oiuk

Ridgewood, NY

#5122 Oct 29, 2013
I actually think that telephone interpreting has bright future, it's cost effective, it will be required by law in many states, it takes less time to arrange than onsite etc...
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5123 Oct 30, 2013
Dear Qiuk and the rest of our readers. You are right about selling ourselves for pennies. These sharks, the language companies make an amazing money by our hard work. On the top of it, they can easily replace us for someone cheaper. We are the building blocks of their existence and yet get treated like flies. If we make sound, they simply kills us. Anyhow, I know LL has taken over many smaller companies and monopoly is going on as everything else. Some of us who rely on this little money for survival must go in the funnel and get sucked in. The problem is OPI people have no organization and when there is none, they can not be heard. Lets hope and dream about the OPI union who demands higher pay. Lets hope it happens.
oiuk wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, I'm searching for new contracts in fear that the ones I have will be soon "devoured". However, I'm not sure LL is doing so well with what it bought, there are too many ads for hire from Language Line recently. Anyways, I think it's interpreters' fault. They shouldn't agree to those ridiculous pay rates. I was offered some crazy rates with them, like 30 cents or something like that. Besides, they would like me to follow a schedule! I wonder how much LL charges their clients per minute, this info should be distributed among the LL workers. They can afford to pay more and will if no one will work for less... But, unfortunately some people agree to it. Hate to say it, but the problem is not even in the people that live outside the US but in the US residents!!! How can one survive on that, and why would you work for that rate???
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5124 Nov 5, 2013
OPI environment s a perfect ground for no-union workforce. Very few of us know who our co-workers are and even if we do - as working from home OPIs we are perfectly "atomized" to prevent any unionization ( e.g. LL would show actual interpreters being on the line at a given moment on their "interpreter's dashboard" but they'd never disclose to us other OPIs whereabouts). Our job is one of few that do not toot terms like "teamwork". There's simply no "teamwork" here. Unless we're talking about big call centers....
I'm quite skeptical about future unionization of OPI contractors or even employees. Let me here quote an English translation of one of the greatest film made by Werner Herzog : "Every man for himself and God against them all".
oiuk

Ridgewood, NY

#5125 Nov 5, 2013
Yeah, union is probably not such a realistic solution. The only good idea I have so far is to create a company where every interpreter would be a shareholder and divide the income equally while also divide the expenses equally to maintain a call center. After all, those companies are just a middle man, we are the ones who provide the actual service
strivin4balance

Moscow, ID

#5126 Nov 6, 2013
oiuk wrote:
Yeah, union is probably not such a realistic solution. The only good idea I have so far is to create a company where every interpreter would be a shareholder and divide the income equally while also divide the expenses equally to maintain a call center. After all, those companies are just a middle man, we are the ones who provide the actual service
I totally agree with oiuk, we need to grasp some control to rid ourselves from the unfair wages we are paid. I for one was thinking to move to new york and I am not sure how I can ever make it on my pay there. I too have some ideas that can contribute to what Oiuk mentioned , is someone interested to get more in depth discussion ?
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5127 Nov 6, 2013
I heard that NYC is a great place to live now. Some call it "dumpster diving capital of the world"
Lots of free food, furniture, electronics. Did I mention free food ? Yummy...
strivin4balance

Moscow, ID

#5128 Nov 7, 2013
MIDISymphony wrote:
I heard that NYC is a great place to live now. Some call it "dumpster diving capital of the world"
Lots of free food, furniture, electronics. Did I mention free food ? Yummy...
SO I heard as well MIDI :), but that however might work for less fortunate people who have disabilities and can't pursue a job. In my case (all praise is due to God) I have a degree in medicine and speak three languages. Medical interpretation like any other profession should allow us to live off without the need of looking elsewhere. Those companies make big money which is all well and good, but why take advantage of interpreters is the sad part. I reiterate , we should find ways to gain some control.
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5129 Nov 8, 2013
You present a maximaist approach. I have always been a minimalist as far as life expectations are concerned. I have double masters : in theoretical physics and finances and I can communicate in seven languages. Still I do not have high expectation of living in America. I landed here almost thirty years ago only because the country I was born and raised at simply dumped me (together with my seven month pregnant wife and four years old son). We hate to move voluntarily and that's the only reason we're staying where we'd been dumped... To quote Brad Pitt from the very last scene of "Killing them softly" movie : "...America is NOT a country. It's one big [expletive] business where [expletive] money is made on [expletive] human stupidity..." You may show them your foreign degrees and you may show them how intelligent and high culture guy you are. All they'll do is spitting their fast food on you and say their sacramental "oops..." or - at best -they will ignore you.
strivin4balance

