Berkeley's next smoking ban may hit home

Nov 15, 2013 Full story: SFGate 10

Marty Dowers has a smoke along Telegraph Avenue. A new proposal would ban smoking in many single-family homes.

Full Story

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

#1 Nov 15, 2013
If smoke, toilet odors and cooking odors can freely "waft" through these buildings, there are serious fire code violations. Shared ventilation is NOT allowed in residential buildings. Building inspectors need to be called.
FYI

Boonsboro, MD

#2 Nov 16, 2013
Antis live for toilet odors.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#3 Nov 17, 2013
generalsn1234567 wrote:
If smoke, toilet odors and cooking odors can freely "waft" through these buildings, there are serious fire code violations. Shared ventilation is NOT allowed in residential buildings. Building inspectors need to be called.
You have just proven how ignorant you are. Air leaks through multiple sources including electrical and water fittings. An apartment is not air tight. If it were, you would breathe up all of the oxygen within that apartment and turn blue and die. Not that I am saddened over the prospect of a smoker dying from a lack of oxygen as it happens all the time due to COPD.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#4 Nov 17, 2013
generalsn1234567 wrote:
By the way, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG about shared ventilation. There are many instances where it is acceptable: 13-200-380 [Natural l] Light and ventilation. section of the Chicago municipal code addresses this. Of course, how would you know? You read the nicotine addict's respomse booklet to smoking bans and parrot the talking points without ever checking to see if the points are correct.
Tell Me

Winnipeg, Canada

#5 Nov 17, 2013
generalsn1234567 wrote:
How does one differentiate between the stench of toilet odors and the smoker's themselves? I've been in line ups at the bank etc and in walks a smoker that smells like skunk feces and I'm lookin round for the skunk!
Former US Sardene

Westlake, OH

#6 Nov 18, 2013
Please pay no mind to Generalsn1234567. He is Topix resident idiot. In case you are wondering, yes, it is true he has no clue what comes after 7.

Chicago

#7 Mar 30, 2014
Shared ventilations IS used in school and office buildings where a percentage of outside air is brought in. The air is exhausted in washrooms, kitchens and shop areas, not to be recirculated.

Chicago

#8 Mar 30, 2014
bud_schmones wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG about shared ventilation. There are many instances where it is acceptable: 13-200-380 [Natural l] Light and ventilation. section of the Chicago municipal code addresses this. Of course, how would you know? You read the nicotine addict's respomse booklet to smoking bans and parrot the talking points without ever checking to see if the points are correct.
Electrical outlets are shared in individual rooms on the same electric meter. The electric service for each unit is piped on opposite sides of the firewall, that's why it IS a firewall.

Chicago

#10 Apr 1, 2014
Former US Sardene wrote:
Please pay no mind to Generalsn1234567. He is Topix resident idiot. In case you are wondering, yes, it is true he has no clue what comes after 7.
The "generalsn" was a name I had on my pc for friends who had no sn to use when we had to use AOL dial-up to go online after the time limits were removed,so my e-mail wouldn't be cluttered with their stuff.. I had to add some numbers when I tried to use it on Yahoo.
Georgia on My Mine

Sonoma, CA

#11 Apr 2, 2014
Hey, you liberdal froouts. God dont want no bans on anything what aint banned in the Holy Scripturre. Without guns and so on we would still be run over by the dinosars and then where would you be at? huh? huh?
That is what is wrong. Gas would be 99 cents a gallon and cars would be a couple hunnerd if they was no reglations. Join the teaparty and join GOD's CHILDRERN.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 55 min neveratfault 19,244
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 6 hr Los Angeles 200,987
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 8 hr ForkBelly 7,962
Signs in groundwater chemistry make help scient... 10 hr Ben 1
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 14 hr Flaggstaff 5,083
Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 16 hr Jim_Bakker 16,910
Serial flasher spotted in downtown Oakland Mon OMG 1
•••

Berkeley News Video

•••
Berkeley Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Berkeley Jobs

•••
•••