Connecticut News - State, National an...

Connecticut News - State, National and Local News from The Hart...

There are 124 comments on the Hartford Courant story from May 11, 2007, titled Connecticut News - State, National and Local News from The Hart.... In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

An online dalliance gone bad between the PTO president and an out-of-state insurance salesman provoked the posting of state police outside a town elementary school and fears from frantic residents worried about ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Hartford, CT

#1 May 11, 2007
This PTO parent I think sounds like she has a little less upstairs and is playing victim. She is as much at fault as Diaz is.This should of never been brought into Hes. She should also be rempved as a PTO member and ashamed of what she caused at the school and to all these parents!
Concerned Parent

Hartford, CT

#2 May 11, 2007
This PTO parent I think sounds like she has a little less upstairs and is playing victim. She is as much at fault as Diaz is.This should of never been brought into Hes. She should also be rempoved as a PTO member and ashamed of what she caused at the school and to all these parents and our children!
Haddam Parent

AOL

#3 May 11, 2007
Shame on her for compromising our safety!What was she thinking!She has brought much fear and disgrace to our community!
Haddam Town resident

Cambridge, MA

#4 May 11, 2007
Shame on both of you. Yes it was a stupid mistake, but from reading your positngs I have to assume the two of you have never, ever done something stupid.
Haddam Parent

AOL

#5 May 11, 2007
Haddam Town resident wrote:
Shame on both of you. Yes it was a stupid mistake, but from reading your positngs I have to assume the two of you have never, ever done something stupid.
Done more than one stupid thing in a lifetime but not enough to endanger children and piece of mind to enter a local buisness without thinking twice.When you accept a responsiblity as a parent and PTO officer you should in fact be setting an example on both levels.
Judah Rosenthal

United States

#6 May 11, 2007
They sound like 2 idiots. But once she said "forget it," he shouldn't still move in 2 miles away from her. She may have led him on but that's the foolish risk he took. Now he's the one acting like a psycho.

But if he really made threats against her, then where are the criminal charges? Meanwhile, considering how he gave up everything supposedly on her word, she might consider defusing the situation by moving out of town so he doesn't find her, and certainly stop frequenting the HES and daycare she ran. Use the divorce to change her name so he doesn't track her down.

She ought to take some responsibility for the danger she has lured to town, even if the man is a criminal to the extent that the danger is real. Its an injustice that she should flee, but unless she has evidence that can actually lock him up forever, its about all that is left for her to do if this pseudo-3rd-divorce isn't to bring disaster to herself or the community.

Too bad, but I don't believe the police or justice system can really protect her, only charge him after he commits a crime, which he does seem likely to do. So its either vigilante pre-emptive strike against him or move out and change her name. If she's really really right that he's threatening her, and it looks like she can't live hidden for the rest of her life, its time for her to lure him into a situation where she can kill him and claim self-defense. Sick I know, but so far I haven't read any better solutions in this article or thread. Woody Allen solved a similar problem in "Crimes and Misdemeanors."
Haddam parent

United States

#7 May 12, 2007
This woman is a nut - I am personally going to start a petition to have her removed from the PTO and from anything that she does in town. Hopefully she will move away and change her name. She is already shamed in this town and should leave.
Haddam Town resident

Cambridge, MA

#8 May 12, 2007
You seem to think she was smart enough to have thought this entire thing through. You also seem to think that she deliberately endanged the children & she hasn't been humiliated enough by what happened.

Haddam parent: I assume you have met and talked with her. Does she seem malicious by nature? Or is she perhaps a very caring parent that isn't very bright. Are you planning to replace her, by the way? I'd shine up your resume, present it & expect if anything awful ever happens to you or your husband that it will paraded all over town publically.

I'd suggest you give her a chance to resign by herself. I'd guess those closest to her have talked to her about this.

Yes this was some wort of special stupid. Yes she bears 50% responsibliry.

Hand her her head and let her do the right thing. That leaves her with a small shred of dignity.
Fed Up Parent of student

Groton, CT

#9 May 12, 2007
I would love to sign the petition! As alot of other parents would.I think her situation is unfortunate but someone of these morals does not belong with our children! The administration of the school and town need to get there act together and stop lying and hiding things from the parents. These are our children and there safety and future is our top priority !
Haddam Town resident

Cambridge, MA

#10 May 12, 2007
Hand her her head and let her do the right thing. That leaves her with a small shred of dignity.
Higganum - HES Parent

Groton, CT

#11 May 12, 2007
Brenda did think of our children when she told the administration what was going on, for that I commend her. To the administration that didn't make her step down and then put our children in harms way and embarrass the residents of Haddam, shame on you!!I think it's time for some new policies in our district!:(
Me from Haddam

Avon, CT

#12 May 12, 2007
I don't commend the two time divorcee. Fire the bitch and get rid of her from the PTO. Hopefull, she will move out of town to hide her face from shame.
CT Mom

Granby, CT

#13 May 13, 2007
Why all the secrecy from the Town and Administrators?