Moscow, ID

#5130 Nov 8, 2013
MIDISymphony wrote:
You present a maximaist approach. I have always been a minimalist as far as life expectations are concerned. I have double masters : in theoretical physics and finances and I can communicate in seven languages. Still I do not have high expectation of living in America. I landed here almost thirty years ago only because the country I was born and raised at simply dumped me (together with my seven month pregnant wife and four years old son). We hate to move voluntarily and that's the only reason we're staying where we'd been dumped... To quote Brad Pitt from the very last scene of "Killing them softly" movie : "...America is NOT a country. It's one big [expletive] business where [expletive] money is made on [expletive] human stupidity..." You may show them your foreign degrees and you may show them how intelligent and high culture guy you are. All they'll do is spitting their fast food on you and say their sacramental "oops..." or - at best -they will ignore you.
You can call it maximalist , I call it being independent and honest ...aid money as far as I know is due to people with life challenges and / difficulties, wouldn't you agree? All I was trying to say without being too complicated is, we should be paid a fair wage without the need of putting our hands out asking for help. I am certified to work with my degree in the US BTW yet I am still in the process of furthering my education and so medical interpretation is more convenient for me at the moment. I worked briefly with my degree and was so grateful for the salary and benefits I enjoyed back then and now that I shifted gears, working in the med interpretation field..... I think there is an apparent abuse for people who land this job.
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5131 Nov 8, 2013
Any employee in the US is subject to abuse to certain extent. What I enjoy in my current work status is being an independent contractor. Difference between being your own boss and being told/talked down on by your bosses as an employee is like a difference between renting an apartment and owning a house. Even though sometimes renting makes more financial sense, once you own you will never (willfully) rent again. It's like a path of no return. I'm quite happy about being an OPI IC and I would NEVER voluntarily become an employee again. No matter how much they'd pay me ( I know that it'd be not much, by the way....). I'd rather adjust my lifestyle level to my income , than keep racing for higher and higher income to satisfy my current lifestyle level. Unfortunately, the latter is the way contemporary hedonistic societies function. What I like most about my current job is staying at home all day so I don't have to deal with people on face-to-face basis. For many years I had to do that and I always felt violated and out of place. Staying at home puts me "at the helm", too. My wife and son appreciate house being always spotlessly clean and organized, tasty homemade meals being served, small repairs being done by me ( saves a lot of money- believe me ). My family always knows where I am and I also feel safer not having to commute to work every day. We only need one car ( saves money, again).
oiuk

