East Oakland Foothill Square opening and job fair: End of the food desert?

Jan 13, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Oakland Local

A mall in a notoriously economically depressed part of East Oakland is being reborn after a 20-year effort to recast it and revitalize the area.

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2014
WTF?

Pleasanton, CA

#1 Jan 13, 2014
Things you will hear at the new Foothill Square:
"shots fired!"
"Who took my car?"
"Crack sale, today only!"
"Police are looking for a robbery suspect, described as a black male."
"Border Brothers? I thought you meant Borders Book Store!"
"Damn that food be greasy!"
"They had another riot at the Foot Locker?"
"The suspects gained entry through the roof."
"Sideshow in the parking lot!"
"Security guard arrested for selling drugs."
rick

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Jan 14, 2014
I live 2 blocks away. Wont work. People wont allow it.
very concern

Oakland, CA

#3 Mar 6, 2014
I hope everyone in Oakland really appreciate our new mall. It has been YEARS! since we have been able to enjoy shopping within our own city.
Downtown shopping gone,upscale shopping does not exist in Oakland (it used too) not anymore!
HELLO we have someone who has taken a risk to invest money into Oakland to help generate money so WE can build our community.

We complain about this and that; what isn't being done in Oakland, let's appreciate what is being done we will have more!

The sad is the people who do read this aren't the ones I need to be speaking too...
WTF?2

United States

#4 Mar 7, 2014
very concern wrote:
I hope everyone in Oakland really appreciate our new mall. It has been YEARS! since we have been able to enjoy shopping within our own city.
Downtown shopping gone,upscale shopping does not exist in Oakland (it used too) not anymore!
HELLO we have someone who has taken a risk to invest money into Oakland to help generate money so WE can build our community.

We complain about this and that; what isn't being done in Oakland, let's appreciate what is being done we will have more!

The sad is the people who do read this aren't the ones I need to be speaking too...
I'm going to make a wild bet here, by the illiterate way you write, I'm thinking you are a product of the Oakland Unified School District? Just a guess mind you.
IDK

San Leandro, CA

#5 Mar 8, 2014
Drove up to the parking lot and noticed that Ross was quite busy on the first day. A good sign. The security guards looked a little questionable though as they were frequently checking their smartphones while grouped together sitting in their golf cart. If this is the type of security that comes with this plaza then I don't know how many residents and customers in the area will take this revitalization project seriously.
Hoop D

Fremont, CA

#6 Mar 8, 2014
IDK wrote:
Drove up to the parking lot and noticed that Ross was quite busy on the first day. A good sign. The security guards looked a little questionable though as they were frequently checking their smartphones while grouped together sitting in their golf cart. If this is the type of security that comes with this plaza then I don't know how many residents and customers in the area will take this revitalization project seriously.
I'm guessing they were calling their friends over to rob and steal.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 min The real deal AB 18,865
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 27 min Frankie Rizzo 200,580
New vision taking shape for area around Oakland... 3 hr April 5
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 5 hr Macko mono 5,000
Canada tops in key measures of scientific literacy 8 hr Michael 1
Indictment in CHP copter laser shining in Oakland 12 hr Just Wonder'n 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 14 hr Tank ever 7,926
•••

Berkeley News Video

•••
•••

Berkeley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••