It sounds like the school personnel handled this badly. How patronizing -- they "misdirected" parents? I'll bet these are the same administrators that prattle on with character ed and honesty to our kids.

Show some backbone. If there is a nut out there threatening my kids, tell me exactly what you know and what threats have been made. I'd like to think that I can make my own decisions about the safety of a school situation for my own kids.

It's fine for the police chief to say he's sending his own daughter to the school. That might alleviate my concerns as a parent. But please, be honest and forthright with parents about what you know and don't know.

Don't lie to us -- the troopers in front of the school are catching speeders. Really! That's the real disgrace here.
mae

AOL

#14 May 13, 2007
Was this the HARPER VALLEY PTA?

She is not an employee of the school, merely a volunteer.

When she gets paid, like the rest of the tax-paid people at school, maybe they will accept her as an equal and let her have the same 'perks' they do.

Recently,in Woostock,a couple of administrators, translate ' even mo' money' were finally fired, I don't know with or without pay,or pensions; school is funny, they usually pay them to stay home, sort of like suspending the kids for skipping?

This firing was done after he beat up his wife in a drunken rage, and had to go to court and the girl friend kept driving by..don't know if any of them were PTO members..

For now, the publicity is punishment enough for this particular president, even Clinton didn't fare this badly, and he was a co-president of the US.
Safety is the Only Issue

Forestdale, MA

#15 May 14, 2007
"Let he that is without sin, cast the first stone" The real issue is the safety of the students. Let the police and the school district do their jobs and if that isn't good enough for you, keep your kid home.
Jazzy Black

United States

#16 May 14, 2007
Let me get this straight.This man is married with five children leaves his wife and life behind to come to a small town,where he is not wanted .Rents a apt 2 miles from the x girlfriend ruins her reputation,job and tells the whole town private things in their relationship,and none of you in this small community are sticking by one of your own .You all should be ashamed of yourselves and kick this guys butt all the way back to washington.
Jazzy Black

United States

#17 May 14, 2007
Let me get this straight.This man is married with five children leaves his wife and life behind to come to a small town,where he is not welcome.He rents an apt 2 miles away to harrass her and her children. He ruins her reputation,job,and tells the whole town about personal things in their relationship.All of you in this small community should be sticking by one of your own,and kick this guys butt all the way back to Washington.
hacker

United States

#18 May 14, 2007
I have known Mrs.Nixon personally and professionally for many years.she is a kind,caring,and very intelligent woman.If you live in that small community then you know her heart is big,she donates her time and helps at almost all functions.Her main focus always is children.If you live in this town then she some how has touched your child.You all should rally around this fine women and help her get her life back she deserves it.
Donna

South Dennis, MA

#19 May 14, 2007
Jazzy Black wrote:
Let me get this straight.This man is married with five children leaves his wife and life behind to come to a small town,where he is not wanted .Rents a apt 2 miles from the x girlfriend ruins her reputation,job and tells the whole town private things in their relationship,and none of you in this small community are sticking by one of your own .You all should be ashamed of yourselves and kick this guys butt all the way back to washington.
I am disgusted will all of this! Why is "SHE" being the one attacked? She did nothing wrong. She was in the process of getting divorced, obviously it was OVER...she was trying to move on...she realized this Diaz guy wasn't for her...he moves here and starts harrassing her...and all everyone can do is bash her. How about him? I agree w/Jazzy Black! Why isn't anybody attacking this guy? He is clearly the one here who is psycho! He is the reason why there are troopers stationed at the school...he is the one causing this stir in town.
Hes-parent

United States

#20 May 14, 2007
This could happen to any one of us. Would we all want are private lives in the papers?How disgusting?? Leave this women alone.She did the right thing notifying the school in case of a dangerous situation.She could of said nothing, then what ??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FBI at Carabetta Office Building on Center and ... (Jun '11) Nov 8 stagdick 26
Southwick & Meister (Mar '13) Nov 6 Ellena 8
Missing Oct '17 Nicoleamaro 1
Cromwell-the most racist town in CT (Jun '10) Sep '17 Diversity Dude 32
News Her disease and a special friendship (Jun '08) Sep '17 Linda 11
News DEA, state police crack down on 'outlaw motorcy... (Dec '05) Aug '17 Damnyankee 201
News Word Watch: How To Pronounce Connecticut Words (Jun '08) Apr '16 Fairfield guy 10

Berlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berlin Mortgages