Ridgewood, NY

#5132 Nov 11, 2013
MIDISymphony wrote:
Any employee in the US is subject to abuse to certain extent. What I enjoy in my current work status is being an independent contractor. Difference between being your own boss and being told/talked down on by your bosses as an employee is like a difference between renting an apartment and owning a house. Even though sometimes renting makes more financial sense, once you own you will never (willfully) rent again. It's like a path of no return. I'm quite happy about being an OPI IC and I would NEVER voluntarily become an employee again. No matter how much they'd pay me ( I know that it'd be not much, by the way....). I'd rather adjust my lifestyle level to my income , than keep racing for higher and higher income to satisfy my current lifestyle level. Unfortunately, the latter is the way contemporary hedonistic societies function. What I like most about my current job is staying at home all day so I don't have to deal with people on face-to-face basis. For many years I had to do that and I always felt violated and out of place. Staying at home puts me "at the helm", too. My wife and son appreciate house being always spotlessly clean and organized, tasty homemade meals being served, small repairs being done by me ( saves a lot of money- believe me ). My family always knows where I am and I also feel safer not having to commute to work every day. We only need one car ( saves money, again).
Dear MIDI,
Thank you for spelling out the exact reason I am so eager to secure the possibility for myself and other so talented people out there to have the FREEDOM you are talking about. I don't think it is about being maximalist or minimalist, actually I don't even think it has anything to do with financial greediness at all. The amazing feeling of freedom one gets by working as an independent contractor can only be fully understood by people who worked as an "employee" in this amazing country. The slavery of being an employee is doubled for immigrants, who are often looked down at by employers. Although as I noticed, even regular Americans are treated at work like slaves.. Welcome to as they used to say in Soviet Union "rotten capitalism". You're right , New York is a dumpster, I haven't encountered free food yet, but everyone wants to use you for free or at least for minimum pay, because they know there are millions of desperate newcomers to replace you in a blink of an eye. I interpret in 3 languages and I thoroughly enjoy it, If I had to work for someone "full time" again, I'd go straight back home:) As you mentioned, this country is about business, so we have to set up one if we want to retain our positions. I keep having nightmares the companies I contract with are acquired by LL and I have to look for a JOB!!!:)
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5133 Nov 12, 2013
Oiuk,
LL ultimately WILL take over all major players in the OPI market. Only question is who will be taken when. Hopefully some current startups will fledge to full size agencies and we will be able to sign up with them. As they become eaten by LL, another batch might mature and we will still have our heads above the water. Language Line is like a malignant tumor. It feeds on grown and healthy tissue in order to ultimately turn it into shapeless mish-mash. There is a lot of truth in your idea of modern slavery in the United States. Labor market is 100% unregulated. Employers may hire and fire at will. Additionally, there's no social safety network in this country . No publicly funded health care system. Higher education is becoming increasingly expensive and peer pressure forces parents to borrow against anything they own to finance their offsprings' college. Americans are on their own with no social support. Therefore increased anxiety exists in workplaces, as losing one's job equals to losing everything ( mainly ability to borrow more)and finally submerging into sheer poverty. Since I arrived in the US from a communist block country I was always astonished by striking similarities between mentality of Homo Sovieticus and Homo Americanus. In fact, there's not so many substantial differences between the Soviet and US systems. Here in America we have "monoparty" political system. We have media that very efficiently brainwash the population. "Educational system" helps a lot in that matter, too. Fear of secret police agents knocking on your door at dawn has been simply replaced by your banker saying "NO". American society is even more xenophobic, than population of former Soviet Union. Foreigners are looked at with reservation and distrust. Traveling abroad is accessible but costs are prohibitive for debt - stricken Americans. Additionally they're told that this country must be the paradise because "everybody dreams about living in America".
I personally like it here but I live in a small town and don't have to deal with people much. I think I might be equally happy anywhere else in a comparable environment.
oiuk

Ridgewood, NY

#5134 Nov 12, 2013
MIDISymphony wrote:
Oiuk,
LL ultimately WILL take over all major players in the OPI market. Only question is who will be taken when. Hopefully some current startups will fledge to full size agencies and we will be able to sign up with them. As they become eaten by LL, another batch might mature and we will still have our heads above the water. Language Line is like a malignant tumor. It feeds on grown and healthy tissue in order to ultimately turn it into shapeless mish-mash. There is a lot of truth in your idea of modern slavery in the United States. Labor market is 100% unregulated. Employers may hire and fire at will. Additionally, there's no social safety network in this country . No publicly funded health care system. Higher education is becoming increasingly expensive and peer pressure forces parents to borrow against anything they own to finance their offsprings' college. Americans are on their own with no social support. Therefore increased anxiety exists in workplaces, as losing one's job equals to losing everything ( mainly ability to borrow more)and finally submerging into sheer poverty. Since I arrived in the US from a communist block country I was always astonished by striking similarities between mentality of Homo Sovieticus and Homo Americanus. In fact, there's not so many substantial differences between the Soviet and US systems. Here in America we have "monoparty" political system. We have media that very efficiently brainwash the population. "Educational system" helps a lot in that matter, too. Fear of secret police agents knocking on your door at dawn has been simply replaced by your banker saying "NO". American society is even more xenophobic, than population of former Soviet Union. Foreigners are looked at with reservation and distrust. Traveling abroad is accessible but costs are prohibitive for debt - stricken Americans. Additionally they're told that this country must be the paradise because "everybody dreams about living in America".
I personally like it here but I live in a small town and don't have to deal with people much. I think I might be equally happy anywhere else in a comparable environment.
I know what you mean by "happy not to deal with people". In this sense I think New York is much better because one encounters many open minded and highly educated individuals. Even if they are not so educated, they are still sharp, street smart or whatever you might call it. You do not find many of those ever cheerful subservient people who have been thoroughly brainwashed by media and think there is nowhere else to go because they are in the center of universe right now:) People here think, reflect, analyze, they do not just consume the info , their minds are not latent... Besides, many people are either new immigrants or a second generation immigrants, which keeps the things "alive". I can't believe I'm praising New York:) Oh, but the cost of living is DEADLY expensive. I might want to look into those free food options you mentioned:)
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5136 Nov 13, 2013
"Free food option" is always an option. Additionally it puts natives into shame. Allegedly 98% of Americans adhere to some kind of religion. Out of those allegedly 75% are Christians. And the Bible says : "You shall not wasteth the food Lord sendeth to you". Actually my standpoint on dumpster diving is not just getting free food but showing Americans how wasteful and narrowsighted consumerism-infested they are.
anonymous interpreter

