Years Of Violations And Violence

When Gerard "Chappy" Chapdelaine was arrested in October after an altercation with his teenage girlfriend, he turned to his longtime lawyer Wesley Spears for help. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Bored

United States

#1 Nov 26, 2007
Why is this knucklehead the victim in this article? Obliviously he was not going to change his behavior. He did not believe that he had done anything wrong and did not deserve to go to prison. Thousands of people in this state believe this is how relationships are supposed to work. Lets keep them all locked up to protect the rest of us. Keep children away from them so they are not exposed to this ridiculous behavior exhibited by both of their parents. The children witness this behavior and then grow up learning to treat their partner the same way. Until society stops allowing indiscriminate breeding, the police are going to show up to these houses and ask.“So who hit you, your husband?”“No, your boyfriend?” Oh, it was your baby’s daddy.”“Is he the father of all five of your children?”“Let me get this straight. The first and the third have the same father but the second, fourth, and fifth are all by different men.” As always, the Courant has all the answers and gives you your opinion.
jon

Cranston, RI

#2 Nov 26, 2007
Bored wrote:
Why is this knucklehead the victim in this article? Obliviously he was not going to change his behavior. He did not believe that he had done anything wrong and did not deserve to go to prison. Thousands of people in this state believe this is how relationships are supposed to work. Lets keep them all locked up to protect the rest of us. Keep children away from them so they are not exposed to this ridiculous behavior exhibited by both of their parents. The children witness this behavior and then grow up learning to treat their partner the same way. Until society stops allowing indiscriminate breeding, the police are going to show up to these houses and ask.“So who hit you, your husband?”“No, your boyfriend?” Oh, it was your baby’s daddy.”“Is he the father of all five of your children?”“Let me get this straight. The first and the third have the same father but the second, fourth, and fifth are all by different men.” As always, the Courant has all the answers and gives you your opinion.
Well OF COURSE he was the victim. He got shot, right? Seriously, it's a sad day when newspapers write articles about murderers and refer to them as victims. I grew up in Hartford and don't have multiple baby mommas (I only have a fiance)and most of the people I associate with are in similar situations. I have known several people from broken homes and housing projects who aren't criminals, so why is that always the excuse? Some of the greatest people in this country have come from the worst situations. A rough childhood or life is no excuse to be a murderer. I have no pitty for "chappy" or anyone like him.
Red Onion Guy

Burlington, MA

#3 Nov 26, 2007
Stop this yellow journalism. It is OVER!!!!!!!!!!
JeG

Southington, CT

#5 Nov 26, 2007
Here is another situation where State employees didn't do their job.
Because they dropped the ball 2 people are dead, because they didn't have the paperwork.
Same thing happened to the 2 killers in the home invasion. The State worker did't have the paperwork.
They certainly get paid enough and get great benefits, so why do the slackers get the state jobs. Shame on this state.

“Shawnzo”

Since: Mar 07

Norfolk, MA

#6 Nov 26, 2007
I worked with battered women years ago and it still amazes me that no one takes violence against women seriously. He had such a long history of this type of violence but repeatedly only got a slap on the wrist. I agree with previous comments, while the "system" failed him as a child, he'e not the victim in this situation. At some point in time, as adults, we make choices about how we want to be, what we want our lives to look like. Obviously, his choice was not to address his issues and take it out on the women in his life.
George

Newington, CT

#7 Nov 26, 2007
JeG wrote:
Because they dropped the ball 2 people are dead, because they didn't have the paperwork.
Same thing happened to the 2 killers in the home invasion. The State worker did't have the paperwork.
They certainly get paid enough and get great benefits, so why do the slackers get the state jobs. Shame on this state.
Same thing in Newington. 2 are dead because someone wasn't doing their job.
Rich

Newington, CT

#8 Nov 26, 2007
Children abandoned,people breeding like doggies in heat,courts deciding who can or cannot see their children,unemployment,underemp loyment,monthly court dates,outrageous child support payments,no direction,wrong direction,no role models,drinking,drugs,violance ,murder,suicide by cop.
What a mess!
Larry the Cable Guy

New London, CT

#9 Nov 26, 2007
JeG wrote:
Boo-Hoo-Hoo-... Some nut job goes off the deep end and OF COURSE it is the STATES fault .... HOW ABOUT PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY .... this guy knew what he was doing and it was HE that is responsible for that poor womans death NOT THE STATE ...HE pulled the trigger ... the courant has again shown it's true colors by making the violent nut case the "VICTEM" and placing the blame on the big bad State
Disgusted

Hartford, CT

#10 Nov 26, 2007
He was a low life scum bag. And the girlfriend who was no angel either is partly to blame for her mothers death. They refused to go to a shelter for their own safety and look what happened. But to talk about what a rough childhood this guy had isn't going to change anything. He was a woman beater but it sounds like the girlfriend was also a man beater. So now let her share the blame for two people being dead. Also probation always says they didn't have the paperwork, please let's stop passing the buck and start doing our jobs.
Rome Burning

AOL

#11 Nov 26, 2007
I feel sorry for Chappy's two kids who will never grow up to fully know their father. I think Chappy just got some bad breaks.

