying about money is just the latest fad.
A Perspective

Oscoda, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 16, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Donna Atlanta GA wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes I wonder if the hard times companies are moaning about are real. Where I work we've gotten the "woe is me" speeches from management and how tough things are and how raises will probably not happen and how lay-offs might happen. No holidays parties this year, no unnecessary expenses.
So, I offered up a suggestion. I came up with the idea of letting everyone, on a voluntary basis, take one unpaid day off a month. That won't kill anyone, but it would save the company a lot of money. They weren't interested. Didn't even grunt at the suggestion.
I'm of the opinion that all this bitching and moaning is just to get people to work harder for less. Companies aren't hurting that bad. They can still pay multi-million dollar salaries to those at the top. All this crying about money is just the latest fad.
You know Donna, I have already considered that mentality myself. A good excuse and opportunity to cut corners and save money, for the upper echelon sector. I also wonder if it isn't some conspiracy against the Obama adminstration, not to help or expedite the fixing of the economy. There's a lot of people that aren't interested in him "succeeding". The prior comment I made, is to the companies that are sincerely hurting, and trying to help their employees through the lousy economy. There has to be some honest ones out there, companies, that is.
Les Claypool

Fairfield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 16, 2009
 
I've always viewed the company/employee relationship like this: companies are in the buisness of making money. If they don't make money, I don't have a job. Their perfect situation is to have me working 24/7 for free. It's up to me and the market to decide home much my time and tallent is worth. It's nothing personal and emotions are never be a factor.

“Tell the Truth”

Since: Nov 07

Orlando, Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 16, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Les Claypool wrote:
I've always viewed the company/employee relationship like this: companies are in the buisness of making money. If they don't make money, I don't have a job. Their perfect situation is to have me working 24/7 for free. It's up to me and the market to decide home much my time and tallent is worth. It's nothing personal and emotions are never be a factor.
Like everything else in this current way of life - humanity means nothing.
A Perspective

Oscoda, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 16, 2009
 
Les Claypool wrote:
I've always viewed the company/employee relationship like this: companies are in the buisness of making money. If they don't make money, I don't have a job. Their perfect situation is to have me working 24/7 for free. It's up to me and the market to decide home much my time and tallent is worth. It's nothing personal and emotions are never be a factor.
That sounds great, however, a company can't be a company without employees. Employees are also interested in making money. Your statement is totally one-sided. Notice how the "employees" should always be paid the least, and of course, corporate America and businesses always think they deserve the "most" of salaries. Funny, but I've never met a CEO who felt he should work for Chinese wages or slave labor. They always seem to think they are worth millions--automatically. Seems when they come out of college, they feel "entitled" to it. If they don't get the kind of wages or salaries they like, they scam the company coffers. There are way more Bernie Madoffs out there, I believe.

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 16, 2009
 
If companies have any sense, they'll implement these kinds of strategies. Unfortunately, my employer doesn't believe in innovation, thinking outside the box, or being people-friendly. I fully expect to one day be shown the door, and that'll be fine with me.

Give me a severance and I'd go now!

Willingly!
Don

San Diego, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 16, 2009
 
cut my hours and make up it up with state money for my full wage.

where do I sign up!! sounds like party summer to me.

"Under the program, known as work-sharing, employers reduce their workers’ weekly hours and pay, often by 20 or 40 percent, and then states make up some of the lost wages, usually half, from their unemployment funds."

with my luck it would just be a layoff "don't call us we will call you."
crazy ox3thong

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 16, 2009
 
PooPoo Platter wrote:
It's nice to share. Didn't we learn that in kindergarten?
does the teler or banker share yo^ 401K ?:-0
crazy ox3thong

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jun 16, 2009
 
Duh Vinci wrote:
Is that like a gas exchange?
fundING share! share with bond n note :-0

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Berlin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Berlin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Berlin News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Berlin
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••