Lima, Peru

#5137 Nov 23, 2013
CTS language link now wants to Hire Over the pones Interpreters in Peru
And pay them a Crappy Rate
anonymous interpreter

Lima, Peru

#5138 Nov 23, 2013
MIDISymphony wrote:
Oiuk,
LL ultimately WILL take over all major players in the OPI market. Only question is who will be taken when. Hopefully some current startups will fledge to full size agencies and we will be able to sign up with them. As they become eaten by LL, another batch might mature and we will still have our heads above the water. Language Line is like a malignant tumor. It feeds on grown and healthy tissue in order to ultimately turn it into shapeless mish-mash. There is a lot of truth in your idea of modern slavery in the United States. Labor market is 100% unregulated. Employers may hire and fire at will. Additionally, there's no social safety network in this country . No publicly funded health care system. Higher education is becoming increasingly expensive and peer pressure forces parents to borrow against anything they own to finance their offsprings' college. Americans are on their own with no social support. Therefore increased anxiety exists in workplaces, as losing one's job equals to losing everything ( mainly ability to borrow more)and finally submerging into sheer poverty. Since I arrived in the US from a communist block country I was always astonished by striking similarities between mentality of Homo Sovieticus and Homo Americanus. In fact, there's not so many substantial differences between the Soviet and US systems. Here in America we have "monoparty" political system. We have media that very efficiently brainwash the population. "Educational system" helps a lot in that matter, too. Fear of secret police agents knocking on your door at dawn has been simply replaced by your banker saying "NO". American society is even more xenophobic, than population of former Soviet Union. Foreigners are looked at with reservation and distrust. Traveling abroad is accessible but costs are prohibitive for debt - stricken Americans. Additionally they're told that this country must be the paradise because "everybody dreams about living in America".
I personally like it here but I live in a small town and don't have to deal with people much. I think I might be equally happy anywhere else in a comparable environment.
LL has a call center in Peru, They pay 3$ the hour but its nonstop calls in 60min the Interpreter will Interpret 59min
Most of them are not happy because the want a raise
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5139 Nov 26, 2013
I don't think I will be moving to Peru soon to earn USD 3 per hour for continuous talking....
I'd rather make my $10K/year here in Ohio. What I value most is a relaxed atmosphere of the US state with 40% actual unemployment rate and extremally low costs of living :)
anonymous interpreter

Lima, Peru

#5141 Nov 26, 2013
anonymous interpreter

Lima, Peru

#5143 Nov 27, 2013
From what I understand FEMA calls with CTS can only be handle in the US
Now CTS wants to forwards those calls to Peru for 4.50$ the hour.
como

Portland, OR

#5144 Jan 16, 2014
MIDISymphony wrote:
<quoted text>
Back in September of 2012 I premonitively stepped out of PI contract and I have had no regrets ever since. Currently I only contract with only one agency and I have never been happier professionally. Call volume and quality of client base is very good. I'm never asked for my "schedule": I simply log in and out at will. Nobody ever "monitored" my calls - at least I was never informed about it. The agency's role is limited to providing calls and mailing out checks. I have a feeling though that as they grow bigger and richer they will also - just like PI - grow more arrogant and we will part at some moment. But I just seize the day and I'm trying to find happiness with every single breath of air...
What company do you work for now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former teacher at Hayward Catholic school order... (Sep '14) 13 min soniaighalo 2
News How To Build A Better Bus Service: Any Ideas, L... 12 hr Ssophiiee 3
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) 14 hr Evenhanded Approach 17,045
News One dead, three wounded in East Oakland shootings 20 hr Disgusted 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jul 28 Samuel-7g-Jackson 20,089
News Fremont: Couple arrested after hit-and-run, veh... Jul 28 john 1
News Puberty Is Coming Earlier, But That Doesn't Mea... (Oct '13) Jul 28 Shane 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berkeley Mortgages