MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5109 Jul 21, 2013
Ali, 15 US cents per minute should be a great rate in Peru, where average cost of living index is like 1/10 of the US'
I'm still not moving to Peru because I need American convenience :)
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5110 Jul 24, 2013
Oh same here. Seems like the resumes go down the tube and no one looks at them.
strivin4balance wrote:
I mailed my resume' to CLI last year and never heard back from them :S.
MIDISymphony

United States

#5111 Jul 28, 2013
Hopeful wrote:
Oh same here. Seems like the resumes go down the tube and no one looks at them.
<quoted text>
Reading it makes me sad.
Corona del Mar

Salt Lake City, UT

#5112 Oct 4, 2013
Good afternoon to all OPIs. Long time no see. How's everyone doing? It's been a while since I last wrote.
hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5113 Oct 6, 2013
We are doing good. I am still interpreting. I do PI mostly because I get the most calls from them. I did send my resume to CLI and no one even bothered to reply back. What dose it take to get their attention? Thanks for asking about how are we doing our good friend Corona del Mar.
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5114 Oct 10, 2013
hopeful wrote:
We are doing good. I am still interpreting. I do PI mostly because I get the most calls from them. I did send my resume to CLI and no one even bothered to reply back. What dose it take to get their attention? Thanks for asking about how are we doing our good friend Corona del Mar.
I thought Pacific Interpreters were no longer in business and they were acquired by LL as of Jan 1st of 2013. Could you please clarify ?
hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5115 Oct 10, 2013
Oh, they are still in operation and yet also a part of LL. I know LL hired people also and pay them more than PI. I work with PI and still get calls from PI. I am pretty disappointed at Cyracom that does not send calls except odd times like 2 am. I am not working as hard lately since I am getting burnt out with this profession. I try to find different jobs on the side. Anyhow, glad to hear from our old timers of this site. We have been loyal to each other for over 6 years. BTW, why can't we meet at facebook or something someday to get to see each other faces and know each other. Who are we afraid of?
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5116 Oct 10, 2013
hopeful wrote:
Oh, they are still in operation and yet also a part of LL. I know LL hired people also and pay them more than PI. I work with PI and still get calls from PI. I am pretty disappointed at Cyracom that does not send calls except odd times like 2 am. I am not working as hard lately since I am getting burnt out with this profession. I try to find different jobs on the side. Anyhow, glad to hear from our old timers of this site. We have been loyal to each other for over 6 years. BTW, why can't we meet at facebook or something someday to get to see each other faces and know each other. Who are we afraid of?
Back in September of 2012 I premonitively stepped out of PI contract and I have had no regrets ever since. Currently I only contract with only one agency and I have never been happier professionally. Call volume and quality of client base is very good. I'm never asked for my "schedule": I simply log in and out at will. Nobody ever "monitored" my calls - at least I was never informed about it. The agency's role is limited to providing calls and mailing out checks. I have a feeling though that as they grow bigger and richer they will also - just like PI - grow more arrogant and we will part at some moment. But I just seize the day and I'm trying to find happiness with every single breath of air...
oiuk

Jamaica, NY

#5117 Oct 14, 2013
I have recently received an email form North West Interpreters, the OPI rate they offer is low, I was wondering if anyone here ever worked for them...
MIDISymphony

Akron, OH

#5118 Oct 14, 2013
oiuk wrote:
I have recently received an email form North West Interpreters, the OPI rate they offer is low, I was wondering if anyone here ever worked for them...
\
Recently I received several OPI contract offers from US and even Canadian agencies. All of them were scarily LOW. I think smaller agencies cut their rates and even overhead in quest to survive in the ocean depths of OPI environment ruled by The Big Shark ( Language Line Services) that is always eager to devour the prey that grew up enough to taste good in its mouth. Recent acquisition of Pacific Interpreters serves as an example. Who's gonna be next ?
strivin4balance

Cairo, Egypt

#5119 Oct 15, 2013
midi and hopeful glad to know you are still hanging there. if i may ask what would be considered as a low rate per minute and what other companies would you recommend other than PI & LL ? any two cents MIDIsymphony?:)
oiuk

Jamaica, NY

#5120 Oct 15, 2013
MIDISymphony wrote:
<quoted text>\
Recently I received several OPI contract offers from US and even Canadian agencies. All of them were scarily LOW. I think smaller agencies cut their rates and even overhead in quest to survive in the ocean depths of OPI environment ruled by The Big Shark ( Language Line Services) that is always eager to devour the prey that grew up enough to taste good in its mouth. Recent acquisition of Pacific Interpreters serves as an example. Who's gonna be next ?
I know, I'm searching for new contracts in fear that the ones I have will be soon "devoured". However, I'm not sure LL is doing so well with what it bought, there are too many ads for hire from Language Line recently. Anyways, I think it's interpreters' fault. They shouldn't agree to those ridiculous pay rates. I was offered some crazy rates with them, like 30 cents or something like that. Besides, they would like me to follow a schedule! I wonder how much LL charges their clients per minute, this info should be distributed among the LL workers. They can afford to pay more and will if no one will work for less... But, unfortunately some people agree to it. Hate to say it, but the problem is not even in the people that live outside the US but in the US residents!!! How can one survive on that, and why would you work for that rate???
oiuk

