Theft nets couple prison n A husband ...

Theft nets couple prison n A husband and wife embezzled $1.5 millio...

There are 22 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from May 21, 2010, titled Theft nets couple prison n A husband and wife embezzled $1.5 millio.... In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Couples who steal large sums of money from their former employer go to prison. That was the lesson imparted by Berkshire Superior Court Judge Peter A. Velis on Friday, when he sentenced a husband and wife to prison for bilking $1.5 million from O'Connell Oil Associates Inc.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC

Alexandria, VA

#1 May 22, 2010
Another poorly written article by ace Berkshire Eagle reporter Conor Berry.
Mr. Berry writes:

"Gagnon-Vogel skimmed from company receipts to fuel her drug addiction, sometimes stealing up to $1,000 a day, according to law enforcement officials. The wife would pick up deposits from Vogel's store station, then take "large amounts of cash," according to a statement given by David Wesley, OConnell's treasurer, to North Adams Public Safety Commissioner E. John Morocco."

There is no further mention of Mr. Morocco, nor any explanation as to exactly what North Adam's Public Safety Comm. E. John Morocco's connection is to this embezzlement case.

Alexandria, VA

#2 May 22, 2010
Further unanswered by reporter Berry is whether Mr. and Mrs. Vogel will be required to pay back the stolen monies or whether their assets will be seized to cover partial repayment?
You are stupid

Rensselaer, NY

#3 May 22, 2010
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
Further unanswered by reporter Berry is whether Mr. and Mrs. Vogel will be required to pay back the stolen monies or whether their assets will be seized to cover partial repayment?
Heller? Will you just shut up.
brush hill bob

Lebanon, PA

#4 May 22, 2010
gotta go with GMH on this one. i'm no English major, but that article was poorly written.
Sherlock Holmes

Springfield, MA

#5 May 22, 2010
This so called friend mentioned in the beagle article was also involved in this.Did she turn state's rat? She lived beyond her means and had to be involved in this scam.
Corporate greed

Altamont, NY

#6 May 22, 2010
When you consider how much money was stolen versus how long it went on without notice you begin to understand the phenomenal amount of money that passes through these O'Connell outlets.

Hasn't anyone ever wondered why gas prices in the Berkshires are higher than the surrounding areas? Could it be because there are only two suppliers who obviously get together and fix prices?

Corporate greed is never pretty.
huh

Averill Park, NY

#7 May 22, 2010
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
This so called friend mentioned in the beagle article was also involved in this.Did she turn state's rat? She lived beyond her means and had to be involved in this scam.
It seems that if the person who helped end this scheme is to be called a "rat", then I have long held an unfair view of the rodent-apparently it really means to help stop or prosecute a crime,not continue to help the crime along and take responsibility for it. And anyone related to Mickey Mouse cant be all that bad....
tobefrank

Adams, MA

#8 May 22, 2010
I bet R.M. Occonnell Jr. is not too happy about this. Cause they stole more money from the family bussiness than he ever possibly could.They outdid the big thief.
Sherlock Holmes

Springfield, MA

#9 May 22, 2010
huh wrote:
<quoted text> It seems that if the person who helped end this scheme is to be called a "rat", then I have long held an unfair view of the rodent-apparently it really means to help stop or prosecute a crime,not continue to help the crime along and take responsibility for it. And anyone related to Mickey Mouse cant be all that bad....
How wrong you are. The rat or should I say raterous (female rat) only turned on her friends after the three of them were arrested.All three belong in the cross bar hotel.
Eddie

Atlantic City, NJ

#10 May 22, 2010
They should fire the company's treasurer,David Wesley. He should have known some thing was a wrong if a store is $39,000 short in a month.

Alexandria, VA

#12 May 22, 2010
Corporate greed wrote:
When you consider how much money was stolen versus how long it went on without notice you begin to understand the phenomenal amount of money that passes through these O'Connell outlets.
Hasn't anyone ever wondered why gas prices in the Berkshires are higher than the surrounding areas? Could it be because there are only two suppliers who obviously get together and fix prices?
Corporate greed is never pretty.
Wrong.
It's a wonder that fuel prices aren't even higher in the Berkshires given the distance from major terminals that the fuel must be transported.
The obvious reason there are so few suppliers is that there is simply not enough profit in it for more suppliers than there are.
Like too many ignorant Leftists on these threads, you jump to conclusions when there is no evidence to support your conspiratorial assumptions.
None

Houston, TX

#13 May 22, 2010
Eviction? We,ll see. It seems that Wheel Estates evicts who they want to.
None

Houston, TX

#14 May 22, 2010
Considering this is a drug problem that was brought into the community while others were not.
Nervy Glenn

Altamont, NY

#15 May 22, 2010
<quoted text>
Wrong.
It's a wonder that fuel prices aren't even higher in the Berkshires given the distance from major terminals that the fuel must be transported.
The obvious reason there are so few suppliers is that there is simply not enough profit in it for more suppliers than there are.
Like too many ignorant Leftists on these threads, you jump to conclusions when there is no evidence to support your conspiratorial assumptions.
You've got a hell of a lot of nerve to even get involved in this discussion you price-gouging puke. We remember what you did during the Arab oil embargo. Get lost.

Alexandria, VA

#16 May 22, 2010
Nervy Glenn wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got a hell of a lot of nerve to even get involved in this discussion you price-gouging puke. We remember what you did during the Arab oil embargo. Get lost.
Hey, do you want facts or do you want to wallow in Leftist fiction?If there were money in it, there would be fuel suppliers lining up to open up locations in Berklshire County.
As it is, one is lucky to find the few stations that exist.

Alexandria, VA

#17 May 22, 2010
Nervy Glenn wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus, Einstein, just how much per gallon of fuel sold do you think a fuel retailer actually makes?
Ariestu

Albany, NY

#18 May 22, 2010
None wrote:
Eviction? We,ll see. It seems that Wheel Estates evicts who they want to.
None wrote:
Considering this is a drug problem that was brought into the community while others were not.
WHAT????
Mrs Grundy

Schodack Landing, NY

#19 May 22, 2010
There's word around town that the Lanesorough police chief, Frances Mark Bashara, is about to resign his public post. This is good news!

Adopting MSNBC's Keith Olbermann's nightly award to deserving recipients:

Frances Mark Bashara is "today's worst person in the [whole freaking] World!"
Ozwad

Springfield, MA

#20 May 22, 2010
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Inconvienence plus won't even give a fleet discount.Just ask the local trucking or bus companies.They do this because there is no competition. I hate the one on route 8 in North Adams.You get a dirty look if you want a delli order because the minimum wage lacley thinks the local shabby looking slobs shouldn't have to wait for you to buy food when they are after cigaretts and scratch tickets.
Ariestu

Albany, NY

#21 May 22, 2010
Heller,
months ago one of my non-offensive posts kept getting rejected and you told me where to send it but I've lost that info. Could you re-send please?
I'm wondering if the subject of it is the reason for the censorship?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkshire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Again, why was Barry and Roberto not 2 hr Tanaka 4
News PHS 'Prank Night' proves costly (Jun '11) 3 hr cops are liars an... 10
News Pittsfield Police officer on leave amid probe i... 3 hr cops are liars an... 28
$316,000 rehabbed home (Jul '13) 3 hr cops are liars an... 10
News Valleyhead, a school for girls, closes (Mar '09) 9 hr Rebeccaglen 253
Linda Tyer 9 hr Praxis33 3
News Lewis Lent evidence search at Greylock Glen end... 9 hr Praxis33 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berkshire Mortgages