This story is all about dysfunction. Chappy was raised by clowns, so Chappy grows up to be a clown. Sadly so will the two kids he had. This is the future of our country. Who will play Chappy in the movie?
City Pity

Hartford, CT

#12 Nov 26, 2007
I agree with Rich's sentiments....there are only two people who really created this mess...his mommy and daddy. Wake up America. This is going to be our headlines from here on out....the weak/poor/drug addicted criminals are breeding fast and furiously and they're headed our way !!! The Courant can paint any picture they like of "Chappy"....we ain't buying it....and STOP blaming the cops...they can't possibly keep us safe from ALL the animals that have overtaken our streets.
hartford resident

United States

#13 Nov 26, 2007
I hope both victims rest in peace. To the Coley Family, please be strong and learn from this tragic event. Although you have lost your mother, she would be happier if you all gain strength and continue your lives according to God's will.
Venus Envy

Hartford, CT

#14 Nov 26, 2007
Jahmesha Williams ought to be tried for murder as well. She lost her mother and her child's father because she lacked the maturity, upbringing and character to be a productive member of society. Instead, she bred with a man and gave birth to a hostage to her hell. Nice thing to do to a child, bring one into the world when you have no means to raise one. Shame Shame on Jahmesha
Democrat for Life

United States

#15 Nov 26, 2007
What pushed him over the edge?? I have a better question.. Why is this newsworthy??
Error

United States

#17 Nov 26, 2007
Does anyone know of a good website which has recipes for turkey leftovers?

DJH

“Thinking critically since 1964”

Since: Mar 07

Winsted, CT

#18 Nov 26, 2007
We already know why "Chappy" did what he did. He was a sociopath. That's not in question, it's obvious. The more pertinent question is, instead, "Why did he become a sociopath?". This is a much larger question and there are no easy answers. We could delve into his past and, maybe, discern some key even in his life that triggered his sociopathy, but what good would it do anyone, now?

None. It won't bring anyone back to life, nor will it tell us how to prevent anyone else from becoming a sociopath, since his individual "trigger" won't be the same for others.

A better question to ask would be, "How do we prevent people from becoming sociopathic?" There are many ways to go about this, but the assumption that we can prevent sociopathy is not yet in evidence. What makes more sense is to deal with it when it becomes evident that someone is a sociopath.

One way NOT to deal with sociopathy is to treat sociopaths as victims. This just opens the door for them to manipulate others, and indulges their sociopathy rather than controlling it. Any form of "negotiation" with sociopaths only gives them MORE power, not less; and what they need is to have less power (hopefully, none!).

As for how to make sociopaths into non-sociopaths, that's also not clear. Again, however, speculating on this is not as fruitful as simply controlling the sociopathic behavior itself. Make it so that the sociopath chooses not to be sociopathic. Or, once s/he has been sociopathic, remove them from society so that they no longer have any opportunity to be sociopathic.

That is why "recidivism" historically has been considered a crime in itself; but we have forgotten how to treat it that way. We need to recall this lesson and act on it.
luap

United States

#19 Nov 26, 2007
Error wrote:
Make a turkey pizza.
Brubaker

Durham, CT

#20 Nov 26, 2007
Error wrote:
The recycled turkey recipes would be more beneficial than this story.
The Courant likes to have people point the fingers at the state and victims but they will not get a Pulitzer with this story.
Laura T

United States

#21 Nov 26, 2007
Open Faced turkey sandwiches with the stuffing and gravy are a great way to use up extra turkey. Here's the site I use for finding good turky lefovers http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Meat-and-Poultr...
Avid Reader

Three Rivers, MA

#22 Nov 26, 2007
People don't live any differently today than they did hundreds of years ago. If you are raised in poverty, for example, like the average factory worker in 1850, then you live in row "factory" houses, they put you to work at age 16, you work all day, sleep all night, drink and fight all weekend, get married and have kids by the time you're 20, and that's life. Only today, we try to look for social causes and invent new diagnoses. It's the same as it's always been, no better, no worse.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Mon Sir Samuel 806
Gangstalking and Harassment (Jan '13) Sep 25 A Special Place I... 328
Trail Has Bad End (Nov '07) Sep 23 John Wilkinson 52
The Amusing History Of Savin Rock, From 1870 To... (Jul '07) Sep 22 Strayer 89
Wright Upsets Klett For Mayor; Republicans Win ... (Nov '07) Sep 15 football coach 85
New Britain Music Thread Sep 13 Musikologist 2
Newington preschooler left on school bus, again (Sep '08) Sep 10 Todd Malinosky 30

Berlin Jobs

Berlin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Berlin News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Berlin

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]