Jamaica, NY

#5121 Oct 29, 2013
I understand Cyracom hires independent contractors as well as full time employees. This fact together with the fact that there is a high turnaround in Language Line means they will never fully consume the market. There will never be enough people willing to work crazy shifts for minimum pay, those individuals are bilingual and have legal papers, so they will find something else sooner or later.I say the interpreters have to start taking the market back. We have to let the companies know that if they are calling us based on tiers, the more we charge the less calls we get, they will be treated the same way: the less they pay, the less we will log in.
oiuk

Jamaica, NY

#5122 Oct 29, 2013
I actually think that telephone interpreting has bright future, it's cost effective, it will be required by law in many states, it takes less time to arrange than onsite etc...
Hopeful

San Diego, CA

#5123 Oct 30, 2013
Dear Qiuk and the rest of our readers. You are right about selling ourselves for pennies. These sharks, the language companies make an amazing money by our hard work. On the top of it, they can easily replace us for someone cheaper. We are the building blocks of their existence and yet get treated like flies. If we make sound, they simply kills us. Anyhow, I know LL has taken over many smaller companies and monopoly is going on as everything else. Some of us who rely on this little money for survival must go in the funnel and get sucked in. The problem is OPI people have no organization and when there is none, they can not be heard. Lets hope and dream about the OPI union who demands higher pay. Lets hope it happens.
oiuk wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, I'm searching for new contracts in fear that the ones I have will be soon "devoured". However, I'm not sure LL is doing so well with what it bought, there are too many ads for hire from Language Line recently. Anyways, I think it's interpreters' fault. They shouldn't agree to those ridiculous pay rates. I was offered some crazy rates with them, like 30 cents or something like that. Besides, they would like me to follow a schedule! I wonder how much LL charges their clients per minute, this info should be distributed among the LL workers. They can afford to pay more and will if no one will work for less... But, unfortunately some people agree to it. Hate to say it, but the problem is not even in the people that live outside the US but in the US residents!!! How can one survive on that, and why would you work for that rate???
MIDISymphony

United States

#5124 Nov 5, 2013
OPI environment s a perfect ground for no-union workforce. Very few of us know who our co-workers are and even if we do - as working from home OPIs we are perfectly "atomized" to prevent any unionization ( e.g. LL would show actual interpreters being on the line at a given moment on their "interpreter's dashboard" but they'd never disclose to us other OPIs whereabouts). Our job is one of few that do not toot terms like "teamwork". There's simply no "teamwork" here. Unless we're talking about big call centers....
I'm quite skeptical about future unionization of OPI contractors or even employees. Let me here quote an English translation of one of the greatest film made by Werner Herzog : "Every man for himself and God against them all".
oiuk

Jamaica, NY

#5125 Nov 5, 2013
Yeah, union is probably not such a realistic solution. The only good idea I have so far is to create a company where every interpreter would be a shareholder and divide the income equally while also divide the expenses equally to maintain a call center. After all, those companies are just a middle man, we are the ones who provide the actual service
strivin4balance

Moscow, ID

#5126 Nov 6, 2013
oiuk wrote:
Yeah, union is probably not such a realistic solution. The only good idea I have so far is to create a company where every interpreter would be a shareholder and divide the income equally while also divide the expenses equally to maintain a call center. After all, those companies are just a middle man, we are the ones who provide the actual service
I totally agree with oiuk, we need to grasp some control to rid ourselves from the unfair wages we are paid. I for one was thinking to move to new york and I am not sure how I can ever make it on my pay there. I too have some ideas that can contribute to what Oiuk mentioned , is someone interested to get more in depth discussion ?
MIDISymphony

United States

#5127 Nov 6, 2013
I heard that NYC is a great place to live now. Some call it "dumpster diving capital of the world"
Lots of free food, furniture, electronics. Did I mention free food ? Yummy...
strivin4balance

Moscow, ID

#5128 Nov 7, 2013
MIDISymphony wrote:
I heard that NYC is a great place to live now. Some call it "dumpster diving capital of the world"
Lots of free food, furniture, electronics. Did I mention free food ? Yummy...
SO I heard as well MIDI :), but that however might work for less fortunate people who have disabilities and can't pursue a job. In my case (all praise is due to God) I have a degree in medicine and speak three languages. Medical interpretation like any other profession should allow us to live off without the need of looking elsewhere. Those companies make big money which is all well and good, but why take advantage of interpreters is the sad part. I reiterate , we should find ways to gain some control.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Berkeley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Dwight Frye 20,634
Trump Flatulence Not an Issue? 21 hr Clinton Deplorable 2
News Doctor heads to court after online sex sting (Nov '06) Wed Legal Analyst 17,388
Homeless Wont Wear Cute Costumes Tue trumple 4
News Man In Wheelchair Seen Groping Women On UC Berk... Mon tasdangel 1
News Oakland: Marchers protest police shooting in Ch... Sep 26 Go Blue Forever 1
News Race and Beyond: Let's Talk About Race and Poverty (Oct '12) Sep 25 Human 163

Berkeley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Berkeley Mortgages