Downturn: Berlin Turnpike Motels Repo...

Downturn: Berlin Turnpike Motels Report Record High Vacancies

There are 156 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 1, 2008, titled Downturn: Berlin Turnpike Motels Report Record High Vacancies. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Vyto Treciokas will cut you a deal on a room at the Terra Motel on the Berlin Turnpike, but he won't rent by the hour.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Less Than Sympathetic

Bristol, CT

#1 Dec 1, 2008
I really always wondered how those motels stay in business. I mean, seriously, talk about supply exceeding demand! It's like driving down Rt 6 in Hyannis, except tourists flock to Cape Cod, and I can't quite picture tourists flocking to Newington and Berlin. Now that the economy has siezed up, these motels will sit abandoned and boarded up. That should look real nice.
Will

Durham, CT

#2 Dec 1, 2008
In the days before I-91 the Berlin Tpke was the route from Boston to New York, it was heavily traveled and the motels did a good business. After I-91 went through there was really no need for them any longer, then they started catering to a different clientel, a lot of them by the hour. Still, it's a shame to see these businesses go under.
Edit Er

Harwinton, CT

#3 Dec 1, 2008
"In the 1950s, businessmen rented rooms and hit the nearby miniature golf courses in their spare time."

I was wondering if the reporter might be so kind as to tell us the source for this information? Or is it more Courant happy time filler?

Also, is it a slow news cycle or is the Courant once again filled with nothing?
Good News

Old Lyme, CT

#5 Dec 1, 2008
Good....maybe these run down eyesores will fold so a more appropriate use can be found for their building sites.
Wasn't it a year ago that the Courtant ran a big expose telling of the rampant prostitution taking place in these dumps?.
Who would ever have though that they would be whining over their demise now.....ha ha ha. Hypocrites one and all
Will

Durham, CT

#6 Dec 1, 2008
Edit Er wrote:
"In the 1950s, businessmen rented rooms and hit the nearby miniature golf courses in their spare time."
I was wondering if the reporter might be so kind as to tell us the source for this information? Or is it more Courant happy time filler?
To comment on your last sentence, the Courant is as usual, empty with nothing. What a waste of money for this rag, when my subscription is up I'll be cancelling.
ggggggggggeeeeee eeezzze

Waterbury, CT

#7 Dec 1, 2008
Bring back the hookers .......

The reason these hotels are vacant is no one is looking for a good time anymore.
unmoved

West Hartford, CT

#10 Dec 1, 2008
Edit Er wrote:
I think the motel users were not "hitting" the mini golf course, they were "hitting" something else with their putters.
Timmay

East Hartford, CT

#11 Dec 1, 2008
That's what section 8 is for....
Angry Voter

Newington, CT

#12 Dec 1, 2008
With all the good things happening in Newington, this is what The Courant decides to report? You have to wonder how often they pay these Motels a visit or are they looking for company during a time of misery.
NEs Rising Shell

Ellington, CT

#13 Dec 1, 2008
Good News wrote:
Good....maybe these run down eyesores will fold so a more appropriate use can be found for their building sites.
Wasn't it a year ago that the Courtant ran a big expose telling of the rampant prostitution taking place in these dumps?.
Who would ever have though that they would be whining over their demise now.....ha ha ha. Hypocrites one and all
Actually, last year's expose took place at a big-name chain hotel in Vernon. Where they'll rent by the hour but charge by the day, and give you points too!
Steve V

Beacon Falls, CT

#15 Dec 1, 2008
Tje Berline Turnpike was once an area of high prostitution and sex services. That helped fuel thier business for years.
Memories

White Plains, NY

#16 Dec 1, 2008
unmoved wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the motel users were not "hitting" the mini golf course, they were "hitting" something else with their putters.
Yah, when I was a kid - that was thee only place to take a date for a couple of hours. Now what are the youths and 'day trippers' gonna do??
Raucous

White Plains, NY

#17 Dec 1, 2008
I hope this is not true, I can't afford to take my John's all the way out to Manchester.
When are they go to finish that new hotel across from Ghandi Plaza - it's been two years since the fire?
Howard

AOL

#18 Dec 1, 2008
Just looking at Vyto sit on that bed spread gives me the Hee Bee Jee Bee's. The germs.

How are they staying open on 5 guests a week? I see a lovely CVS or Walgreens in they're place. Perhaps a state bailout?

Your Accountant

White Plains, NY

#19 Dec 1, 2008
You hang-in there Vyto. When thousands are homeless because they've lost their jobs and mortgages .... there will be a waiting list to stay in your roach motel.
--Need an investment partner ??
keith

Newington, CT

#20 Dec 1, 2008
wow ... why not do a story on prostitution or mini-golf? What is this crap?
THC

White Plains, NY

#21 Dec 1, 2008
keith wrote:
wow ... why not do a story on prostitution or mini-golf? What is this crap?
Kieth - We've been running stories on prostitution and human trafficing.
...Don't you read the Advocate??
Marc Vincent Russo

Burlington, VT

#22 Dec 1, 2008
Maybe all of the hookers have moved their business elsewhere. Even they are affected by the market! Who else uses those motels?
Somewhere in CT

Newington, CT

#23 Dec 1, 2008
Will wrote:
<quoted text>To comment on your last sentence, the Courant is as usual, empty with nothing. What a waste of money for this rag, when my subscription is up I'll be cancelling.
I too will cancel the paper
Smokey

Newington, CT

#24 Dec 1, 2008
I had some of the best times of my life in those places . It seemed like half of Newington High School would spend a night or 2 in those places on the weekends weather it be for a keg party or a screaming competition and my girls won on many of those nights .We once saw two of are teachers checking into the USA motel.LOL!!! I recently took a trip down memory lane at the carrier motel.We got the corner room with the hot tub and even though it was one hell of a night the place was disgusting !!! There were cigarette burns in the Hot Tub,holes in the walls,a door that had been kicked in many times and the list go`s on. It needed some big time TLC. And to top it off They were Charging over 100 dollars a night . I`m not saying that I`ll never go back again but I paid the same price at the Holiday Inn Express in down town Hartford and they even through in a breakfast. They should all drop there rates or spend a little and fix em up or the big chains will be getting most of the business . I would love to see some of the chain hotels take these places over and do something nice with them but after reading this article and all of the comments there after . It just ain't gonna happen !!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drivers in rocky hill Aug 3 Joni 2
Review: Floors Now (Aug '11) Jul '16 Mrs Iacobucci 3
PZC meeting on firearms store Jul '16 Dogmother 2
News FBI at Carabetta Office Building on Center and ... (Jun '11) Jul '16 been there 21
News Bill Would Raise Penalties For Careless Drivers... Jun '16 ffctguitar 3
News Word Watch: How To Pronounce Connecticut Words (Jun '08) Apr '16 Fairfield guy 10
News Teacher's Aide At Berlin High Arrested (May '07) Feb '16 Never 7

Berlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berlin Mortgages