City sacks police officer

City sacks police officer

There are 81 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Apr 24, 2008, titled City sacks police officer. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Mayor James M. Ruberto yesterday officially fired police Officer Patrick Duffy for allegedly punching a subdued and handcuffed Pittsfield man in November 2006 and for lying about it in police reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Bernard P Fife

South Hadley, MA

#1 Apr 24, 2008
It is about time they got rid of this bum. But what kind of crap is this that he gets paid while suspended? They ought to make him pay back the money.Maybe he can get a job as a school crossing guard as long as he can promise not to hit any kids.
Just wondering

United States

#2 Apr 24, 2008
At least he is gone. Just hope that Civil Service does not rule in his favor. Time to move on.
mmmmmmmmmmmm

Albany, NY

#4 Apr 24, 2008
He can punch a defenseless & bound man in the face w/ his fist yet " The district attorney's office declines to pursue potential charges against Duffy so that the city of Pittsfield can seek his dismissal." Why not press charges & when he is found guilty, seek his dismissal. Sounds like the good ole boys network. If it would have been some first time marijuana offender the DA's office would seek a 2 year mandatory minimum jail sentence. It is amazing if you read the eagle how many drug offenders get such long prison sentences yet the violent offenders, get small sentences & in this case, not even prosecuted.

Since: Apr 08

United States

#5 Apr 24, 2008
Sounds like a classy guy.

Life is going to get a lot harder for him without a badge to hide behind.
Herrick

Albany, NY

#6 Apr 24, 2008
It is very easy for every person to read a paper which never tells the whole truth and say duffy is a bad cop, oh but what about nick he has been in the paper for months on end and he has even tried killing people, robbing people and is a drug dealer and gang member. I guess you all never read any of those articles only the one of a cop trying to do his job and getting ****ed for it. there are always two sides to every story and everyone here is only believing one side!!!!!
Blaming Education

Buffalo, NY

#7 Apr 24, 2008
Herrick wrote:
It is very easy for every person to read a paper which never tells the whole truth and say duffy is a bad cop, oh but what about nick he has been in the paper for months on end and he has even tried killing people, robbing people and is a drug dealer and gang member. I guess you all never read any of those articles only the one of a cop trying to do his job and getting ****ed for it. there are always two sides to every story and everyone here is only believing one side!!!!!
There isn't two sides to this story. The pig put someone in a handcuffs and beat him.

That is borderline torture - maybe not at the level of waterboading, but it is high enough of a level where two intelligent people (not you) could argue whether or not what the pig would be against the Geneva Convention.
Fake Jimmy Ruberto

Buffalo, NY

#8 Apr 24, 2008
I don't know why I'm not getting blamed more for keeping him on the force after Duffy tried to rape that girl.

I put the citizens of Pittsfield at risk just to score political points with the union of the oinker-brigade.
journaList

AOL

#9 Apr 24, 2008
I don't know enough about the case to make a judgement.As far as I can see, we only know one side of the story. It seems that others get away with much more than what this officer supposedly did.
Worried

Oceanside, NY

#10 Apr 24, 2008
Herrick wrote:
I am sure there is another side to this story but punching someone in the face while he is in handcuffs is not an option. He should have been terminating that very day. Anyone else in any other occupation would have been terminated within that week without pay. He is a bully!
Eric

AOL

#11 Apr 24, 2008
Every Police Chief back to and including Stankiewicz has been a joke, or worse. It's no wonder lowlifes like Duffy pull, and more often than not get away with, this crap.
IRON THUMB

Glens Falls, NY

#12 Apr 24, 2008
journaList wrote:
I don't know enough about the case to make a judgement.As far as I can see, we only know one side of the story. It seems that others get away with much more than what this officer supposedly did.
True, what I don't understand with Riello's dept. left a mess. while acting [email protected], is doing two jobs, make Winn the chief already, or is the mayor and Jerry Lee waiting a moral boost. Its not good to wait this long, you wouldn't do it for the school superintendant, wake up.
Eric

AOL

#13 Apr 24, 2008
IRON THUMB wrote:
<quoted text>True, what I don't understand with Riello's dept. left a mess. while acting [email protected], is doing two jobs, make Winn the chief already, or is the mayor and Jerry Lee waiting a moral boost. Its not good to wait this long, you wouldn't do it for the school superintendant, wake up.
Winn will never be chief. He possesses the one quality the politicians will not tolerate in a police chief...integrity.
truckdriver

Watervliet, NY

#14 Apr 24, 2008
Blaming Education wrote:
<quoted text>
There isn't two sides to this story. The pig put someone in a handcuffs and beat him.
That is borderline torture - maybe not at the level of waterboading, but it is high enough of a level where two intelligent people (not you) could argue whether or not what the pig would be against the Geneva Convention.
He must be a Republican
IRON THUMB

Glens Falls, NY

#15 Apr 24, 2008
Eric wrote:
<quoted text> Winn will never be chief. He possesses the one quality the politicians will not tolerate in a police chief...integrity.
Don't bet the farm on it!
Nothing better to do

Buffalo, NY

#16 Apr 24, 2008
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
Hilary

Buffalo, NY

#17 Apr 24, 2008
truckdriver wrote:
<quoted text>
He must be a Republican
He must be a secret Muslim.
Eric

AOL

#18 Apr 24, 2008
IRON THUMB wrote:
<quoted text>Don't bet the farm on it!
That Winn won't be chief, or that he doesn't have integrity?
IRON THUMB

Buffalo, NY

#19 Apr 24, 2008
Neither. The two are not mutually exclusive, they are complimentary.

Are you retarded?
Pittsfield Citizen

Pittsfield, MA

#20 Apr 24, 2008
Sad that there are men like this that are "protecting and serving" our community!
IRON THUMB

Glens Falls, NY

#21 Apr 24, 2008
Eric wrote:
<quoted text>That Winn won't be chief, or that he doesn't have integrity?
come on Eric-CHIEF!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkshire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tom Fontaine 1 hr The Worlds Bigges... 6
News Police dog locates North Adams stabbing suspect 6 hr anonymous 6
Trumps manufacturing council 16 hr The Worlds Bigges... 25
News Our Opinion: Berkshires, nation, rally against ... 19 hr The Head of Praxis33 15
News Court case begins over fate of embattled Pittsf... 22 hr Cops are Liars an... 14
News Me, myself and I (Aug '08) Wed Matt The Thief 6
News Stockbridge man facing drug, weapon charges aft... Tue Cops are Sociopaths 1

Berkshire Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berkshire Mortgages