Berlin's Electric Rates Become Highest In Europe

Oct 27, 2013 Full story: Forbes.com 7

The good people of Berlin pay more for electricity than residents of any other major city in the European Union, according to the Household Energy Price Index for Europe .

Full Story
HW Pope

Long Beach, CA

#1 Oct 28, 2013
It really makes you wonder why people don't install solar PV system. There are more installations in Germany than in any other country-- meaning those smart people pay little or nothing while all the rest have to make up the difference. The system and fixed costs never go away, but they have to get spread over a smaller and smaller base of paying customers. I retired from a major electric utility 10 years ago and during the energy crisis of 2001 we had a saying: "The last man standing owes it all". Think about it.

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#2 Oct 28, 2013
HW Pope wrote:
It really makes you wonder why people don't install solar PV system. There are more installations in Germany than in any other country-- meaning those smart people pay little or nothing while all the rest have to make up the difference. The system and fixed costs never go away, but they have to get spread over a smaller and smaller base of paying customers. I retired from a major electric utility 10 years ago and during the energy crisis of 2001 we had a saying: "The last man standing owes it all". Think about it.
The sun doesn`t shine at night, fool.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#3 Oct 28, 2013
HW Pope wrote:
"The price customers pay per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of electricity varies by as much as 127% across these 23 countries." Germany decided the way to bring solar PV into the forefront was to use feed in tariffs. Good plan for those who adopted solar PV, bad for long term electric rate stability. Most of the net metering programs here in the States are using the standard rate or lowest tier of the rate structure to account for extra power a solar PV system puts into the grid each day. Here the utilities are crying foul, saying the line and maintenance charges are being not paid by the solar PV homeowner/generator. The utilities also don't take into account "avoided" costs and this is NOT given back to the ratepayers who have not installed solar PV on their roofs. If these seven figured salary CEOs want to be "fair" then the costs the utility doesn't have to pay should also be considered and given back to the ratepayers who don't have solar PV on their roofs.
Robert A

Decatur, TN

#5 Nov 11, 2013
Who cares?
Germany sucks balls

Mainz, Germany

#6 Nov 11, 2013
Why would anyone want to live in Germany? There is not a single good point about germania, now it is clear that even the electricity is overpriced...
Robert A

Decatur, TN

#7 Nov 12, 2013
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
The sun doesn`t shine at night, fool.
Or on a cloudy day either and unless you have (batteries) to go with those solar panels for power at night then what good is a solar panel any way?
tarmo

Tallinn, Estonia

#8 Feb 2, 2014
Robert A wrote:
<quoted text>Or on a cloudy day either and unless you have (batteries) to go with those solar panels for power at night then what good is a solar panel any way?
You don't need to use fossil fuels or grid electricity to heat your house.
You don't need to use fossil fuels or grid electricity to heat your water.
You can wash your dishes and clothes when the sun is shining.
You can use solar concentration to cook dinner.
The rest of the electricity use is peanuts.
And if you also have batteries, you can laugh all your way home while the rest suffer from grid collapse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) 7 hr Menstruous stench 808
Cheshire Police Blotter: Aug. 19-24 (Aug '13) 18 hr roas 6
Gangstalking and Harassment (Jan '13) Sep 25 A Special Place I... 328
Trail Has Bad End (Nov '07) Sep 23 John Wilkinson 52
The Amusing History Of Savin Rock, From 1870 To... (Jul '07) Sep 22 Strayer 89
Wright Upsets Klett For Mayor; Republicans Win ... (Nov '07) Sep 15 football coach 85
New Britain Music Thread Sep 13 Musikologist 2
Berlin Dating
Find my Match

Berlin Jobs

Berlin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Berlin News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Berlin

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]